Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I love mechjeb, after manually docking for the 100th time, flying 1000 rendezvous, and launching 1000 ships I don't really feel the need to do every little thing myself any more. My favourite thing to do in KSP is plan out and execute big multi-step missions, mechjeb lets me do things that I really wouldn't have time for otherwise.

For example, I just sent a big base in pieces to Eve carried by two ships. The two halves were launched separate from the ships that carried them due to size/part count. During four launches, two rendezvous, and two transits to eve I washed the dishes, vacuumed the house, took the dog for a walk, changed the oil/spark plugs on my snowblower, and made dinner.

I may be videogaming wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably just hard code in a flag multiplayer now that says something like mods\navigational mods \allow = yes

Oh god I've spent too much time in the windows registry today

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The thing with KSP is that I am not that well yet with directions in space, and I have a few general troubles doing a consitent orbital burn, and I just like to use Smart rear end to keep stuff on the node and such.

Basically what I am saying is that I am casual as gently caress and I just want to enjoy building spacestations. Thanks Mechjeb.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

While I was poking around the KSP forums looking for mods, I found something cool for those of you with Logitech keyboards/pads that have LCD displays. It shows orbital graphs and information and even works on my monochrome G13 screen without any fiddling on the latest release.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50858-0-21-GHud-Adds-displays-to-built-in-screen-on-Logitech-G19-G510-keyboards-%28v1-2%29

Maybe not the most useful thing, but still better than just sitting there showing the time.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Why is my game gemerating metric poo poo-tons of asteroids when I go into the Tracking Station for the first time?

And more importantly, how do I make it stop?

Edit: Its made about 3000 new ones in the time it took me to type this post.

Space is no longer empty, its slowing down now, but I assume thats because the game is now running like poo poo, and not because its nearing completion.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 19, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The kerpocalypse is coming and you are powerless to stop it. Sit back and enjoy the hundreds of asteroids being hurled at Kerbin.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Jeb's been throwing gravel into the KSC telescope?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

I think I'll turn that Custom Asteroids mod off for now. At this rate I'll be able to walk to the Mun. I'm not even sure how it ended up in my GameData directory, I didnt intentionally download it. I wonder if its something that comes bundled with another mod?

Now...more problems: Quit out, deleted that mod. Load back in, opened the tracking station to see if it was all good or not, and was happy to not get showered with a torrent of rocks. Unfortunately now the back button to quit out of the tracking station doesn't work, theres no way to get back to the space center view.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 19, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
KSP saw your avatar, clearly.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tindahbawx posted:

Why is my game gemerating metric poo poo-tons of asteroids when I go into the Tracking Station for the first time?

Space is no longer empty, its slowing down now, but I assume thats because the game is now running like poo poo, and not because its nearing completion.

You've managed to piss off god.

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*

Tindahbawx posted:

I think I'll turn that Custom Asteroids mod off for now... I'm not even sure how it ended up in my GameData directory, I didnt intentionally download it. I wonder if its something that comes bundled with another mod?

I know Custom Asteroids is bundled in the Better Atmospheres pack so possibly it got in that way.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Clearly, someone's pissed off the DM.

"Rocks fall, everyone dies."

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm kind of morbidly curious how often an asteroid would happen to enter Kerbin's SOI when they're that densely packed. And how many of them get captured by the Mun.

Atomic Balm
Nov 13, 2011

...Westwood

Inside Outside posted:

Last night I got a bug in the SPH where my center of lift indicator was stuck to the ground and wouldn't move no matter what. Google is only giving me one result that seems to be relevant and it's a post from a message board where everyone is telling the guy that he probably clicked the wrong button. I'm guessing it's some sort of mod interaction; I'm not able to double check right now but off the top of my head the big ones I'm using are FAR, B9, Interstellar, KW, Mechjeb, Kerbal Engineer, and a life support mod I can't remember the name of. Any idea what this is and how it can be fixed?

I know this is from months ago, but I've recently encountered the same bug and your post was the only thing I could find in google that mentions this problem. Do you or anyone else know what the cause is or how to fix it?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Devnotes!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Max mentioned that Asteroids were also to have biomes at one point but time ran out on that one. Is that slated to come around again?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tindahbawx posted:

The time I had Custom Asteroids installed it made a ridiculously thick sphere around Kerbin. I'm willing to bet there were at least 5000 asteroids in there, at the very least, because going into the map view gave me like 2FPS.

