Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Actually episode six went a long way to endear me to the Special Crimes Unit by making them more useful, especially since Dork Girl is officially part of Team Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
By this point in Fourze (which this show keeps reminding me of, as you may have noticed), we were on our way into the secondary characters' arcs already. I'm not expecting Gaim-level plot advancement here, but a decent start would be nice before the inevitably slow middle bits.

And now that I think about it, OOO was killing Greeed off by seven or eight. I think the next couple episodes will really define how I feel about the start as a whole.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fourze spent like, 10 episodes introducing each of the KRC members one by one in a really formulaic fashion and most of those character arcs didn't really go anywhere in particular once they joined the club. It was still enjoyable to watch because Fourze has a cast of characters that are fun but don't take alot of time to 'get' but it was still a ridiculously slow start for a show.

Like, I don't really get what Drive is missing for a modern toku show still in its intro period.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I feel like Sentai is faster in establishing its characters and quirks way faster than Rider shows, but maybe it's because they don't have to explain their powers as much? I dunno.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The resolution of the corrupt police chief was too contrived for me with the "Oh it turns out I was a spy" and "We found these conveniently incriminating documents". The music for the scene didn't help either, it just made it feel more forced. They could have gotten an interesting side plot with the chief being a "for the greater good" character, using the explosives as part of a Roidmude countermeasure plan but I guess that wouldn't jive well with Kamen Rider being primarily aimed at kids and the main message of the episode.

The problem I have with the Drive's side characters is that they don't seem to have... anything outside of their work? I liked W and Fourze's side cast because they made the setting more alive, they all do things aside from being sidekicks to the main rider. W had Santa's various peddling attempts, Fourze had JK being the socializer. On the other hand I'm not sure what the Special Crimes Unit does in their free time. The guy in charge can't possibly be reading his horoscopes 24/7! Maybe they're planning on showing that later?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll start with W first. I have a question though: I heard from someone that Den-O is also a great place to start, but the subs suck. What are your thoughts?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll start with W first. I have a question though: I heard from someone that Den-O is also a great place to start, but the subs suck. What are your thoughts?

Ha ha, no. Don't start with Den-O.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

OK I think I can say this without getting jumped on too much-

Den-O is *NOT* a normal Kamen Rider series. Like, as far as Rider shows go, it's pretty unique in how it goes about things.

Also it's the most anime Rider series ever.

(And meant to be a comedy)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
It's pretty awful and whoever recommended it to you is NOT your friend.

Strong Style Liger
Mar 10, 2013
I started with Den-O and thought it was a fine introduction to Kamen Rider, if not Tokusatsu in general. It's pretty light early on, but the premise is a good hook. I liked the designs and they keep the upgrades coming at a good pace if that's your thing.

The biggest hang up for me was the two episode structure, but a lot of the recent series have gone that route.

That said, I feel like everybody's gateway is different. Other than knowing about the first American attempt by Saban, I discovered Den-O because I picked up a figure of Momotaros while in Korea in 2009. I liked that design
and a few years later I'm all in on Kamen Rider.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The first Kamen Rider THING I ever saw was Fiaz, way back in like 2005 or so when I had loving Dial Up. Took several weeks to download the first episode and I thought it was neat but too much effort to get the rest. My introduction to Toku in general started way back in the 90s with Power Rangers and UltraSeven.

Then around 2008/09, still with Dial Up, I found some moderately shady website that had tokustatsu DVDs, some with subs!

So I looked at what was there and decided to nab a Heisei UltraSeven DVD and Kamen Rider ZO. When that proved fruitful, I got Ultraman Mebius, Kamen Rider Black, and Space Sheriff Sharivan! Then I grabbed UltraSeven Evolution from the site.

Sharivan I picked up mostly because I really liked the idea of the Space Sheriffs, and the few youtube videoes I found looked awesome, I liked Sharivan's suit the most as far as the in show ones go (Gavan has the best suit when it gets to be chrome and not that weird foam thing they had on the show proper) and his show came with the first episode of Gavan and Shaider, so I figured I could get a good sampling.

Most of the time these subs were fine, if not HK as gently caress. Mebius was weird as hell because the first 18 episodes or so were REALLY good quality and then it just imploded. The quality otherwise was fine for all of them except...

Sharivan will forever be my saddest purchase. Sharivan was made from some lovely VHS rip as far as I could tell, dog poo poo quality, with staticy lines over the top and bottom that rendered the subs worthless, and some episodes would just randomly fast forward- not the content on the DVD, but the actual FOOTAGE.

It was pretty well unwatchable. Still picked up the UltraSeven Evolution DVDs though because gently caress yeah, UltraSeven

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ha ha, no. Don't start with Den-O.

Why not? I did.

Burkion posted:

Also it's the most anime Rider series ever.

We're talking about Den-O, not Kamen Rider "Every single actual non-bullshit tie-in episode was written by noted anime writer Gen Urobuchi" Gaim.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

Why not? I did.

We're talking about Den-O, not Kamen Rider "Every single actual non-bullshit tie-in episode was written by noted anime writer Gen Urobuchi" Gaim.

Den-O may still be the most anime.

The Imagine, man. The Imagine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

Den-O may still be the most anime.

The Imagine, man. The Imagine.

Yeah, the best cast. Don't know what your point is when this is the same franchise with Kamen Rider "MISUNDERSTANDING RIVERS AND LOVE TRIANGLE" Faiz.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah, the best cast. Don't know what your point is when this is the same franchise with Kamen Rider "MISUNDERSTANDING RIVERS AND LOVE TRIANGLE" Faiz.

