Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I just took down Sinh on CoC intensity 3 with a single Red Iron Twinblade. I'm kind of amazed at the durability and sheer DPS of this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Today I learned the Lost Sinner knows how to parry. :psyduck: I've Sunbroed her so many times, and it's neevr procced before.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

How do you fight Lud and whatserface? I can't block nor dodge some of their attacks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jade Mage posted:

How do you fight Lud and whatserface? I can't block nor dodge some of their attacks.

Dodge into everything except the soul mass attack (sprint perpendicular to it) and the aoe (sprint away), don't block anything. Kill the first cat very very fast, you want something with huge DPS. If both cats are attacking you for more than like ten seconds you probably hosed up and will die. Red Iron Twinblade works well but only hit once for every attack the cat makes. The best time to get in a hit is right after dodging through the leaping attack. The NPC phantoms aren't a whole lot of help so dismiss them once you reach the fog gate. Each individual cat is basically no harder than Aava, what makes the fight hard is the pressure you feel after plodding through Frigid Outskirts and the possibility of getting double-teamed.

e: also it helps to go full demons souls and strip naked, armor won't save you and the faster you can roll the better.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I bought the season pass but decided I was going to make a new character and wait for all the dlc to come out so I could do it without the wait. After making it through the sunken crown and to the end of iron crown I've hit a problem and its name is Fume Knight. I've always pulled through hard fights before. I want to complete all of Dark Souls 1 and 2. I've beaten all the optional bosses in both games and though I've gotten stuck fighting some of the really hard stuff I've managed to get through it eventually. I hunkered down when I had the time and was fresh and went at him. Two hours later and I've realized it's just not going to happen. I know his patterns, I know what I need to do, I'm dodging him, two handing him, sometimes getting to his second form, but he's just beyond me to beat. I'm going to have to call it quits. It's super disappointing because he's the boss of the dlc, and getting all three crowns is out of my reach, but there's nothing I can do about that. I don't have the skills.

So I want to ask here, since I've not been spoiled and about to go into Ivory King, does it ever get as bad as Fume Knight again? I don't want to play through it all only to hit a wall as bad as that again, or at least go in knowing I might not see it all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No it doesn't, and for what it's worth the statistics that came out awhile ago said that fume knight has the highest loss rate of any boss in the game so you're not alone.

I beat him with a combination of a greatshield and dodging, you can absolutely block at least a little.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Fume Knight is easily the hardest boss in the game. I lost count of how many times I died to him. even once you learn all his moves there's just so little margin for error.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ok, thanks. Good to know he's that hard. Funny because I got through Vendrick and he was also a boss with simple patterns but hit like a truck. Honestly the hardest thing about Fume was managing stamina. Making sure I had enough to dodge and get that hit in without being greedy. But I'm getting older and my reflexes aren't what they used to be so I guess he's not for me. It is a good fight, though.

edit:said Velstadt, meant Vendrick

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Flubby posted:

Honestly the hardest thing about Fume was managing stamina.
For a lot of the more intense boss fights, I tend to focus my vision more on the stamina gauge than I do on my character.

What sort of gear are you using, and how's your AGL and HP?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

Ok, thanks. Good to know he's that hard. Funny because I got through Vendrick and he was also a boss with simple patterns but hit like a truck. Honestly the hardest thing about Fume was managing stamina. Making sure I had enough to dodge and get that hit in without being greedy. But I'm getting older and my reflexes aren't what they used to be so I guess he's not for me. It is a good fight, though.

edit:said Velstadt, meant Vendrick

Vendrick was just about being really really patient, cause all you had to do really was stay on the opposite side of his sword and maybe do some running around if he decided to jump away from you.

Fume knight was like :stonk:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've only made one attempt at the Fume Knight so far, and I got him down to around 2/3 of his health going in completely blind and I assumed the fight was going to be fairly easy.

Now you've all got me worried :/

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Flubby posted:

sometimes getting to his second form, but he's just beyond me to beat. I'm going to have to call it quits. It's super disappointing because he's the boss of the dlc, and getting all three crowns is out of my reach, but there's nothing I can do about that. I don't have the skills.
Some people (including me) find his second form easier.
If you wanna practice that one put on velstadts hat and fight him again.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Zedd posted:

Some people (including me) find his second form easier.
If you wanna practice that one put on velstadts hat and fight him again.

I just looked this up. So far I had only fought him with that helm on.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what's that sick weapon I see some people using in pvp that makes them do the most easily avoided front flip attack in the world

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cardboard Box posted:

what's that sick weapon I see some people using in pvp that makes them do the most easily avoided front flip attack in the world
Not!-Artorias sword most likely: it's in the old Iron King DLC.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Are we still talking about fume knight, that guy is so hard to play as...

Bogart posted:

Today I learned the Lost Sinner knows how to parry. :psyduck: I've Sunbroed her so many times, and it's neevr procced before.
Do any other bosses parry? That's very surprising, but what's also surprising is getting parried by the regular royal infantry hollows in forest of the giants. I've killed those guys a thousand times on so many runs, and then one day like a bolt out of the blue one of them loving parries my rear end to the floor.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sir Alonne parries, though he doesn't do it very often either.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wait Fume Knight is harder than Darklurker?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't know about the average Dark Souls player, if such a thing exists, but its certainly possible to stack elemental resists to the point that Darklurker becomes much less threatening.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've heard you can also cast the spell-preventing hex on Darklurker to essentially render him useless (he can still use his Soul Greatsword attack, so not entirely crippled).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Senethro posted:

I don't know about the average Dark Souls player, if such a thing exists, but its certainly possible to stack elemental resists to the point that Darklurker becomes much less threatening.

