Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Michaellaneous posted:

Since I used VPNs fairly often a friend of mine suggested Viscosity and yep, it is a brilliant VPN program. Would not use anything else anymore.

https://www.sparklabs.com/viscosity/

I use the stock VPN, which works fine. Is there any way, either with a program like this, or by fiddling around in the network preferences UI, to tell OS X not to use the network until a VPN connection is established? I'm looking for something like "these are my home and office networks, anything else and don't do anything until the VPN is up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Mercurius posted:

You need to plug a USB drive that's large enough to have the ISO put onto it in first or the installer has nothing to make a bootable thing from. There should be another option above the 'Download the latest Windows support software from Apple' thing there about making a USB installer. Is your USB stick being detected in disk utility?

This is just a guess here, but maybe, just maybe, he has an internal optical drive, and Boot Camp Assistant won't do the ISO thing with that?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

kode54 posted:

This is just a guess here, but maybe, just maybe, he has an internal optical drive, and Boot Camp Assistant won't do the ISO thing with that?

DING DING DING

Kobayashi posted:

I use the stock VPN, which works fine. Is there any way, either with a program like this, or by fiddling around in the network preferences UI, to tell OS X not to use the network until a VPN connection is established? I'm looking for something like "these are my home and office networks, anything else and don't do anything until the VPN is up."

This is a stab in the dark but I swear I've heard people say ControlPlane can do poo poo like this.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

kode54 posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot those existed :downs:. I don't have any computers with those and haven't for years so I forget they're a thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yep; I've actually tried 2 different USB drives, a 16 & a 64gb. Both show up in Finder/Disk Utility, but I don't see any other options in the Boot Camp Assistant. I've tried restarting after plugging each one in just in case, too.

Do you have an integrated Smart Drive? If so, you can't use BootCamp to to create a bootable USB. (well, you can but you have to edit a plist file, Google will help you with that).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ambushsabre posted:

Unrelated to the question, but Sketch is a piece of goddamn amazing software.
Also unrelated to the original question, but he did ask about vector drawing, and another app is Affinity Designer.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kode54 posted:

Well, that explains why I don't have that option, it's a 2011 Macbook Pro. That's a stupid distinction to make.

flosofl posted:

Do you have an integrated Smart Drive? If so, you can't use BootCamp to to create a bootable USB. (well, you can but you have to edit a plist file, Google will help you with that).

I'll start googling for this. Thanks for the help!

Zelamir
Jun 25, 2005
Quick question - I've upgraded to Mavericks, and the new iWork suite. I need to use Keynote from iWork '09, but when I try to open in finder/the dock nothing happens - no bouncing icon or anything. The other '09 apps are not opening either. Please send help!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GobiasIndustries posted:

Well, that explains why I don't have that option, it's a 2011 Macbook Pro. That's a stupid distinction to make.

I'll start googling for this. Thanks for the help!

If I'm remembering this right, I had the same issue where apparently having a disc drive means flash drives don't exist for some reason??? anyway I was able to find the .app of a Bootcamp Assistant from a MacBook Air, and that ran fine. I don't think it had to be modified, either.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

carry on then posted:

If I'm remembering this right, I had the same issue where apparently having a disc drive means flash drives don't exist for some reason??? anyway I was able to find the .app of a Bootcamp Assistant from a MacBook Air, and that ran fine. I don't think it had to be modified, either.

Why would you need to make a sub install drive when you can just put a disc into the drive duh?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
History proves my advice correct.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The "sending iMessages from an email address" is really starting to annoy me. It happened to another one of my friends last night. Am I the only person that's seeing this behavior?

Also, now Photo Stream is starting to gently caress up. I have about 10 sporadic photos from my iPhone from the past few days that aren't getting pulled down by iPhoto. They show up on my iPad, so I know they've been uploaded. Clean install of Yosemite, new iPhone 6, ugh.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

Also, now Photo Stream is starting to gently caress up. I have about 10 sporadic photos from my iPhone from the past few days that aren't getting pulled down by iPhoto. They show up on my iPad, so I know they've been uploaded. Clean install of Yosemite, new iPhone 6, ugh.

