Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Paradise Kiss doesn't seem like it really fits. I mean JoujiGeorge is kind of an rear end, but you can at least understand both why she likes him, and why they like each other.

As far as canon couples go I can't think of too many I don't like. Of series I finished anyway.

E: the worst love interest and worse official relationship can both be found in Itazura na Kiss. That guy is an rear end in a top hat from high school all the way to ( and past ) where they have a kid.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Darth Walrus posted:

That's an interesting one - can you think of any shows/comics where the primary canon relationship was the best/most entertaining one available?
Remington Steele.

Edit: I wish Remington Steele was a manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming we're ignoring stories where the romance is clearly secondary such as Silver Spoon or Biscuit Hammer, then there actually only a few that immediately come to mind. Fruits Basket maybe, and technically Kimi ni Todoke even though it's more of a technicality (all of the other relationships are boring).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

That's an interesting one - can you think of any shows/comics where the primary canon relationship was the best/most entertaining one available?

otomen

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Assuming we're ignoring stories where the romance is clearly secondary such as Silver Spoon or Biscuit Hammer, then there actually only a few that immediately come to mind. Fruits Basket maybe, and technically Kimi ni Todoke even though it's more of a technicality (all of the other relationships are boring).
Fruits Basket is one of the few series where the actual main couple are the ones I thought seemed the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My Love Story!, duh. Sure, it is also the only relationship, but that isn't important.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Bonnouji?

idk what you guys are talking about i just like to remember Bonnouji

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
It's been years since I read and watched it, but Lovely Complex?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Cat Street :allears: but the romance is secondary.
Sukimasuki
3am Dangerous Zone

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Gnossiennes posted:

Cat Street :allears: but the romance is secondary.

gently caress yeah Cat Street

a kitten posted:

E: the worst love interest and worse official relationship can both be found in Itazura na Kiss. That guy is an rear end in a top hat from high school all the way to ( and past ) where they have a kid.

That poo poo was hilarious though, but girl get some self esteem

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Remington Steele.

Edit: I wish Remington Steele was a manga.

I'm disappointed to learn that I couldn't find Remington Steel: Anime Version on either tumblr or devantart.

Is anyone reading Stretch? I just learned it existed, it's by the same author as Prism, which i was enjoying right up until it was abruptly canceled when it was revealed he (?) was tracing and/or copying art. :doh:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm reading it. Its okay. Kinda wondering if he's actually gonna do anything with the subtext or if it'll just remain a SoL thing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

a kitten posted:

Paradise Kiss doesn't seem like it really fits. I mean JoujiGeorge is kind of an rear end, but you can at least understand both why she likes him, and why they like each other.

Yeah, George and Caroline's relationship was unstable from the start and I'm glad both of them realized it and broke it off later. For me I would be interested in characters who change each other during their interactions for the better or worse.

Hmm---series where the canon couple is entertaining? Checking my list I would list Jellyfish Princess, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Cheese in the Trap, Horimiya, and Soul Eater.

I'm not too crazy about stories where one character changes for the other party for no reason other than dating them.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I like the main couple in Last Game, even if they're not actually a couple yet. Kind of a more dynamic version of the couple in Kimi Ni Todoke (to be fair to KnT, Sawako is fine, it's just the main dude is really boring).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I am so loving sick of "most popular boy in school" male leads.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Better than the 'most ordinary boy in school' leads that litter most male-targeted romances.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Coaaab posted:

Better than the 'most ordinary boy in school' leads that litter most male-targeted romances.

Then maybe you can explain how I'm supposed to enjoy the story if the main character has a trait that I don't.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Inuyasha and Kagome. It's basically a shoujo manga.

(and yes I'm well aware Inuyasha apparently kicked the Internet's collective dog. But it's an important part of my childhood)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Is anyone reading Stretch? I just learned it existed, it's by the same author as Prism, which i was enjoying right up until it was abruptly canceled when it was revealed he (?) was tracing and/or copying art. :doh:

I've been reading it. The last chapter's prank slayed me. I enjoy the relationship teases and hints of past drama but really it's best when it's just being goofy SOL.

Magnet na Watashi-tachi is a cute 1-volume story. While the "prince of high school" and "jerk boyfriend" characters are extremely tiresome, for some reason the "boy who looks mean but is actually nice" trope never gets old for me.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 18, 2014

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Then maybe you can explain how I'm supposed to enjoy the story if the main character has a trait that I don't.
Uh, maybe take a chance on something outside of your limited perspective and perhaps your innate empathy would allow you to reach an understanding of that kind of character somewhere in the middle. I have no idea whether or not you were being sarcastic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Inuyasha and Kagome. It's basically a shoujo manga.

(and yes I'm well aware Inuyasha apparently kicked the Internet's collective dog. But it's an important part of my childhood)

Nostalgia is worthless. Do you have reasons why that particular relationship is interesting other than the fact that you liked it when you were younger?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I rewatched that thing fairly recently and it was still good.

