Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thexerox123 posted:

Isn't that kind of a 7th Doctor thing, though? Like the ending of Paradise Towers or The Happiness Patrol... that's kind of the thing that I liked about the 7th Doctor, to be honest... seeing him topple dystopian setups and the people/aliens responsible for them.

Well in this case, the bad guy got what they deserved when their despicable and horrifying actions were completely exposed to the populace but then what happened next felt a step beyond that. The more I think about it though the more I think that was absolutely the point and I have been letting my own concerns get in the way of the obvious narrative, which is that the bad guy wasn't exactly an aberration in this society. I don't think any actual citizen of Colony 34 ever demonstrates any concern for people other than themselves unless they are forced into a corner where they HAVE to take action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I'm hopeful that was the intent, but I just couldn't help but get this gnawing doubt in the back of my head that there was a vibe of,"And the bad guy got what they deserved!" - that's probably more about me than the story though, since it is accompanied by Charlotte begging for calm.

The 7th Doctor audios seem to be picking up in quality now, which is nice since outside of a few standouts like Fearmonger and Colditz I've felt they've been weaker than the 8th, 6th or 5th Doctor have been getting.

The addition of Hex was a HUGE boost to the Seven/McShane TARDIS. Someone new to play off of and someone to take the "young companion" role.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The addition of Hex was a HUGE boost to the Seven/McShane TARDIS. Someone new to play off of and someone to take the "young companion" role.

He really does work in a way that C'Rizz didn't (so far), it's pretty remarkable. Also the reveal of his background significance (in a non-7th Doctor story!) was really quite sweet :shobon:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I hope they give The Master some one-off IT'S ME AUSTIN stories. I mean can Moffat really resist the lure of a villain who can time travel and specifically tries to make their plans as convoluted as possible?

It would fit into a "finding Gallifrey" arc pretty nicely as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I hope they give The Master some one-off IT'S ME AUSTIN stories. I mean can Moffat really resist the lure of a villain who can time travel and specifically tries to make their plans as convoluted as possible?

It would fit into a "finding Gallifrey" arc pretty nicely as well.

Doctor finally finds another crack, steps through it and.... the Master is sitting in an empty shack in Cheswick with a ham radio, going,"DOCTOR.... WHOOOOOO!?!" while giggling uncontrollably.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think any actual citizen of Colony 34 ever demonstrates any concern for people other than themselves unless they are forced into a corner where they HAVE to take action.

Yeah, that's the point I got. Seven often makes this kind of by-the-way commentary where he doesn't expect to solve the deep issues just the crisis of the moment and it's very clear in that audio; sometimes admittedly this is because he can't change the timeline, but often because it's too big a job anyway and not his responsibility. I've been rewatching Curse of Fenric where it's clear he demarcates between the various conflicts in that story and dealing with the bigger problem of an Elder God, and I get that feeling with 12's run so far too.

Speaking of Elder Gods, you'll like the latest 7 audio trilogy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Thauros posted:

The new incarnation of the Master was simply perfect IMO even though I kinda saw the reveal coming as soon as she first used the name Missy early in the series. My only complaint is that it's a shame that Michelle Lopez's incarnetion was only really featured in two episodes and we'll presumably have to get a new incarnation the next time he or she returns.

I wouldn't be so concerned. Moffat and company pay attention to what the fans say. They don't always agree or do what we say we want, I grant you, but they do know what we say. And virtually everyone has said how much they love the Gomez Master. They'd be fools not to use her again.

We should also recall that, in general, each Doctor gets one Master to bounce off of. If the Master regenerates he usually does so off screen between Doctors. So Three got Delgado, Four got decrepit skin cancer Master, Five through Seven got Ainley, we don't talk about who Eight got, Ten got three glorious minutes of Jacobi then Simm, while One, Two, Nine, and Eleven never got a Master at all.

