Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Bouchacha posted:

Can't you take the COMPET-N demo file and just run it through a prettier Doom port so that spectators have something better to look at?
Yeah, I was experimenting with making super high FPS versions and faking motion blur in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVviOZUEso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Linguica posted:

Yeah, I was experimenting with making super high FPS versions and faking motion blur in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVviOZUEso

I like this a lot

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of vanilla compatibility quibbles, Chocolate Doom and it's variants have been updated.

The big new features are support for streamed audio for music (intended for recordings of actual DOS-era sound hardware), improved OPL MIDI playback, improved gamepad support, and workarounds/fixes that allow for using the neutered BFG Edition IWADs.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Is there any good QuakeII/III style hud for DOOM?
Basically health on left and armor next to it and only show ammo for current weapon. Fully transparent too no overlays. And not stupidly tiny on 1080p.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zeether posted:

The Doom64EX blog posted this recently: http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/big-announcement-coming-soon

Any guess on what those blurred screenshots are?

I'm gonna bet on Strife. Kaiser's partner-in-crime Quasar has hinted he was involved in something involving Strife, and the both of them had worked before on the Strife part of Chocolate Doom. The blurry shots do look like some Strife areas to me, and the HUD matches too. Last shot seems to be use of the incendiary grenade launcher.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

That can't be Strife, unless they figured out how to add lightmapping on its levels.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

That can't be Strife, unless they figured out how to add lightmapping on its levels.

The unreleased Strife 64.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nokiaman posted:

Is there any good QuakeII/III style hud for DOOM?
Basically health on left and armor next to it and only show ammo for current weapon. Fully transparent too no overlays. And not stupidly tiny on 1080p.

Literally every source port has this, hit + once. If it's small, make sure "scale full screen hud" is on

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

Literally every source port has this, hit + once. If it's small, make sure "scale full screen hud" is on

I have GZDoom and it's not good enough. Too small with any scale option and health and armor being like this
instead of his
100 100
is only confusing me due to so many games having them next to each other.
Also impossible to get rid of table that shows all weapon's ammo and replace it with current weapon's ammo.

I just want something like this and I can't find it :(
http://imgur.com/HY8cn7M

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 18, 2014

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Why do a lot of Doom fans hate Brutal Doom? Vanilla campaigns on Ultra-Violence are way too easy for a modern gamer. I don't think many people even heard of a thing called 'mouse look' and 'strafing' (I certainly didn't) back when it came out. Brutal Doom makes Doom/Doom 2 campaigns fun and exciting to replay.

I still haven't found a way to disable fatalities, though. That, and the no-reload mod is a must.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah dude, when you disable two of the bigger game changes is it any surprise you don't think Brutal Doom makes things that much harder? :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kubla Khan posted:

Why do a lot of Doom fans hate Brutal Doom?

A lot of it is the derail this question creates.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Nokiaman posted:

I have GZDoom and it's not good enough. Too small with any scale option and health and armor being like this
instead of his
100 100
is only confusing me due to so many games having them next to each other.
Also impossible to get rid of table that shows all weapon's ammo and replace it with current weapon's ammo.

I just want something like this and I can't find it :(
http://imgur.com/HY8cn7M

You should go back into HUD options and disable the Alternative HUD. The default fullscreen hud is much clearer, though it still have the armor over health.

Failing that, Here's a Doom 64 style hud, which is extremely similar to the Quake 2/3 HUD.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 18, 2014

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

Well yeah dude, when you disable two of the bigger game changes is it any surprise you don't think Brutal Doom makes things that much harder? :v:

I meant the exact opposite. Brutal Doom makes vanilla Doom campaigns hard enough to be enjoyable again.

Fatalities don't make the game harder or easier anyhow, they're just annoying. No reload makes it easier but an 'easier Brutal Doom' isn't a big deal since it's already pretty drat hard on the 4th setting (of which there are, like 8).

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Kubla Khan posted:

Why do a lot of Doom fans hate Brutal Doom?

