Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Wittgen posted:

It was a pretty great book. The thing is that it was basically the first and last chapters of the main books cranked up to 11 and with nothing else. If you don't like his "cut flower sound" kind of prose, where the words are pretty but the meaning is vague to non-existent, you're going to hate Slow Regard of Silent Things.

That's the thing though, I thought the meaning was pretty explicit. Auri came close to a psychotic break, that was the climax. If Rothfuss hasn't experienced either a bad acid trip or psychotic episodes himself, I'd be surprised, since he captured it so well.

It's definitely not just the prose, though. A lot happens, it's just all in her head. I felt the danger creeping up my spine on days 5 and 6, and foreshadowed back to day two, as much as I've ever felt in another book with more relatable/palpable antagonists. For someone who skips over that as having nothing to do with "reality", yeah, it's going to seem uneventful. For me? I started feeling that funny sharp smell that smells like electric oranges in parts of my sinuses that don't exist while I was reading the story. There's a lot there, and it rings true.

If you like Rothfuss, but this story didn't grab you, don't let it make you doubt him. Accept the words of a crazy person: this guy can write crazy people. Maybe you just don't like reading stories about the insides of crazy people's heads. If it didn't seem obvious and stupid as a sane person, well, they wouldn't be crazy, would they?

wellwhoopdedooo fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

BananaNutkins posted:

The other 156 pages are entirely ENTIRELY composed of stuff that should be cut from any other story. Chapter 1-5 is this:

Chapter 1 Auri gets out of bed and combs her hair
Chater 2 Auri takes a walk and then a bath
Chapter 3 Auri eats
Chapter 4 Auri does home repairs
Chapter 5 Auri picks out a gift and goes for another walk

There is nothing else. Rothfuss tries to carry it on prose alone, and he just isn't that talented. No one is. And it doesn't get any better from there.

You should read The Phoenix Guard by Steven Brust. It's pretty much what Patrick Rothfuss wishes he could do but can't.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wish books had change logs. My digital copy of NotW just updated but I have no clue what changed. I thought that maybe they stuck a mention of The Slow Regard of Silent Things in the back, but nope.

code:
diff NotW.new NotW.old
Should be pretty trivial to do if you have an old version lying around. :v:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

You should read The Phoenix Guard by Steven Brust. It's pretty much what Patrick Rothfuss wishes he could do but can't.

The Phoenix Guard AKA Too Many Words: The Series

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Eh, I'm late to the party, but whatever.

I liked Name of the Wind, but I have to admit that it has its faults as well. Besides the borderline Mary Sue main character (who would be a complete Mary Sue if it weren't for the fact that we know he screws up everything at the end), the book has a lot of text and pacing that seems to go nowhere. And while I don't really care about the romantic aspects of the book, I happen to like the manipulation/action when it's there.

But I have to agree that the books don't seem to go anywhere, plot-wise. The only thing I really remember that kinda pertained to the plot was Kvothe's retelling of his story and Eldigan.

I hope book 3 rectifies the pacing, though. It would be a nice change.

:argh: Dammit Rothfuss! When are you going to release book 3!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thats not fair. Remember, he skipped over a trial that launched Kvothe into modern myth, a pirate attack at sea, surviving a ship wreck, etc.

So, the part where he skipped what would of been things actually happening in order to smugly "subvert genre conventions"?

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Yeah, you missed a lot.

e: I mean seriously, it's like you read a book that you were warned you wouldn't like if you're not into conventional stories and then were shocked when it wasn't conventionally entertaining.

It's really obnoxious when someone does something lovely and then does a "if you don't get it you're not as smart as me" hand wave and people lap it up. This argument is awful. If I say, you might not like it when I punch you in the face, and then I punch you in the face, you have every right to get indignant because it was a lovely thing to do. The guy isn't acting like he got bamboozled, he's saying the book is poorly written.

Barbe Rouge posted:

The Phoenix Guard AKA Too Many Words: The Series

So, totally what Rothfus is doing?

