Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My only problem with that episode was the entire thing with maggie on the train getting her own little scoop by fooling and then impressing the jaded careless government worker with all that authenticity and integrity she's carrying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

sportsgenius86 posted:

So that was probably the best episode the show has ever done IMO
Yes it's really weird because it was confident without being intolerable and actually interesting

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Thread learns Sorkin can make compelling tv in 2014, news at 10

:smug:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

My only problem with that episode was the entire thing with maggie on the train getting her own little scoop by fooling and then impressing the jaded careless government worker with all that authenticity and integrity she's carrying around.

"WOW! Journalists CAN be good people!" — what Sorkin wants people watching that subplot to think, I guess

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think my biggest gripe was you get Toby and then Liam and the episode focuses on Toby. No one likes Toby.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My biggest gripe is that mary mccormack got old

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Was the show this reviled in the previous live threads? I started watching it just before Season 2 and liked it a lot. I mean, I don't actually disagree with any of MrA's criticisms, except maybe a few minor points where he seems confused by a thing that happens for no reason but is actually relevant to later episodes, but everyone here seems to hate it but not stop watching.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nevvy Z posted:

Was the show this reviled in the previous live threads? I started watching it just before Season 2 and liked it a lot. I mean, I don't actually disagree with any of MrA's criticisms, except maybe a few minor points where he seems confused by a thing that happens for no reason but is actually relevant to later episodes, but everyone here seems to hate it but not stop watching.

This was the Omega Hatewatch show of its time, yes.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Good to know that even this thread liked this episode as much as I did. I really hope they keep on going that string.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

In the previous threads there was a contingent of people who enjoyed it (me included) who got completely drowned out by people who hatewatched it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

blunt posted:

In the previous threads there was a contingent of people who enjoyed it (me included) who got completely drowned out by people who hatewatched it.

For reference, what this guy means is a contingent of people sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting any time someone brought up how much of a sexist weirdo sorkin was, or how disingenuous the entire concept of the show was

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
NEIL RUN

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mentioned it on the first page but basically I keep watching because I do like some of the characters on the show, and I do like some of the plot-lines on the show, and I do like the basic premise of behind-the-scenes of a newsroom trying to stay afloat and honest and relevant in the modern twenty-four-hour-bullshit-breaking-news-extravaganza. But all the things that I do like were just bogged the gently caress down by other aspects of the characters and Aaron Sorkin not realising that a news organisation, no matter how old and established, doesn't have the same gravitas as the highest government of the land.

• His seeming hatred of the internet, right there and loving centre, permeates the whole thing and had an entire character as a joke for an entire season. Not a funny joke either.
  • His characters know best and will do the best and have the connections to be always Right In The End. Particularly notable with the Bin Laden episode with V Joe Biden name-dropped as being a personal friend of Will to give him permission to run the story. Secondly and worse the Genoa storyline - which could have been a great example of how even the best and brightest could be fooled - had an actual new character brought in to gently caress up on behalf of the main cast to let them all retain their unbroken streak of not loving up.
  • Jim. Specifically Jim and Maggie. Their storyline was just so utterly drat insufferable I wish that Sex and the City tour-bus hit her. He is maybe the worst example of always being right all the time, straight from from episode one.
  • Maggie.
  • Don existed to be an antagonist for Jim.
  • General treatment of women as flighty, insincere or incompetent on multiple occasions so glaring it seemed impossible they'd earned the jobs they had.
  • General disdain of young people, although not as bad as disdain for the internet and women, and I can't recall any specific examples right now.

Season 2 fixed some problems. Mainly giving Don and Sloan more screen-time, taking Don away from the ridiculous Jim-heart-Maggie plot. Genoa was fun. Season 3 has had a good start so far and I hope it stays this good because I love Sam Waterston and Jeff Bridges, and Olivia Munn is great, and I want more backroom dealing about how the news is made and poo poo and less office romance and Heartfelt Speeches About Integrity, which so far is what we've had.

Also I want Mary McCormack to corner Dev Patel on a dam by the time the season ends and shoot at him as he jumps off. Doesn't have to be a big dam.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 18, 2014

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I actually think season 1 is head and shoulders above season 2. The highs may be lower, but Africa, Genoa, campaign trail, stupid loving Twitter translator, and REALLY loving stupid all Neal plots are so much worse. Season 1 was about dramatizing recent nostalgia, 2 was about history being rewritten by the Sorkin.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

For reference, what this guy means is a contingent of people sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting any time someone brought up how much of a sexist weirdo sorkin was, or how disingenuous the entire concept of the show was

About that ...

How can Sloan (and Leona (Jane Fonda)) be written by the same person who wrote Maggie, Mac, Lisa and all the other insipid woomen on this show?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

DominoDancing posted:

Good to know that even this thread liked this episode as much as I did. I really hope they keep on going that string.
Same here. I was kinda nervous to post here when I'd finished watching the episode. I'm more a "let it wash over me" kind of audience member than a super-analytical one (though I do enjoy discussion post-viewing), and so I enjoyed the gently caress out of this week's ep.

