Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not as upset as others seem to have been about this match turning into a one-on-one because every in-universe decision that went into it made good, solid character sense. It was useful for the animators, sure, but it didn't really feel shoehorned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, I thought forcing the ring-outs was a solid strategy, personally.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Weird opening, if hilarious that Team Free and the underwater fight were built up like that. Instead, they answered the big question over them, "what if there's no water in the field?" after we assume there's an answer if they got this far.

No mention that the fight didn't end with a super-punch, but a SHINING WIZARD!!

I would have liked to have seen the Zeo Zeong that not-Sleggar totalled. From the parts it looked like it was a Neo Zeong with original Zeong head and colours, could have been cool.

Next ep looks great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not as upset as others seem to have been about this match turning into a one-on-one because every in-universe decision that went into it made good, solid character sense. It was useful for the animators, sure, but it didn't really feel shoehorned.

Agreed. His two buddies driving them out of the ring was a pretty solid strategy to get them out of the way, because it's pretty obvious that both thought they were useless in a stand-up fight.

The real problem with having a three-on-three fight is that there's almost always going to be two fights that are more-or-less paused. It kills a lot of the energy when you realize two fights are just back-and-forthing mindlessly without any tension while you're watching the third. The other is that Team TRY Fighters isn't three Gundams, it's two Gundams and The Special One. It's pretty much guaranteed to win almost flawlessly, because they don't have a way to fix something that fancy. Though it'll be interesting to see if any of the damage stuck from that really excellent fight

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 19, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed. His two buddies driving them out of the ring was a pretty solid strategy to get them out of the way, because it's pretty obvious that both thought they were useless in a stand-up fight.

The real problem with having a three-on-three fight is that there's almost always going to be two fights that are more-or-less paused. It kills a lot of the energy when you realize two fights are just back-and-forthing mindlessly without any tension while you're watching the third. The other is that Team TRY Fighters isn't three Gundams, it's two Gundams and The Special One. It's pretty much guaranteed to win almost flawlessly, because they don't have a way to fix something that fancy. Though it'll be interesting to see if any of the damage stuck from that really excellent fight

I think it might, it seems bound to come up given we keep seeing Yuuma working on Lighting, which seemed to take a pretty bad spill on the ring-out. I think the next ep or two the team will be dealing with repairs (Winning looked ok, it's probably more solid than the rest) and observing the Girl's School against G-Master to establish not-Sleggar.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ten years and five shows later, the Destiny finally gets a good fight.

I'm tearing up guys

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Fight this week was ridiculously hype. Slugfests are the best.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it might, it seems bound to come up given we keep seeing Yuuma working on Lighting, which seemed to take a pretty bad spill on the ring-out. I think the next ep or two the team will be dealing with repairs (Winning looked ok, it's probably more solid than the rest) and observing the Girl's School against G-Master to establish not-Sleggar.

I'm also hoping that Build Burning needs repairs/upgrades now, it would be cool to see how Sekai's imagination would change the design a bit.

I am so ready for Victory with two anti-ship swords, that thing looks rad as hell. Not-Sleggar's G-Fighter also looks awesome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm not sure whether the next episode will be selling Sleggar or Gyanko more. I mean, the show has been indicating that Song Dynasty Vase has basically everything going against them - we already know they're not as good as Try Fighters, and they're going up against a heavily-hyped team with a deadly new ace pilot. That's generally a recipe for a one-minute curb-stomp, and yet the battle's getting its own episode. That implies that our favourite Zeon enthusiast is going to either pull an against-all-odds victory or go down like an absolute monster.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That was a really good episode but the sounds of those kits getting knocked out and crashing to the floor brought back a torrent of bad memories. :gonk:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ok, so it was a giant cliche but, we finally met a team other than Try Fighters with actual motivation that added subtext to a battle! And although it still felt rushed and they're still having issues with the size of the battles it was pretty rad.

Also fewer random cutaways to other people that don't have anything to say. I like this episode, and hopefully the series is finding it's stride.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Duh, of course not-Sleggar pilots the G-Fighter from the OP. Why didn't I make that connection a week ago? This doesn't bode well for Team Song Dynasty Vase.

Rad episode as a whole, though.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 19, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, people were on the money when they guessed that, based on the small clues when we first saw the Destiny, that it was a straight by the manual build without much polish. That is actually really neat, since they were able to foreshadow it in a way that those in the know would understood, but without it being so blatant either.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

Ok, so it was a giant cliche but, we finally met a team other than Try Fighters with actual motivation that added subtext to a battle! And although it still felt rushed and they're still having issues with the size of the battles it was pretty rad.

Also fewer random cutaways to other people that don't have anything to say. I like this episode, and hopefully the series is finding it's stride.

Yeah for sure, definite improvement over how they setup the previous battles. Even if the way they made the fight a 1v1 was corny as hell, at least it resulted in the best fight so far so I can't complain. Choreography was pretty slick on this one, especially compared to the past few fights which were sloppy in that regard. Also nice to see the team with no personality was fought in the intro instead of being hyped up all episode as a serious threat!

I rolled my eyes at the melodrama this episode though, not only was that hella cliche but it felt like it was trying to be sad for the sake of being sad. It really doesn't help that season 1 had a similar situation that was revealed to be a big joke at the end. It really encapsulates how Try is taking everything more seriously and I just don't like it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This episode showcased the majestic beauty of the Destiny gundam, and for that if nothing else, it was a good episode. Making it more of a 1v1 episode also helped greatly. Hopefully the next times they do it other characters who aren't Sekai will get the spotlight. I look forward to seeing what Simon will do with a customized, better built gunpla.