No opinion on the relationship, though, apart from that it's fun watching DV and other animal abuse happen in my anime. Slapstick best stick.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nostalgia is worthless. Do you have reasons why that particular relationship is interesting other than the fact that you liked it when you were younger?

I liked Inuyasha's turmoil at loving one woman and then loving another woman who was kinda the same but not really. I mean, seriously, that has to cause all kinds of mental confusion, in addition to the less-than-pleasant way he parted with his former love. Or the fact his former love is around as a vengeful bitch. (at first anyway)

In spite of all these emotional issues and the fact a super-powereful demon is trying to kill both of them, they do get close and Kagome does everything she can for Inuyasha. Even getting her soul ripped out didn't stop her from saving him and kicking the rear end of the villain.

Kagome is really the hero of the story. She defeated the main villain in the end.

There's a really good scene where Kagome is forced to return to the present and she comes to the realization she loves Inuyasha. She realizes this after he's chosen to be with Kikyo which obviously causes Kagome a ton of pain. She briefly contemplates how she wants Kikyo to die and be gone forever but stops herself, understanding that this kind of thought process makes her sound like a horrible person. It all ends with her running to her mom, crying, and then the two of them having a heart-to-heart that helps Kagome put things into perspective. Considering Kagome is a 15-year-old girl who has just fallen in love, the part with her mom especially hit home to me because I think it's pretty realistic.

It's Episode 48 and it's actually Rumiko Takahashi's favorite episode. Mine too really. Well, it's up there.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 18, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

I am so loving sick of "most popular boy in school" male leads.

last game is a good read because the rich, smart, handsome popular guy is the viewpoint character and you realize he's just as much of a dork as everyone else.

also most of it takes place in college, which is at least better than high school.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its a bad read because the updates are completely random in order

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Last Game is really good, though it is also pretty drat slow. (We are only just now getting to the point where I expect the two of them to get together within maybe 30 more chapters. You know, assuming no major setbacks.)

...also yes it suffers from weird translation priorities.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked Inuyasha's turmoil at loving one woman and then loving another woman who was kinda the same but not really. I mean, seriously, that has to cause all kinds of mental confusion, in addition to the less-than-pleasant way he parted with his former love. Or the fact his former love is around as a vengeful bitch. (at first anyway)

GDT, you're making me want to finish Inuyasha and I haven't read it since maybe 7th grade :argh:

IIRC I lost hope after I realized it had something around 40+ volumes and even back then that was a long series to read in my free time. I did read Ranma 1/2 at the library though but I think that was easier to read and fewer characters to keep track of in the story.

Anyone know if her most recent manga series by Takahashi is worth following or not? Her art style is so retro but still funny even all these years or maybe the nostalgia is affecting me too.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
What I mostly remember from the last couple arcs of Inuyasha was him fighting some random boss, absorbing their power, and upgrading his sword, rinse and repeat. It did lead to a dick move by their dad where Sesshomaru found out his sword was also gonna be absorbed by Inuyasha's sword as well. I dunno, I felt like Inuyasha felt was too formulaic in general, especially at the end so I don't really hold it in any high regard. I still think all her stuff pre-Inuyasha was still pretty solid, but I never got around to reading Takahashi's latest series.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alder posted:

GDT, you're making me want to finish Inuyasha and I haven't read it since maybe 7th grade :argh:

IIRC I lost hope after I realized it had something around 40+ volumes and even back then that was a long series to read in my free time. I did read Ranma 1/2 at the library though but I think that was easier to read and fewer characters to keep track of in the story.

Anyone know if her most recent manga series by Takahashi is worth following or not? Her art style is so retro but still funny even all these years or maybe the nostalgia is affecting me too.

Rin-ne is actually getting an anime adaptation I believe.

Overall it doesn't sound as good as her previous works (I haven't read it myself, my fellow Takahashi fan tells me it's closer to Ranma than IY in terms of how not-serious the plot is) but, considering she's made 4 best selling manga in as many decades, it's probably inevitable she ran out of steam. Seriously, look at how Oda gets sick from doing One Piece weekly and stuff. Takahashi has been putting out things since Oda was born and she's still doing the weekly schedule.

She's a machine.

Allarion posted:

What I mostly remember from the last couple arcs of Inuyasha was him fighting some random boss, absorbing their power, and upgrading his sword, rinse and repeat. It did lead to a dick move by their dad where Sesshomaru found out his sword was also gonna be absorbed by Inuyasha's sword as well. I dunno, I felt like Inuyasha felt was too formulaic in general, especially at the end so I don't really hold it in any high regard. I still think all her stuff pre-Inuyasha was still pretty solid, but I never got around to reading Takahashi's latest series.

Inuyasha is far too bloated and repetitive for its own good, that much is undeniable. It could have been substantially shorter and better for it.

