Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Anyone's region throw a halfway party? Mine did, but lovely weather kept me from it.

Also, this has been helping me catch up more than it really should: https://twitter.com/NaNoWordSprints

Mine region is doing a halfway party, but it's kind of silly because it's right after the 24 hour write-in.

I finally managed to catch up at the twilight hour of the write-in. I'm even set for words today.

Now it's time to pass out, because I'm not sure the last 24 hours happened. There were some surreal as gently caress conversations that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I keep hopping. 2000 words. 3000 words. But then I miss a day and mess up.
I know I said consistency trumps intensity (wait did I say that here or somewhere else?), but I just can't keep it consistant.

Even though I'm hitting roughly 2,000 words a day, I'm still behind standing now at ~24,500.

Things just got interesting in the story. Scar Whisper has just discovered that, even tho she can't stop the death of an ambassador, finding the killer maybe the only way to stop a war. Then she was caught by the City Guards.

:woop: Suspense! :woop:

Man, I hope I finish this in time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grimwit posted:

I keep hopping. 2000 words. 3000 words. But then I miss a day and mess up.
I know I said consistency trumps intensity (wait did I say that here or somewhere else?), but I just can't keep it consistant.

Even though I'm hitting roughly 2,000 words a day, I'm still behind standing now at ~24,500.

Things just got interesting in the story. Scar Whisper has just discovered that, even tho she can't stop the death of an ambassador, finding the killer maybe the only way to stop a war. Then she was caught by the City Guards.

:woop: Suspense! :woop:

Man, I hope I finish this in time.

I like the meta-story around the suspense thriller. Your heroine can only beat the clock if you do!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got to 28,178 today.

Main character showed off a voodoo trick with unaged bourbon that I learned over the summer on a distillery tour. Then he got brought in as a weapons designer for the military. Finally, he's on his way to becoming a mass murderer!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

quote:

Johnathan Steam looked at his watch. "Well," he said, "look at the time."

"Wow," said his partner Hitler, "FYAD really don't realise when they're being made fun of and now they're all mad because they didn't get the joke the first time."

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
how many words do you have to write to succeed at nanowrimo. i'd like to participate but i'm really slow and the month is half over

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

50,000? are you making GBS threads into my rear end in a top hat

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

quite the fucker posted:

50,000? are you making GBS threads into my rear end in a top hat

3500 / day. Not impossible.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Doable if you've got the drive and you don't gently caress yourself by going back and editing. Editing during nano is like flinging your own poo poo.

You don't even need a good idea (though it helps).

I'm catching up. Only 3.5k behind where I should be, now. Had a good Saturday spree in which I wrapped up a main character crying all the way home after being conned into thinking she caught leprosy. Now writing a winter survival/escape section that will more or less end the book. Next I'll be going back and filling out the last plotty third of the book, which I think will carry me near the end of nano.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

50,000 is about how many consequential words i plan to write in my entire life

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

quite the fucker posted:

50,000 is about how many consequential words i plan to write in my entire life

Your confusion about the amount of words for NaNo is somewhat strange. How many words did you think a novel was? 50k is even a very short novel.

e:
Just do it yourself and say you'll finish on the 17th next month or whatever. Or give yourself two months. It's the spirit of the thing, really.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

itt we learn who doesn't know how to click the post history button

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Remora posted:

itt we learn who doesn't know how to click the post history button

Admitting to clicking it is like breaking fight club rules.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

i am a troll but i'm not currently trolling. i didn't know nanowrimo had a length requirement last year so i just wrote The Eternal Recurrence of Babys Mange which was only about 15k words

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm sitting at 31k and some change right now. But I'm burnt-out, like serious don't want to even LOOK at my Alphasmart burnt out. I think it's because I haven't been able to read: I've discovered I can't concentrate on books at all when I'm doing this, and seventeen days without reading is a lot longer than I've gone in years w/out reading. I want to take a day off but I'm worried I'll lose my momentum - and at the same time I'm looking at 18k and some change left and thinking "I could knock this out in three or four days if I go super-hard with it."

