Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Also, why are we talking about TLS instead of the fact that systemd won in Debian again.

http://lwn.net/Articles/621713/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Suspicious Dish posted:

How does an automated CA prevent against me signing up for a cert for citibank.com

very carefully!!!!!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

bobbilljim posted:

very carefully!!!!!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I'm still harping on cleartext < self-signed < signed.

And this ordering is fundamentally wrong because the only use of self-signed in the wild is for MITM attacks.

From the end-user perspective, self-signed is at best equivalent to cleartext and in reality a strong indicator that they are a victim of an attack in progress.

You'd have to introduce some kind of "we know this is a self-signed cert, gently caress the NSA, amirite?" flag to the certificate's metadata to get the browser UI to merely pretend it is cleartext, and even then that's probably prone to abuse.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sassafras posted:

2015 might bring some changes here, either from Cloudflare,

cloudflare is def not the answer since you literally cant tell if the source connection is encrypted or not

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pseudorandom name posted:

And this ordering is fundamentally wrong because the only use of self-signed in the wild is for MITM attacks.

From the end-user perspective, self-signed is at best equivalent to cleartext and in reality a strong indicator that they are a victim of an attack in progress.

You'd have to introduce some kind of "we know this is a self-signed cert, gently caress the NSA, amirite?" flag to the certificate's metadata to get the browser UI to merely pretend it is cleartext, and even then that's probably prone to abuse.

mega agreedo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

the only use of self-signed in the wild is for MITM attacks.

and, apparently, slightly inconveniencing the NSA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, why are we talking about TLS instead of the fact that systemd won in Debian again.

systemd reminds me of uac in the sense that it's trying to make people do the right thing in software design and folks unwilling to change haaaate it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

same

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
well, a good use of self signed in the wild is intranet/corp poo poo where they run a CA and push the root to alt heir machines like i said earlier. but that's about it.

but i digress heavily

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Gazpacho posted:

are the beards actually agitating for a "forced breakup" of systemd? like, they're literally trying to apply antitrust discourse to a free project? lmao

bruce perens unironically advocated this, yes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what makes debian think theyre relevant enough to force the systemd devs to do anything lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

well, a good use of self signed in the wild is intranet/corp poo poo where they run a CA and push the root to alt heir machines like i said earlier. but that's about it.

but i digress heavily

this isn't the wild, fuckwit

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh cool

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

this isn't the wild, fuckwit

that isn't even self-signed, its just an additional private addition to the trusted CA list

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
So the entire argument against is literally "we would never be able to train the users!". It's handwaving away a technical solution because the UX is too hard. "Gosh, I just don't know how we'd make the UI, so lets just use cleartext" is actually what I'd expect from a group of OSX users and lazy programmers (IE yospos).

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

[*]if you can't adapt to new workflows, you are not a power user, you are inflexible and broken and no screaming of :siren: "but my workflow" :siren: will change that

yeah, i am inflexible

and i am the actual target for the linux desktop. someone who uses linux desktop software every single day and occasionally contributes bug reports and patches

i am not the proverbial "aunt tillie" or a teenage dabbler who installs it long enough to take screenshots. i am an actual living, breathing user and i want my poo poo to not be broken

[*]the preferences dialogs aren't gone, they're finally all in one consistent place (as long as the app is gtk3-friendly)

ok how do i turn on focus follows mouse in gnome 3?

[*]task lists have always sucked, there's never been a good implementation and even the major desktops who pioneered them have since replaced them with docks (long before gnome did, to be honest)

lol you couldn't teach it to wash itsefl, so you just chucked out the baby with the bathwater

[*]please name one thing that the design of nautilus literally prevents you from doing (that isn't "open a tab" or some other workflow-related non-blocking non-task)

i was going to bitch but i just opened nautilus 3.14 and it is less broken now. not having a treeview still sucks but at least it is not fundamentally unusable

a low bar to clear: it's not completely, totally useless

• opens up looking like a reduced notepad.exe
  • there's no File|Edit|View menus with 10 things each to click on/scare grandmas
  • all the extra functionality is exposed in the prefs window

you made it non-discoverable AND hid all the features AND you're proud of it

great work, guys

you can shut the project down, now. there's nothing left to be removed or hidden from users. not even the text editor is usable