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 13, 2014

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

BananaNutkins posted:

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is Rothfuss' third stand-alone release, after smash hit The Name of the Wind (tight prose, decent story, bit of a mary sue protag), and its follow up Wise Man's Fear(so-so prose, terrible story, full blown mary sue protag), which also sold like gangbusters.

It is easily the worst thing I have ever read.

I'm not saying this lightly. It soundly beats Peter David's (aka David Peter) Psi-man:Deathscape as the most painful piece of writing I've endured. Part of what makes it so, so bad is that it thinks very highly of itself. Condescension oozes from of every line.

The foreword warns readers that this book is not like his other books, and that only special people who "love words and mysteries and secrets. For those curious about Alchemy and the Underthing. For those who wish to understand the hidden turnings of my world..."

This is emperor's new clothes-esque appeal is the most compelling thing in the book.

The other 156 pages are entirely ENTIRELY composed of stuff that should be cut from any other story. Chapter 1-5 is this:

Chapter 1 Auri gets out of bed and combs her hair
Chater 2 Auri takes a walk and then a bath
Chapter 3 Auri eats
Chapter 4 Auri does home repairs
Chapter 5 Auri picks out a gift and goes for another walk

There is nothing else. Rothfuss tries to carry it on prose alone, and he just isn't that talented. No one is. And it doesn't get any better from there.

There's no dialog. No plot. I cannot stress this enough. I'm completely and utterly dumbfounded that its possible to write for 156 pages and not say or do anything. Not to mention get it published afterwords.

If you want to read 156 pages of character actions, this is the book for you--opening doors, picking stuff up and putting it in other places, long walks and vague descriptions of pipes and poorly lit passageways. Twee observations about found objects and the anthropomorphization of those objects by the most infuriatingly twee protagonist of all time.

I thought I was just having a bad reaction to the book, so I sat on my feelings for awhile before writing this. Maybe I have a case of hype-backlash? But no.

The only faster nose-dive in quality and career trajectory has been Peter V. Brett's. If this is representative of Rothfuss' current quality standard, I expect his next book to leave a crater.

Maybe, you just didn't like the book. It's not like every other book. That's the point, it spends 8 pages making soap and taking about screaming ashes.

It's not a bad book and the prose isn't terrible. Stop projecting your feelings onto the author, nowhere is he condescending! He is anxious and worried that readers won't like his book or understand his vision. It says so right in the beginning and in the end of the book.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

zokie posted:

Maybe, you just didn't like the book. It's not like every other book. That's the point, it spends 8 pages making soap and taking about screaming ashes.

It's not a bad book and the prose isn't terrible. Stop projecting your feelings onto the author, nowhere is he condescending! He is anxious and worried that readers won't like his book or understand his vision. It says so right in the beginning and in the end of the book.

You act like Rothfuss wrote something like Albert Camus' the Stranger where protags lack of emotion is necessary to gain a profound understanding the character. But The Stranger was very interesting and entertaining because of the social implications and because we are shown actual situations where having such a deadened sense of emotion and morality have consequences.

Also, two Arabs get shot at the beach.

Auri is damaged and twee, but never is she placed into a position where that matters. That is the entirety of the story and it isn't enough.

I'm not an idiot, and I didn't miss anything. I wasn't invested in this story being good or bad. I've personally met Rothfuss and he seems like a decent guy. But he seems to attract die hard fans in the same way Kevin Smith does--they'll put on blinders to his creepy statements he puts on his blog and rave about Clerks.

The Slow Regard isn't even a Clerks 2 level failure. It's a new author who doesn't know how to tell a story failure. It's an experimental piece of writing that should have been scrapped after reader feedback showed him it wasn't working. It stinks of surrounding himself with sycophants and yes men instead of people who can help him grow.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 14, 2014

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Aw gently caress I was right there with you until you had to throw Kevin Smith in there. And Clerks 2 was good.
(Unlike this book). Maybe I'm dumb but I read a lot and I'll read stuff I know is lovely, and even sometimes can say " it's not for me, I just don't get it". But I really don't see what there is even here to get.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

BananaNutkins posted:

It's an experimental piece of writing that should have been scrapped after reader feedback showed him it wasn't working. It stinks of surrounding himself with sycophants and yes men instead of people who can help him grow.