(it was pretty as gently caress because of distant object enhancement though. lots of shiny points in the sky :3:)

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Attention gentlegoons.

There is a preview of my warp drive up on my dropbox (you can find a link in my sig on the KSP forums). There are still some bees (chasing down a NRE error at the moment), but it's enough for you to play with and test it.

Go nuts, tell me what you think.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

RoverDude posted:

Attention gentlegoons.

There is a preview of my warp drive up on my dropbox (you can find a link in my sig on the KSP forums). There are still some bees (chasing down a NRE error at the moment), but it's enough for you to play with and test it.

Go nuts, tell me what you think.

Hanging on startup for me. Is it dependent on any of your other mods?

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Just the included Regolith DLL...

Oh! It may need a resource too hold on lemme fix it...

(Edit - new less beeful version is up)

RoverDude fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 19, 2014

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tindahbawx posted:

You have a bad case of space rocks there. If you otherwise can't fix it, I wrote a mod a while back that switches all asteroid stuff off that might help clean it up if you get desperate.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Atomic Balm posted:

I know this is from months ago, but I've recently encountered the same bug and your post was the only thing I could find in google that mentions this problem. Do you or anyone else know what the cause is or how to fix it?

Ha, I just poked into this thread for the first time in months. Anyway, I figured out that I had more than one copy of of Module Manager (is that what it's called?). Check your Gamedata folder and make sure you only have the most recent one.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

RoverDude posted:

Just the included Regolith DLL...

Oh! It may need a resource too hold on lemme fix it...

(Edit - new less beeful version is up)

Going to point out that the warp drive doesn't mention it uses a shitload of electricity to charge up. Sorry!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Tindahbawx posted:

My mod soup install was running like crap, and near hitting the memory size limit just sitting at the KSP main menu. I'd tried the OpenGL switch, but it caused awful FPS drops for me.

So I thought I'd try forcing Dx11 instead...
[snip]
Ok then :stare: Dx11 it is!

Edit So far the only problem seems to be a little z-flickering on some of the space centre textures.

Gave this a try and got a nearly 25% reduction in memory use :stare:

Anyone with more knowledge about this sort of thing able to explain why it causes such a noticeable change?

Time to install more mods

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Dred_furst posted:

Going to point out that the warp drive doesn't mention it uses a shitload of electricity to charge up. Sorry!

No worries, it's worse now too... I'll edit description.

Oh... check out updated warp bubble/effect :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLzb_lq5_dw

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Neat. What sound effect are you using for the drive? Cause you should use a rising shepard tone. :v:

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Neat. What sound effect are you using for the drive? Cause you should use a rising shepard tone. :v:

Just a stock jet engine ;)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jet engines don't sound hair raising enough for a Kerbal Warp Drive. Plus if you use a shepard tone, I guarantee some people will leave that drive engaged for quite some time seeing just how high that tone goes. :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It'd be cool with the Mod Starbridge jump noise from EV Nova.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Me, I'd say just stealget inspiration from Elite: Dangerous jump drives.

(start at 32 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cLtjyrawTQ

It's very :stare:->:stonk:->:haw: with the volume up.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I always liked the fairly low-key Freespace jump drives.

And, of course, the beam lasers from Freespace 2. But that's harder to fit into KSP... maybe a laser drill for Karbonite!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Maybe as the colors shift, you could make the highest speed setting turn to plaid.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Thirding the Shephard tone suggestion. They're pretty cool and also maddening to listen to :v: Even better is one that sounds like it's eternally ascending and descending at the same time.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
I take pull requests :P

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You should hit up Christopher Nolan on twitter and have his people send you the audio from the wormhole scene in Interstellar, he seems like a cool guy

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
What it really needs is a pipe organ.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
So warp drive is 99% done.

The last bit is that if you are foolish enough to have your bubble collapse due to a lack of fuel, increasingly horrible things will happen.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Are there any resources on deciphering the output log? I'd like to track down a null reference exception that's making the game unplayable. Its been stable for about a month and now started to die.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm very disappointed in everyone that the suggestion of a screaming choir isn't the sound for the warp drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CglvOos2bA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
With Jeb sending a strange signal from low Jool orbit, "Etarébil"

• Locked thread