Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spikeguy posted:

I played throughout the night without any problems on PC on Ultra setting. But I'm trying to load it up now and it keeps freezing on the connecting to Dragon Age Servers. Any idea what the issue is?

If you downloaded the new nvidia driver update for DA:I it's been causing problems for some, try rolling it back to yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Archimago posted:

Speaking of which, I know I'm preaching to the choir, beating a dead horse, etc. but it's kind of infuriating that literally none of the reviewers mentioned any of these problems. I guess they're just way better with computers than us and don't have these issues.

Because reviewers often have unfinished preview code the publisher provides them with a list of known bugs they're working on and hope to address in an early patch.

Unfortunately this tends to mean major bugs are ignored that might not be fixed at release.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

MinibarMatchman posted:

thinking of starting a warrior, how's that "Reaver" class?

Reaver is ridiculous, you just rampage then dragon-rage everything in sight. Currently my favorite multiplayer class. Dragon-rage has no cooldown, just takes 2% life, but rampage gives you 10% lifesteal, so you just claw everything for 10 seconds. Also does a lot of damage. I have a pretty good weapon with 211 dps and the claw hits for 500-1000 depending on passives triggering, etc.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

thinking of starting a warrior, how's that "Reaver" class?

It's acutally 'Reaver,' but it's a high-risk, high reward specialization that focuses on Damaging opponents with damage increasing the lower your heath is. But you will get an ability to heal yourself by tearing into enemies and taking their health.

The other Specializations are Champion, which is ultimate tanking and damage mitigation, and Templar, which is party buffs and enemy de-buffs with a focus on killing Demons (which would be super useful in this Demonic Invasion).

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 18, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

How are mages in this game?

In DAO and DA2, my party composition was always a defensive warrior, an archer, an offensive mage, and myself as a defensive/healing mage. I know there's not really healing in this game, but I was still curious how mages play.

Can you mix spells like you could in DAO?

No healing makes the "defensive" Mage even more important. You need to manage threat and temporary health.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Played through up until the first boss battle (Pride Demon). I keep wiping because interacting with the Rift seems extremely buggy and I spend much of the fight dancing my PC around trying to use it.

Pretty frustrated with the controls, UI, and camera. Spamming V to "search" for loot is going to get tedious and there doesn't seem to be an autorun key.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spikeguy posted:

I played throughout the night without any problems on PC on Ultra setting. But I'm trying to load it up now and it keeps freezing on the connecting to Dragon Age Servers. Any idea what the issue is?

Note: I was able to get it to play by going into offline mode.
Really? Have you never played a game on release day before? Odds are that the dragon age servers are currently melting because 5 gazillion people are trying to connect to them at the same time, just like every other popular game with an online component on release day.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

Pretty frustrated with the controls, UI, and camera. Spamming V to "search" for loot is going to get tedious and there doesn't seem to be an autorun key.

There's a toggle autorun key in the keybindings. mine was G I think.

I get some complaints by people, a lot of the UI and controls are horribly presented. But cmon, it's right there in your keybindings.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Played through up until the first boss battle (Pride Demon). I keep wiping because interacting with the Rift seems extremely buggy and I spend much of the fight dancing my PC around trying to use it.

The problem with the first boss is that Cassandra will run around and attack the adds which points the boss into your group leading to a clusterfuck. Well, and the clicking thing which is only a problem because the camera doesn't zoom out far enough.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

See my post this/last page...but yeah it's stupid. The interact thingy is actually in the sky, so you can reliabliy do it if you look UP and then click on it or hit F. But any damage will interrupt you, so if the demon is currently aggro'd on you it is impossible to continue with the mission until he decides to stop attacking you. If you're playing on nightmare, the unavoidable lightning whip will one shot you as well (including through the building - I tried to LOS him but that isn't a thing in this game apparently). You also can't get behind him - he'll turn on a dime if agrro'd to you.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

chaosapiant posted:

I was getting ready to post my thoughts on this myself, then figured I'd just reply to you. The top down camera is not quite as good as DA:O but MUCH better than DA2. I use an xbox controller on pc, but the zoom levels, and the fact that you can actually get a first person camera to swoop over the battlefield is fantastic. Once I realized I can use the right stick to zoom all the way up and rotate and the left stick to move like a disembodied camera, it really started to click. Combat feels weird coming off the back of DA/DA2, but i've grown used to it now. It really manages to marry a tactile/action feel to combat while still giving quite a bit of depth in regards to setting up strategies with the tactical camera. So far, I love it. I wish the first two games for PC had controller support now.

Are you saying you've found a way to zoom out farther? Or just that you're happy with the level of zoom?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Well multiplayer is pretty terrible. Lots of issues. If the host disconnects 30 minutes into a session, you get kicked, and don't get any xp whatsoever. Either way it just seems like a really simplified boring Diablo-like. If this was really what Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was like I'm not sure why people don't just play Diablo or Path of Exile instead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It really bugs me that there's no auto-qeueing in tactical mode. Like, that's unforgivable.

Seriously, shame on you Bioware designers. For real.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I really hope they add click and drag boxes for the tactical view for pc or at least allow you to select mutliple party members at one time. 3rd person view plays like a lovely MMO, and the whole reason I liked origins was because of the Baldurs Gate flavor of combat the tactical view offered.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hobbesmaster posted:

No healing makes the "defensive" Mage even more important. You need to manage threat and temporary health.

That sounds fun to me.

It's me. I'm the guy that loves being the healer and playing health bar whack-a-mole in MMOs.

I'm thinking of rolling with Blackwall, Varric and Vivienne for my "good" aligned mage group with Josephine as the romance.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
The Nvidia patch fixed all my problems. Ran like absolute poo poo last night, now everything at Ultra excepted No Multisampling and low AF. Pretty solid 60fps on a GTX760 OC.

