Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

-CHA posted:

Alright, explain so I may learn from my mistakes. Although I make no apologies for stupid file names :colbert:

My eye just keeps getting pulled to the left side of the frame where nothing is really happening, except for the brighter colors of the hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
The processing, mostly. I mean, it looks like you applied a Glow Edges filter to the antlers. It's pretty badly over-processed.

What'd the original look like?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

accipter posted:

My eye just keeps getting pulled to the left side of the frame where nothing is really happening, except for the brighter colors of the hair.

Yeah, good point there.

ExecuDork posted:

Is it the HDR-esque processing on the photo, or the identification as a deer (cervid), or the pun that you object to?

To me, it's an OK shot, but looks suspiciously over-processed. Halo effect, especially on the antlers, is a bit off-putting.

As soon as you pointed that out I started noticing it more and it started to bug me too.

I toned it down a bit and fixed the cropping.

White-Tailed Deer by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

-CHA fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 29, 2014

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I was at work today and this guy landed on me, all I had was my cell phone, but it came out much better than I expected

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The best camera for taking a photo is the one you have on you. Nice shot.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Trying to motivate myself to process more of my Kenya photos.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

Jesus, that shot should be motivation enough.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

holy poo poo, that's awesome

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Evolution?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Rhino with lots of friends

This is from a page or two ago but just wanted to say I really love this shot.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Rhino with lots of friends

This is from a page or two ago but just wanted to say I really love this shot.
So sharp you could shave with it.

Good lord I am jealous of these shots.

Some day, Kenya. Some day.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

toggle posted:

Evolution?

Ha. I like it.

Another bull elk

elk-bull-face by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And a few shots from the Oakland Zoo

meerkat-sit by digital_walnut, on Flickr

gibbon-face by digital_walnut, on Flickr

trunk by digital_walnut, on Flickr

Camel fights look very silly.

camels2 by digital_walnut, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Shiruan
May 25, 2012

Terribly clever.

Really loving these. Super expressive, especially the first two.

I had a jaunt in Kenya/Tanzania earlier this year too, and I'm finally getting close to done slogging through the 30,000 odd shots from the trip. A saw a lot less action than InternetJunky (or a closeup rhino, ya' bastard :argh:), but I'm a lot happier with my shots than I was on my last trip, about 10 years ago. So... progress.

I've been skewing more dramatic than documentary in my processing, lotta' xsuper moodyx black and whites. Hope it's not too egregious for y'all.

Here're a couple:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Shiruan posted:

Really loving these. Super expressive, especially the first two.

I had a jaunt in Kenya/Tanzania earlier this year too, and I'm finally getting close to done slogging through the 30,000 odd shots from the trip. A saw a lot less action than InternetJunky (or a closeup rhino, ya' bastard :argh:), but I'm a lot happier with my shots than I was on my last trip, about 10 years ago. So... progress.

I've been skewing more dramatic than documentary in my processing, lotta' xsuper moodyx black and whites. Hope it's not too egregious for y'all.

Here're a couple:

I like the lion shot but the last one (zebras) looks odd with the nearly white sky (especially on the white BG) also it looks like there is a huge dust piece (or an unfortunate animal in the BG)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It looks like a tree to me. They're all great shots, and I'm jealous of you guys who have gone to Africa.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is gorgeous.

quote:

I like the B&W treatment on this, but I'd experiment with cloning out the wildebeest. The cape buffalo has got a great stance/expression and I think it would work great alone in the shot.

quote:

Agreeing with Dreadhead regarding this shot. I think you could do a 16x9 crop without the sky and it would look pretty good.

Keep them coming!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This thread is absolutely amazing. I live in a place with pretty boring (or horribly inaccessible) wildlife so it's like a window into the real world.

"Wild"life:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I'm not entirely convinced the processing doesn't come across looking like some lovely hack job, but I'm don't feel like spending any more time on it. So, yeah.

Chimpanzee by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Well, for what it's worth, I'm entirely convinced the processing doesn't come across looking like some lovely hack job.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, I agree. Great photo!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Goddamn. That chimpanzee portrait is fantastic.

This thread is just amazing.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Shiruan posted:

Africa stuffs
These are all pretty great. The sky in the zebra one doesn't bother me at all (it'll look great against a darker background or in a black frame), but I'd dodge that tree (or whatever the out of focus blotch is) a bit if it was my photo.