Yes, this best seller which lots of people like should definitely not have been released. Everyone who has positively reviewed is a sycophantic idiot. For sure.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Wittgen posted:

Yes, this best seller which lots of people like should definitely not have been released. Everyone who has positively reviewed is a sycophantic idiot. For sure.

You realize that all the points you bring up in the books favor (best seller, lots of people like it, positive reviews) also work for Twilight, right?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Get that he can be a real loving weirdo sometimes, and that there are plenty of critiques that can be made of his works. But why is it impossible to look as this weird as gently caress, very unconventional work and accept the author at his word that it may not be for everyone, or indeed most people. I never got any sense of superiority or condescension when he talked of Slow Regard of Silent Things, and he can certainly be condescending about things. This isn't about being like "oh, well you just didn't get it" or anything. He said the book would be a few days in the life of Auri, and that's certainly what it was.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Eminai posted:

You realize that all the points you bring up in the books favor (best seller, lots of people like it, positive reviews) also work for Twilight, right?

Yes, very true. You seem to have missed my point, though, so I'll just use Twilight to illustrate.

"Twilight should never have been published." Well, that's a pretty dumb thing to say. I don't care for Twilight in terms of its craft or its messages, but to go as far as saying it should never have seen the light of day because it doesn't meet my tastes? Pretty silly and a bit pretentious. It may not be for me, but it's brought a lot of people joy and it made a lot of money. It's hard to see how publishing it was a bad idea.

"Twilight was published because Stephanie Meyer is surrounded by sycophants. Too bad she didn't have people like me to tell her it sucks and help her grow as an artist." This is also a dumb thing to say, and on top of that, it's extraordinarily condescending. I don't like Twilight, but that doesn't mean everybody who likes it is some kind of unthinking super fan.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I'm really not that invested in liking or defending Rothfuss, but the level of butthurt that is sometimes expressed in this thread is quite ridiculous.

It says right in the beginning that you might not like this book, and probably shouldn't buy it. If you did buy it and didn't like it that's because it wasn't for you. That's ok, you don't have to like every book. That you didn't like the book doesn't mean that those of who do are sycophantic fans with no taste, or understanding of prose, and that the book is terrible.
It means you didn't like it, get over it. You didn't like a book with one weird character doing weird stuff for strange reasons. Not every one wants to read 8 pages about making soap, I did and you didn't. I'm sorry you bought and didn't like a book the author warned you about, would you like a hug?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
People project too much and get too mad over an alright fantasy author. "He didn't write books the way I would have written them I'm so mad :qq: "

Save your vitriol for the people who think he's the most amazingly fantasy writer ever, otherwise why bother getting so worked up about some books that don't appeal to you.

Then again I thought The Magicians was a pile of poorly written poo poo and reacted the same way so maybe I should take my own advice

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The guy wrote a review and gets dogpiled for saying he thought the book was condescending and somehow he's the whiny :qq:? Grow up, people are allowed to not like your dumb flowery wizard waifu book.

For what its worth, I think its basically the best stuff Rossfuss does combined with the very worst. The prose is nice but there's zero progression and he does nothing with said prose, which is kinda the main issue with his main series overall.

The reason the foreword is dumb is because there are hundreds of books exactly like this one, that carry themselves entirely on beautiful prose and experimental storytelling. This is just a bad version of that writing style prefixed with a 'you won't get this' blurb.

At least we didn't have to hear about Auri's money problems and her exact fiscal situation every 50 pages I suppose. Silver linings.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Just finished it, & I rather liked it, at least she appears to have the secret to the ever burning lamp.
If the whole story arc had been more planned, then these chapters (or ones that told the same basic stuff but without being on consecutive days) could have been spread about the main books and no-one would have blinked twice.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I think my biggest problem with the problems people have with this book (woo, awkward syntax, woo) is the foreword.

To sum it up:
You might not want to buy this book because:
- You shouldn't read it before the other two, because without the context from them it would be kinda confusing.
- "It doesn't do a lot of the things a classic story is supposed to do."
- It doesn't act as a continuation of the other two books.
That's literally it. There's no "Ooh, you might not like it because you're not intellectual enough!" in there. Just: "It's an unconventional work of prose, so be aware."