Because it completely changes the way the game plays, and they want to play Doom, not something else. Not that difficult.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

But for some reason the hundreds of other gameplay changing mods don't seem to generate the same kind of pissy anger.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It overstayed it's welcome greatly, and at some point (I'll say 16th version) become so gimmicky it stopped being fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

laserghost posted:

It overstayed it's welcome greatly, and at some point (I'll say 16th version) become so gimmicky it stopped being fun.

How, precisely, does an optional mod overstay its welcome?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I like the increased death animations and I think the assault rifle is a welcome change vs the pistol since the chaingun just feels like an autofire pistol anyways. Also blood and gibs everywhere, and the imp jumps at you or something? Pretty cool.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

By being constantly tweaked, changed, redesigned, with features haphazardly added and removed, with every released version having additional upgrades and addons, not going close to being a finished vision ever.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

My main issue with Brutal Doom is that it gets awfully crowded with all the extra gibs and blood, and the noise enemies make when you're a pixel off and their arm flies off. Whoever thought that playing the pain sound 600 times in 3 seconds was a good idea should be shot.

I also don't think the locational damage or increased violence work well with sprites, or even just the basics of what I consider a retro FPS.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

By having too high a hype/coolness ratio.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
All this brutal doom talk made me want to try it again.

I think v19 is the latest? But it's borked on the latest stable release of gzdoom, and the latest git build. Manually reloading and iron sights don't work. Fatalities are hilariously stupid, and to make it even more hilarious, pinkies turn into imps, and chain gunners turn into regular zombiemen.

tldr: Quality

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it gets brought up every single time in a fairly concise fashion why the mod leaves a sour taste with some people but without fail someone shows up later and goes I JUST DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THIS

that about sums it up

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The same way as a joke, or a book, or game itself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

laserghost posted:

By being constantly tweaked, changed, redesigned, with features haphazardly added and removed, with every released version having additional upgrades and addons, not going close to being a finished vision ever.

That's everything on the ZDoom forums.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i think it gets brought up every single time in a fairly concise fashion why the mod leaves a sour taste with some people but without fail someone shows up later and goes I JUST DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THIS

that about sums it up

My favorite are the people that, when you give your reasons, just respond "pffftt well you don't HAVE to use it it's just OPTIONAL :smug:".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They aren't really my "thing", but are people even making plain-old ZDoom maps anymore? It really seems like it's almost all gameplay mods these days. I mean, there's stuff like Reelism which at least has standalone maps (which is really nice), but the last really hyped ZDoom mapset I can remember is, uh, ZDCMP2?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 18, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

By having people come into every vaguely Doom-related thread on message boards and say "BTW YOU SHOULD PLAY THIS WITH BRUTAL DOOM IT MAKES THE GAME SO MUCH BETTER" without fail.

It doesn't really happen in this thread that I've noticed, but it happens all the time on places like NeoGAF. It gets grating after time to keep hearing how Brutal Doom is so much better than vanilla from nobodies who didn't even fully read the thread in question to see if it hadn't been brought up and debated 4-5 times already.

straight jerkers posted:

But for some reason the hundreds of other gameplay changing mods don't seem to generate the same kind of pissy anger.
Because literally no other mod ever gets brought up. Samsara? Project MSX? DoomRPG? Demonsteele? Pshaw, man, hell naw, it's Brutal Doom or bust!

Alain Post posted:

They aren't really my "thing", but are people even making plain-old ZDoom maps anymore? It really seems like it's almost all gameplay mods these days. I mean, there's stuff like Reelism which at least has standalone maps (which is really nice), but the last really hyped ZDoom mapset I can remember is, uh, ZDCMP?
Not too often. Generally speaking, if you see new ZDoom maps, it's to help showcase the gameplay modifications, similar to Reelism or Harmony. I recall seeing a bit of lament about this on Doomworld, although I forget who was doing the lamenting (pretty sure they were talking with TerminusEst13 up there about maps vs. mods, if that narrows it down any).

