Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Corvinus posted:

The ones I've tried are:

Goliath is pretty great at tanking while delivering flame, then CCSing survivors that flee cause they're flanked. Also can get HEAT ammo.

Shogun can HEAT+Collateral drones and seekers for guaranteed 7 damage. Can get Light 'em Up and put out shitloads of damage into mechtoids/sectopods/etc. Can be reasonably tanking. Not really worth making a grenade heavy Shogun.

Valkyrie works best as a double/triple shooting Shredder distribution platform. Boring but effective.

Marauder is a tankier Assault, but can't get both RnG and Rapid Fire and has no Killer Instinct. MECs can get absurd mobility with foundry projects and leaving off secondary weapons, mostly negating the need for RnG, but Assaults can utility grenade/use psi/crit bigger. Not a huge fan but Marauders can potentially shoot 3 times and don't have shotgun range limitations.

I've recently got a Pathfinder up to MSGT level and they're pretty amazing. You have the speed and tankiness to run into a group of enemies and flank 'em all then In-The-Zone them one by one (boosted by the killing power of the MEC weaponry of course). If you run out of ammo out comes the flamethrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I have a MSGT Sniper with In the Zone and Lock 'n Load :getin:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ITZ snipers are great for pulling your squad out of the fire. I had a council mission in that observatory map and I spawned in the corner behind the multi-story observatory building with the telescope on top. We got hemmed in by a dozen mutons almost immediately after rounding the corner. I rocketed a bunch, twice, then they blew up the wall with an alien grenade making cover even scarcer and then taking high cover. My Field Commander sniper stepped up and dropped two mutons a turn getting 78% shots into high cover from a position where if the mutons had been able to move 3 squares forward they could've driven a flank shot into his face. Meanwhile my Archer Mech facetanked 25+ damage. Without those two I would've gotten slowly withered down into nothing.

And this is why I scope up snipers even if they already have high aim. Scopes for everyone!

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

I just finished a landed large UFO. The kill count at the end was 50.

The spawn had the potential to go badly. There were I believe 5 pods in the cargo bay - sectoids, exalt, thinmen, mechtoids, mutons, muton elites. While I was fighting those some floaters and heavy floaters showed up, then a few turns later a pod of seekers with a big boss. I had split my squad up to breach the two side doors, and on the turn before the breach an exalt guy popped one of the doors and got vaporized. Then the screen basically filled with red HP bars.

(this is about half of the enemies that started in that room, the rest moved out of sight when they activated)

Do you guys know how good flamethrowers are? Cause flamethrowers are really, really good. Know what else is good? ITZ scouts! Ran my tanking assault up to the sectoid commander for shred, killed him and two thinmen with the scout (which also killed literally every other sectoid cause they were melded), flamed everything on the upper floor with my archer and everything on the lower floor with my marauder. Mopped up some stragglers with the ITZ sniper (holy shitballs, crit-spec snipers with strike rifles and ITZ are amazing). What started out as ~25 active enemies turned into ~5 by the end of the turn.

Long war is pretty fantastic. I really like how the gameplay dynamic changes as the campaign moves on, once you're a year in you can't really sit back and hide behind cover anymore, you have to move out into open areas and create your own cover with your MECs and SHIVs or the big enemies will surround you.

Also: Getting the upgraded MEC close combat foundry project and slapping a kinetic strike module on a marauder is the bees knees. Only real downside is you can't use it with run and gun, but earlier today I crit a sectopod for 25 damage (and a WWE-style finishing move).

Also also: it's really, really, incredibly loving infuriating when your overwatch-spec MSGT infantry with 120 aim misses six overwatch shots in a row.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Lord Yod posted:

Long war is pretty fantastic. I really like how the gameplay dynamic changes as the campaign moves on, once you're a year in you can't really sit back and hide behind cover anymore, you have to move out into open areas and create your own cover with your MECs and SHIVs or the big enemies will surround you.

Also: Getting the upgraded MEC close combat foundry project and slapping a kinetic strike module on a marauder is the bees knees. Only real downside is you can't use it with run and gun, but earlier today I crit a sectopod for 25 damage (and a WWE-style finishing move).

It can crit? IT CAN DO 25 DAMAGE? :catstare:

Was this with HEAT? I punched a Sectoid Commander with KSM the other day and dealt a very underwhelming 9. Id on't have the Close Combat foundry project completed yet, so that must increase the damage by an assload.