Therefore, I'd suspect that Gomez will be Capaldi's Master all the way through. It'd shock me if she didn't get at least one more appearance before the end of Capaldi's run. Hell, given the costuming and the increased importance of UNIT making Capaldi;s time hearken back to Pertwee, we might even get a lot more Gomez Master showing up and loving things up for the Doctor. Maybe not every episode like in Pertwee's time, but more than once a season? I could see it.

Particularly since Moffat's gotta know by now exactly how awesome it is whenever you get Gomez and Capaldi on the same screen together!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jng2058 posted:

I wouldn't be so concerned. Moffat and company pay attention to what the fans say. They don't always agree or do what we say we want, I grant you, but they do know what we say. And virtually everyone has said how much they love the Gomez Master. They'd be fools not to use her again.

We should also recall that, in general, each Doctor gets one Master to bounce off of. If the Master regenerates he usually does so off screen between Doctors. So Three got Delgado, Four got decrepit skin cancer Master, Five through Seven got Ainley, we don't talk about who Eight got, Ten got three glorious minutes of Jacobi then Simm, while One, Two, Nine, and Eleven never got a Master at all.

Therefore, I'd suspect that Gomez will be Capaldi's Master all the way through. It'd shock me if she didn't get at least one more appearance before the end of Capaldi's run. Hell, given the costuming and the increased importance of UNIT making Capaldi;s time hearken back to Pertwee, we might even get a lot more Gomez Master showing up and loving things up for the Doctor. Maybe not every episode like in Pertwee's time, but more than once a season? I could see it.

Particularly since Moffat's gotta know by now exactly how awesome it is whenever you get Gomez and Capaldi on the same screen together!

quote:

we don't talk about who Eight got,

Why the hell not? MacQueen is fuckin' fantastic!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Is pretty OK for the Master, although I prefer the Monk as antagonist-Gallifreyan.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I hope they don't change the Tardis again though, now that Capaldi has made his views public, I can only expect that it will happen soon enough. I like it when things get an added sense of importance just from being around long enough and none of the recent Tardises bar, maybe, the first modern one have got that because they get switched too quickly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DoctorWhat posted:

Why the hell not? MacQueen is fuckin' fantastic!

Well in my case because I haven't gotten to any Eight vs The Master Big Finish stories. And since Eight NEVER had another Master, RIGHT? its not my place to talk about it. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I hope they don't change the Tardis again though, now that Capaldi has made his views public, I can only expect that it will happen soon enough. I like it when things get an added sense of importance just from being around long enough and none of the recent Tardises bar, maybe, the first modern one have got that because they get switched too quickly.

I'd like it if they kept the current one but renovated it some more towards his views. More roundels, a bit of a whiter colour scheme rather than heavy dark metal.

Most of all, I want it to go up and down again. It's just wrong that it doesn't go up and down.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wait, Julius Nicolson is the Big Finish Master? Hahaha. Menacing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Hello you...

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CobiWann posted:

Hello you...

Having finished Death of Hope, the first episode in DE 3 - MacQueen is still fantastic.

Unfortunately the memory is a little hazy due to my poor memory ok I got pretty high to listen so oh darn I'm gonna have to listen to it again during the daily commute... :awesome: (I love digging through the smilies, I should use them more often!)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

The Coral Tardis definitely is iconic now, if only because it stuck around for so loving long.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

The Coral Tardis definitely is iconic now, if only because it stuck around for so loving long.

It's THE Tardis for a lot of people.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OTOH, the Tom Baker secondary control room always used to do very well in "favourite TARDIS" discussions, even though it was only around for a year.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And Eight's gets a huge amount of love even though it was onscreen for a single film.

Probably because of how awesome it is.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

MikeJF posted:

And Eight's gets a huge amount of love even though it was onscreen for a single film.

It has BATS, how much cooler can you get??

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McGann posted:

It has BATS, how much cooler can you get??

