Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
I listened to the last couple Abject Sufferings (great show btw) over the weekend and in one of them "Dirty Little Helper" came up (don't remember which episode/game, sorry).
One of the FAQ writers didn't want his FAQ included on DLH.net, which made Gary and Cole wonder, what a german gaming news site had to do with walkthroughs.
Short Version: "Dirty Little Helper" was a program distributed through BBS at first, later in some german gaming and general PC magazines. It's purpose was accessing a database with a collection of walkthroughs/cheats for every known game (so they claimed). The database was updated regularly.
The only point of the software itself was reading what amounted to a collection of *.txt files.
The longer history is here (in english).

Not mentioned on the site:
There were actually basic and premium versions (premium being paid). That's probably the reason why aforementioned writer didn't want his FAQ included, I doubt DLH paid anyone but themselves.
I mainly remember Dirty Little Helper from the late 90s, when you could get every PC game for free on your schoolyard and the necessary manual through (a also pirated) DLH.

ps: until now I had actually no idea, that DLH.net was connected to Dirty Little Helper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
For functional purposes, "Dirty Little Helper" must be spoken in the most over-the-top Sprockets voice possible.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Congrats on reaching another pateron milestone the other day, duckfeed.tv peeps. And I'm glad that the donate link for your livestream event this week is now working, I originally thought it wasn't going live until the event started but now it works and I was able to kick you some money. I can't wait, it should be fun and I hope I get a chance to watch some of it live.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Thank you on both counts (for the congratulations, and for the donation).

I suppose this is a good place to put a reminder: This Friday and Saturday (November 21 and 22) we're holding a live streaming charity event called Duckstream to raise money for the Transactive Gender Center.

The Friday Night shift (9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific to 9am Eastern / 6pm Pacific) is headed up by the Portland crew. Watch Gary, Nick, and Brayton play Isaac co-op, do Dark Souls speed runs, and other such things.

The Saturday Day shift (9am Eastern / 6am Pacific to 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific) is headed up by the Cincinnati crew. I'll play and beat Haunting Ground, then David and Dennis from the Level will join me to play co-op jamz, likely one of the Dungeons and Dragons arcade beat-em-ups.

It's a fantastic cause and we're all super excited to hop on the mic and play some games. Don't be afraid to participate in chat and such. If you can't watch live, we'll find a way to get it on Youtube for posterity.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
Thumbs listeners: The bizarre bit at the end of the recent episode about pools in the Sims reminded me that on another recent episode, someone (I think Nick) had been talking about some bizarre Sims expansion that was funny for some reason. I meant to look into it when I got home but forgot about it.
Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Agree with Knuckles looking like the Predator alien. I was thinking that his hair was being purposefully styled to look like dredlocks or something, to give him a more "urban" feel.

And Binding of Isaac has always reminded me of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comics, minus the breathless ranting.

It's been that way for a while, ever since the mid-90s when they introduced that the echidnas were an ancient race of vaguely American Indian protectors of the chaos emeralds, complete with Aztec-ish tribes and ziggurats.

Sonic has always been loving embarrassing, I just want to enjoy my Genesis games in peace.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Manny Calavera posted:

Thumbs listeners: The bizarre bit at the end of the recent episode about pools in the Sims reminded me that on another recent episode, someone (I think Nick) had been talking about some bizarre Sims expansion that was funny for some reason. I meant to look into it when I got home but forgot about it.
Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

This, I think:

https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/483625602747203585

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

If not that, then this:

https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/483224360418041856

al-azad
May 28, 2009

God, we need more reviewers like this.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

al-azad posted:

It's been that way for a while, ever since the mid-90s when they introduced that the echidnas were an ancient race of vaguely American Indian protectors of the chaos emeralds, complete with Aztec-ish tribes and ziggurats.

Sonic has always been loving embarrassing, I just want to enjoy my Genesis games in peace.

Someone in a bsa post-a-panel thread had a long effort post about this and it is entirely the work of the writer Archie Comics brought in to run their Sonic Comics. It is basically professional deviant art work that only came out in N. America while Sega was busy not giving a gently caress. After they fired him for being awful, he sued everyone involved for control of his original characters (do not steal) which had some weird legal things happen because Sega was really concerned about the outcome but didn't want to be directly involved. Archie very nearly lost the liscence over it.