William T. Hornaday posted:

I'm not entirely convinced the processing doesn't come across looking like some lovely hack job, but I'm don't feel like spending any more time on it. So, yeah.

That looks wonderful. It's obviously processed, but not in a distasteful way.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm entirely convinced the processing is awesome. Whatever you're doing keep it up because this is an amazing portrait.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

This thread is absolutely amazing. I live in a place with pretty boring (or horribly inaccessible) wildlife so it's like a window into the real world.

"Wild"life:

You live in New Zealand. I refuse to believe you don't have access to wildlife that would make the average North American or European photographer jump up and down and clap their hands like an overhyped child.

Shoot the random birds that infest your neighbour's back yard, the rest of us will get all weirdly excited.

And I like your cow shot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

You live in New Zealand. I refuse to believe you don't have access to wildlife that would make the average North American or European photographer jump up and down and clap their hands like an overhyped child.

Shoot the random birds that infest your neighbour's back yard, the rest of us will get all weirdly excited.

And I like your cow shot.

Most of the birds I have access to are just sparrows and gulls etc because I live in the city.

Crossposting then:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Most of the birds I have access to are just sparrows and gulls etc because I live in the city.

I don't think you understand how nutty us birders are.

With the exception of House Sparrows (which are non-native but now live in and around nearly every human-settled city on earth) anything you post is going to be interesting to us.

So, erm, take some more pictures and post 'em in the bird thread. :v:

(also, if you start enjoying it you'll also start noticing other birds that live around you and you've just never paid attention to--I had no idea how many species of birds there were around my neighborhoods until I really started paying attention)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, most of the birds we post here are common urban/suburban birds in the US.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Gulls and sparrows - European House Sparrows aside - are like challenge mode for birders. Identifying most gulls and most (North American native) sparrows to species ranges from "welp, that's the only one with a big black spot there" to "gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you you goddam 3-way hybrid juvenile from hell!". Plus, regional variation piles up over large biogeographical distances, and NZ is on the other side of the Wallace Line. That puts you about 4 or 5 biogeographical provinces away from Europe, or 6 or 7 from North America - which means EVERYTHING is different. Even (especially) the Gulls and Sparrows.

With the notable exception of Arctic Terns, those guys literally go everywhere.

EDIT: I like House Sparrows, they have really interesting behaviours and they're so used to humans you can actually watch them do the crazy stuff they do.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: I like House Sparrows, they have really interesting behaviours and they're so used to humans you can actually watch them do the crazy stuff they do.
So do I, and I take pictures of them all the time both because they are fun to watch and because they're really good practice for shooting other small birds. Watching a fledgling house sparrow drive its poor frazzled parents insane following them around demanding food while I sit outside in the summer and sip a lemonade is hilarious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll return with ordinary bird shots when the weather clears :v:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Well, for what it's worth, I'm entirely convinced the processing doesn't come across looking like some lovely hack job.

InternetJunky posted:

I'm entirely convinced the processing is awesome. Whatever you're doing keep it up because this is an amazing portrait.

Thanks. There are just so many really lovely, low key lighting, masking jobs on Flickr (e.g., radial solid black gradient) and sometimes I worry that I occasionally stumble into being one of them.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Elephants:

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009

Thanks. There are just so many really lovely, low key lighting, masking jobs on Flickr (e.g., radial solid black gradient) and sometimes I worry that I occasionally stumble into being one of them.

Even separate from the processing (which I really enjoy and would love to know what you are doing) you seem to have a natural ability for finding expression and personality in your subjects.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
So I went up to Churchill:

Untitled by Powercube, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You really ought to hunt down that Bernie rear end in a top hat and tell him to stop projecting his name onto your subjects.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Churchill is like cheating for polar bear pictures. Presumably you have some that weren't ruined by a big stupid watermark? Nobody's gonna steal your photos, dude, every pro wildlife photog has been to Churchill already. The internet is flooded with polar-bears-in-Churchill pictures.

EDIT:
This is goddam amazing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Why is everybody dogging on that bear shot? Its dope as gently caress. Who gives a poo poo about a watermark.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some more from Kenya

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Why is everybody dogging on that bear shot? Its dope as gently caress. Who gives a poo poo about a watermark.
I think it's an amazing shot and would be hanging it on my wall with pride if it were mine. The watermark is very distracting though and an easy thing to fixate on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

More Kenya spam

Hyenas got the tip of this poor elephant's trunk :( She seemed to be doing ok without it thankfully.