What you said about Long War in general is very true; war changes quite dramatically once a lot of tough explosive wielding enemies enter the fray and its only through MECs, Alloy SHIVs and jetpacks that you can really stay ahead of the tactical curve there.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
How do I get Pulse Lasers? I'm away from the computer right now so I can't look it up.

Edit: Also, ran into my first Ethereals and Sectopods today. Still haven't done a base assault... I've lost six countries at this point and I feel like I'm on the edge of hitting unwinnable status.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 19, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tarezax posted:

How do I get Pulse Lasers? I'm away from the computer right now so I can't look it up.

Edit: Also, ran into my first Ethereals and Sectopods today. Still haven't done a base assault... I've lost six countries at this point and I feel like I'm on the edge of hitting unwinnable status.

Advanced Beam Lasers and Alien Power Systems.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Beagle posted:

Of course, no-one can be proven to be totally legitimate without a referee physically checking your install; you could be an rear end in a top hat and slightly modify the to-hit chances of every alien in the DGC without telling your viewers to give yourself an edge, etc. Again, it's nice that people take me at face value so I never have to worry about making rebuttals to suspicions that would be impossible to disprove.

That sounds exactly like what someone doing that would say :tinfoil:

Also, when do you intend on saving South Africa?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dongattack posted:

There are squad size upgrades in vanilla? I don't think so, but it's been a while.

There are, you start with just 4 guys and can increase it to 6.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Seedge posted:

That sounds exactly like what someone doing that would say :tinfoil:

Also, when do you intend on saving South Africa?

Yeah Beagle, especially since South Africa was completly and utterly your own fault :colbert:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

How do you melee Sectopods, or that's a LW thing?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
By far one of the most important changes this mod made was the changes to cover. Making half cover actually worth a poo poo was huge - such a small upgrade (20 to 30) but not only is that a massive difference all by itself, but it's combined with a little bit of DR, and it makes your hunker go to 60.

Also, not having cover blown up all the time is so great. Nothing felt more unfair than a missed shot blowing your hard cover up and leaving a guy exposed to get raped during the rest of that turn.

Question for the thread about item usage, since there isn't a whole lot of strategy discussion:

What class items do you like using?

What do your loadouts usually look like?

I use the obvious goodies - smoke, scope, alloy vest, flashbangs and a variety of grenades. But I also really like to throw high cap mags on my infantry once I get laser rifles.

There's a bunch of stuff I never bother with, though, the +7% crit targeting module, a bunch of the ammo (ugh that this stuff takes a slot).

I have been using SHIVs regularly - early on I use them in UFO missions to scoot across the map and get meld, bomb missions, and later on I use them for flush/suppression/etc. and of course alloy shivs are amazing as well.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Lord Yod posted:

I just finished a landed large UFO. The kill count at the end was 50.

The spawn had the potential to go badly. There were I believe 5 pods in the cargo bay - sectoids, exalt, thinmen, mechtoids, mutons, muton elites. While I was fighting those some floaters and heavy floaters showed up, then a few turns later a pod of seekers with a big boss. I had split my squad up to breach the two side doors, and on the turn before the breach an exalt guy popped one of the doors and got vaporized. Then the screen basically filled with red HP bars.

Man I had a really, really hard time on that map in May just the other night.

I got stuck there where the markups are on your image and triggered the 5 outsider pod. LZ was on the other end of the map so I was creeping around.

Then I had to deal with the 40 aliens just zerging me since the outsider pod triggers everyone to come after you. Ended up only losing my Sgt. Gunner.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

Man I had a really, really hard time on that map in May just the other night.

I got stuck there where the markups are on your image and triggered the 5 outsider pod. LZ was on the other end of the map so I was creeping around.

Then I had to deal with the 40 aliens just zerging me since the outsider pod triggers everyone to come after you. Ended up only losing my Sgt. Gunner.

I've got no idea how people succeed in clearing out those UFOs, I've had to bug out every time I've attempted it.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I've got no idea how people succeed in clearing out those UFOs, I've had to bug out every time I've attempted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwO9YV6sZ4Y

Beagle doing a supply ship in second month (3 hours long). I know it's not the largest ship but worth a watch for overseer craziness.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Tarezax posted:

Number of alien controlled countries doesn't matter too much, in my experience. I have no idea whether this is true or not but I feel like allowing them to grab a few countries gives them some extra resources (thus keeping YOUR resources flowing in) but doesn't really affect their overall threat.