Apparently the UK Sonic the Comic comics were very good.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm listening to back podcasts of The Level and in the one about Bioshock Infinite I found it hilarious that the motive behind the political stuff in that game really WAS "maybe the truth about politics is, like, in the middle man". Complete with awed statements like 'working conditions in the 1800s really sucked ... but so did communists!!!!!!' Like that wasn't the result of not caring or poor writing or whatever, that was actually 100% the writers' intended message

Maybe I'm just being a dick here, and obviously it's just a video game, but it's a game people were touting as insightful commentary

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 19, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's pretty hilarious considering the first Bioshock was taking the piss out of Ayn Rand and it was interpreted as Objectivism and Ayn Rand are The Raddest by the audience.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also revealed in that podcast, Elizabeth was originally supposed to nearly silent and extremely naive to the point of requiring the protagonist to explain what guns and cotton candy are, even more like an anime waifu. The writers cut that out when they recorded the lines and animations and even they saw how bad it was

They really should have just stuck to survival horror with that franchise

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 19, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If the intent was to actually present a "truth is in the middle" argument, it did a poor job. Nothing lampoons that argument better than presenting it 100 years removed, where the middle is in a very different place.

Like, if they did a south park episode about slavers and abolitionists, and at the end of the episode, there was a monologue about how both sides have merit, that would be seen as a parody of that approach to issues.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea

Hahahahah that's what they were talking about.
Thank you both for getting the links.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Hey bonfire dudes, just curious, are you guys in touch with Elajjaz? He's my favourite speedrunner to watch by a reasonable margin and is just a chill dude in general. I think he'd be a lot of fun as a guest as well if you manage it at some point.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Osmosisch posted:

Hey bonfire dudes, just curious, are you guys in touch with Elajjaz? He's my favourite speedrunner to watch by a reasonable margin and is just a chill dude in general. I think he'd be a lot of fun as a guest as well if you manage it at some point.

I've watched something by him but I can't recall what. I'll look into him a little more and put him on the list of people to reach out to about Bloodborne. Thanks for the headsup!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

I'm listening to back podcasts of The Level and in the one about Bioshock Infinite I found it hilarious that the motive behind the political stuff in that game really WAS "maybe the truth about politics is, like, in the middle man". Complete with awed statements like 'working conditions in the 1800s really sucked ... but so did communists!!!!!!' Like that wasn't the result of not caring or poor writing or whatever, that was actually 100% the writers' intended message

Maybe I'm just being a dick here, and obviously it's just a video game, but it's a game people were touting as insightful commentary

The level on which it worked for me was totally ignoring all the political stuff and perceiving it as a story about Booker's journey, how the concept of religion plays into that, the notion of whether you can be redeemed for things just by saying you're sorry, etc; it was imperfect at that too, of course, but much more compelling

I think someone who touted the game's politics as insightful would have to be kind of loving crazy, and the idea that the developers intended that political stuff to mean anything instead of simply being a thing to set the character drama against is just... dang

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Woffle posted:

I've watched something by him but I can't recall what. I'll look into him a little more and put him on the list of people to reach out to about Bloodborne. Thanks for the headsup!

Cool to hear! He's had the best time for all-bosses runs in DS2 on several occasions. I prefer those over the any% runs because those are just skipping too much cool content for my taste. You might have watched one of those.

He's also got some pretty amusing invasion videos involving gimmick characters/techniques, like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEXabqeXQCM

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Pokémon segment on the latest Thumbs is out of this world. The Thumbs' ridiculous bewilderment about everything and Danielle patiently explaining everything was so good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just listened to Idle Thumbs 98 & 99 over the weekend while at the gym. Looked at the games list for this week's? Zafehouse Diaries. What was discussed on Idle Thumbs 98? Zafehouse Diaries.

what the fuckkkkkk

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
This is not entirely relevant, but some people on here might be interested. Matt Lees of Daft Souls and other game related junk is talking on twitter about how he won't be collaborating with perpetual embarrassment machine Total Biscuit anymore. It's kind of delicious for anyone vaguely following game people drama.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

This is not entirely relevant, but some people on here might be interested. Matt Lees of Daft Souls and other game related junk is talking on twitter about how he won't be collaborating with perpetual embarrassment machine Total Biscuit anymore. It's kind of delicious for anyone vaguely following game people drama.

What has totalbiscuit done now?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

What has totalbiscuit done now?