I just wanna finish so I can get this fucker out of my head and relax a little.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quite the fucker posted:

i am a troll but i'm not currently trolling. i didn't know nanowrimo had a length requirement last year so i just wrote The Eternal Recurrence of Babys Mange which was only about 15k words

Was it its own sequel.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
32k at the moment. Currently anything else is just gravy because I have finally finished the draft of a novel that has been driving me loving mental since the end of July. :toot:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Anais Nun posted:

32k at the moment. Currently anything else is just gravy because I have finally finished the draft of a novel that has been driving me loving mental since the end of July. :toot:

Congratulations!

I feel like I'm getting closer to that point, too. It's good, but I still feel a little trepidation when I look very far forward.

edited because wow, words are hard.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 19, 2014

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

RedTonic posted:

Congratulations!

I feel like I'm getting closer to that point, too. It's good, but I still feeling a little trepidation when I look very far forward.

Finishing is always the hardest part. Never gets easier for some reason. Stare down the fear and finish the fucker.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yesterday, I only got a little over 500 words written. Today, I banged out over 2,000 to get to 30,856. Things are picking up! The brain trust has been assembled, the brain trust decided on a weapon, and now the brain trust is boiling bone fragments in a big vat of stale horse piss.

This is the section I'm nervous about though. The early sections and the end have some very vivid mental images that helped me get them written, but this middle part is a lot more vague. Also there's a lot of chemistry and even rocket science and I'm not very good at either. I've started doing more research on some stuff and copying the text into Evernote instead of keeping the links to resist the temptation of googling from now till Nov. 30. Anything not covered in my notes gets a notation to look into it later, so that's my biggest pitfall out of the way.

My other big problem is a detail that I'm waffling on. One of the races is white (not caucasian, but white-white), and I keep bouncing around on whether it's their actual skin color, or cosmetics and culture (short version of their creation myth is that they were carved from the bones of dead giants). Everything else is fairly realistic, so I'm leaning towards cosmetics (especially because a comparative anatomy discussion that occurs in one scene has that race's innards being identical to a human's), but I dunno. it's not vital to the story, so that might be another thing to let go for the month.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

I wrote 5k today. And 5k Saturday into Sunday.

Which put me at 50,575.

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

This makes 10 years straight of wins!

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

I have 14,532 words, which is really 9,532 since I started with 5,000.

I suck, basically is what I'm saying.

Here's to another year! :smithicide:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I haven't read much of the thread yet but I wanted to say hi. I'm participating this year and was doing pretty well (I'm at ~ 26500 words currently), but life has interfered in the past few days and I'm in danger of losing motivation. The first page of this thread has renewed my determination, so thanks, goons!

Edit: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/maugrimmau

I'm writing a continuation of a Guild Wars fanfic that I wrote four chapters of a few years ago. It will likely never be seen by anyone except a few close friends. This whole thing is purely for practice and to prove to myself that I can do it. I'm normally one of those people who starts projects and then gets distracted and never finishes them.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 19, 2014

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Liam Emsa posted:

You did better than me. I got to 2,909. I realized I was drawing perhaps too much from my own memories, and that I really need to fictionalize this better. I'll definitely keep this on a back burner and think about how I'll do that. But in the mean time, considering how many down days I've had, and my growing lack of interest, I think it's better to just let this go. I'll probably be doing something like Nanowrimo as a sort of "make up" in January or February too, most likely with a different story that I actually do pre-planning for. I already came up with one idea that's promising.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
My story is starting to really lose steam, but I'm going to stick it out. I've been sitting on 26k since Sunday, so might as well finish.

On the plus side, the interludes between chapters have been hinting at another, entirely separate story that's got my interest, so I have something to write about after I stuff this year's nano project into a dark closet where I won't see it for a few years.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Nethilia posted:

Which put me at 50,575.

Congrats! :toot:

I'm a little behind (for my timezone) at around 30,000 words. My only trouble so far is with descriptions and building my settings. I have a habit of writing very bare-boned scenes, so I've already breezed through most of my story and am heading towards the climax with 20,000 words to spare :v: I guess I'll have to go back at some point and start fleshing things out, while also resisting the temptation to edit :sigh:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Nethilia posted:

Which put me at 50,575.

drat, that's awesome! Do you write for your day job too, or are you just quite disciplined?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think if I just give up on the original story and write down the poo poo that's actually happening in my life on a day to day basis this month, (1) I'd blow 50K out in no time, (2) I'd have the best Lifetime Channel #firstworldproblems miniseries ever.