I'm not saying it's bad or anything man. I'm just saying it's anime as gently caress.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Faiz and Den-O were both really great. Yeah, they had some issues, but you can say that about even the best Kamen Rider. Which is W.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I agree.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Den-O is the series that introduced me to Kamen Rider and still the only one I haven't abandoned midway, except Decade but only because that series was short anyways.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75TgaUtxBU

Not bad. Kyoru's simple mecha makes the lower quality less noticeable.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
I've been watching faiz recently. I like it for the most part, except masato is just a giant dog poo poo of a human being. I want to reach into a universe where he's real and punch him in the dick.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Faiz isn't bad...until the last few episodes.

Though it was kind of ridiculous how Keitaro and Yuka didn't find out they were each other's internet boy/girlfriend until near the end of the series, especially given how it was blatantly obvious a few times.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a better stretch of Sentai than Gokaiger, Go-Busters, and Kyoryuger?

Gokaiger is a love letter to everything that has come before it, a tribute to 35 years of toys and spandex, but also genuine love for captivating the hearts and spirits of children. Go-Busters is a reinvention of the classic staples of a decades-old franchise while keeping the things that work, a celebration of the old and the new. Kyoryuger is pure energetic fun, even it's weakest episodes are radiant with moments of pure infectious joy.

Shinkenger is my favorite Sentai, but goddamn if those three series back-to-back-to-back aren't loving perfect compliments for each other.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If it wasn't for the really-divisive Goseiger in there, we would have had a perfect 5-year stretch of Sentai

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Goseiger was so bad that none of the storyline was used in Megaforce, and it still brought it down as a whole.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Goseiger was so bad that none of the storyline was used in Megaforce, and it still brought it down as a whole.

A huge problem is that, with older shows like MMPR or Zeo or In Space or Time Force, if you par it down to JUST the plot important episodes that a 20 episode run would force you to do, you'd get a very tightly written and considered series.

With Megaforce, you got loving toys out of their rear end. Just nothing but new toys every goddamn episode.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Gokaiger is a love letter to everything that has come before it, a tribute to 35 years of toys and spandex, but also genuine love for captivating the hearts and spirits of children. Go-Busters is a reinvention of the classic staples of a decades-old franchise while keeping the things that work, a celebration of the old and the new. Kyoryuger is pure energetic fun, even it's weakest episodes are radiant with moments of pure infectious joy.

Shinkenger is my favorite Sentai, but goddamn if those three series back-to-back-to-back aren't loving perfect compliments for each other.

Kyolug is the show that ended with the heroes singing the SONG OF THE EARTH to help defeat the bad guy and the SONG OF THE EARTH is the theme song. Just some folks singing the theme song as in-universe backing music. The dopest.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The commercial American release of Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger is now up for preorder on Amazon with a release date of February 15th 2015

Power Rangers: Super Sentai Zyuranger: The Complete Series https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P9UVC0I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_C-KBub0CAA2CW

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It s been up awhile now.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I kind of want that, but I don't think I have the attention span for it. Alas.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Once we have an "official" subbed version, Podcasters with Attitude is gonna do Zyuranger. (This is the first Wade and Burk have heard of this, but I'll do it alone if I must)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jivjov posted:

Once we have an "official" subbed version, Podcasters with Attitude is gonna do Zyuranger. (This is the first Wade and Burk have heard of this, but I'll do it alone if I must)

Every episode of the podcast opens with "Go Go Power Rangers." :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'd be willing to help out even though my set up is probably poo poo and I've never done anything like this before nor listened to the podcast :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cernunnos posted:

Every episode of the podcast opens with "Go Go Power Rangers." :v:

I'm gonna speak for Wade again and say "Yep, we'll do that"

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Jet-Zyu-Dai could qualify, depending on your tolerance for little kid plots (Zyu) and generic characters (Dai).
I haven't watched any Timeranger but its possible that Car-Mega-Time would be there too. Or did GoGoV come after Megaranger?
Finally, a lot of purists would also list some of the 80s series up there too, but I haven't seen any of them so ehhh.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Cliff Racer posted:

Jet-Zyu-Dai could qualify, depending on your tolerance for little kid plots (Zyu)

Goddamned kids ruined Zyu for me. Otherwise, Jet-Kaku is a drat good stretch.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cliff Racer posted:

Jet-Zyu-Dai could qualify, depending on your tolerance for little kid plots (Zyu) and generic characters (Dai).
I haven't watched any Timeranger but its possible that Car-Mega-Time would be there too. Or did GoGoV come after Megaranger?
Finally, a lot of purists would also list some of the 80s series up there too, but I haven't seen any of them so ehhh.

Car-Mega-Ginga-GoGoV-Time, I'm pretty sure.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Some Numbers posted:

Car-Mega-Ginga-GoGoV-Time, I'm pretty sure.

People. Please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61ZKoKJTrs

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

There will be a day I understand the bear licking its lips in that video. On that day my life will have lost all meaning.

Edit: Also this video helps me remember what Sentai is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgrIwsYRYA

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 21, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scratchman Apoo posted:

There will be a day I understand the bear licking its lips in that video. On that day my life will have lost all meaning.

Edit: Also this video helps me remember what Sentai is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgrIwsYRYA

That video had me laughing hard, so I thank you for linking to it.

The Jetman image especially shows why Ako's the best. And I don't think I'll be able to play Olimar in SSB quite the same ever again after the Gekiranger one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guess what Showa Rider is reprising his role next year.

• Locked thread