Darklurker is kind of easy if you have a dark-infused Rebel's Greatshield (you only have to watch for his fireballs).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wonder if he's still painfully weak to fire and lightning? I never bother to deal with that poo poo now, but at release you could do crazy damage with Firestorm or just about any damaging miracle.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wonder if he's still painfully weak to fire and lightning? I never bother to deal with that poo poo now, but at release you could do crazy damage with Firestorm or just about any damaging miracle.

I use pyromancies and they work fine.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

darklurker is a scrub compared to fume knight pretty much no matter how you fight them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Must just be me then dark lurker gave me far more trouble as both caster and melee than fume knight did.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The trick to Darklurker is to two-hand your weapon and never lock on or block. Bring resistance rings and have a decent roll and he becomes a piece of cake.

I like to run with cloranthy, dark quartz, the all-resistance ring, and blue tearstone in case I gently caress up

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was getting my rear end handed to me by the Fume Knight and then I realized that fighting him at 1 mil SM before I'd even cleared Castle Drangleic was probably inadvisable and I should come back later.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I've never used Flynn's ring how does that work?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The lower your max equip load, the higher your damage. Basically it rewards you for being genuinely lightly armored (or genuinely encumbered) rather than a Havelflipper.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

I've never used Flynn's ring how does that work?

Its a second Ring of Blades you can wear alongside your first. The ring doesn't care what your weight is, it just looks at how much you can theoretically carry. If your VIT is over 9 it gets less powerful. If you have VIT near 9 and use items with Equip Load bonuses like the Royal Soldiers ring then that also decreases the damage you gain from it.

So basically its a ring for characters who wear light cloth and use rapiers.

Edit: I'm wrong on some numbers, please read posts below!

Senethro fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 20, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Senethro posted:

Its a second Ring of Blades you can wear alongside your first. The ring doesn't care what your weight is, it just looks at how much you can theoretically carry. If your VIT is over 9 it gets less powerful. If you have VIT near 9 and use items with Equip Load bonuses like the Royal Soldiers ring then that also decreases the damage you gain from it.

So basically its a ring for characters who wear light cloth and use rapiers.

Not quite! 9 is the amount of Vit you can have to equip the Third Dragon Ring and still gain the max benefit from Flynn's Ring. The important number is that you have 60 or lower Max Equip Load. If I remember correctly, you hit that number at around 14 Vit without equip load rings.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Would it work with heavier weapons like fume ultra great sword or kings ultragreatsword?

E: I'm thinking along the lines of naked dude wielding a gigantic weapon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Must just be me then dark lurker gave me far more trouble as both caster and melee than fume knight did.

It's because they're difficult for different reasons. Dark Lurker is difficult because it's very difficult to manage two at once, successfully dodging and getting enough attacks in (which is why the favored strategy is some form of "get him down to 50% health, nuke him with fire/lightning when he splits). Fume Knight is very easy to handle, once you know his moveset, but is extremely punishing and will easily oneshot or combo you to death if you're not careful (especially if you're the kind of player that panic rolls/chugs).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Azuth0667 posted:

Would it work with heavier weapons like fume ultra great sword or kings ultragreatsword?

You can use whatever weapon you want with it, really. Just keep in mind that 60 is not a lot of equip load, so heavier weapons mean you get less room for armorfashion.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Azuth0667 posted:

E: I'm thinking along the lines of naked dude wielding a gigantic weapon.

With the Fume UGS only youre at 46%.
60 max load is definitely not much.
But the real point of Flynns ring is boosting fast hitting weapons so that every hit hits more.
It's for DPS while bigger weapons wont see much of an improvement.

Take for example the Fume UGS, at +5 without taking scaling (which is an excellent S/D) into regards it has 403 AR, Flynn makes it 453. Significant but doesn't justify the lessened stamina regen, inferior rolling and lack of fashion choice.
On the other hand a lighter weapon like the estoc at +10 gets bumped up to 260 which is as good or better than some greatswords while still only weighing a scant 3.0 units.

Flynn's isn't that great for heavier weapons.
Though it does free up those VIT points to put into Endurance or Vigor.
(Dont level up Vigor, if you're going full offense might as well die in one hit)

My point is that Flynn's is not right for everyone, please consult your firekeeper before using Flynn's. Side effects may include shortness of breath, decrease in blood platelet level, overconfidence and a general weakness. Try to not get flattened by Havels while using Flynn's.

Oh and flynn's loses 1 point of damage increase for every .5 max load you go over 60.
So technically if youre not a min/maxing maniac you can get to 70 and still get +30, which is then like a RoB+1 but lighter.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 20, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Not quite! 9 is the amount of Vit you can have to equip the Third Dragon Ring and still gain the max benefit from Flynn's Ring. The important number is that you have 60 or lower Max Equip Load. If I remember correctly, you hit that number at around 14 Vit without equip load rings.

Oh! poo poo for some reason I kept reading that as 60% equip load every time people explained it. Now that makes a lot more sense as to why I never get any serious benefit from that ring hah.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
We're now in the running for the highest official honor in video gaming:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Crown of the Mountain Dew.
A Cool Ranchness lingers in the crown...

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's been a good year to be a gamer. That's some tough competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

the highest official honor in video gaming
hahahahaha

Good one! :twisted:

but seriously don't quote Geoff, cheers and have a nice day