I feel like saying "I didn't like this book because it didn't have any dialogue or action and was mostly stuff that would have been cut from most books!" and then following that up with "And the foreword where he says you might not want to buy this book because it isn't like most books is sooo pretentious and up his own arse!" is kinda unfair.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Man, this has turned into a grab-bag of awful arguments.

Those of you who are supporting this poo poo are blowing my mind. No one is offering counter points about the book's merits. You ARE the fanboys and sycophants that people are ragging on. This is a books forum not a circle jerk to your favorite lovely genre fiction author forum. If you aren't going to read books critically don't bother entering into conversations on books.

Rothfus has posted enough poo poo on his blog to demonstrate that he is 1.) up his own rear end, and 2.) a pretty lovely human being. That's fine. A lot of people who make art are lovely people, and you don't have to like them to like what they produce. Defending Rothfus as a person is a losing proposition, so maybe try to defend the books you supposedly like on their own merits.

The argument that things that are popular are good is loving terrible. Being popular has no bearing on something's quality from a critical standpoint. Plenty of popular things are reprehensible, bland, or generally bad. McDonald's is popular, but if you want to make an argument that it's good food, you're a clown.

As to the argument that "but, but the forward said you might not like it!" This is either naive or stupid. We're talking about an author with a large following, he (and more importantly his publisher) knows that he has plenty of fans who will buy whatever he puts out, and he's cashing in here. The forward is just covering his rear end to try to evade criticism. That's all the forward is, and attempt to avoid critique. Any piece of art will have people who like it and people who don't, but trying to avoid critique by claiming that your work is only for certain special people who get you is a chickenshit cop out. This is a book that would never ever have been published if it wasn't produced by an established author whose publisher knew that he could put out any piece of poo poo and sell a respectable number of copies to his base.

Deviating from convention in and of itself is not worthy of praise. You have to do something meaningful by way of the deviation. Rothfus isn't doing something innovative or special here, he's just being weird because he can. Someone mentioned Kevin Smith earlier and that is a great analogy because Smith's "don't critique my movies, go make your own movies" argument is loving awful, and this is the literary equivalent. Any time you try to shut down criticism before a discussion starts you're in the wrong.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Karnegal, given how consistently and passionately you post about your hatred for Rothfuss, I'm surprised you've already read his latest book. That's dedication.

quote:

No one is offering counter points about the book's merits.

Actually, people have mentioned what they liked about the book. I'll list a few positive points to save you the trouble of looking. The prose is beautiful. The personification of objects is endearing but tragic. The book is powerfully inside Auri's head, and it gives a really great perspective on how she sees the world. It conveys how her mind has suffered. It was emotionally resonant. The illustrations were nice.

quote:

You ARE the fanboys and sycophants that people are ragging on.

This strikes me as odd. The most positive thing I've seen people say is that they really liked it. I haven't seen anyone saying it's the best thing ever or that Rothfuss is an amazing person. On the negative side, though, people are saying "it's easily the worst thing I've ever read," that it should never have been published, and that Rothfuss is just awful. But people with a positive reaction to the book are mindless fanboys and the negative side are just offering levelheaded, well reasoned critique?

quote:

The argument that things that are popular are good is loving terrible

Yeah, it is. Good thing absolutely no one has made that argument. I was responding specifically to "this should never have been published." Saying something that has both made money and been critically well received should never have been released just because you don't like it makes no sense to me. You could argue the world would be better off without McDonald's because if its environmental effects or for the sake of public nutrition. No such argument was being made though. It was straight up "the world should be beholden to my aesthetic sensibilities."

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Wittgen posted:

Actually, people have mentioned what they liked about the book. I'll list a few positive points to save you the trouble of looking. The prose is beautiful. The personification of objects is endearing but tragic. The book is powerfully inside Auri's head, and it gives a really great perspective on how she sees the world. It conveys how her mind has suffered. It was emotionally resonant. The illustrations were nice.

