Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bum the Sad posted:

Woo. Got my $180 Apple Store gift card for mailing in my AT&T 16gb 5. Off to go get Apple Care and an over priced $50 scrap of leather to protect my 6+. So I can stop being so paranoid that I'm going to drop it and be out $1,000 for a new one.

Calm down weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

The warranty for your phone also covers whatever came in the box with it so Applecare+ does as well.

And would the try to count that cable as one of my two accidental damages? Because then I'd be retarded to do it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

This might be the first phone I ever buy a case for, because the aluminum back is ridiculously slick.

So I'll probably get one of those 0.3mm thick ones that has a rubberized back. gently caress cases.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bum the Sad posted:

And would the try to count that cable as one of my two accidental damages? Because then I'd be retarded to do it.

I don't think so. Accidental damage is $80 a pop. A new cable is $20. If you have a bad cable take it to an Apple Store and see what happens. At best they'll just give you a new one at worst they'll say no and you gotta spend $20 on one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't think so. Accidental damage is $80 a pop. A new cable is $20. If you have a bad cable take it to an Apple Store and see what happens. At best they'll just give you a new one at worst they'll say no and you gotta spend $20 on one.

When I was there last, a girl was there trying to replace one, but her phone was out of warranty, so they wouldn't replace her cable for free, but they offered her one for $17 (rather than $20) but with a 90 day warranty rather than the full one. But you might get lucky.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People in this thread have reported if you take a charge cable in that looks like an active fire hazard, they'll replace it no questions asked. As posted above, they don't want to risk the bad press of burning down an orphanage because they refused to swap a cable.

If they don't, no big deal. Just go to the nearest walgreens and buy the third party cheapo version next to the cash register.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
Any idea why iTunes is telling me I'm over capacity by 3.02gb on my 64GB 6S, despite my iPhone telling me I've got 11GB free? ITunes says I've got 20GB of photos (2,630 in all) but the usage setting on my phone says I've got 3.6GB of photos, which is far more likely. In photos.app, 'All Photos' is showing 1,455 photos.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

xzzy posted:

People in this thread have reported if you take a charge cable in that looks like an active fire hazard, they'll replace it no questions asked. As posted above, they don't want to risk the bad press of burning down an orphanage because they refused to swap a cable.

If they don't, no big deal. Just go to the nearest walgreens and buy the third party cheapo version next to the cash register.

Yep. That was me. I really don't think they care about a $.25 cable :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

Don't do that, I bought a 3 pack and 2 didn't work, the third lasted a week. Lightning cables are still expensive because of the proprietary stuff. Get a certified Belkin one if you don't want to pay for Apple's, but don't buy the cheapos.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Monoprice and Amazon Basics are also perfectly cromulent cables.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Don't do that, I bought a 3 pack and 2 didn't work, the third lasted a week. Lightning cables are still expensive because of the proprietary stuff. Get a certified Belkin one if you don't want to pay for Apple's, but don't buy the cheapos.

I've bought several cheeps from walgreens and every one of them has worked flawlessly.

:iiam:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I thought we were getting rid of the Recently Deleted folder with the latest iOS?

Sychopath
Sep 27, 2000

ICHIBAHN posted:

I thought we were getting rid of the Recently Deleted folder with the latest iOS?

Camera roll is back, Recently Deleted is not going away.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't think that was ever in the cards, just Camera Roll coming back.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aww man. Cheers.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I've decided to get a 6; however, I've reached my OCD tolerance for how unorganized my data is at the moment.

First, my photos.

Problem #1: "My Photo Stream" on my iPhone says I have 6 photos. "My Photo Stream" on my PC says I have 246. Why? Is there a way to 'fix' this so I can access all my photos uploaded to Photo Stream?
Problem #2: Once I'm able to access all my photos exclusively through Photo Stream on my phone, I want to wipe my phone of most if not all pictures. Will deleting them from Camera Roll do the trick?

Second, OTHER DATA and app data. It just gets bigger. How do I properly manage this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gio posted:

Second, OTHER DATA and app data. It just gets bigger. How do I properly manage this?
Don't install any apps?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Don't install any apps?

Cute.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I just did a really stupid thing. My friend just bought an iPhone 6 so I bought his iPhone 5s off him 'cause my 3 year old Android was getting pretty slow and outdated.

Went to the Mobistar store to get a nano SIM since my old one was micro. Pop it in, start it up, go through the basic setup stuff, and yay it works! Have a beer and some carbonnade at a cafe while surfing the net and downloading a couple apps.

Go back home and forget about the phone for a few hours 'til I receive a voicemail from my friend. Weird that I didn't get the actual call, just the voicemail... so I try to call my voicemail but it hangs up immediately. I try to call my friend back but it hangs up immediately. A few minutes later she leaves another voicemail, and again I cannot check it, call her, or message her.

I google this issue and it seems others have it too. I gently caress with the settings, turn things on and off, etc. Reboot the phone multiple times. Nothing's working. Internet is fine, I can receive voicemails (but not calls), messages are hosed, what the gently caress?