The only thing that really affects winnable/unwinnable is soldier roster. Everything else you can skimp on for a while and eventually pull through but if you haven't got the troops to win missions then you're proper hosed.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Luck, two snipers, and a tiny bit of skill.

The outsiders only engaged me one or two at a time. I got some lucky hits that I desperately needed, and some lucky misses, and some lucky no-kills on alien hits.

The rest of the pods came in one at a time mostly, so I was able to deal with 4-5 aliens at once, rather than get flooded with 10+ activated

You can minimize your bad luck by playing smart - hunker, careful advancement, stuff like that - but at the end of the day you're taking shots that are 70% or better and getting hit by 20-30% and 10% to crit and hoping it comes out in your favor.

All it takes is a few clutch missed shots on poo poo that needed to die that turn or else combined with some hits instead of misses and the whole mission is hosed

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 19, 2014

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Brought my laptop to a fencing training camp thingy thinking I could play a little at night when I had free time, but I'm so tired that the one time I tried playing the game I got half my squad killed in record time. Goooonna have to hold out on playing til I get back. Goddamn it, I need that fatigue gene mod! Like, in real life!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hopeford posted:

Brought my laptop to a fencing training camp thingy thinking I could play a little at night when I had free time, but I'm so tired that the one time I tried playing the game I got half my squad killed in record time. Goooonna have to hold out on playing til I get back. Goddamn it, I need that fatigue gene mod! Like, in real life!

There is an easy solution to your problem:
Stop fencing or doing any physical activity to get the maximum amount of XCOM playtime.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Re: small item equipment. Almost everyone gets walker servos when I get tac rigging. Assaults get shredder ammo and some kind of plating depending on tech level. When mechs get more common, I'll trade shredder for breaching ammo. Infantry get a scope and either laser sight or ammo depending on weapon tech and LnL. Gunners get scopes and bipods. Scouts carry random poo poo like stunning, extra chems, chitin, scopes, marksmen's scopes, whatever. They generally are the most flexible class so I'll gear them for what I need most. Snipers get scopes and something random, usually a laser sight.

Engineers, medics, and rocketeers all carry grenades, medkits, and rockets. Low aim rocketeers get a scope, and I try for as many chem grenades as I can without losing out on cover destruction or medkits.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Michaellaneous posted:

There is an easy solution to your problem:
Stop fencing or doing any physical activity to get the maximum amount of XCOM playtime.

I only have one day left, I can probably make it without Flamethrowing Chrysalids at least one more day. Only problem is that by the time I get back I'll probably be incredibly frustrated I can't Flèche mutons.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Re: small item equipment. Almost everyone gets walker servos when I get tac rigging. Assaults get shredder ammo and some kind of plating depending on tech level. When mechs get more common, I'll trade shredder for breaching ammo. Infantry get a scope and either laser sight or ammo depending on weapon tech and LnL. Gunners get scopes and bipods. Scouts carry random poo poo like stunning, extra chems, chitin, scopes, marksmen's scopes, whatever. They generally are the most flexible class so I'll gear them for what I need most. Snipers get scopes and something random, usually a laser sight.

Engineers, medics, and rocketeers all carry grenades, medkits, and rockets. Low aim rocketeers get a scope, and I try for as many chem grenades as I can without losing out on cover destruction or medkits.

Have you ever tried the Arc Rifle?

It seems like a total piece of crap so I never bothered to build one and use it

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

It seems like a total piece of crap so I never bothered to build one and use it

I did, and saw many more disadvantages than advantages. After two-three missions trying to get something out of it, I gave up.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Zokalwe posted:

I did, and saw many more disadvantages than advantages. After two-three missions trying to get something out of it, I gave up.

It's just a regular weapon that does poo poo damage and has disabling shot, right?

Which would probably be workable if disabling shot had say, the flush bonus to accuracy, but instead it has a slight penalty

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

It's just a regular weapon that does poo poo damage and has disabling shot, right?