I agree with Karnegal on this one. Of the positive points you listed, I've only seen two of them argued here before. (Those being that the prose is beautiful and that it's inside Auri's head.) Everyone else arguing that the book is good has just been saying 'the foreword told you not to read it if you weren't going to like it!'. The problem with that is that until I read it, I can't know whether or not I'm going to like it. I have liked some 'unconventional stories' before, but that doesn't necessarily mean I will like this unconventional story by this author.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it shouldn't have been published, and I'm glad that other people are enjoying it - but those people on the whole haven't been making a great case for why it's enjoyable or worth taking the time to read. Maybe that links back to the nature of the book, I can see how it would be hard to give concrete points in favour of such an unconventional story. Ultimately, though, negative reviews have given me a far clearer picture of what to expect from the book than either Rothfuss's own disclaimer or the positive reviews here. I'll still probably read at least a couple of chapters myself, but it's not going to the top of my 'to read' list.

Despite that, thank you for actually giving some positive qualities of the book. It's helped balance up my impression of it, rather than deriving it entirely from one side of the argument.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Maud Moonshine posted:

I agree with Karnegal on this one. Of the positive points you listed, I've only seen two of them argued here before. (Those being that the prose is beautiful and that it's inside Auri's head.) Everyone else arguing that the book is good has just been saying 'the foreword told you not to read it if you weren't going to like it!'. The problem with that is that until I read it, I can't know whether or not I'm going to like it. I have liked some 'unconventional stories' before, but that doesn't necessarily mean I will like this unconventional story by this author.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it shouldn't have been published, and I'm glad that other people are enjoying it - but those people on the whole haven't been making a great case for why it's enjoyable or worth taking the time to read. Maybe that links back to the nature of the book, I can see how it would be hard to give concrete points in favour of such an unconventional story. Ultimately, though, negative reviews have given me a far clearer picture of what to expect from the book than either Rothfuss's own disclaimer or the positive reviews here. I'll still probably read at least a couple of chapters myself, but it's not going to the top of my 'to read' list.

Despite that, thank you for actually giving some positive qualities of the book. It's helped balance up my impression of it, rather than deriving it entirely from one side of the argument.

The endorsement that really got me was this post:

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

That's the thing though, I thought the meaning was pretty explicit. Auri came close to a psychotic break, that was the climax. If Rothfuss hasn't experienced either a bad acid trip or psychotic episodes himself, I'd be surprised, since he captured it so well.

It's definitely not just the prose, though. A lot happens, it's just all in her head. I felt the danger creeping up my spine on days 5 and 6, and foreshadowed back to day two, as much as I've ever felt in another book with more relatable/palpable antagonists. For someone who skips over that as having nothing to do with "reality", yeah, it's going to seem uneventful. For me? I started feeling that funny sharp smell that smells like electric oranges in parts of my sinuses that don't exist while I was reading the story. There's a lot there, and it rings true.

If you like Rothfuss, but this story didn't grab you, don't let it make you doubt him. Accept the words of a crazy person: this guy can write crazy people. Maybe you just don't like reading stories about the insides of crazy people's heads. If it didn't seem obvious and stupid as a sane person, well, they wouldn't be crazy, would they?

I think it goes beyond just being in Auri's mind. A book that gives such an intimate understanding and view of mental illness is very valuable, in my opinion.

I will say though, I did see all of the points brought up by Wittgen being argued. Most people who mentioned the foreword was talking about the people who either a) called him pretentious for having it or b) straight up said it shouldn't have been published/is indicative of a horrible slide in Rothfuss' career, etcetc.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 17, 2014

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Dear Pat,

Please write a really dark and depressing book about the rise of the Chandrian. Don't even finish the Kingkiller series. Hopefully Kvothe turns out to be an amusing footnote in the list of people the Chandrian just straight murder.

Thanks,
Benson Cunningham

P.S. If you want to write a whole book about the Cthaeh that would be really cool too. It is the single neatest idea you've had to date.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dear Pat,

Please write a really dark and depressing book about the rise of the Chandrian. Don't even finish the Kingkiller series. Hopefully Kvothe turns out to be an amusing footnote in the list of people the Chandrian just straight murder.