And it's not my carrier either. My little LG was working just fine an hour before I swapped to the iPhone.

Anybody experience this or at least know how to fix it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Jesus Christ posted:

I just did a really stupid thing. My friend just bought an iPhone 6 so I bought his iPhone 5s off him 'cause my 3 year old Android was getting pretty slow and outdated.

Went to the Mobistar store to get a nano SIM since my old one was micro. Pop it in, start it up, go through the basic setup stuff, and yay it works! Have a beer and some carbonnade at a cafe while surfing the net and downloading a couple apps.

Go back home and forget about the phone for a few hours 'til I receive a voicemail from my friend. Weird that I didn't get the actual call, just the voicemail... so I try to call my voicemail but it hangs up immediately. I try to call my friend back but it hangs up immediately. A few minutes later she leaves another voicemail, and again I cannot check it, call her, or message her.

I google this issue and it seems others have it too. I gently caress with the settings, turn things on and off, etc. Reboot the phone multiple times. Nothing's working. Internet is fine, I can receive voicemails (but not calls), messages are hosed, what the gently caress?

And it's not my carrier either. My little LG was working just fine an hour before I swapped to the iPhone.

Anybody experience this or at least know how to fix it?
Hard resent (hold the sleep and home buttons for like 10 seconds).

If that doesn't work restore and set up as a new phone.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have an iphone 5s that I got around launch. The battery doesn't get me through the day anymore and sometimes the phone goes into emergency shutdown with as much as 20% left on the battery meter. Do I have any options for fixing this? I don't have apple care.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

I have an iphone 5s that I got around launch. The battery doesn't get me through the day anymore and sometimes the phone goes into emergency shutdown with as much as 20% left on the battery meter. Do I have any options for fixing this? I don't have apple care.
You can take it to an Apple store and get a fresh battery for 80 bucks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ogmius815 posted:

$79 will get you a new battery from Apple.

e: f, b

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
$79 will fix that battery issue quick.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Also depending on how closely to "around launch" you got your phone it might still be under warranty. Probably not but double check. Also you could try the pity party move since you're likely less than a month out of warranty.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Also depending on how closely to "around launch" you got your phone it might still be under warranty. Probably not but double check. Also you could try the pity party move since you're likely less than a month out of warranty.

I got the phone in very early October 2013 but my ego is fragile enough that $80 is not worth having to beg an apple-store employee for special treatment. Thanks guys.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
In cable chat, I brought in two cables that I had wrapped in electrical tape, and then it frayed below that, so I did a second wrap. This was before I heard about taking them in.

The lady said that she would replace one only after I looked really sad. She initially said she and others had been scolded for replacing too many of them that were so badly damaged. So they will replace them, but YMMV. If it's too much of a fire hazard they might refuse it. There's a sweet spot apparently between frayed and hosed.

Britbong
Nov 18, 2014
Picked up the standard 6 and now helping Apple users on the support forums connect their Phones to Macs with Yosemite.

Anyone else here experienced issues with their new phone and a Mac? Mine went fine.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Connect in what sense?

Britbong
Nov 18, 2014

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Connect in what sense?

Some people have reported issues using the handoff features of 8.X combined with Yosemite.

So far I get results just having my phone nearby and with both devices logged into the same iCloud account.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Handoff/Continuity features are only available on certain Macs with proper bluetooth hardware.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So I've been having a lot of wifi issues since updating my 5s to ios 8 but the 8.1.1 fixed that and I'm rather pleased.

I thought you guys should know about that.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Speaking of continuity, is there a way to stop voice calls from coming in on my MacBook, while keeping sms? Or a way to change the ring tone that plays on the Mac or make it silent while keeping text and other notification around at normal volume?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's in your FaceTime (on the Mac) settings.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Speaking of continuity, is there a way to stop voice calls from coming in on my MacBook, while keeping sms? Or a way to change the ring tone that plays on the Mac or make it silent while keeping text and other notification around at normal volume?

Settings> FaceTime > iPhone Cellular Calls [off] will make it so only your phone will receive and make calls.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Pretty sure the checkbox in FaceTime to take cell calls from iPhone doesn't affect Messages ability to take sms from iPhone.

Edit: beaten as gently caress

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Any thin 6+ cases that don't get crud stuck under the corners? Every open case I've ever owned has done this. Am I stuck with an enclosed case?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Trillest Parrot posted:

Any thin 6+ cases that don't get crud stuck under the corners? Every open case I've ever owned has done this. Am I stuck with an enclosed case?

On this topic; Never used a case for my iPhone before but it might be about time with this 6 being so thin and such. Any suggestions?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

goodness posted:

On this topic; Never used a case for my iPhone before but it might be about time with this 6 being so thin and such. Any suggestions?

I have the apple leather case and it's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't sync my 6 regularly because the "Other" category literally grows every time I click "Sync" in iTunes, even if I synced a minute earlier and nothing changed.