That being said, while we're on the topic of good romance, while it's popular to poo poo on Rumiko these days, I have yet to hear a bad thing about Maison Ikkoku. It's not overly long like Ranma or IY and the romance is positively received.

I also wish the people who attack Takahashi (and believe me, there are. I once asked who the richest mangaka was because I heard Rumiko ws up there and a guy freaked out about how she wasn't that great and doesn't deserve any money or to have a job at all) realize that she made it in Japan in the 1970s. That was the age of where Mobile Suit Gundam had a male character slap a female character across teh face and then she loved him forever. I was reading a topic just earlier today about how some more modern female mangaka had the worst editors ever and they only ever picked on her because she was a woman.

Rumiko not only survived in this climate, she thrived and became extremely wealthy and made a ton of beloved series for not just Japan, but the enitre world.

Whatever you can say about her writing ability, I admire the person.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 19, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Somehow, I feel like you don't have to defend Rumiko Takahashi in the Shoujo, Josei and Romance Thread.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Rinne because it's random and doesn,t take itself seriously at all. It's pretty chill.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

a guy freaked out about how she wasn't that great and doesn't deserve any money or to have a job at all) realize that she made it in Japan in the 1970s.

I, too, think all those rich and more successful people don't deserve their money and/or jobs. Uh, OK, that's a weird rant to go in a manga discussion. It's hard to judge who exactly deserves money or fame account of it's me only clearly subjective.

I didn't know she still did the weekly schedule as that tends to burn out manga-ka very quickly :v:

Which Gundam series was that scene from again? I only watched parts of Gundam Wing and G Gundam on CN. I grew out of it before they released SEED and no more mecha ever for me thanks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It was the original Mobile Suit Gundam from the 1970s. I forget what year exactly, towards the end. A character named Slegger (who is so stereotypically American it hurts) hits a character named Mirai because she was kinda being rude to her ex-fiance. That is the only meaningful interaction Slegger and her have and in a couple episodes when he dies, the two of them make out and she's like I LOVE YOU.

It's...really loving bad. Then again, don't tell anyone, but I think the original MSG was garbage. Zeta was MSG but better in every imaginable way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You know, we have three whole threads (four if you count the gunpla one) dedicated to discussing people's terrible opinions about Gundam.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New Taiyou no Ie. It's mostly Mao/Hiro-centric but I'll take what I can get.

So after that seemingly tossed aside arc with the mom, I'm back to thinking the series is going to end soon again.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

New Taiyou no Ie. It's mostly Mao/Hiro-centric but I'll take what I can get.

So after that seemingly tossed aside arc with the mom, I'm back to thinking the series is going to end soon again.

Just marathoned through this; I am still bothered by the age difference in the relationship, but the mangaka said her parents having the same age difference was her inspiration, so I knew Mao/Hiro was inevitable even though I was a fan of the brother.

Concerning talk about entertaining couples with leads that aren't just changing completely for one person or are weirdly abusive/uncommunicative: I agree that Last Game is a fun manga. Obviously, the couple in Ore Monogotari!! is amazing. I know Koi dano Ai dano starts out with the guy definitely invading the girl's personal space, but he grows to be more respectful and aware of how inappropriate his actions are over the manga. (It helps that the girl he's crushing on easily dismisses his advances.) The couple in Orange Chocolate starts out as childhood friends, and genuinely seem to like and care about each other. In fact, they are very sweet to one another.

In terms of newer manga, I'm liking Haru Matsu Bokura - the main romantic interests seem to be starting out as actual, normal friends, which is great.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

I've been thinking, and I've watched A LOT of romance anime - so much so that I'm kinda running out, I even rewatched (and read) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. It makes me happy. Don't judge me.

Now for your help. I want an anime that punches me in the face with romance like KareKano did. It's really the only story that made me cry multiple times, and I'd like to think I'm a manly man, which I am not. What do you suggest that's new(ish) along the same lines?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GL manhua "Their Story" translated : http://yaoi-blcd.tumblr.com/tagged/tan-jiu

Ignore the shady tumblr as comic is rated E.

@draconic: Any other manga/anime series you like other than the 2 listed? The more references the easier I can find similar series.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

Alder posted:

GL manhua "Their Story" translated : http://yaoi-blcd.tumblr.com/tagged/tan-jiu

Ignore the shady tumblr as comic is rated E.

@draconic: Any other manga/anime series you like other than the 2 listed? The more references the easier I can find similar series.

oh hell let's see i've seen

blue spring ride
glasslip (gently caress that anime)
say i love you
yona of the dawn
utakoi
5 cm per second (and the rest of it)
golden time
monthly girls nozaki-kun
mysterious girlfriend x (god drat this was loving weird)
myself, yourself
nisekoi
the pet girl of sakurasou
toradora
wolf girl and black prince

i mean what else is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't see Clannad on that list, go watch that