Will's snarky remarks and general schemey-ness is always entertaining, but the menu ploy was good man. Run, Neil, loving run.

Pierson posted:

Yeah, that annoyed me too. Can't see anywhere good this weird change of luck could be headed. I know everyone was hyped that she didn't gently caress up that broadcast, and not particularly because she was ah-mazing as inferred by how they ACTUALLY acted in response. And now she takes back a potentially scumbag move, and she's back on the rise? I mean, is this rly how Maggie gets her poo poo back together? Or is this just supposed to show her gaining her confidence back? Iunno.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

So how come one minute people are worried that because Neil told the source how to steal the data he is guilty of espionage but five minutes later they're all "nah worst thing that could happen is that you get ten days for not revealing your source"

The facts that put his wrongdoing above and beyond simply concealing the source (i.e. The fact that he asked the guy to steal more data and taught him how to do it) were never ever displaced. The threat of espionage charges should've been constant throughout the episode, it made no sense when people started ignoring it.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

So how come one minute people are worried that because Neil told the source how to steal the data he is guilty of espionage but five minutes later they're all "nah worst thing that could happen is that you get ten days for not revealing your source"

The facts that put his wrongdoing above and beyond simply concealing the source (i.e. The fact that he asked the guy to steal more data and taught him how to do it) were never ever displaced. The threat of espionage charges should've been constant throughout the episode, it made no sense when people started ignoring it.

I think the logic goes: how are the authorities supposed to find out about Neil "nudging" the hacker? Neil won't tell them, and if he keeps his mouth shut they won't find the source so he won't tell them either.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

brylcreem posted:

About that ...

How can Sloan (and Leona (Jane Fonda)) be written by the same person who wrote Maggie, Mac, Lisa and all the other insipid woomen on this show?

Probably because Sorkin was writing those other characters as "wacky, all-too-human" characters without realizing that he can't write women as well as men so they come off as horrible sexist stereotypes instead. I think he wised up somewhere along the line.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Those On My Left posted:

I think she just said that cause she talked to the FBI agent. None of the lawyers ever said it was suddenly no big deal.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Pierson posted:

I mentioned it on the first page but basically I keep watching because I do like some of the characters on the show, and I do like some of the plot-lines on the show, and I do like the basic premise of behind-the-scenes of a newsroom trying to stay afloat and honest and relevant in the modern twenty-four-hour-bullshit-breaking-news-extravaganza. But all the things that I do like were just bogged the gently caress down by other aspects of the characters and Aaron Sorkin not realising that a news organisation, no matter how old and established, doesn't have the same gravitas as the highest government of the land.

• His seeming hatred of the internet, right there and loving centre, permeates the whole thing and had an entire character as a joke for an entire season. Not a funny joke either.
  • His characters know best and will do the best and have the connections to be always Right In The End. Particularly notable with the Bin Laden episode with V Joe Biden name-dropped as being a personal friend of Will to give him permission to run the story. Secondly and worse the Genoa storyline - which could have been a great example of how even the best and brightest could be fooled - had an actual new character brought in to gently caress up on behalf of the main cast to let them all retain their unbroken streak of not loving up.
  • Jim. Specifically Jim and Maggie. Their storyline was just so utterly drat insufferable I wish that Sex and the City tour-bus hit her. He is maybe the worst example of always being right all the time, straight from from episode one.
  • Maggie.
  • Don existed to be an antagonist for Jim.
  • General treatment of women as flighty, insincere or incompetent on multiple occasions so glaring it seemed impossible they'd earned the jobs they had.
  • General disdain of young people, although not as bad as disdain for the internet and women, and I can't recall any specific examples right now.

Season 2 fixed some problems. Mainly giving Don and Sloan more screen-time, taking Don away from the ridiculous Jim-heart-Maggie plot. Genoa was fun. Season 3 has had a good start so far and I hope it stays this good because I love Sam Waterston and Jeff Bridges, and Olivia Munn is great, and I want more backroom dealing about how the news is made and poo poo and less office romance and Heartfelt Speeches About Integrity, which so far is what we've had.

Also I want Mary McCormack to corner Dev Patel on a dam by the time the season ends and shoot at him as he jumps off. Doesn't have to be a big dam.

Aaron Sorkin has hated the internet since he got trolled on some forum like 15 years ago. This is right along with him recycling the "kidnapped relative held for ransom" plots and Sorkin inserting himself into every show as a brilliant writer. Initially The West Wing was supposed to be focused on Sam Seaborne until Martin Sheen stole all the glory. Seaborne, Matt Alby, and Will McAvoy are all Sorkin standins. The West Wing, Studio 60 and now News Night are all clones just with different makeup on. This isn't to say WW wasn't good, it was, but nothing he's done since has been able to re-capture that despite his best efforts.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 18, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Martin Sheen owned that show tho, I'm so glad that happened

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Barbe Rouge posted:

I think the logic goes: how are the authorities supposed to find out about Neil "nudging" the hacker? Neil won't tell them, and if he keeps his mouth shut they won't find the source so he won't tell them either.

