Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Is Alpha House good? I may need to watch. I know it has John Goodman but I've been burned too many times before on Washington-politics-TV shows.

It is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If the opening scene of the pilot doesn't get you, then boy I don't know.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Pierson posted:

Is Alpha House good? I may need to watch. I know it has John Goodman but I've been burned too many times before on Washington-politics-TV shows.

It is live action Doonesbury.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mu Zeta posted:

The work Tommy Salami did on Sports Night is incredible. I had no idea that was one huge set and that they filmed in front of a studio audience.

Wait, this isn't true, is it? There's no way there was a studio audience in most of those shots, there's no room/rooms clearly have 4 walls. And the laugh track in the first season was, I thought, added in post (possibly by showing the footage to an audience and recording the laughter). Plus it's gone by the second season.

There's no way it was filmed in front of a studio audience. Unless that's the joke, in which case I'll shut up.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, this isn't true, is it? There's no way there was a studio audience in most of those shots, there's no room/rooms clearly have 4 walls. And the laugh track in the first season was, I thought, added in post (possibly by showing the footage to an audience and recording the laughter). Plus it's gone by the second season.

There's no way it was filmed in front of a studio audience. Unless that's the joke, in which case I'll shut up.

Entertainment Weekly posted:

When the cast started filming in the summer of 1998, ABC insisted on a live audience and a laugh track. Sorkin and Schlamme disagreed but couldn’t overrule the network.

SORKIN: We were engaged in a back-and-forth with the network because we didn’t want to do it in front of a live audience for two reasons: Once you do it in front of a live audience, you have to use a laugh track, because you’re going to be mixing different takes, and the laughs are going to be different in sizes and sounds, so you have to use a laugh track to smooth that over. The other reason we didn’t want a live audience was that we didn’t have a traditional multi-camera set. There were a lot of parts of the set that the audience couldn’t see. The audience wasn’t able to see the studio or the control room. The audience wasn’t able to see Isaac’s office or Dan and Casey’s office. Well, that’s most of the show.

LLOYD: There was a lot we couldn’t film in front of an audience, so we just sat there and read the rest of the script to them. It was its own comedy in trying to say, “Oh, we’re going to pretend we’re really doing this for you!”

MALINA: To me, it’s kind of a split thing: “Am I playing to the 50 people over there? Or am I trying to give a performance for the millions of people out there?”

HUFFMAN: I loved doing it in front of an audience, but I hated the laugh track. It cheapened it.

SORKIN: The network was looking for any touchstones that would make it feel like more of a traditional half hour, and one of them was the laugh track. By the second season, they said, “You don’t have to use it anymore.” On those occasions when I go back and watch an old episode, that laugh track sounds so terrible.

MALINA: Would The Office have worked with a laugh track? No. At the time, studio executives were going, “You don’t want to have a laugh track? But how are people going to know that it’s funny?”

Sports Night - An Oral History

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Nobody knew what the hell to do with a single camera sitcom in 1998.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

What the hell? So they read the script out loud for the audience, recorded the laugh track, then added it to the episode? That's the dumbest TV...thing I think I've ever heard.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thrawn527 posted:

What the hell? So they read the script out loud for the audience, recorded the laugh track, then added it to the episode? That's the dumbest TV...thing I think I've ever heard.

You'd think that, but there's a series called Selfie airing on ABC.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No, Selfie has been cancelled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, there's live performances like that of material all over. It's not that strange.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

No, Selfie has been cancelled.
Also Selfie started to get decent.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Josh Lyman posted:

Also Selfie started to get decent.

There are no roles for Asians... wait that's Whedon not Sorkin. nvm

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"It's someone called bob for you?" :3:

Goddamn if I don't really like the campaign episodes.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

There are no roles for Asians... wait that's Whedon not Sorkin. nvm

"We don't hate Asians. John Cho is more valuable to us where he is."

Later, we hate Asians.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Watching S3E22 "Posse Comitatus" and I have to keep reminding myself that setting a scene to (optionally a cover of) Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" wasn't yet cliche.

The War of the Roses piece playing over the assassination is better, though.

Bring on "20 Hours in America"!

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I'm watching west wing for the first time, and I can see why this series is so well regarded.

One thing that sticks out for me is the number of times that people's vacations/nights/weekends are taken over by work. I wonder how realistic that is.

Up to S02E19 - Bad Moon Rising

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

westyx posted:

I'm watching west wing for the first time, and I can see why this series is so well regarded.

One thing that sticks out for me is the number of times that people's vacations/nights/weekends are taken over by work. I wonder how realistic that is.

