Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is an album made in 2014 even going to sound good on vinyl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why wouldn't it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

Only movie soundtracks.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BigFactory posted:

Only movie soundtracks.

Video game soundtracks.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Thom and the Heads posted:

Hey vinyl thread Amazon has a few more of the new Flying Lotus LP on sale for 12 loving dollars for some reason. Pls buy these this album owns http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MORIXBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I snagged it when it went down to $9. Suckers.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hey vinyl thread Amazon has a few more of the new Flying Lotus LP on sale for 12 loving dollars for some reason. Pls buy these this album owns http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MORIXBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whelp, there's my impulse buy of the day.

In other news here are two more recent pickups:

The Geto Boys is for my wife because she's really into 90s gangsta rap. My recent discovery of 10cc, meanwhile is taking me down some weird places.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pains of Being Pure at Heart have a very good tour only EP that's worth picking up ($10).

Can anyone recommend a cheapish (sub $150) preamp with volume control? I'm helping my dad set up his old gear but his ancient but awesome receiver finally kicked it and they don't have the scratch to spare to replace it right now, so I'm going to grab him one for Christmas and get his setup back up and running.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I meant better than CD or MP3 because they're all recorded digitally, for the most part.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sadly, that doesn't save anyone from mastering CDs to sound like poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

cebrail posted:

Sadly, that doesn't save anyone from mastering CDs to sound like poo poo.

Records aren't some kind of silver bullet for that though.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

No, of course not. But the vinyl record sounding better than the CD/digital is still a thing that happens. In most cases, the sound of an LP vs. a CD isn't determined by the technical superiority of either format.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 19, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

cebrail posted:

No, of course not. But the vinyl record sounding better than the CD/digital is still a thing that happens. In most cases, the sound of an LP vs. a CD isn't determined by the technical superiority of either format.

CD is clearly the technically superior format, and "sounding better" is a really subjective qualification. CDs usually sound better in my opinion, I just enjoy playing records more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

CD is clearly the technically superior format, and "sounding better" is a really subjective qualification. CDs usually sound better in my opinion, I just enjoy playing records more.

Burn the heretic!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to play my records in 50 years. Less sure about CD's and way less sure about MP3s. But otherwise, CD's sound really great. Put one on if you haven't in a while.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Who's doing most of their non-vinyl listening on anything other than Spotify/Google Play? Seriously? CDs?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Who's doing most of their non-vinyl listening on anything other than Spotify/Google Play? Seriously? CDs?

CDs sound great.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I still buy CDs but im starting to get into Vinyl.

CDs are cheap right now and you can rip them in a better format/quality than what you can stream or buy online generally.

Did anyone else get anything good from Half Price Books 50% off coupon on Saturday? Here's what I picked up for $3.50:

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Bought two very different records from the same label:

Hopefully tongue in cheek named Necro Deathmort. Name aside, very good industrial/doom metal. It's not all heavy guitar which is what I love about it. Art is really well done, too. Love the Giger tones it gives.

https://distractionrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ep2

Warm Digits

Psychedelic krautrock, but very upbeat. Reminds me of a few Ulrich Schauss songs, and Chemical Brothers' most recent album.

https://distractionrecords.bandcamp.com/album/keep-warm-with-the-warm-digits

Shipping from UK almost killed it for me, but listening to them last night validated my impulse buys.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

BigFactory posted:

CDs sound great.

Yeah but you're not gonna carry around a portable CD player, are you? And they're a pain in the rear end when you're at home compared to just ripping them to FLAC or Apple Lossless and forgetting about them? Plus Spotify steams in 320Kbps Ogg Vorbis, which also sounds great and is a lot more convenient.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Yeah but you're not gonna carry around a portable CD player, are you? And they're a pain in the rear end when you're at home compared to just ripping them to FLAC or Apple Lossless and forgetting about them? Plus Spotify steams in 320Kbps Ogg Vorbis, which also sounds great and is a lot more convenient.

I listen to the radio or cd's in the car, but mostly the radio. Hard drives fail, CD's just sit on my shelf. I've tried to rip all my cd's before, THATS a pain in the rear end. I have thousands, and about 1000 records. And I have hundreds I haven't given a good listen to. I don't need spotify.

Pulling a CD off the shelf and putting it in my cd player isn't really what I consider a pain in the rear end.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
At least BigFactory implies that he listens to his records multiple times.

I listen to all of my music either on my computer or ipod. I'm a vinyl "superior-mastering" gambler, buying based on the bet that the mastering is better than CD/digital, ripping the album once, and leaving the poor record to rot back in its sleeves forever.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cheesus posted:

At least BigFactory implies that he listens to his records multiple times.

I listen to all of my music either on my computer or ipod. I'm a vinyl "superior-mastering" gambler, buying based on the bet that the mastering is better than CD/digital, ripping the album once, and leaving the poor record to rot back in its sleeves forever.

The records will still outlast your files with proper maintenance.

And not to be a drag, but for all the work you're going through to rip records, how can you even tell if the mastering is superior if you're listening to it on an ipod? Isn't it mostly people with expensive soundsystems who complain about digital media mastering?

