Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Casu Marzu posted:

Supper clubs are so depressing

On Thanksgiving, yes.

oh oh, he should go to that one that has big slabs of battered and deep fried turkey lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I get to eat Thanksgiving at 11:30am at a supper club because fuckin lol at feeding my 200 in laws anywhere else. Grandpa in law probably won't make it until next Thanksgiving, so it's kind of sad since I like him, but holy poo poo some of my in laws are terrible. Yes, please tell me more about all the good Scott Walker has done for our state while I saw my fingers off one by one with a butter knife and try really hard not to tell you how fuckin worthless your kids are at the company.

Thank god my immediate in laws are great, because holy fuckkkkkkkkkk

What's a supper club? Wikipedia basically just compares it to a restaurant that you can spend the whole night in. Is it just mid-Western speak for "Bar & Grill?"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, what's a supper club? Is it like when you go drink at the vets club/hall thing with your crazy grandpa? Cuz that sounds rad.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Supper clubs started out as speakeasy type places, where you'd go to have dinner, drinks, and entertainment all in one place. Now, you generally just go there to have dinner and drinks. Most supper clubs have been around for decades. They generally serve steaks, seafood, iceburg salads, relish trays, etc. Also lots of brandy old fashioneds and (now retro) drinks like grasshoppers and pink squirrels for after dinner.

They are fun and an experience, even if the food is sometimes only meh. Generally they are numerous in rural areas because there isn't much else to do, which also makes them pretty inexpensive compared to a steakhouse in the city.

They are An Institution in Wisconsin.

edit: These photos of a supper club and the employees are typical: http://www.millsupperclub.com/page_photos_mill.html
Note that their menu and prices are more up to date than most place, since it's in Door County and they're taking full advantage of all the rich FIBs :)

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 18, 2014

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
In the UK a supper club is when a private individual hosts a paid dinner for people. Often done by food bloggers, keen amateur cooks, chefs between jobs, etc.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Supper clubs are places where old people pay $30 for a steak on a sizzle platter with a sprig of curly parsley, a baked potato, and unlimited trips to her salad bar.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Supper clubs are places where old people pay $30 for a steak on a sizzle platter with a sprig of curly parsley, a baked potato, and unlimited trips to her salad bar.

man, sometimes you just want a slab of beast on a sizzling platter. :colbert:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Hahaha, it's not a great supper club, but it's not the worst. It's where the family always goes when everyone is gonna be there, like our wedding reception. My consolation prize for not getting my momma's turkey and stuffing (with pecans and sausage) and giblet gravy and green beans with almonds and mashed potatoes and canned cranberry sauce (gently caress you I love this poo poo) is tickets to the Pats game, I guess.

I will say that any supper club that doesn't give you a relish tray when you sit down at your table is a bullshit supper club that sucks and has no right to call itself a supper club.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

So much chicken. Swear to god if there's any left I'm eating it for breakfast.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would totally go have a great time at a hilarious old school carvery.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

man, sometimes you just want a slab of beast on a sizzling platter. :colbert:

yeah, but sizzler is like 14 bux

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Hey man, some of the best prime rib I've ever had was at a supper club in the middle of fuckin nowhere.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Man, I haven't had prime rib in ages. Might have to take a trip down to Glarner Stube for some new glarus beer and prime rib soon.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 19, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Good prime rib with good horseradish is just one of those hood things.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I honestly had no idea supper clubs existed. I really thought I knew what they were, but I always figured 'supper club' meant 'group of people who throw dinner parties'.

:(

the real deal sounds immensely sad.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

mindphlux posted:

I honestly had no idea supper clubs existed. I really thought I knew what they were, but I always figured 'supper club' meant 'group of people who throw dinner parties'.

:(

the real deal sounds immensely sad.

They're not. I like them. There's definitely nothing wrong with having a leisurely meal with drinks at a place that's been around since 1930. Some have better food than others, but that's any restaurant.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Crusty Nutsack posted:

They're not. I like them. There's definitely nothing wrong with having a leisurely meal with drinks at a place that's been around since 1930. Some have better food than others, but that's any restaurant.

I probably don't have a full understanding of what they're like. I'm picturing a prix fixe Golden Corral.

edit : also I don't know how widespread Golden Corral's are outside of the southeast US, so I'm not sure if that's at all helpful.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 19, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
here's some informational text for your edification

quote:

The Golden Corral Brand Story

Golden Corral’s first 175-seat, 4,800-square-foot family steakhouse first opened in Fayetteville, NC, in 1973. The chain grew steadily during the next decade, principally in smaller cities from Virginia to Texas, offering our guests wholesome foods in a family-friendly atmosphere at a great value.