Now to dread Gyanko's probable impending loss to team No Personalities for a week :(.

Edit: The show still badly needs a Fellini, though. Lady, you're our only hope for that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 19, 2014

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Shimon is a boxer. His brother builds Gunplas straight out the box. Eh? Eh?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

Shimon is a boxer. His brother builds Gunplas straight out the box. Eh? Eh?

Straight punches with a straight build.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I liked this episode a lot of a lot.

I'm also the biggest hypocrite cause I said I always wanted the show to be more humorous and less like a straight sports anime, but I would totally watch an Ashita no Joe esque drama of a former boxer trying to win the nationals only using the models his seriously sick brother builds and the teammates who lag behind but he loves them with all his heart anyways. I'm kinda sad they gave me a taste of it and now I realize thats what I always wanted instead.

I dare anybody to say they wouldn't.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 19, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

No half steps though, you have to go full out one way or the other or the premise gets muddled.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
This episode was heavier on the drama, but only from those secondary to said drama; Sekai kinda realized this, and that's why both he and Simon didn't get caught up in it. I liked that.

Opponents going for a ring-out works because of that, too; Yuuma and Fumina hesitated, and their opponents were driven to do that because of it. They know they're useless in a real fight, so let the pro handle things as best he can.

And the Destiny gets a fight it deserves. Good for it. :unsmith:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I recall it being mentioned awhile back that Try has been lighter on Gundam references, though it seems like they're branching out to mecha references in general. Besides those pics from awhile back, this week we have Shimon/Simon, his little brother Mamoru, and one of his teammates was named Kouji. I forget the name of his other teammate but I bet he's another reference.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Team Coach Ms. Emma rushes to the arena to tell Simon that even though he didn't win the world tournament, his brother was finally discharged from the hospital, but it is too late.

Simon has already passed on from the wounds received in the most brutal and intense gunpla title bout of all time.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that was a cool fight but there was absolutely zero tension to it because you knew that no matter how cool the interesting new character is, they can't win against the main characters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

muike posted:

that was a cool fight but there was absolutely zero tension to it because you knew that no matter how cool the interesting new character is, they can't win against the main characters.

True, but we did get the Build Burning taking some damage from it, which is as much as you can ask for.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I hope the Destiny Impulse does get a showing though. Shimon seemed like they might bring him back so I look forward to that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Good episode, love a nice slobberknocker. Wonder if the Build Burning is gonna show any actual damage from that (Damage level still set to B I assume).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
That opening was absolutely fantastic. Team Cross Blades has been avenged through the whims of the Random Number Gods, and all is right with the world. (I assume based on how the bracket was set up that it was Team Cross Blades vs. Team Free in the previous round.)

Also, the rest of the episode kicked rear end, too. I'm actually a bit surprised that Yuuma's conscience caused him to hesitate there during the fight. Apparently he's a bit softer than his facade would indicate.

Darth Walrus posted:

That implies that our favourite Zeon enthusiast is going to either pull an against-all-odds victory or go down like an absolute monster.

My guess is that she's going to lose, but she's not going to go down without giving Team G-Master a hell of a fight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

the cross counter was cool, but i agree

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it was cool but it was like I know it's ultimately inconsequential and that takes a lot of the weight out of it.

I did literally say "CROSS COUNTER" irl though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What, no love for team Babylonia?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

Yeah it was cool but it was like I know it's ultimately inconsequential and that takes a lot of the weight out of it.

I did literally say "CROSS COUNTER" irl though

I thought they might do something crazy and like have sekais notions of martial superiority challenged by a better fighter, even if that dude still ended up losing, but then as it went a bit further on I realized haha naw.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They can only allot one bit of characterization per episode, and this time it was so Sekai went to hang out with the guy who actually built the gunpla to tell him he was going to get rekt which is cool.

as long as as sekai can put "jigen haoh" before something you cannot outpunch him

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

I hope the Destiny Impulse does get a showing though. Shimon seemed like they might bring him back so I look forward to that.

He be back and stronger than ever because his gunpla will have a little paint on it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
paint is like ablative armor and magnetic coating

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

muike posted:

They can only allot one bit of characterization per episode, and this time it was so Sekai went to hang out with the guy who actually built the gunpla to tell him he was going to get rekt which is cool.

as long as as sekai can put "jigen haoh" before something you cannot outpunch him

shimon sullied his technique with ranged weapons. he was yet another fool who did not truly understand the way of the fist, and he lost his match because of it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't worry the kid was building a Destiny Impulse, Shimon will be back.

Just, ya know. Someone get that kid a Gundam Marker, and a file, and some clearcoat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yuuma visited off camera, and instead of burning spirit or flowers, he brought the kid modeling supplies.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That hospital's security is unbelievably terrible or they don't care because he's THAT sick

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

muike posted:

That hospital's security is unbelievably terrible or they don't care because he's THAT sick

If I'm stuck in a hospital for that long they had better let me have my modelling supplies.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah that Izuna kid? He has Space AIDS like Ghinias from 08th MS team, so you can just let anyone visit him as long as they don't have Zaku models. You would not believe the poo poo he has attached to Zakus. It's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Paint fumes would be the last thing I want in the vicinity of a bedridden sick kid.

• Locked thread