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

So the entire argument against is literally "we would never be able to train the users!". It's handwaving away a technical solution because the UX is too hard. "Gosh, I just don't know how we'd make the UI, so lets just use cleartext" is actually what I'd expect from a group of OSX users and lazy programmers (IE yospos).

self signed certs are not secure

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pram posted:

what makes debian think theyre relevant enough to force the systemd devs to do anything lol

debian doesn't think so because debian is already doing the changeover

idiots at the knobs who got there over years of work want to blow it all on this hill to die on because reasons

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

systemd reminds me of uac in the sense that it's trying to make people do the right thing in software design and folks unwilling to change haaaate it

change is intrinsically bad

you need an extraordinarily good reason to force change on users

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

but i digress heavily

that's not a self-signed cert

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pram posted:

self signed certs are not secure

Okay, so if I post a message encrypted with my self-signed cert you can decrypt it? Nothing is secure, there are just varying costs of breaking in. This is true for all security systems everywhere forever.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Okay, so if I post a message encrypted with my self-signed cert you can decrypt it?

the person who made the cert can

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pram posted:

the person who made the cert can

Can you?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's not a self-signed cert

okay okay. i just can't figure a good purpose of any self signed cert other than internal poo poo. if you want to really trust that the person who claims to be something isnt something else, you're not looking at necessarily just the tech details but who vouched for them. it's kinda like real life.

"yeah im 21 sell me this beer"

"lemme see your id" *sees id* "you made this, im taking this and calling the police!"

"wait yes i made it but it proves im 21"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

if you were posting on my self signed secure website yes

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Okay, so if I post a message encrypted with my self-signed cert you can decrypt it? Nothing is secure, there are just varying costs of breaking in. This is true for all security systems everywhere forever.

You're not posting a message encrypted with your self-signed cert idiot, you're encrypting it with my self-signed cert. Or possibly somebody else's self-signed cert, you have no way of knowing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

How does an automated CA prevent against me signing up for a cert for citibank.com

can your web server serve content to the public at http://citibank.com/arbitrary/cool/url ?

https://letsencrypt.org/howitworks/technology/

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Salt Fish posted:

self signed certs are worthless

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no theyre good because some youtube guy said they stymie the NSA

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

okay okay. i just can't figure a good purpose of any self signed cert other than internal poo poo. if you want to really trust that the person who claims to be something isnt something else, you're not looking at necessarily just the tech details but who vouched for them. it's kinda like real life.

"yeah im 21 sell me this beer"

"lemme see your id" *sees id* "you made this, im taking this and calling the police!"

"wait yes i made it but it proves im 21"

a self-signed cert is a certificate that is signed by the certificate's own key. every self-signed cert, anywhere, ever, is suspicious. there is no good reason, ever, for a cert to be self-signed.

internal certificates are signed by a CA key, it's just not not necessarily a CA the client recognizes. this is how your internal resources might be secured.

in reality it's so unpleasant to deploy internal CAs to clients, most people just suck it up and pay for public certs for use on internal-only services

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a self-signed cert is a certificate that is signed by the certificate's own key. every self-signed cert, anywhere, ever, is suspicious. there is no good reason, ever, for a cert to be self-signed.

internal certificates are signed by a CA key, it's just not not necessarily a CA the client recognizes. this is how your internal resources might be secured.

in reality it's so unpleasant to deploy internal CAs to clients, most people just suck it up and pay for public certs for use on internal-only services

this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

slashdotters and their ilk like to point out that self-signed certs would be useful in combination with cert pinning

but that just moves the problem to dns. what the gently caress clients support secure dnssec reliably? who the gently caress publishes secure dns records?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pram posted:

"Some youtube guy" okay, you're really showing off your credentials with that one.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
god u are profoundly stupid lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
dns hijacking has been a tangential part of my life for a while now

that poo poo sucks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cloudflare needs a way to show that sites are strict ssl. like a header or something

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

With a targeted MITM, yes, I can. Also lol at relying on the authenticity of DNS records. That's going to work real well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"Hm, let's open up an automated system that tries to verify authenticity by poking at insecure, attacker-controlled resources, and certify that. Surely we won't be targeted."