In the mid-1980s, guests’ requests for additional entrees and expanded salad bar prompted Golden Corral to “reinvent” itself by introducing a 400+ seat,11,000+ square-foot “Buffet & Grill” building design, with food preparation performed in full view of the dining area to emphasize product freshness and quality.

The focal point was the Golden Choice Buffet® which featured 160 hot and cold items; a carving station for roast beef, roast pork, ham, sausage and turkey; plus The Brass Bell Bakery® and Dessert Café along with its selection of homemade yeast rolls, muffins, cookies, pies, and cakes.

Nearly 40 years later, Golden Corral® is well known as America's #1 buffet and grill with over 500 restaurants open in 41 states.
#1 Ranking

Entrepreneur magazine named Golden Corral the #1 franchisor in the U.S. among family steakhouses in 2014 for the 17th year. Nation's Restaurant News ranked Golden Corral #1 in the grill-buffet segment for the 14th year. Restaurants & Institutions ranked Golden Corral #1 in Consumers' Choice in Cafeteria/Buffet Chains.
Today’s Endless Buffet

Along with home-style buffet favorites such as pot roast, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and steamed vegetables, today’s endless Golden Corral buffet experience offers guests a wide variety of ethnic tastes and flavors that include Asian, Hispanic, and Italian influences. Fresh—never frozen—USDA Sirloin steak maintains top billing as Golden Corral’s signature dinner product and is now flame-broiled and served in 5 oz. filets. As a complement to its excellent hot buffet food products, each Golden Corral features a market-fresh salad bar where guests may build their own salads from dozens of ingredients.

Our bakery and dessert buffet are filled with freshly baked breads, like our famous yeast rolls, homemade cakes and pies, delicious cookies, brownies, pastries, and ice cream.

On weekend mornings, Golden Corral invites guests to rise and shine for its legendary, endless breakfast buffet, which features cooked-to-order eggs and omelets, hand-cut bacon, freshly-ground sausage, buttermilk pancakes, crispy waffles, homemade cinnamon rolls, fresh-cut fruit, and a variety of juices.

From a development perspective, Golden Corral’s test kitchen team produces “best in class” results and has some 30 new food items are undergoing consumer evaluation in restaurants at all times. New recipes emphasize bolder flavors, ethnic tastes and unique new products that highlight the freshness and scratch-made quality of Golden Corral offerings.

Our commitment to our guests doesn't stop with our food. We believe in providing outstanding hospitality too. Being the best in class is what we are all about... and that is a direct tribute to all the men and women who work here, who strive each day to deliver a pleasurable dining experience for families across America.

To see how our values extend to the community at large, please visit our community involvement page. To date, Golden Corral restaurants have provided over 4 million free meals for active duty and retired veterans and contributed over $8.7 million to the Disabled American Veterans organization during our annual Military Appreciation Monday event. All Golden Corral restaurants nationwide participate in this event to honor our military heroes, past and present.

Our vision remains to be the leader in the family restaurant segment by making pleasurable dining affordable for every guest, at every restaurant, every day.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

^^^^ I know what Golden Corral is and it is an abomination lol

mindphlux posted:

I probably don't have a full understanding of what they're like. I'm picturing a prix fixe Golden Corral.

edit : also I don't know how widespread Golden Corral's are outside of the southeast US, so I'm not sure if that's at all helpful.

Naw, they're not like that. At least not the ones I've been to. They're not just for old people anymore, for one. And I haven't been to one with a salad bar, either, since you normally get a salad and a relish tray anyway. A lot of these places have been owned by the same family for a few generations, and people have fierce loyalty to particular ones. Many of them butcher their own steaks. No, they're not trendy, but they've been around for a long time and there's a definite supper club culture in Wisconsin. In Milwaukee, there's even a local (good) restaurant empire opening up new supper clubs that serve things like beef wellington and steak diane, because people are once again interested in going to supper clubs.

Anyway, here's an article about them: http://www.wisconsintrails.com/food/Wisconsins-supper-club-culture-149711565.html

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Dane posted:

It's a damned shame that Puglisi is so bad on tv, he's extremely knowledgeable, charming and funny, and his food is just loving aMAAAYYYYYYYYzing.

I was thinking of visiting Copenhagen (for the first time) for a few days after Christmas, and looks like a reservation at Relae is possible. Terrible idea? Will anything be open in the city or does it close up that time of year? Thinking Monday 29th - Friday 2nd.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I loves me a good relish tray! In my mind they are the saving grace of a decent Supper Club.