Like are you doing a/b comparisons with digital downloads vs. vinyl rips and vastly preferring the vinyl rip? Seems like so much work.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 19, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

MondayHotDog posted:

said better than i could:

Spermgod posted:

lol at how lame you must be if all the music u wanna listen to is on spotify

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

american nightmare and MOP are on spotify, i have all i need

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ShotgunWillie posted:

I snagged it when it went down to $9. Suckers.

Now 9.99! Snagged one.

MondayHotDog posted:

I know it's sort of popular now to talk about it thanks to Taylor Swift, but there's been a steady tide of artists refusing to put their latest albums on Spotify as soon as they release them. None of the albums I wanted to listen to this year, nor the artists I discovered this year, were on Spotify. So, a month ago I finally canceled my membership. I don't remember it being this bad last year. And I haven't tried Google Play.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

BigFactory posted:

And not to be a drag, but for all the work you're going through to rip records, how can you even tell if the mastering is superior if you're listening to it on an ipod? Isn't it mostly people with expensive soundsystems who complain about digital media mastering?

Like are you doing a/b comparisons with digital downloads vs. vinyl rips and vastly preferring the vinyl rip? Seems like so much work.
It is a lot of work. And no, it's not necessarily true that once can only tell the different with expensive systems. I wouldn't say it's such a degree of difference to advocate everyone do it, however.

For the ipod I listen to in the car, mowing, or running, yes it's not worth it. At my computer (around 80% of the time), it is.

Finally, depending on the distribution, I'll go with high definition digital over vinyl. HDTracks seems to be given the "audiophile" vinyl mastering if the label made such a version.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cheesus posted:

It is a lot of work. And no, it's not necessarily true that once can only tell the different with expensive systems. I wouldn't say it's such a degree of difference to advocate everyone do it, however.

For the ipod I listen to in the car, mowing, or running, yes it's not worth it. At my computer (around 80% of the time), it is.

Finally, depending on the distribution, I'll go with high definition digital over vinyl. HDTracks seems to be given the "audiophile" vinyl mastering if the label made such a version.

I'm not calling bullshit, I do a lot of stupid poo poo and think it's the best, but have you done a real double blind test with this stuff? I'm sure your rip sounds different than a digital download, but I'd be curious if you would consistently prefer the rip.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't actually like music, I just buy a lot of records because I'm a hoarder and I like the way they look stacked next to my pile of Time magazines.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I buy tons of CDs at Half-Price/local shops because they're dirt cheap now and they're the cheapest and easiest legal way to own music I like. I also buy them at shows because it's an easy way for me to support bands I like and opening acts I'm curious about without shelling out $20-$25 for an LP I'll likely play once, maybe twice.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
buy a shirt, they make more money off of them

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
This would only possibly apply to bigger stores, but do artists ever make anything on used sales? I highly highly doubt they would, and since it is all aftermarket, isn't it basically as "evil" as illegally downloading it? Sure, you are taking business away from stores, but you are still not supporting the artist.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

stay depressed posted:

said better than i could:

Almost everything I want that isn't on Spotify is available for free/optional donation. I can only think of two records that aren't.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Fors Yard posted:

This would only possibly apply to bigger stores, but do artists ever make anything on used sales? I highly highly doubt they would, and since it is all aftermarket, isn't it basically as "evil" as illegally downloading it? Sure, you are taking business away from stores, but you are still not supporting the artist.

of course they dont make anything on used sales

if your goal is to 'give back' to the artist, buy it from them

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 19, 2014

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
CDs are kinda neat to me because I never really got into them in the 90s. That said when I buy one from a thrift shop I FLAC it then stick it on the shelf.

Been buying a lot of 45s lately. Don't know why as my current turntable can't even hold pitch at 45rpm. They're just fun.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don't think vinyl sounds as good as cd but then again I don't really care. I'm in the process of giving away about a thousand CDs because they are joyless pieces of poo poo and I regret every dollar I ever spent on one. Now I'll just get vinyl when it's important/cheap/easy or go for digital files the rest of the time.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

tapes own, tape labels own, I listen to a ton of music that ONLY releases on tapes. put that in your pipe and smoke it

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Snowy posted:

I don't think vinyl sounds as good as cd but then again I don't really care. I'm in the process of giving away about a thousand CDs because they are joyless pieces of poo poo and I regret every dollar I ever spent on one. Now I'll just get vinyl when it's important/cheap/easy or go for digital files the rest of the time.

If you post a list (including whether there are particular ones you're not giving away but would rather sell), I'll gladly take a bunch of you. :3:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ernie. posted:

If you post a list (including whether there are particular ones you're not giving away but would rather sell), I'll gladly take a bunch of you. :3:

Sorry I don't want to be a dick but I'm way too busy/lazy to start writing it all down plus I hate my post office. And it's cold.

The fun part about giving away so much stuff is giving it to younger music fans and turning them on to all this good poo poo that I spent a lot of time seeking out. Like a dude at work will be into some classic hip hop so I drop like 50 great old rap albums on him. Or this other guy started getting into dubstep and electro so I gave him a shopping bag filled with jungle/grime/glitch/ambient/etc. Ditto with a budding noise fan. My loss is their gain or so I'd like to think.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

alg posted:

tapes own, tape labels own, I listen to a ton of music that ONLY releases on tapes. put that in your pipe and smoke it

*upvote*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

stay depressed posted:

buy a shirt, they make more money off of them

Sometimes I do this too. Then I go home and smash my disgusting body into the shirts while I listen to the CDs.