Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I think Chris Hardwick is a perfectly fine host for @midnight, but the times when he gets super awkwardly nerdy make me cringe like no other. Like when the first DLC for Bioshock: Infinite came out he practically orgasmed briefly mentioning it on the show.

edit: Also if they could get Michael Chiklis for the Luther remake I think that would turn out pretty drat watchable.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Hating Felicia Day is the stupidest thing that nerds do. She's like, the least hate-able celebrity I can think of next to like, Keith David or Morgan Freeman or something.

There's been on again off again rumors that Freeman is banging his step granddaughter for at least the past three years or so. Which is sorta ick.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe posted:

She said she crossed the street when she saw two gamers walking down the sidewalk, which is either an incredibly funny joke or a sad testament to her intelligence.

Irish Joe post, I know, but...

Her point was that she now feels alienated from her favorite pastime. How would you feel if there was a very vocal minority of women who were sending death threats and doxxing prominent male television fans? I bet if you saw two women walking down the street wearing Big Bang Theory shirts you'd probably cross the street too.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Not entirely surprising, but good to hear:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/18/tbs-american-dad-more-episodes/

TBS orders another season of American Dad.

Now if we can only get them to revive The Cleveland Show we'll be set...

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The Nastier Nate posted:

Now if we can only get them to revive The Cleveland Show we'll be set...

I think I'm fine with that one staying dead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Cleveland Show had some funny episodes. Funnier than most recent Family Guy, I thought.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

The Cleveland Show had some funny episodes. Funnier than most recent Family Guy, I thought.

Is there anything on tv that wasn't funnier than family guy though?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I thought the Cleveland Show was alright at first, then it quickly became pretty good and fun for like a season and a half, then it kinda crashed and it stopped being entertaining to me completely. At its peak the show had a really energetic pace and a lot of good, original jokes. But I would not want it back because nothing comes back as good as its peak, and there is nothing inherently interesting or high-concept about the show, it was just that the execution was on-point for a while.

I am glad to see more American Dad but it has not been that good lately. I am hoping they are growing pains as they figure stuff out with getting shuffled to another network and whatever behind-the-scenes bullshit that may or may not entail. It's still decent but when AD is good it is drop-dead hilarious to me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

IRQ posted:

Is there anything on tv that wasn't funnier than family guy though?

Manhattan Love Story for starters, it wasn't even that funny to begin with. At least with what little I've seen of FG the past few years at least they set up jokes even if they mostly fall flat.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Is there not a Newsroom season 3 thread? It's already two episodes in.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Liam Emsa posted:

Is there not a Newsroom season 3 thread? It's already two episodes in.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669533
:effort:

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

Weird, I searched for "news" on every single page in Firefox. Not sure why it didn't show up. thanks.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Duke posted:

I think Chris Hardwick is a perfectly fine host for @midnight, but the times when he gets super awkwardly nerdy make me cringe like no other. Like when the first DLC for Bioshock: Infinite came out he practically orgasmed briefly mentioning it on the show.

This is probably the main reason why nerds don't like nerds getting popular and successful. It means you have to listen to the embarrassing poo poo you find cool and realize just how embarrassing the stuff is. However, I do like seeing them succeed with the poo poo I like, despite it being embarrassing, juvenile poo poo. Hardwick, Wheaton, Day getting famous and making a good living by selling and promoting the stuff I like, even if they aren't the second coming of Jack Nicholson in terms of acting? Hell, yeah, more power to them.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

How would you feel if there was a very vocal minority of women who were sending death threats and doxxing prominent male television fans? I bet if you saw two women walking down the street wearing Big Bang Theory shirts you'd probably cross the street too.

If I took every threat directed towards me (online and off) seriously, I'd probably never leave the house. However, there's a difference between credible threats and mere bluster. The guy who chases me on the road for 10 miles because I cut him off, and then steps out of his car with a baseball bat when I stop, is a credible threat. The guy on the other side of the country who spends 8 hours a day on Steam posting death threats on Twitter isn't.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Decius posted:

This is probably the main reason why nerds don't like nerds getting popular and successful. It means you have to listen to the embarrassing poo poo you find cool and realize just how embarrassing the stuff is. However, I do like seeing them succeed with the poo poo I like, despite it being embarrassing, juvenile poo poo. Hardwick, Wheaton, Day getting famous and making a good living by selling and promoting the stuff I like, even if they aren't the second coming of Jack Nicholson in terms of acting? Hell, yeah, more power to them.

I like Hardwick, but the exact thing you just stated is probably what I like least. Chris Hardwick salivating over a video game is pandering, and there are too many people in nerddom who will pick up a video game box and make the Homer Simpson salivating noise because it's a special edition or release day or something. It's that stuff that is embarrassing.

That being said, @midnight could almost definitely have a higher appeal amongst viewers with a different host, but it wouldn't have gotten made in the first place and the increase in quality would probably be met with lower viewership. Also the Reno 911 ep is p good, though the surprise felt overly scripted and pandering again.

That being said, I'm still guilty of positive associations with people I don't know simply through shared consumption habits. It's a good way to meet people and discover other things you may like. Maybe the difference is I'm not trying to meet new friends when I'm watching @midnight, I'm trying to watch a funny show.

Edit:

Irish Joe posted:

If I took every threat directed towards me (online and off) seriously, I'd probably never leave the house. However, there's a difference between credible threats and mere bluster. The guy who chases me on the road for 10 miles because I cut him off, and then steps out of his car with a baseball bat when I stop, is a credible threat. The guy on the other side of the country who spends 8 hours a day on Steam posting death threats on Twitter isn't.