(11K words. I sit down to write and give no shits to anything in the story. Can't even get interested in it. On the plus side, I've been to AA every single day since 11/7.)

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

I'm only a little behind now, but I've run into a wall.

I really want to see how this story ends, but have you ever hit those points where you're like "What's even the point anymore?" Just over 27,000 and I'm riding the dead horse of my motivation. I know what's going to happen next, but a sense of guilt over takes me thinking that I'm just wasting time.

Meaning.

Ugh.

Hoping my stubbornness will hold out. Still want to win, just don't know why.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I was kind of struggling at the weekend/the start of this week until my main character and I both had epiphanies (his leading to mine, I think) and then I knew where to take my story and was looking forward to writing it. This morning I wrote 1000 words in an hour :eyepop:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
so, for nanowrimo this year, i'm doing something a little, uh...different, a little more....shall we say...sensual

my dark fantasy novel just isn't coming together in a way that makes sense to me and i can't even bring myself to cheat again this year by picking up where i left off, so i'm turning to my other passion: spoken erotic poetry.

that's right, this year my nanowrimo entry is an audio book composed entirely of eroticism, and i'm already at least two "pages" in. this is a big step for me, both as a professional writer of eroticism and just speaking out loud using my voice, and the first poem one is interior semiotics 2 and i think it just might make a "splash" :yaycloud:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I really hit trouble in Week 2, but I'm on a roll now. Part of it is that I won't let myself play video games until I have a decent chunk of work done.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Grimwit posted:

I'm only a little behind now, but I've run into a wall.

I think this is a lovely trick our brains play on us combined with an equally lovely view of art that our cultures tend to imbue us with.

Writing anything of length is a feat of endurance. The real struggle isn't always in planning out the steps or finding inspiration. It's in sitting down over and over until you have everything out of your head into some collected medium (be it the page, the screen, audio, whatev).

The second low blow is that most people don't see writing or any form of art as "work." They see it as leisure, something which should be fun and rather easy. The stretch between the believed and the real is hard to cross, and at least for me, that distance does not always stay crossed. Sometimes those boundaries shift.

Even making something bad can be a poo poo load of work. That work has value.

You are more than halfway through making something that most people will never attempt. There are plenty of assholes out there who say they've been working on a novel for the last ten years, but you ask to see copy and they tell you it's all in their heads. What you have is different. You have a lot of work done, even if you don't like it right now. Plow forward.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
RedTonic speaks the truth.

Nethilia posted:

Which put me at 50,575.

Congrats! :toot:

My wordcount is abysmal, but at least I'm still writing (almost) every day.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

RedTonic posted:

What you have is different. You have a lot of work done, even if you don't like it right now. Plow forward.

Thanks for the extra pep, man. My wife helped, too.
I guess sometimes I need a push. I just put on Rainymood.com and the soundtrack to Alice- Madness returns, and am gonna sprint for the rest of the night.

One thing I realized is I'm coming to the climax too early. My wife said, just add a novella at the end or something, so we'll see what happens.

Heaven or Hell, let's rock.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm having the same problem as most other folks in the thread. It's just been busy as gently caress and I've been getting home from work, watching youtube videos while tiredly eating something, then going to bed. I'm at 21 thousand words or so this month, which is great.

Means I'm at 80 thousand words total. I'm even coming up on the climax, where everyone learns not to gently caress with the protagonist. But getting going has been rough.

Still, I made some good progress and am gonna try to work on it some more tonight... After I work on something else that's actually time-critical. :negative:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I just used the words "meticulous mastication." Woooo!

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Liam Emsa posted:

If the word count looks too much, maybe just make it a point to write every day for the rest of november.

So you don't hit 50k. 35k is still a mountain of words. Keep going.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I'm in a similar boat though. I spent the last 3 days throwing up so I'm a bit behind too.

I'll keep going if you keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Zip posted:

I'll keep going if you keep going.

To writing! :words:

• Locked thread