Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=combos/brutalst.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oh word? Where does he post his new versions of Brutal Doom though?

moddb

Prominent Duke3D modder EddyZykov unearthed one very strange first person shooter... for CD-i: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otp_chdnc4g
I'm honestly impressed that this device can do raytracing at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

laserghost posted:

moddb

Prominent Duke3D modder EddyZykov unearthed one very strange first person shooter... for CD-i: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otp_chdnc4g
I'm honestly impressed that this device can do raytracing at all.

There's a bunch like that for the CD-i and 3DO. Low res rendering combined with mostly flat shaded floors and ceilings and a constraining viewport on top of that means that's it's pretty easy for raytracing Wolf3D-like things to be done.

Incidentally that game came out in 1997, even though the CD-i was technically in production into 1998 it had been effectively dead since the PlayStation and Saturn came out, eliminating any room it had in the market. And that Wolf3D-ish game was going up against a port of Quake to Saturn as far as consoles go, and of course Quake II would be out on PC soon after.

Check this out for a 3DO FPS that actually came out more in line time-wise with the kinds of PC FPSes it resembled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_-E-UCsf0

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SavageMessiah posted:

The point was that nobody gets irritated when people bring those up.
No, I got that. My point was to explain (or at least posit) why it's only the one mod that irritates people.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The latest version of Daikatana 1.3 was released several days ago. The big change is a widescreen-friendly menu was addded. Several video bugs were also fixed. Looking at the changelog, I don't see any gameplay changes that were added in the latest version of 1.3.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's a bunch like that for the CD-i and 3DO. Low res rendering combined with mostly flat shaded floors and ceilings and a constraining viewport on top of that means that's it's pretty easy for raytracing Wolf3D-like things to be done.

Well, 3DO was quite competent console when it came to games, probably the most famous FPS it had was The Killing Time, while CD-i was more of multimedia device, which could run Video CD's and interactive books and similar crap. But good to know that the poor device did had some computing power at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

laserghost posted:

Well, 3DO was quite competent console when it came to games, probably the most famous FPS it had was The Killing Time, while CD-i was more of multimedia device, which could run Video CD's and interactive books and similar crap. But good to know that the poor device did had some computing power at all.

The 3DO and CD-i were actually quite close in terms of overall capability despite the CD-i being 2 years earlier, it's primary flaws were having less RAM, using a single speed CD drive instead of a double speed CD drive and of course mostly coming with horrible controllers and minimal good programmers.

And yeah they called the CD-i a "multimedia device" but that was also the whole concept the 3DO was produced under too, even though it ended up getting fewer "multimedia" titles. It's a big part of why the 3DO was actually available from multiple manufacturers, and also why Phillips had intended the CD-i format to be supported by other manufacturers.

It's also why both the CD-i and 3DO were ludicrously expensive, being as they were supposed to be a step above "just" consoles and a step below a full computer. So 90s. If only they'd known that the proper way to do that would have to wait for the internet to come around.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's ray casting, not ray tracing :science:

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Yo just a heads up @ Brutal Doom chat: Beautiful Doom + Weapons Of Saturn is almost the same thing, just not done by a brazilian racist and without retardedly fast imps! It's really fun

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

M.Ciaster posted:

...brazilian racist...

Why does it matter that he's Brazilian? :raise:

</joke>

Weapons of Saturn looks like something I'm going to take for a spin.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bouchacha posted:

That can't be Strife, unless they figured out how to add lightmapping on its levels.

Dunno.

Some fancy lightsourcing from the sky + good old fakecontrast for direction and other modern niceties, a different FOV setting, and that could be it.

There's only two skies we see: blue and red. The color palette on all screenshots match the color themes from Strife's textures and flats.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I released a mod for ECWolf on Sunday. Unlike my other mods, Coffee Break Episode 1: Castle Hasselhoff (yes, really, it's intentionally a bit light-hearted and goofy) uses mostly original assets with some Spear of Destiny and custom assets chosen to blend in, and provides a vanilla-like experience with some extra weapons and a couple of new enemies. It requires either a recent dev build of ECWolf or the ECWolf build available on the ModDB page, since it uses 7042 Hz sounds and ECWolf 1.3 does not properly support resampling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgcJxl9Un2o

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Woolie Wool posted:

Castle Hasselhoff

Man, say that 5 times fast

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey anyone remember Nitemare 3D?

It was pretty much Hugo 4.

http://youtu.be/wjmAPbxC-iE

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Cat Mattress posted:

Dunno.

Some fancy lightsourcing from the sky + good old fakecontrast for direction and other modern niceties, a different FOV setting, and that could be it.

There's only two skies we see: blue and red. The color palette on all screenshots match the color themes from Strife's textures and flats.

Welp.

The source of the torches match the blurred picture and everything looks right to be honest.

:)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe Strife is finally getting an official re-release and they hired Kaiser to do the repackage?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm pretty excited about this, being that I have played more strife than anyone on the planet. Seriously, I played the crap out of the demo and preordered the retail version. I've beaten it at least once a year since it was released. If anyone hasn't played it yet, play the demo first. There's a good trick you wouldn't know about if you skipped it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I couldn't get into Strife because I wanted to shoot stuff and I felt overwhelmed by all the quests they dumped on you from the very beginning.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I had a bit of trouble because the electric crossbow and punch knife are loving trash. The later guns are much better though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Electric crossbow is the back up gun, the poison arrows are dope as gently caress though. They don't even set off alarms. There's a trick where if you punch a dude and run backwards so they get on their knees and clutch their stomach then shoot them with an electric arrow they lean back and their guts fly out.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Maybe Strife is finally getting an official re-release and they hired Kaiser to do the repackage?
It's sounding more and more likely. A longtime Doom engine coder on the Doomworld forums:

"Strife is currently in good hands. More info to come soon."