Which would probably be workable if disabling shot had say, the flush bonus to accuracy, but instead it has a slight penalty

Throw in a sniper-like restriction (cannot move & shoot) and yes, that's it.
The cooldown of disabling shot on this poo poo weapon magnify how impractical it is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
What exactly the the DR Penalty for shotguns actually supposed to mean? Couldn't find anything on the wiki about it, so I'm not sure exactly why Breaching Ammo would be worth taking in that case. Unless it's supposed to mean firing a shotgun class weapon at someone in cover procs DR more or causes more DR or something?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sober posted:

What exactly the the DR Penalty for shotguns actually supposed to mean? Couldn't find anything on the wiki about it, so I'm not sure exactly why Breaching Ammo would be worth taking in that case. Unless it's supposed to mean firing a shotgun class weapon at someone in cover procs DR more or causes more DR or something?
DR gets multiplied by 1.5 for shotguns. So if your target has a DR of 2, it'll take 3 less damage when hit by a shotgun. Early on, this means breaching ammo is useless because things rarely have inherent DR. Later, though, when basically everything has DR, it starts becoming more valuable than a +dmg item most of the time.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

DR gets multiplied by 1.5 for shotguns.

Including cover DR.

Late game, aliens often have ~4 DR and up to ~8 for sectopods/uberethereal. Some mutons/floaters and their bigger buddies can have Will to Survive (1.5 DR) and mechtoids/sectopods/ethereals can show up with Shock Absorbent/Absorption Field. I haven't reached that point yet but presumably CCS/CE shotgun Assaults will end up being near useless on some of these.

Beagle posted:

Was this with HEAT? I punched a Sectoid Commander with KSM the other day and dealt a very underwhelming 9. Id on't have the Close Combat foundry project completed yet, so that must increase the damage by an assload.

Sectoid Commanders have 2-4 DR and base KSM is a piddly 9-15. It's complete rear end without the foundry project.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 19, 2014

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Beagle posted:

I average about 15-16 damage per hit with it now. Enough to kill a regular outsider in one punch, in other words. No HEAT, though in this instance the thing had been chemmed.

Edit: just remembered, I wanted to try and convince you to build a battle computer. +10 aim, critical chance, and defense doesn't sound like much until you send your MEC to face tank 4 mechtoids and a sectopod, and they all miss.

Lord Yod fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 19, 2014

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Thinking about ITZ MECs, Pathfinders and Jaegers both get: ITZ, Ranger, VPT, Executioner and Platform Stability.

Jaeger difference: +6 aim, can get Aggression and BeO. ITZ crit penalty is fairly steep but at least the first couple shots have a high chance to crit for big damage.

Pathfinder difference: +2 HP, +2 mobility, has JBM (situationally very nice), can get Flush/whatever on that tier.

Pathfinder is more versatile and there have been times where I definitely miss JBM on MECs without it, but I've yet to try either of these.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 19, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Jeez, everyone talkin about MECs in LW, I'm still fielding people in Phalanx Armour!

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Is there anything in the ini's to increase the odds of retraining your psi soldiers/changing it back so you don't have to retrain them for every level? I'm getting really tired of having all my best troops sitting in the psi labs for weeks and weeks on end because they keep fluffing their level up roll.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Sober posted:

Jeez, everyone talkin about MECs in LW, I'm still fielding people in Phalanx Armour!

Same here, drat you Exalt for setting back my research twice.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got my first MEC last night in LW. God speed, Shogun. I cant wait for you to disappoint.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Well then.

Jake Solomon posted:

I don't think I've ever said this before, but your ultimate psi soldier in XCOM, "The Volunteer," does NOT die at the end of the game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was always wondering this. Glad it was finally confirmed either way.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
They just die about four minutes after the end of the game in their freefall from goddamned space.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I smell a sequel hook.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I smell a sequel hook.

Hopefully he is leading the aliens in the second game. I'll be happy with a TFTD (same game, minor engine tweaks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Got my first MEC last night in LW. God speed, Shogun. I cant wait for you to disappoint.

Unless you do not take HEAT ammo (ammo, not warheads) there's just no way a Shogun can disappoint.

Lord Yod posted:

Edit: just remembered, I wanted to try and convince you to build a battle computer. +10 aim, critical chance, and defense doesn't sound like much until you send your MEC to face tank 4 mechtoids and a sectopod, and they all miss.

How can one even think of NOT putting a battle computer on all MECs as soon as possible? It does everything.

Zokalwe fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 20, 2014

• Locked thread