Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The amount of rage that went into these things is about to light my screen on fire. Time to call it a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Tallarns are closer to T.E. Lawrence's Arab allies. The Desert Rats were just British troops so hardcore they wore shorts into battle.

And going back to that sail, to further undermine the claim that it's somehow a Nazi tribute band, the predominantly red sail is an alternate colour scheme used on the Heavy hulls. The Dark Eldar transports with the same hull and sail use white with a red oval. Because red/white/black make excellent contrasts to the dark blue-green of DE vehicles.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Tallarns are closer to T.E. Lawrence's Arab allies. The Desert Rats were just British troops so hardcore they wore shorts into battle.

And going back to that sail, to further undermine the claim that it's somehow a Nazi tribute band, the predominantly red sail is an alternate colour scheme used on the Heavy hulls. The Dark Eldar transports with the same hull and sail use white with a red oval. Because red/white/black make excellent contrasts to the dark blue-green of DE vehicles.

...plus, when you google "junk ship", every fifth or so comes with red sails.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

goons posted:

you're wrong wtf were you thinking
I admit it's farfetched, but as TheInvisiblePooka posted, we do have an actual Nazi problem. Without that, the Evil Empire color scheme might be just a cute reference.

Oh, and I found this guy:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/WH40kEmpire/ar/t597.htm

It's worth a see because there's a lot more and everything's painted/modeled really well technically, well except the :godwinning:

quote:

Now before anybody gets upset I want to make it known that I do not want to offend anybody and I am not posting this to look for or incite any confrontation. I am not a Nazi, nor to I support anything it stands for, they were and are in their modern incarnations, evil and wrong.

In my mind, the Imperium are the Bad-Guys, and because of all the reasons above, and I wanted to model my army as such
...he says, and then goes to make a whole new chapter called The Master Race, with special rules and Nazi-inspired detailed fluff for every unit :doh:

It's like the Eldar rape diorama, officially he just wants to make a statement/provocative art but you can't help but wonder if he's not just a creep.

ed: And I find it really amusing that there's way more swastikas than on actual Waffen SS units :allears:

VVV: I know the Finnish markings, but "The Master Race" doesn't exactly leave room for misinterpretation.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 18, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's closer to the blue-on-white swastika of the Finnish air force up to 1945.

Not to say that's better, because plenty of people will use that one instead of the Nazi one to cover for their poo poo and/or emphasize how it's Scandinavia that's really the home of the master race while also being "allowed" to explain away other people's indignation at the "Nazi" symbol with the smuggest loving smile you'll ever see on a human being. And the chapter makes overt references to the master race. But still.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Pierzak posted:

...he says, and then goes to make a whole new chapter called The Master Race, with special rules and Nazi-inspired detailed fluff for every unit :doh:

But does his Nazi fluff paint them in a positive light? Unless it does, then he makes perfect sense. I mean
1) Nazis are evil
2) Imperium of Man is Evil
So
Nazi Imperium of Man is super-duper-extra-evil.

Reads the Descriptions

Yeah, OK, either this guy is a Nazi covering his tracks, or an edgelord. I mean, his nickname is LeeHarvey, I wonder where he got that from. And the fluff doesn't seem to justify the Nazi iconography, either: they don't seem any more bent on purity, Lebensraum or oppressing abhumans/regular humans (I mean, there has to be some sort of Untermensch, right?_ than any other Chapter. I mean, Black Templars don't have Librarians, which already makes them more Nazi. And the lazy fucker can't even get historical Nazi, Wehrmacht or German names for his poo poo. Tactical Squad Worcester? What the Hell?

Also, "Master Race" is a stupid, stupid, stupid name for a chapter, how can a thousand dude collective be any sort of race...

Additional edit: No, I'm not done melting town! That chapter master tale is so stupid and edgy, that I believe he's a 16yo with vastly superior painting skills than mine. "Stronger than adamantium" my rear end.

*grumble grumble*Permanent attachment from Grey Knights*grumble*

JcDent fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 18, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

But, Hitler ordered all the commissars to be shot on the spot! :spergin::hist101:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SRM posted:

The IG are all pretty heavily influenced by historical figs since they're the "army guys" and they're sculpted by the Perry brothers, who have a great line of historicals and do reenactments and stuff. The Valhallans are super obviously WW2 Russians (mine are painted this way) while the Steel Legion look like German paratroopers from WW2. Tallarn are supposed to be like Desert Rats, Catachans like Rambo, the old Cadians like modern military, and Mordians look like Marine corps dress uniforms. The slightly modified Praetorian models were based off Age of Imperialism uniforms - they were made for a scenario called "Ork's Drift" for gently caress's sake! Vostroyans are like steampunk cossacks, and Death Korps are based on WW1 French and German forces. Elysians are also based on modern military guys, at least much moreso than Cadians are at this point.