Hey hey hey! Hey. They have names, thank you.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Jasper_and_Stewart

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I really can't stand the actual TARDIS Console from the TVM. The big pylons and raised platform are too distracting and hugely impractical to boot, the added parallel-to-the-floor platform around the edges of the hexagon is terribly misguided and makes the slope of the hex-panels too sharp. (The hexpanels should have gone out as far at the edges of the Parallel Platform, it'd have looked loads better). The time rotor is too skinny and doesn't connect nicely to the hexagon, either - it looks bolted onto the top, when if ANY two TARDIS components should appear to be naturalistically connected, it's the rotor and the controls. And the dumb table-legs on the console are, well, dumb.

The console ROOM, apart from that, is of course spectacular.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It's amazing how wrong someone can be. :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

sorry, the actual console from the TVM is rubbish, a blemish on an otherwise inspired bit of set design.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pfft. This thing is beautiful.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The table-base is dumb and the time-rotor connection is awkward as heck. The actual instrumentation and mahogany paneling is gorgeous, but all the angles and proportions are messed up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

The console's not bad either!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

but all the angles and proportions are messed up.

It warps spacetime, working as intended.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

I don't really like the big clompy mechanical things that show the date and era, they look really nice but don't make much sense when you think about them (does every planet have a "Humanian Era"?). Even then its a thing of absolute beauty, of course.

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever pictured the audios taking place in the TV Movie TARDIS. For whatever reason Eight and Charlie always hang around in the classic white console room in my mind.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Forktoss posted:

I don't really like the big clompy mechanical things that show the date and era, they look really nice but don't make much sense when you think about them (does every planet have a "Humanian Era"?).

There's a large, but finite, number of things you can fit on a panel that size. You work out the rest!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Can't decide if I want to jump straight into Dark Eyes 3 or go back and re-listen to 1 and 2 first...its been a while since I've listened to them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Forktoss posted:

I don't really like the big clompy mechanical things that show the date and era, they look really nice but don't make much sense when you think about them (does every planet have a "Humanian Era"?). Even then its a thing of absolute beauty, of course.

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever pictured the audios taking place in the TV Movie TARDIS. For whatever reason Eight and Charlie always hang around in the classic white console room in my mind.

The tardis could have a very large number of plates for that panel, one for every era of every planet, and they might to still fit, since the console could just be bigger on the inside

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

The tardis could have a very large number of plates for that panel, one for every era of every planet, and they might to still fit, since the console could just be bigger on the inside

It might only have two sides and the TARDIS could just rewrite what's on the panel to whatever's relevant. It's a magic time machine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So just when I was warming back up to Moffat, he has to go and say poo poo like this:

The Denofgeek article posted:

On whether the future companion could be a shape-shifting penguin:

Steven Moffat posted:

I’m going to go on record and say I didn’t like the shape-shifting penguin. I didn’t like it.

Bad form, Moffat. BAD FORM.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The shapeshifting penguin would be loving terrible on the television show, it's the kind of thing that only works in a comic-strip format and if used incredibly sparingly in the audio format.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I want the TARDIS interior to be the size of an aircraft hangar. Once would be enough, just to give the watching audience that genuine "waaaaaay bigger than you expected on the inside" experience that seemingly every character in the show has had.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The shapeshifting penguin would be loving terrible on the television show, it's the kind of thing that only works in a comic-strip format and if used incredibly sparingly in the audio format.

He didn't say that it wasn't a fit for TV. He's basically right about that one.

But he said he didn't like Frobisher. That's worse than (Let's Kill) Hitler!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

qntm posted:

I want the TARDIS interior to be the size of an aircraft hangar. Once would be enough, just to give the watching audience that genuine "waaaaaay bigger than you expected on the inside" experience that seemingly every character in the show has had.

A large room inside a box about the size of a cupboard is quite a surprise, yes.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz8UyHLTLbM

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A large room inside a box about the size of a cupboard is quite a surprise, yes.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
11's copper tardis interior best tardis interior

• Locked thread