From anyone else, comparing the level of online animosity they could get to Felicia Day would be at best narcissistic, for you I'd say it is about right. Never stop. :)

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 19, 2014

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

lelandjs posted:

How would you feel if there was a very vocal minority of women who were sending death threats and doxxing prominent male television fans?

I'd laugh until I cried

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

less laughter posted:

I'd laugh until I cried

Your username belies this post.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The sub plot involves the lead female character being away, and one of the guys accidentally spilling a dark alcoholic drink over one of her possessions that he shouldn't be around, so his friends scramble to rectify the situation without her finding out. Am I talking about last nights New Girl, or last nights Mindy Project?

Both! Ouch, maybe best not to run two episodes with the same plot line next to each other.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kaizoku posted:

That being said, I'm still guilty of positive associations with people I don't know simply through shared consumption habits.

Isn't "having something in common" just like... a normal way that people associate with each other?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Guys, I think Faking It might be my favorite comedy on the air right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does Faking It pick up after the first episode or is it pretty constant? I remember not hating it but it getting on my nerves a little. Not adverse to trying a few more episodes though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Nielsen's is going to start tracking Amazon and Netflix ratings. No those companies aren't releasing viewership data they are going to "use the content's audio to determine which content is being streamed". This is the stupidest goddamn thing for a billion reasons, not the least of which is that streaming content is the content most likely to be watched on non-TV platforms. gently caress off forever and stop ruining TV the Nielsens.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
How exactly would that work with the audio? I really don't understand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess like Shazam?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the original WSJ article is behind a paywall but this article posts a few excerpts from it that makes it sound like nielsen's idea is dumb and will fail

http://deadline.com/2014/11/nielsen-measure-netflix-amazon-prime-svod-1201288552/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

How exactly would that work with the audio? I really don't understand.

There are pretty drat accurate methods of doing this, some of which may already be running on your phone without your knowledge. There's also that one that will identify a song for you, etc. Given that they only (presumably) plan to track netflix/amazon original content it's not hard at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember the Nielsen box is Always Listening.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

(and probably the NSA)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everyone except the advertising industry has known Nielson are dumb idiots for years, this is just them gently reminding us.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

The sub plot involves the lead female character being away, and one of the guys accidentally spilling a dark alcoholic drink over one of her possessions that he shouldn't be around, so his friends scramble to rectify the situation without her finding out. Am I talking about last nights New Girl, or last nights Mindy Project?

Both! Ouch, maybe best not to run two episodes with the same plot line next to each other.

Eh, they were both just a macguffin to push character development in different directions so I'm ok with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Everyone except the advertising industry has known Nielson are dumb idiots for years, this is just them gently reminding us.

I dunno why they are even going out of their way to measure ratings for networks that don't have advertisers. Premium shows make sense because hell, the equipment is already on the TV so why not but to cook up a way to measure these stats just doesn't make sense.

Have Amazon or Netflix ever said what percentage of their content is watched streamed to computers, phones and tablets?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I dunno why they are even going out of their way to measure ratings for networks that don't have advertisers. Premium shows make sense because hell, the equipment is already on the TV so why not but to cook up a way to measure these stats just doesn't make sense.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some production houses want to know what kind of cash they're actually making so they can negotiate with Netflix/Amazon accordingly but there's a lot of holes in that logic. Someone must be willing to pay for that data though, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

The only thing I can think of is maybe some production houses want to know what kind of cash they're actually making so they can negotiate with Netflix/Amazon accordingly but there's a lot of holes in that logic. Someone must be willing to pay for that data though, right?

I'm sure that Netflix/Amazon reveal their stats to business partners. The thing is, all of Nielsen's ridiculous and outmoded modeling can't hold a candle to the tracking data Netflix has, which is exactly perfect and accurate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Did you learn nothing from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks as if Gotham has seen all the jokes everywhere about shoving in too many wink-wink nudge-nudge cute comic references and is going to respond by reigning it in a bit and doing a story about Robin's parents.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/19/gotham-robin/

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Netflix won't even revel information to the Canadian government who where threatening them with a huge tax, I don't think anyone has seen viewship data from them.

Deadpool posted:

Looks as if Gotham has seen all the jokes everywhere about shoving in too many wink-wink nudge-nudge cute comic references and is going to respond by reigning it in a bit and doing a story about Robin's parents.

They are just loving with us at this point.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does Faking It pick up after the first episode or is it pretty constant? I remember not hating it but it getting on my nerves a little. Not adverse to trying a few more episodes though.

In a big way. I was pretty annoyed by the first episode too; everyone was stiff, everything felt contrived, and I was really only sticking with it because lesbians.

After that, though, the jokes IMMEDIATELY start to land, the acting improves, you actually buy the two leads as lifelong BFFs, and the story moves FAST. To be fair, it remains more of a guilty pleasure through the first season, but the finale blows it all up. They hit a reset button for Season 2, but the premiere felt like showrunner Carter Covington saying "Okay, we're all agreed that pretending to be gay for social status is a really horrible and borderline offensive idea, right? Good, because I've been dying to start the REAL show."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ I only watched the first episode of season 1 and it seemed to me like "the real show" had already started because one of the girls clearly is actually a lesbian.

Deadpool posted:

Whoah whoah whoah. Riddler's girlfriend is coming up? I didn't know the Riddler ever had a girlfriend.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

In a big way. I was pretty annoyed by the first episode too; everyone was stiff, everything felt contrived, and I was really only sticking with it because lesbians.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Netflix won't even revel information to the Canadian government who where threatening them with a huge tax, I don't think anyone has seen viewship data from them.

They are just loving with us at this point.

Is the character playing Robin also 15-20 years older than Bruce?

• Locked thread