Also, thinking about it, I half-wonder if it's possible to make an add-on mod for Reelism that'd let it work in any DM map. Players start at 1P-4P starts (obviously these would need to be present), enemies would spawn at DM starts, weapons would spawn where any DM weapon had been placed... not sure about item spawns, though.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 18, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

They aren't really my "thing", but are people even making plain-old ZDoom maps anymore? It really seems like it's almost all gameplay mods these days. I mean, there's stuff like Reelism which at least has standalone maps (which is really nice), but the last really hyped ZDoom mapset I can remember is, uh, ZDCMP?

The extra ZDoom mapping features aren't all that interesting on their own if you're not going to take the tools and make something with gameplay changes as compared to a standard BOOM compatible or vanilla level.

Plus if you really do use the ZDoom stuff heavily for an otherwise normal level, you don't have much of a hook to get people to play it. It won't work with ports that aren't ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum and much of the potential playerbase has a habit of sticking to whatever their favorite source port is unless you give them a real good reason to use ZDoom. So a lot of those projects end up getting down-converted into something most BOOM-compatible ports will handle.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Alain Post posted:

There's discussion on Doomworld now about starting up another ZDoom mapping project as of late, so we might get to see otherwise soon.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/70879-idea-just-gzdoom-monthly-mapping-sessions/

From what I can gather from occasionally eavesdropping in on #doomtwid and #zdoom, the basic problem is that a lot of people who want more Doom gameplay tend to be mapping for Boom or limit-removing source ports, and for people who map with ZDoom they tend to go all out and use a whole bunch of features that make it incompatible with other mods aside from itself, which hurts its overall lasting playability.

I'm a big ol' Dissolution fan, myself, so I'd like to see more ZDoom-style mapsets in that early vein.

e: basically beaten

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 18, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Did Sgt. Mark IV get banned from the zdoom forums yet for being a racist price?

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

The Doom64 hud is really good and exactly what I want. Wish I could swap ammo and armor and replace the text with the icons and it'd be perfect.
Thanks for the help :)

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

The Kins posted:

Speaking of vanilla compatibility quibbles, Chocolate Doom and it's variants have been updated.

The big new features are support for streamed audio for music (intended for recordings of actual DOS-era sound hardware), improved OPL MIDI playback, improved gamepad support, and workarounds/fixes that allow for using the neutered BFG Edition IWADs.

I don't think this counts as :filez: so I did a quick google to find Roland SC-55 Music Packs. This might put off my itch to buy a SC-55 for a while.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

Because literally no other mod ever gets brought up. Samsara? Project MSX? DoomRPG? Demonsteele? Pshaw, man, hell naw, it's Brutal Doom or bust!

The point was that nobody gets irritated when people bring those up.

Really the only problem with Brutal Doom is that its advocates often seem to implicitly assert that it is better than Doom, rather than being something different. I like to play it sometimes for a change of pace, but it sure as hell isn't better.

Alain Post posted:

They aren't really my "thing", but are people even making plain-old ZDoom maps anymore? It really seems like it's almost all gameplay mods these days. I mean, there's stuff like Reelism which at least has standalone maps (which is really nice), but the last really hyped ZDoom mapset I can remember is, uh, ZDCMP2?

Well there's still some high profile ones in development, presumably The Shores of ZDoom is going to be finished one day. Personally, I'm glad that the period where tons of ZDoom stuff came out. I'm a lot happier seeing all the good vanilla/limit removing/boom stuff.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Segmentation Fault posted:

Did Sgt. Mark IV get banned from the zdoom forums yet for being a racist price?

Uh, yeah? Easily over two years ago at this point. Pretty sure he's banned from most major Doom forums at this point.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I like Brutal Doom

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Uh, yeah? Easily over two years ago at this point. Pretty sure he's banned from most major Doom forums at this point.

Oh word? Where does he post his new versions of Brutal Doom though?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

This is clearly the only version of Brutal Doom you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwDfgal_rRo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I like Brutal Doom

i can't believe this