Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well you can fix it that after you draw you flip a land, but to do so nothing is dropped in the yard, since you would need to put the other card on the land and draw it. It's not a nonbo and let's you get what you want at the time, and gets some card advantage by putting land in the right places, you just can't load the yard at the same time.

When flipping 2 spells, you can ditch one of them for delve and a shot at flipping a land. If you flip 2 lands, just toss them both if you don't need them. Also courser probably won't be out all that often, but having either will smooth your draws.

Another tactic to deploy when both are out are being able to see 5 cards (can't draw the 5th naturally) off the top if you really need to, with a fetch available.

E: you could do the same thing if you replace fetch with dig through time using thr cards you just ditched.

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I missed the bathroom puns? Aw poop.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I have been playing a version of sidisi whip in standard but I need sylvan caryatids and coursers. Anyone going to the San Antonio GP that I can borrow them from? I don't mind letting someone hold one to cards of equal value as collateral.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 19, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

SGDoc is doing Brewsday Tuesday, this week it's Grixis Control!

Edit: Nevermind we're revoting :sigh:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 19, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The problem with Sultai Ascendancy is that it doesn't do anything.

Courser already reads "flip a coin every turn. If you win the flip, draw a card." As it turns out, that's good enough!

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I Love You! posted:

It definitely doesn't affect the board at all, but it basically says, "At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 2". It's ok, it's just probably not worth a whole card.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
There's also the clause of running more delve spells, because of it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I Love You! posted:

No, it does nothing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If Control was as well represented as in the last block, Sultai Ascendancy would give you serious inevitability in the mirror because you're both running land-heavier decks but you're drawing more live cards AND making Dig Through Time cheaper so you can more easily play it with counter backup. It's seriously a strong effect. You just don't have time to be playing long-game inevitability cards that have no effect on board status right now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

No, it does nothing.

No, it doesn't do anything. Null Rod does nothing because it actively prevents something.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Sultai Ascendancy has done quite well in the sealed and draft events I've used it in or seen it used in, especially if you've got the delve to back it up (hell, it contributed to several of my wins at the PTQ Sunday). Part of me wants to play it in standard, but there's just too much competing for your third turn plus your mana draws need to be right on. I think it's a fairly powerful card but I do agree with Nehru that it's just not that great in these particular blocks.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Reene posted:

Sultai Ascendancy has done quite well in the sealed and draft events I've used it in or seen it used in, especially if you've got the delve to back it up (hell, it contributed to several of my wins at the PTQ Sunday). Part of me wants to play it in standard, but there's just too much competing for your third turn plus your mana draws need to be right on. I think it's a fairly powerful card but I do agree with Nehru that it's just not that great in these particular blocks.

Sultai Ascendancy is just too small of a play on turn three when you can go Mystic => Courser, or Caryatid => Sidisi
Right now, any non-aggro green deck should be running at least some parts of the Holy Trinity...

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If Control was as well represented as in the last block, Sultai Ascendancy would give you serious inevitability in the mirror because you're both running land-heavier decks but you're drawing more live cards AND making Dig Through Time cheaper so you can more easily play it with counter backup. It's seriously a strong effect. You just don't have time to be playing long-game inevitability cards that have no effect on board status right now.

Yeah it seems like it's at least a decent sideboard option in Sultai decks to bring in for the mirror/UB control/other slower matchups where the tempo loss doesn't matter as much and the inevitability boost is a nice trump.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

It definitely doesn't affect the board at all, but it basically says, "At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 2". It's ok, it's just probably not worth a whole card.
Worth pointing out that the most dangerous part of Thassa was likely the scry 1 every upkeep.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Worth pointing out that the most dangerous part of Thassa was likely the scry 1 every upkeep.

It was a very good part, but would she have even been run in monoblue if she wasnt also a conditional 5/5?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
What time does the cube go up today on MTGO?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

inSTAALed posted:

Not soon enough. I'm traveling today and won't be able to play until tomorrow anyway ffffffff

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Does MTGO still suck? I haven't played on MTGO for almost a year.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

You already know the answer in your heart.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

Yes. If you were playing the last version, it's arguably even worse now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

Someone should set up doesMTGOstillsuck.com. As I understand, the answer remains yes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Someone should set up doesMTGOstillsuck.com. As I understand, the answer remains yes.

But those websites are helpful in telling me information I don't already know?

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Welp. Consensus reached. Conclusion; stay the gently caress away from MTGO.

Cheers guys

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

Welp. Consensus reached. Conclusion; stay the gently caress away from MTGO.

Cheers guys

I still play pretty much exclusively on MTGO, so I'm not going to say stay away from it, but I'm not going to sugar coat it: it sucks to use and it's a big piece of poo poo. The good news is it seems to be slowly but steadily improving ever since they took the old client offline.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

It's totally worth noting that there are some people who experience zero issues and can draft literally all day with the only inconvenience being opponents who take way too long to do anything.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Honestly the problem I've run into most often is having opponents who time out or get disconnected.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

meanolmrcloud posted:

It's totally worth noting that there are some people who experience zero issues and can draft literally all day with the only inconvenience being opponents who take way too long to do anything.

I'm one of those people.

My only real beef is how clunky the entire thing feels, honestly.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This is me. MTGO is fine imho and accomplishes the task it's set out to acceptably: allowing me to 2-1 swiss drafts when I want to.

I should probably start doing this instead of getting mad when I 0-2 round 1 in the 8-4s.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 19, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

meanolmrcloud posted:

This is me. MTGO is fine imho and accomplishes the task it's set out to acceptably: allowing me to 2-1 swiss drafts when I want to.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Modo is fine and vastly preferable to playing magic in person.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes but if you don't play in person you don't get to see cool alters like my land tax.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes but if you don't play in person you don't get to see cool alters like my land tax.

Maybe one day there will be a good alter that isn't him jerking off some dude.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Uh, he has a vice like grip on it, representing the oppression of the card, but I suppose if he was grabbing the balls it'd make more sense.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Speaking of oppression, Abzan midrange will dominate the meta for 1000 years, inshallah

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Chill la Chill posted:

Uh, he has a vice like grip on it, representing the oppression of the card, but I suppose if he was grabbing the balls it'd make more sense.

I still want to buy this.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I seriously love Abzan midrange ... I have gone a more aggro route with mine with 4 Fleecemane and 3 Heir to the Wild.

All of the cards pretty much are the best ones, and it feels fun to have a playstyle that is enhanced by all the good cards!

In short, I am okay with this!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

link

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I believe the correct label for sultai ascendancy's role in limited is that it is a skill tester.

Y'know, in the same way that Lens of Clarity is a skill tester.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm p sure I've posted it here before. I don't have the card with me ATM and I lost the original imgur link. Maybe I should've made an account there but lol who does that?

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I still want to buy this.

A balls one would be great!

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

inSTAALed posted:

It should be up at 5pm EST for anyone wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

inSTAALed posted:

It should be up at 5pm EST for anyone wondering.

So, 10PM EST.

• Locked thread