Thanks,
Benson Cunningham

P.S. If you want to write a whole book about the Cthaeh that would be really cool too. It is the single neatest idea you've had to date.

We're about 2000 pages into a story about a boys search for the truth behind the Chandrian who murdered his parents and we have had maybe 5 pages of Chandrian talk total. Its amazing how little story has been told in two gigantic books.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're about 2000 pages into a story about a boys search for the truth behind the Chandrian who murdered his parents and we have had maybe 5 pages of Chandrian talk total. Its amazing how little story has been told in two gigantic books.

If he flipped his ratio of Denna and Chandrian, think how good these books would be.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The more he goes on about something the worse it is, though, because Rothfuss drives everything into the ground. A whole book of Chandrian and Cthaeh stuff would probably be boring as hell.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

If he flipped his ratio of Denna and Chandrian, think how good these books would be.

The series would essentially be finished halfway through the first book. :v:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Boing posted:

The more he goes on about something the worse it is, though, because Rothfuss drives everything into the ground. A whole book of Chandrian and Cthaeh stuff would probably be boring as hell.

The thing is, the Cthaeh has established motives which make it instantly more relatable than Denna. Denna just wonders around the world doing what the gently caress ever. The Cthaeh is an omniscient guy who posts comments on youtube videos then sits back and watches the world burn.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And the most interesting character of the series was scared to death that Kvothe spoke to it. I'm hoping that the entire next book is nothing but interesting story telling, but a large part of me knows it's gonna begin with Kvothe getting thrown out of school and then 800 pages of his money struggles/playing a lute.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

And the most interesting character of the series was scared to death that Kvothe spoke to it. I'm hoping that the entire next book is nothing but interesting story telling, but a large part of me knows it's gonna begin with Kvothe getting thrown out of school and then 800 pages of his money struggles/playing a lute.

Bast's reaction was one of the best parts of the book. He goes from being a fairly composed individual to a hysterical panic. It would be interesting to know how Kvothe got to the tree in the first place if it's always under watch though. Given the gravity of Bast's description of things it's rather odd that Kvothe managed to just walk right up to it without issue. Or that he left without a trace or that any trace of his presence there had never been noticed by anyone who keeps watch over the area.

Though it does seem pretty clear that Elodin's right about Kvothe having called Felurian's true name when they struggled initially (and bound her in some way as a result), since she not only treated him so royally but reacted to his return with compassion at his suffering and not by freaking the gently caress out and killing him or running to tell others what happened so he could be dealt with.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So did anyone else read the Bast short story? I really enjoyed it. Seeing him sort things out his own way and internalize how he is changing being in the human realm was pretty cool. Not to mention the little bit of Kvothe we got where he actually is treating him like a student.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

So did anyone else read the Bast short story? I really enjoyed it. Seeing him sort things out his own way and internalize how he is changing being in the human realm was pretty cool. Not to mention the little bit of Kvothe we got where he actually is treating him like a student.

Where does this actually interesting sounding story reside?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Where does this actually interesting sounding story reside?

It was the story that replaced Auri's story in the anthology: Rogues

(or was that another anthology? Anyways, Bast's story is in that one.)

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.
I think the illustrations in Slow Regard are there for more than just padding the page count. The picture of the moon shows that it doesn't just get eclipsed in shadow, it actually changes shape as it goes through phases and the picture of the inside of the book has a picture of someone who could be Haliax.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

The thing is, the Cthaeh has established motives which make it instantly more relatable than Denna. Denna just wonders around the world doing what the gently caress ever. The Cthaeh is an omniscient guy who posts comments on youtube videos then sits back and watches the world burn.

It's not that she doesn't have motives, it's more Kvothe has no idea what they are (or thinks it's sex-with-guys-not-me and cries to himself) but he's never really bothered to find out even though he "loves" her and oh God I really want the whole point of this series to be Old Kvothe going "And that's it, that's how I hosed it up by being a stupid horny 19 year old idiot, okay, I hosed up and now we're all doomed. You got your loving story. Are you loving happy now?"