Not to mention the 2nd edition Stormtroopers, which were based on the Green Berets.

(not mine, but the only photo I could find of them)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

Also, "Master Race" is a stupid, stupid, stupid name for a chapter, how can a thousand dude collective be any sort of race...

Because they have the purest geneseed, of course! :rolleyes:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well the Honor Guard are called the Reinheitskult, suggesting there's an Aryan purity emphasis in the chapter's theme.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I think you meant:

HiveCommander posted:

Because they have the purest geneseed, of course! :gizz:
...oh wait. :v:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because red/white/black make excellent contrasts to the dark blue-green of DE vehicles.

Red/black and yellow/black is also a very common color for many poisonous reptiles and insects. Its nature's way of saying "stay the gently caress away!". In fact its so effective that other, harmless animals have adopted the color scheme so predators would leave them alone.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's gone full circle.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ijyt posted:

It's gone full circle.

That's the only helmet that would fit on a scrunt. Please be more sensitive.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kaysette posted:

That's the only helmet that would fit on a scrunt. Please be more sensitive.

Has "scrunt" been creeping into to other forums yet, or is it still just a SA thing?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
This is the only forum I use, so I have no idea. I imagine they do talk about Bob Olley scrunt's occasionally, but probably not about this guy:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Kaysette posted:

This is the only forum I use, so I have no idea. I imagine they do talk about Bob Olley scrunt's occasionally, but probably not about this guy:

Scrunt scrunt scrunt

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Scrunt prime

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

albany academy posted:

Scrunt scrunt scrunt

Now imagine if goons think just the word scrunt is the pinnacle of comedy what the rest of the internet will be like with the word.

Let's pray it never gets into the wild.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

ijyt posted:

It's gone full circle.

Aw, so cute!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ijyt posted:

It's gone full circle.

I would unironically field an entire army of these dudes, properly painted of course. Are there chibi-Dreadnaughts or Terminators, as well?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Yes.

http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=chibi_profile&id=CA_SMCL

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

:dance:

Now to get the rules of Mantic's Warpath so I don't actually have to play 40K to use them!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

ijyt posted:

It's gone full circle.

That kinda reminds me of these guys:

from https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bi-xo-wars/x/1741995

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Making a fig almost entirely of power armor pauldrons is one of the more 40k things ever.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Look at this beauty:

Sky's the limit!

One thing I learned for Warhammer Proxies FB group is that people will proxy the most unlikely horrible poo poo. Sure, there was one guy with awesome MK. V coversion for a Land Raider, but the others...
And abou deck turrets: if you manage to get your hands on a T-28, shorten it by 30% or more, and maybe replace the main turret with Russ turret, you're good to go. T-28 already looks retarded enough to be 40K.

I found that guy's conversions and followed his rough guide.

His still looks better. Balls.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Your's look great, shut your mouth

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Genghis Cohen posted:

I found that guy's conversions and followed his rough guide.

His still looks better. Balls.

Instead of a loving rad tank you have a kickin' rad tank. Yours are dope.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

This actually took me a minute to notice. I was like, "Ok, no blobs of paint, the highlights and details don't look randomly applied. I don't see what the prob... oh."

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moto42 posted:

This actually took me a minute to notice. I was like, "Ok, no blobs of paint, the highlights and details don't look randomly applied. I don't see what the prob... oh."
That's the problem with Nazi-themed 40k stuff; they tend to be really well painted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That poo poo pisses me right off, while at the same time I'm OK playing historical games that have actual model Nazis in them.

I've been trying to put my finger on why that is - I think it has a lot to do with the person's motivation.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, being from Russia I would not be surprised to see a swastika on a tank some boy is playing with or some model an older dude modeleded up. The war is not forgotten over there. On the other hand 40k minis aren't at all connected and here in the west I fully expect anybody painting one to be doing it because they are a closet white power supporter.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

moths posted:

That poo poo pisses me right off, while at the same time I'm OK playing historical games that have actual model Nazis in them.

I've been trying to put my finger on why that is - I think it has a lot to do with the person's motivation.

It has to do with context.

Historicals is one thing. There's an acknowledgment that yes, there were Nazis in WW2, so if you're playing a WW2 game then you're going to have to deal with them at one point or another. Playing as them isn't even really seen as weird because well, SOMEONE has to play them, right?

But in 40k it's just jarring because while the Imperium is a xenophobic hell-hole, they are not literal Nazis goose-stepping through the streets and killing jews. Warhamms draw some really weird and terrible people, and when someone is putting Nazi poo poo on their far future space-men you can just tell there's something hosed in their head and that they might just think that Hitler had some good ideas.