I've seen this for the first time today too. Four photos I took last night (in one "session") aren't showing up in iPhoto, but photos from before and after that have synced fine. Maybe a temporary glitch with iCloud? I don't have photostream enabled on my iPad so can't see if they're syncing there, but I'm also on Yosemite on the Mac side.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Froist posted:

I've seen this for the first time today too. Four photos I took last night (in one "session") aren't showing up in iPhoto, but photos from before and after that have synced fine. Maybe a temporary glitch with iCloud? I don't have photostream enabled on my iPad so can't see if they're syncing there, but I'm also on Yosemite on the Mac side.

FWIW I disabled and re-enabled Photo Stream from the iCloud panel in Preferences and that pulled down the missing photos. It remains to be seen if that fixed the photos getting dropped in the first place, though.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

10.10.1 just dropped, number one item on the list is wi-fi reliability.

EDIT: 300 MB update

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 17, 2014

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does Virtual Box work with Yosemite? I like Parallels, but I don't use it often enough to justify the upgrade cost.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

As a host or a guest? I can't speak to the guest use but I don't see a reason why you should have any issues running it on a Yosemite host.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

carry on then posted:

As a host or a guest? I can't speak to the guest use but I don't see a reason why you should have any issues running it on a Yosemite host.

As a host, I think. I just found out I need to use the Android SDK for some stuff that is tangentially related to my job and I don't want that poo poo all over my system. I figured I could throw it in a VM instead.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

1st AD posted:

What are the best paid HFS file recovery tools? One of my assistants formatted the wrong drive :doh: ; I immediately stopped him from doing any other file operations on it and I ran a deep scan using Disk Drill and it recovered a large portion of the files on the drive, but there's a number of Quicktime Prores files stored on sparse disk images that didn't ever make it and I'm kind of pissed now. Oddly enough, I have a bunch of MTS and MP4 files from the same sparse images that came through just fine, I'm just missing a specific set of Prores videos.

Since no one responded to you I'll go right ahead.

We use VirtualLab Data Recovery for both Windows (NTFS) and OS X (HFS) data recovery. Works pretty well, I have no complaints. I use it combined with SpinRite for small-scale data recovery and have had good success.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

As a host, I think. I just found out I need to use the Android SDK for some stuff that is tangentially related to my job and I don't want that poo poo all over my system. I figured I could throw it in a VM instead.

I would reconsider the VM option there. You can put the Android SDK AND NDK in a single folder just fine vs the speed lost and tens of gigabytes a VM would entail.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
I upgraded to Yosemite and it didn't break anything which is actually very surprising to me, but anyway, now when I lock my computer & log back in it does all this poo poo. Repositions/resizes my browser windows, switches back and forth between spaces a couple times, looks like it reloads all the web pages... why? Can I turn this off? It shoves Chrome all the way to the right side of the screen, about 200px wide and like 1000px tall.

Hey! fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 18, 2014

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN

Kobayashi posted:

How does Virtual Box work with Yosemite? I like Parallels, but I don't use it often enough to justify the upgrade cost.
I just upgraded and all my Vagrant/VirtualBox stuff works with no issue. I just checked, it's VirtualBox 4.3.18 FYI.

Edit: So, this is awesome. VirtualBox works fine but it looks like I need to "vagrant up" every single god drat time I log into my computer after locking it now. IE, your VM gets suspended if you lock your computer for a minute. (All the code I write runs on a VM.) Fuuuuuuuuck :toot:

Hey! fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 18, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hey! posted:

I upgraded to Yosemite and it didn't break anything which is actually very surprising to me, but anyway, now when I lock my computer & log back in it does all this poo poo. Repositions/resizes my browser windows, switches back and forth between spaces a couple times, looks like it reloads all the web pages... why? Can I turn this off? It shoves Chrome all the way to the right side of the screen, about 200px wide and like 1000px tall.
Have you got something like Moom or DisplayMaid installed? I have Moom and I know mine does that when I log in and the resolution changes because I turned the option on to load my custom window positions when resolution matches something.