There is an interesting depiction of a Nebraska Supper Club in "About Schmidt". After he retires, he is sitting in one with the other old farts eating prime rib, and thinking to himself, "This is it?".

I generally don't like completely depressing movies, but I love that one. Some great actors.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Casu Marzu posted:

Man, I haven't had prime rib in ages. Might have to take a trip down to Glarner Stube for some new glarus beer and prime rib soon.

We should meet up down there. Have you ever eaten at the hotel? We've only gone once and ate at Glarner Stube after hitting up the brewery.

mindphlux posted:

Not at all. The main one I've gone to a million times basically gives you a selection of entrees and you get a relish tray for the table, a dinner roll, a salad, and a side of potatoes (baked, mashed, lyonnaise [pronounced lion-eyes]) to go with it. Most of the people that go to them are regulars, at least in small towns, so you get there and sit at the bar and bullshit with everyone until a table opens up.

eta: All the food is cooked to order, just like a regular restaurant. Sometimes there are buffets for like brunch or whatever, but that's definitely not the norm in my experience.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mindphlux posted:

this is clearly a joke or an onion video or something

right? :(

I wish. I wrote to them on twitter, and a) they are really doing it and b) they're really that pretentious.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

A Dumbass on Yelp posted:

FYI 5 stars on yelp means "As good as it gets", so all i can say is really people?

Please go buy domino's or papa john's to broaden your palete before you review with people who know what pizza is suppose to taste like.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One time I went to this Friday night fish fry at a smoky American Legion in Detroit and it was incredible. Not the food, which was decidedly mediocre, but the experience itself. I'd never seen anything like it. After everyone ate they opened up the floor for square dancing. This one kid who looked around 18-19 proudly wearing his cowboy hat was the toast of the evening and every sextagenarian and septugenarian wanted to dance with him. Strong, cheap drinks too.

Would fish fry again.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Michigan fish fries rule, truth.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm gonna be so sad if I ever move away from the upper midwest cuz I love me some fish fry every Friday.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

We should meet up down there. Have you ever eaten at the hotel? We've only gone once and ate at Glarner Stube after hitting up the brewery.

Yeah dude, I'm down. I haven't eaten at the hotel ever. Is it worth a stop from what you hear? Looks like it's under new ownership soon.

And as much poo poo as I talk about super clubs, I've enjoyed the good ones I've been to. I just don't have any decent ones nearby.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 19, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GWS General Chat: Wisconsin goon meetup? youbetcha

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Really wish I would have bought some of the super-hot horseradish that the traveling meat salesman guy was slingin' at the bar the other night.

Anyone from Illinois/Ohio/Michigan/Indiana/Wisconsin familiar with GI Joe?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah dude, I'm down. I haven't eaten at the hotel ever. Is it worth a stop from what you hear? Looks like it's under new ownership soon.

And as much poo poo as I talk about super clubs, I've enjoyed the good ones I've been to. I just don't have any decent ones nearby.

I'm in.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Casu Marzu posted:

My husband read something about it being badass awesome. I'll double check about where he heard it. Didn't know it was changing ownership, though.

GrAviTy84 posted:

GWS General Chat: Wisconsin goon meetup? youbetcha

gently caress you, this isn't Minnesota.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I don't cook steaks much, but the way I learned was basically butter/olive oil in a really goddamn hot cast iron pan for searing, and then finishing in the oven. The amount of smoke is understandable ridiculous with the low smoke points of those items. Is there any reason I can't use ghee / peanut oil instead to avoid this?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nuru posted:

I don't cook steaks much, but the way I learned was basically butter/olive oil in a really goddamn hot cast iron pan for searing, and then finishing in the oven. The amount of smoke is understandable ridiculous with the low smoke points of those items. Is there any reason I can't use ghee / peanut oil instead to avoid this?

it'll still smoke profusely. But there is no reason why not.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Well, follow up: Is there a better way to do this or do people just accept that there will be a ton of smoke briefly?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Olive oil is a terrible choice for that. It gets bitter as hell.

Do it in a dry pan. You will still get smoke, but not the acrid taste of oil that's been smoked. And yes, it will stick initially but will free itself once the proteins are nicely cooked.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nuru posted:

Well, follow up: Is there a better way to do this or do people just accept that there will be a ton of smoke briefly?

you're cooking a thing on a hot as poo poo piece of metal. Any thing that would reduce the amount of smoke will in turn reduce the heat which defeats the point

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

A less smoky way would be to sous vide the steak to your desired temp then sear it quickly on both sides. You'll still get smoke, just not as much because it won't be as prolonged.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Gotcha. Next time I get around to it I'll just do a normal salt/pepper rub and try it dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dry is the best way.