Its like night and day.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
With the lovely zoom and the fact that selecting a differnet party member zooms you all the way back to where that party member is, the tactical thing is completely unusable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How are battlemages looking so far? I always spring for that class in rpgs.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Lotish please update 3rd post with my new and improved dorky elf mage lady

i deleted the other one because she was bugged as all hell. This girl looks cooler too.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

Well multiplayer is pretty terrible. Lots of issues. If the host disconnects 30 minutes into a session, you get kicked, and don't get any xp whatsoever. Either way it just seems like a really simplified boring Diablo-like. If this was really what Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was like I'm not sure why people don't just play Diablo or Path of Exile instead.
I haven't played it yet, but from watching twitch streams of multiplayer it's really nothing like ME3's multiplayer.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Anyone else get the vibe that this game was slated to be an MMO at some point in its device cycle?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Meis posted:

i deleted the other one because she was bugged as all hell. This girl looks cooler too.

nice eyebrows.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Pyronic posted:

nice eyebrows.

i know she's got mad eyebrow game, it's ok to be jealous.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meis posted:

Holy poo poo it's Sarah Silverman

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

idk who that is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

That sounds fun to me.

It's me. I'm the guy that loves being the healer and playing health bar whack-a-mole in MMOs.

I'm thinking of rolling with Blackwall, Varric and Vivienne for my "good" aligned mage group with Josephine as the romance.

If the first boss fight is any indication on hard mode the game is just like using doing a raid with a pug. Actually the AI is slightly better than pugs because the AI will actually at least briefly do what you say occasionally.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem with the first boss is that Cassandra will run around and attack the adds which points the boss into your group leading to a clusterfuck. Well, and the clicking thing which is only a problem because the camera doesn't zoom out far enough.

That and the rift just decided not to re-appear for me for some reason on my first try. Think it was due to me clicking the rift before I was told to do so by the tutorial, leading to the event never popping.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meis posted:

idk who that is

An American comedian

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

An American comedian

oh hey you're right

i think this lady is secretly a elf

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Where's the best place to buy NA keys from? I want to play this but don't want to pay full price, not one bit, no sir.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Game is downloading now. #GhostRideTheBull

Shame the multiplayer seems way less fun than ME3's was, but I think they could salvage it with more content. ME3's multiplayer wasn't perfect out of the box either.

e: I like how The Keep tries to make it seems like DA2 have a bunch of meaningful choices :lol:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Any final word on if the gameplay is any different on last-gen (360/PS3)? I've heard that graphics are a considerable step down, but I expected that. I just want to make sure that the gameplay is the same before I take the plunge.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

causticBeet posted:

Anyone else get the vibe that this game was slated to be an MMO at some point in its device cycle?

This game is 100% a single player MMO.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Mordiceius posted:

That sounds fun to me.

Eh, I'm really disliking the barrier mechanic, making it a targeted aoe is annoying. You probably get one cast on everyone before the fight starts but then after that you need to pick ranged or melee, people moving out of it, have to shuffle ranged into melee, etc. Also I swear occasionally enemies in the aoe are getting my barrier too.

Barrier should be a group wide cast or single targeted with a lower cd. Hoping guard eventually gets good enough I can stop casting on my tank.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
I had to turn FF off on my nightmare run as a mage. It was way too hard and annoying. It's night and day with how the difficulty is especially with my build. I am going with a fire crit-build, spamming fire mines and immolation feels great. Though, fire immune mobs wreck my day.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
"Be careful, the pretty ones are always the worst"

Oh Bull :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

This game is 100% a single player MMO.

Well, that's what they say about Final Fantasy XII and I love the hell out of that, so this'll probably be fine by me.

SelfOM posted:

I had to turn FF off on my nightmare run as a mage. It was way too hard and annoying. It's night and day with how the difficulty is especially with my build. I am going with a fire crit-build, spamming fire mines and immolation feels great. Though, fire immune mobs wreck my day.

Dragon Age: Origins was built around friendly fire, but it's definitely off for a reason in the sequels. I actually thought it was pretty cool in Origins, especially because I enjoyed micromanaging my melee guys to get them out of the way of any incoming fireballs, but from what I've seen of Inquisition I definitely wouldn't want to put up with it there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm at work so just poking around at things but it sounds like if I want my mage to be in armor and carrying weapons I'll be wanting to go Arcane Warrior more than Battle Mage? Or do I want Knight Enchanter instead?

quote:

e: I like how The Keep tries to make it seems like DA2 have a bunch of meaningful choices

There sure are a lot of corpses I'm importing.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Inverness posted:

Does anyone have a GTX 560 Ti? How is the game performing with it?

This was from a while back, but I didn't see an answer for you - I have a 560ti and I can run everything on high for ~30 fps, but if you tool around a bit turning things down to medium you can pull ultra textures and hit around 35-40 fps on average. You can basically run the game on high with no real issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

Harrow posted:

Dragon Age: Origins was built around friendly fire, but it's definitely off for a reason in the sequels. I actually thought it was pretty cool in Origins, especially because I enjoyed micromanaging my melee guys to get them out of the way of any incoming fireballs, but from what I've seen of Inquisition I definitely wouldn't want to put up with it there.

Yeah definitely, I played both DA:O and DA2 with friendly fire, and I think DA2 is easier than DA:I. Part of the issue is that I might have to get used to the fact that I can't even queue a move command in action mode. You always have to got to tactical cam. This wouldn't be so bad, but the fights can last a while on nightmare so it gets tedious real fast. I would stay in tactical mode, but the camera and re-centering is horrendous.

• Locked thread