Basically anyone putting Nazi symbols on Leman Russes is That Guy to the extreme.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

Why do I get the distinct impression that this:

is their motivation?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 19, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

moths posted:

I think with Historicals, it's the need for a 'bad guy' and the fact that most historical players are interested in the equipment more than the ideology. Someone who walks into a FoW game with 2. SS Panzerkompanie is pretty innocuous. You actually have to talk to the person to figure out if they're some Nazi turd or someone who is fielding it for the sake of the historical value. (I only fielded German forces because my gaming group lost a lot of our German players, and because the owner was a power gaming dick who would field an army that my Italians were ineffective against.)

In 40k, there aren't any actual "space Nazi" factions, despite how the fluff describes one faction or another. There are fascist factions, yes, but none are out right Nazis. So, someone walking into a 40k match with an IG armored division modeled a little too exuberantly on, say, Peiper's Charge, it's quite jarring to say the least, and you know who you're dealing with right from the start.

(Not to say that the camo patterns used by the KTs and Panthers in Peiper's armored group wouldn't look good in 40k, but there's a difference between cribbing a livery and putting swastikas on everything).

e: I am a slow poster, posting slowly.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 19, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

YF19pilot posted:

I think with Historicals, it's the need for a 'bad guy' and the fact that most historical players are interested in the equipment more than the ideology. Someone who walks into a FoW game with 2. SS Panzerkompanie is pretty innocuous. You actually have to talk to the person to figure out if they're some Nazi turd or someone who is fielding it for the sake of the historical value. (I only fielded German forces because my gaming group lost a lot of our German players, and because the owner was a power gaming dick who would field an army that my Italians were ineffective against.)

In 40k, there aren't any actual "space Nazi" factions, despite how the fluff describes one faction or another. There are fascist factions, yes, but none are out right Nazis. So, someone walking into a 40k match with an IG armored division modeled a little too exuberantly on, say, Peiper's Charge, it's quite jarring to say the least, and you know who you're dealing with right from the start.

(Not to say that the camo patterns used by the KTs and Panthers in Peiper's armored group wouldn't look good in 40k, but there's a difference between cribbing a livery and putting swastikas on everything).

e: I am a slow poster, posting slowly.

Also even real deal nazi poo poo had an aesthetic that said "nazi" without necessarily going all out with the swastikas.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Panzeh posted:

Also even real deal nazi poo poo had an aesthetic that said "nazi" without necessarily going all out with the swastikas.

This. German tanks, even those in SS Divisions, weren't covered in swastikas. Hell, the Germans learned that big obvious markings make excellent targets when the Polish anti-tank gunners kept hitting their tanks in that exact spot! 40k is obviously meant to be over the top in it's premise and regalia, but if you want "German WWII" aesthetic without being "that guy" who puts swastikas on everything, why not just stick to basic German Field Gray or the classic trio of Dunkelgelb/Olivgrun/Rotbraun that adorned so many PIVs? Or you know what, don't paint loving space Nazis in a game that doesn't have space Nazis!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really don't think they're trolling. I think they're exalting brain-damaged misconceptions and are itching for the opportunity to start a dialogue about the clean Wehrmacht and how "Actually, both sides had heroes..." and really Stalin was the villain, and :godwin:

But the period is legitimately fascinating: It starts with horses and bolt-action rifles, and finishes with near-modern tanks and night-scoped assault rifles. It's full of real-life heroics and drama, a parade of examples of humanity at our best and worst. Of course it's compelling, and you can fill your brain with trivia that might eventually be relevant.

Sorry to steer things heavy for a minute. Here's a bunch of weird-rear end :nws: titty-scorpions:

http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal156.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal155.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal154.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal153.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal152.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal151.jpg

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

I really don't think they're trolling. I think they're exalting brain-damaged misconceptions and are itching for the opportunity to start a dialogue about the clean Wehrmacht and how "Actually, both sides had heroes..." and really Stalin was the villain, and :godwin:

But the period is legitimately fascinating: It starts with horses and bolt-action rifles, and finishes with near-modern tanks and night-scoped assault rifles. It's full of real-life heroics and drama, a parade of examples of humanity at our best and worst. Of course it's compelling, and you can fill your brain with trivia that might eventually be relevant.

Sorry to steer things heavy for a minute. Here's a bunch of weird-rear end :nws: titty-scorpions:

http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal156.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal155.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal154.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal153.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal152.jpg
http://eurekamin.com.au/images/shadowforge/1fal151.jpg

I have some recollection of the "artist" saying that the 40k empire of man was a fascist regime and so using nazi iconography seemed appropriate. Less, "Hitler had some good ideas", and more "fascists are fascists so why not use potentially offensive imagery"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The most confusing thing about Shadowforge is that up until they sold off all the molds to Eureka it was owned by a single family. It must be really strange to have your family business be titty scorpions.