Hey! posted:

I just upgraded and all my Vagrant/VirtualBox stuff works with no issue. I just checked, it's VirtualBox 4.3.18 FYI.

Edit: So, this is awesome. VirtualBox works fine but it looks like I need to "vagrant up" every single god drat time I log into my computer after locking it now. IE, your VM gets suspended if you lock your computer for a minute. (All the code I write runs on a VM.) Fuuuuuuuuck :toot:
Lock's supposed to just turn of the screen, not put the computer to sleep. Check Energy Saver and make sure everything's set correctly?

From my experience in one of our student labs at work, VirtualBox does some weird poo poo with permissions on some of its files when you log off. I haven't used Vagrant but I wonder if it's more VirtualBox being special. Are there any newer versions of VirtualBox available?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hmm, 10.10.1 seems to have fixed an issue with Remote Desktop 3.7.2 staying forever in the update list.

I'm still gonna apply the combo update when it's released.

BTW, if you activated two-step verification on your Apple ID, you're gonna need to have your phone online to get the verification code, it's the first thing Yosemite asks for after the update.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 18, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I'm still gonna apply the combo update when it's released.
Er, do they usually do a combo for 10.x.1 release? Why would it be any different from a delta?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, if you activated two-step verification on your Apple ID, you're gonna need to have your phone online to get the verification code, it's the first thing Yosemite asks for after the update.
Weird, I have two-factor and it didn't hit me for a re-auth.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nor me on two computers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of two factor, does it apply to the store at all or is it just for iCloud stuff? I signed into a new machine recently to download some (already purchased) stuff and didn't run into the prompt at all.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It did for me AND asked me if I wanted FileVault. The default was 'Okay, make my life miserable with FileVault.'

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

It did for me AND asked me if I wanted FileVault. The default was 'Okay, make my life miserable with FileVault.'

I'm confused what is so bad about FileVault since v2?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

My imac required two factor auth but my rMBP didn't. They are set up mostly identically as well :/

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

spoon daddy posted:

I'm confused what is so bad about FileVault since v2?

Would also like to know. I've never had any trouble with it, but then again, I've also been using SSD-based Macs exclusively for the past few years so maybe that makes a difference.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think people just have scars from it. I went with FileVault as Yosemite suggested and it has been pretty needs suiting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Remember that FileVault now is not the same as it was in its first incarnation, now it's full disk transparent encryption like BitLocker. I enabled it since it froze up when I tried to do it while setting the laptop up in the first place, and it seems to work fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

I think people just have scars from it. I went with FileVault as Yosemite suggested and it has been pretty needs suiting.

I got scars as in a user lost all of their data (because they forgot the master password) and told everyone how much it sucks.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

I got scars as in a user lost all of their data (because they forgot the master password) and told everyone how much it sucks.

Isn't that rather the point?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Whenever anyone gets a mac through us, we mandate FileVault but keep a copy of the recovery key because it's not their personal laptop.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Binary Badger posted:

Okay... we all agreed that the guy who posted how bad Apple is for taking longer on his repair while he doesn't have any backup and therefore no access to his data is an idiot, yet every single time FileVault is mentioned, it's somehow "ooh bad" for no given reasons and now the reasons are exactly the reasons that aren't valid for the other guy - got it.

Kobayashi posted:

Isn't that rather the point?

No, it should have super tight security but also "123456" as a password of last resort.

I really think there is no problem with the tool itself, just with people not taking 2 minutes to try and understand it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 19, 2014

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Anybody else find the UI in 10.10.1 much snappier, especially Safari. Just the entire experience seems more fluid and the animations seem smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Wiki has the complaints against legacy filevault listed and they're more than that. One person making a short statement doesn't represent the argument as a whole.

I misread the beginning of the conversation and am a jackass, ignore this.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 19, 2014