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Denna has very clear motivation. She wants to live life on her own terms, free of sexual coercion. She doesn't wander the world "doing what the gently caress ever." She wanders around looking for people who will support her in the short term while scouting out a sponsor. Then she wanders around the world doing work for her totally not a chandrian I swear sponsor Mr. Ash. It's pretty obvious stuff. Kvothe is just an utter idiot and tool when it comes to Denna.

My enjoyment of Slow Regard and some holiday season lethargy led to me rereading Name of the Wind again. I actually found Denna to be delightful. I feel like all the major characters tend to be substantially better than Kvothe at something. Simmon knows alchemy. Fela beats him at naming. Elodin was a far greater prodigy when he was Kvothe's age. Devi kicks the poo poo of him at sympathy. And Denna is better than Kvothe at social interaction. Kvothe is silver tongued, but that's just an encyclopedic knowledge of court manners and stage training. He can't seem to actually read or understand other people at all. Denna reads people great. Kvothe and Denna are crazy for each other. Kvothe thinks Denna isn't interested for the awful reason that he's terrified of making a move or even just being at all honest with her. Denna thinks Kvothe isn't interested for the very reasonable reason of having all but told Kvothe to make a move to no avail.

Kvothe's view of Denna is messed up, but Denna is actually awesome.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

So in an effort to live a life on her own terms, free of sexual coercion, she lives a life on other people's terms filled with sexual coercion? Gotcha.

the JJ posted:

It's not that she doesn't have motives, it's more Kvothe has no idea what they are (or thinks it's sex-with-guys-not-me and cries to himself) but he's never really bothered to find out even though he "loves" her and oh God I really want the whole point of this series to be Old Kvothe going "And that's it, that's how I hosed it up by being a stupid horny 19 year old idiot, okay, I hosed up and now we're all doomed. You got your loving story. Are you loving happy now?"

Kvothe puts a finger to the bridge of his nose, pushing where slipping frames used to be. He abandons what little tact he has remaining and begins shoveling fried potato wedges from a bowl on the bar top into his yawning abyss of a mouth.

"I don't understand," crunch, crunch, crunch, "I treated her like a Goddess Chronicler. A GODDESS."

Chronicler shifts uncomfortably. "You know, Kvothe, if I can be frank, there is actually a jousting tournament a day's travel from here I meant to cover."

"DON'T GO, I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO THE PART WHERE I-"

"Kvothe," Chronicler whispers, "don't make this harder than it has to be."

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

So in an effort to live a life on her own terms, free of sexual coercion, she lives a life on other people's terms filled with sexual coercion? Gotcha.

I think the impression is supposed to be that she's using all of her "boyfriends" for their money etc and then ditching them and moving on whenever she wants, instead of being a straight out prostitute, with the difference being the power dynamic

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Levitate posted:

I think the impression is supposed to be that she's using all of her "boyfriends" for their money etc and then ditching them and moving on whenever she wants, instead of being a straight out prostitute, with the difference being the power dynamic

Yes, except it's not just an impression. It's quite explicit. In NotW, Kvothe and one of the music bar's owners have a conversation about Denna, her lack of options, and how that forces her to move from place to place. In short, she has to go to a place if she catches wind of an opportunity, and she has to get out of town if a guy gets too pushy. Then we see her disentangle herself from overly pushy suitors a couple times. Then the conversation with the girl that Kvothe eavesdrops on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Yes, except it's not just an impression. It's quite explicit. In NotW, Kvothe and one of the music bar's owners have a conversation about Denna, her lack of options, and how that forces her to move from place to place. In short, she has to go to a place if she catches wind of an opportunity, and she has to get out of town if a guy gets too pushy. Then we see her disentangle herself from overly pushy suitors a couple times. Then the conversation with the girl that Kvothe eavesdrops on.

If you have to flee a city when you break up with someone, it turns out you did not have the power in the relationship. At best she is romanticizing what she is- an escort. I really don't see her as a very deep character and I think her motives,, of which there aren't many, are uninteresting.

In Patrick Rothfuss's world, if you're poor your only options are magician or prostitute.

• Locked thread