"I can't say anything more. It's called a non-disclosure agreement. You'll find out with everybody else."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, cool, I was just spitballing. I bet it's another Night Dive job.

I always thought the quickest way to find out who owned the rights to Strife would be to just release it yourself and wait to see who sends the cease-and-desist notice.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

My problem was that I'd get told "go here" and I'd wander around aimlessly because I didn't know where to go exactly and then I'd end up getting killed by guards. At least I think that was what happened when I last played Strife.

I'm glad it's getting a legal re-release if that's true, but the fact that it was so confusing to me makes me not sure about going back to it.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 19, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'd like to finish Strife one of these days but I always taper off and then return to my old save to find out that GZDoom had updated in the interim and rendered my old save incompatible. (At least that hasn't happened for a while?) I've gotten as far as talking to the Oracle, at least. I forget if I fought the boss thereafter, Macil, the Front leader or not.

Also

Why haven't I tried Russian Overkill yet?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I really hope those rumours are true. Strife is awesome and more people need to play it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Strife is really good and deserves so much more attention than it gets. I want more Strife/Doom-style hub RPGs with NPCs and poo poo.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I wasn't a fan of Strife at all, but out of all the idtech1 games it had the most potential and could benefit the most from a little love.

The fact that they've got an NDA really perks my interest--this is definitely going to be more than just "another engine that can run Strife".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If NDAs are involved, then Night Dive Studios are likely involved too, what with their proclivity for taking care of impossible IP tangles and all. This probably means they're working on a re-release for Steam and GOG, which means they'd have likely gotten Quasar and Kaiser involved to get things up to code.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Night Dive bringing back Strife? Rad.

Also, the final v1.0 version of Doom: The Golden Souls was just released! Now with a bunch more levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk_zlS9l6KA

Also, I know we don't like talking about it here, but I found a test build of Brutal Doom v20 - still full of bugs, but it's tuning gameplay back to be a little more in like with classic Doom. The chaingun (at least in its primary fire mode) behaves a bit more like the vanilla version now, but less accurate. Word is it's due out next month.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

I'd like to finish Strife one of these days but I always taper off and then return to my old save to find out that GZDoom had updated in the interim and rendered my old save incompatible. (At least that hasn't happened for a while?) I've gotten as far as talking to the Oracle, at least. I forget if I fought the boss thereafter, Macil, the Front leader or not.

Also

Why haven't I tried Russian Overkill yet?

The huge mass of blown-apart bodies in that hallway are making me feel oddly :barf:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got back into Hexen but I'm confused as to where to go. I pulled a switch in the Guardian of Steel area and it told me I have to find another, but I don't know which of the bull switches moves the pillar to get to the other.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zeether posted:

I got back into Hexen but I'm confused as to where to go.

Ah so the game is working as intended.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Look at your map while you're pulling the switches

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

straight jerkers posted:

Look at your map while you're pulling the switches

Won't help, half the switches open doors on other levels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

It's a bit more complicated, since the overlapping sectors don't actually interact with each other either. You can have player 1 and player 2 standing in basically the exact same spot, but they wouldn't be able to see or hurt each other, and their two rooms would be completely different.

Eh, that's just non-euclidean space.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zeether posted:

I got back into Hexen but I'm confused as to where to go. I pulled a switch in the Guardian of Steel area and it told me I have to find another, but I don't know which of the bull switches moves the pillar to get to the other.

Keep looking at your map to make sure you explore everything you can. Activate all the switches. Some of the stuff you'll unlock in other levels, so you'll need a total of three visits to GOS to conquer it entirely. There's a short walkthrough on the wiki.

The main subtlety in GOS is the moving walls (polyobjects) on the east and west sides, that move on the north-south axis. There's a pull switch in each corner guardroom, activating them drags the nearest polyobject towards them. This is where it can be useful to look at your map to see them move and check if you have activated the right one. You have to push both polyobjects to both the north and to the south so as to access the two switches that each of them guard.

The third visit to GOS is only useful if you want to unlock the hub's secret level. Navigating through all the crushers is a bit annoying (and extremely noisy).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got past the GoS part but now I have no clue what to do in the ice area the second time through.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You should look up a walkthrough rather than asking single questions here because the entire game is going to be like that.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

A brief history of 3D Graphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxM9pMEnJQ0

This is by Ahoy, the same guy that has made the Amiga Doom Clones video, and the SSG video.

I love tightly edited mini-documentaries like this. Somewhat off-topic but anyone know of other youtube recommendations? I like Ragnar Rox for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxty8_HQsaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Zeether posted:

I got past the GoS part but now I have no clue what to do in the ice area the second time through.

Tips for the whole game: explore literally everywhere, press every switch, go back through levels you think you've completed because you probably haven't. Hexen is a massive switchhunt maze at the best of times and it's by far the biggest thing dragging it down