Besides being pro-gamergate since that was a thing, the other day he posted a huge dumb post about how he thinks white privilege doesn't exist.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stan Taylor posted:

Besides being pro-gamergate since that was a thing, the other day he posted a huge dumb post about how he thinks white privilege doesn't exist.
Man didn't nobody ever tell him, "you never go full monocle, man!"

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Stan Taylor posted:

He apparently believes this while also believing (I've heard this from several people but not bothered to look for it myself) that it's racist that villains are often voiced by British people.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Don't have an exact quote, but he recently said something among the lines of death threats against people like Anita Sarkeesian not being credible because no one died. He thinks because he can handle harassment by shoving his fingers in his ears, everyone else should too.

Edit: He also listed Polygon's review for Gone Home as an example of problems with video game ethics, because the reviewer was a friend of the contracted composer for the game (a certain Christopher B. Remo*).

Because you know, it's about ethics in video game journalism and YouTubers are all very concerned about ethics.

*Boost

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 19, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ah, good stuff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Every time TB says something really stupid on twitter I always reply to him with a link to his infamous IQ post here on SA. It never gets old.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Just a reminder that Totalbiscuit spent a year making GBS threads blood before thinking he should maybe go to a doctor.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Also worth noting since we're in the podcast thread and GFW was the best, Total Biscuit told on Shawn Elliott in an unsurprisingly gross and self-absorbed way.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I always forget just how long he has consistently been a huge tool. Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Haha, I remember when I felt sorry for TotalBiscuit at one point because he was having some troubles with his wife due to green cards or something. It's really hard to feel bad for him now when he's doing his damndest to be as big a stupid piece of poo poo as he possibly can.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Also worth noting since we're in the podcast thread and GFW was the best, Total Biscuit told on Shawn Elliott in an unsurprisingly gross and self-absorbed way.

ACTUALLY, IT WASN'T DURING BIOSHOCK INFINITE'S RELEASE TIMEFRAME IT WAS ONE JULY 5TH IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2013 AND

vvv - have you seen his IQ?

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 19, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Just a reminder that Totalbiscuit spent a year making GBS threads blood before thinking he should maybe go to a doctor.

Denial and terror of your own mortality are powerful things and not something you should mock somebody over.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Knowing literally nothing about this beyond what I just read on his blog, that blog post is about as unprofessional as posting on social media saying somebody is loving gross. Whether or not TB should have had his PR department respond the way they did is another matter, but certainly Shawn Elliott doesn't come off very well from it. (The guy who cries about being told on isn't better than the guy doing the telling.)

I assume there are better examples of him being a tool (ie. that hilarious IQ post).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

If the intent was to actually present a "truth is in the middle" argument, it did a poor job. Nothing lampoons that argument better than presenting it 100 years removed, where the middle is in a very different place.

Like, if they did a south park episode about slavers and abolitionists, and at the end of the episode, there was a monologue about how both sides have merit, that would be seen as a parody of that approach to issues.

South Park actually had an episode like this. Cartman imagines himself in Egypt during the plagues. Pharaoh can't let the Jews go because it would cripple the economy meanwhile the Hebrews are slaughtering baby lambs to paint their houses while the first born Egyptians are getting their heads blown off by the last plague.

Of course the joke is Cartman is terrible but the biggest joke of South Park as a whole is that idiots take him seriously despite being the butt of every joke.

Jonny Nox posted:

Someone in a bsa post-a-panel thread had a long effort post about this and it is entirely the work of the writer Archie Comics brought in to run their Sonic Comics. It is basically professional deviant art work that only came out in N. America while Sega was busy not giving a gently caress. After they fired him for being awful, he sued everyone involved for control of his original characters (do not steal) which had some weird legal things happen because Sega was really concerned about the outcome but didn't want to be directly involved. Archie very nearly lost the liscence over it.

Apparently the UK Sonic the Comic comics were very good.

Somebody at Sega of Japan must have thought it was a good idea because Sonic Adventure introduced the Knuckles Tribe and it only spun out from there.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Danielle just started streaming Far Cry 4 on the Idle Thumbs twitch page. She's streaming PS4, however, so chances of it being archived are very low!

Just started about 5 minutes ago from what I can tell.

http://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's amazing how a game you take your time on ends up being good and not a buggy, embarrassing mess you have to halfheartedly apologize for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

I just read his thing. :stare:

Surprised he isn't retweeting UKIP poo poo as well

• Locked thread