Then why were they ever worried?

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think she just said that cause she talked to the FBI agent. None of the lawyers ever said it was suddenly no big deal.

You mean, the people who were paid to render legal advice and look after Neal's legal interests decided not to contradict the obviously incorrect legal assertions of the non-lawyers, even though the difference between those assertions being true and them being false was whether Neal winds up in jail for 10 days or 10 years? Right.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The thing about Neil being in deep poo poo is even dumber since there was a scene in season 2 where Sloane and Don were discussing the fact that no journalist or writer had been tried under the espionage act, only threatened with it. Suddenly now its a huge deal because the plot requires it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The thing about Neil being in deep poo poo is even dumber since there was a scene in season 2 where Sloane and Don were discussing the fact that no journalist or writer had been tried under the espionage act, only threatened with it. Suddenly now its a huge deal because the plot requires it.

:confused:

And this would have been the case here, as evidenced by Mac's conversation with McFBI at the gunrange. The issue in this case is that Neal actively taught the guy how to get the files and asked him to get them.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Shakugan posted:

:confused:

And this would have been the case here, as evidenced by Mac's conversation with McFBI at the gunrange. The issue in this case is that Neal actively taught the guy how to get the files and asked him to get them.

I think the other issue is that when Mac was talking with the FBI agent hypothetically, there was a misunderstanding about HOW serious and confidential the documents were.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

Max posted:

I think the other issue is that when Mac was talking with the FBI agent hypothetically, there was a misunderstanding about HOW serious and confidential the documents were.

I agree, there have been a lot of instances of the FBI or other american intellegence agencies silencing perceived threats in a whole lot of ways, many not even close to legal and quite definitive. Or at leaast thats how I perceive the american secret services throughout history, shady.....just really shady. So if thats the case then the FBI agent knows fully that certain things provoke certain extreme reactions, rather than 10 days in jail.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

FWIW none of these posts explain why all of a sudden everyone forgot about the fact that he actively participated in the espionage and stands to be prosecuted for that.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Max posted:

For sure. I forget, did any of the ACN guys have any idea what they had was so important?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fetus Tree posted:

For sure. I forget, did any of the ACN guys have any idea what they had was so important?

None of them had seen them. Deliberately.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Those On My Left posted:

FWIW none of these posts explain why all of a sudden everyone forgot about the fact that he actively participated in the espionage and stands to be prosecuted for that.

I think the only person who actively forgot was Mac. You can handwave it away by saying she confused herself during the hypothetical talk with her FBI friend but still, Will and the lawyer were all about "you're going to pound me in the rear end prison."

I think it was Sepinwall who had a good point about Sorkin in that, when he's at his best, Sorkin's characters are going up against a nearly immovable system like in West Wing/The American President (government), The Social Network (trying to get an internet startup off the ground), and A Few Good Men (the military). This benefits his character types (plucky, noble, good natured) because they can shine in an environment meant to push them back down.

The Newsroom and Studio 60 don't have a system to fight against. I do think some of the good moments in the show are about the behind the scenes newsmaking/the business of keeping good news afloat. But its not enough to carry an entire episode on. So you get Sorkin doing relationships which didn't work well in The West Wing either (Josh and Mandy anyone?).

The one saving grace here is that he may have found a nice system to bounce his Newsroom characters against and it's the government (again). Depending on if they continue the Neal/leak plot through the final four episodes. But then it becomes ACN vs the US Government/FBI over 1st amendment protections. So like The West Wing except from the side of the reporters.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This show should have been about the EPA guy.

e: I mean, like, the whole series.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

nooneofconsequence posted:

That series ended a couple years ago.

Hoping everyone goes down by the end of the series. Sorkins final gently caress you is killing off/jailing the whole cast. That was terrible.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

100% agree with this. Toby graduated from HR to EPA where he still is despondent about everything.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I cannot loving BELIEVE Sorkin is re-using the "tech billionaire buys cable company" plotline again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I can't believe The Newsroom and The Office are having a crossover season. Just waiting for Mindy Kaling to waltz in and awful all over everything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I can't believe The Newsroom and The Office are having a crossover season. Just waiting for Mindy Kaling to waltz in and awful all over everything.

If this show crossed over with The Mindy Project it could only improve.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Especially since Toby and Ryan are both playing exactly the same character, just in a slightly different setting.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

mr. unhsib posted:

I cannot loving BELIEVE Sorkin is re-using the "tech billionaire buys cable company" plotline again.

This is something that shouldn't surprise us anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I hate you Jim. Like, a lot.

• Locked thread