You're in for a treat in the next couple episodes. Actually right on through the first couple of season 3 is just fantastic.

In other news, holy poo poo this is (I hope) some terrible editing (because otherwise it's even worse writing). S4E03 "College Kids", the President's getting briefed about a letter from the pipe bombers. In the middle of the briefing, the President delivers this insightful non sequitur:

"The internet has been a phenomenal tool for hate groups."

:confused:

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Sorkin has had a lifelong love/hate/hate/hate/hate relationship with the internet.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

withak posted:

It is good.

Thanks for the recommendation, been laughing my rear end off all night.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

You're in for a treat in the next couple episodes. Actually right on through the first couple of season 3 is just fantastic.

In other news, holy poo poo this is (I hope) some terrible editing (because otherwise it's even worse writing). S4E03 "College Kids", the President's getting briefed about a letter from the pipe bombers. In the middle of the briefing, the President delivers this insightful non sequitur:

"The internet has been a phenomenal tool for hate groups."

:confused:

I'm up to S03E04 and I don't know what it is, but the last couple of episodes have been really interesting - the staff make mistakes, jed gets a temper etc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's around 9/11/2001 time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I kinda want to do a West Wing rewatch podcast called The Lemon Lyman Logs.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I kinda want to do a West Wing rewatch podcast called The Lemon Lyman Logs.

I would happily wear a muumu and chain-smoke Parliaments to help make this happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

westyx posted:

From my very brief time working in political campaigns, it is completely accurate.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HorseHeadBed posted:

I would happily wear a muumu and chain-smoke Parliaments to help make this happen.
I really like how podcasts like A Cast of Kings do it, where you have (at least) one person who is new to the material and (at least) one who is intimately familiar with it. The trouble with something like the X-Files Files is that all the hosts have fully formed opinions of the show, so there's no give and take.

drat you westyx, I need you to forget the last couple weeks of your life. :argh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well I can watch season 5 fresh as I'm 90% sure I've only seen one or two episodes. :smugdog:

edit: Yes I know it doesn't count because I've watched the other seasons so much. ;)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 22, 2014

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I really like how podcasts like A Cast of Kings do it, where you have (at least) one person who is new to the material and (at least) one who is intimately familiar with it. The trouble with something like the X-Files Files is that all the hosts have fully formed opinions of the show, so there's no give and take.

drat you westyx, I need you to forget the last couple weeks of your life. :argh:

Welp, guess I just disqualified myself... But yeah, new perspective really helps provoke discussion, otherwise it's just giggling about in-jokes. Hadn't been able to put my finger on why TXFF didn't work for me, but I think you're right. There's a guy called MrAristocrates doing a masochistic Newsroom watchthrough in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669533. He's been pretty insightful about what does and doesn't work in that show. It may well have put him off Aaron Sorkin for life, however...

e: I'd still like to do it, though.

HorseHeadBed fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 23, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

westyx posted:

For anyone working in the political or policy part of government as opposed to bureaucracy, or for an organization that deals with those people (lobbying groups, think thanks, whatever) it's entirely realistic. When poo poo goes down you respond now, or some other person gets the opportunity to further their agenda. You do not like that person.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

:)

I've been kinda spoiled on the major stuff due to it's age, and started watching 3 minute clips on youtube. At this point I know that some things happen, and it's trying to work out when they actually will. Thankfully, I have a horrible memory, so most of the events happen on screen and then I go "huh, oh, yeah, i remember that now".

FrozenVent posted:

For anyone working in the political or policy part of government as opposed to bureaucracy, or for an organization that deals with those people (lobbying groups, think thanks, whatever) it's entirely realistic. When poo poo goes down you respond now, or some other person gets the opportunity to further their agenda. You do not like that person.

I watched about 10 minutes of S03E23 (clips of the west wing interspersed with interviews of real life west wing inhabitants) and there was a bit on that - you just went at everything for 4 or 8 years, and if you hadn't burnt out before then you looked back hating the hours etc, but still having the yearning to do it again.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

pokeyman posted:

Watching S3E22 "Posse Comitatus" and I have to keep reminding myself that setting a scene to (optionally a cover of) Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" wasn't yet cliche.

You got it the wrong way round; John Cale (the version in the episode) covered it first, which inspired Jeff Buckley's version.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh! Shows what I know. I should've just said "a cover".

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've just watched S04E23 - the episode in which bartlett resigns and the speaker (goodman) becomes president. If you knew it was him you could tell, but otherwise they obscured his face and figure up until the end. Powerful tv even knowing it was coming.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Now abandon all hope for thirty episodes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
At least Giant Politician John Goodman lives again in Alpha House.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Now abandon all hope for thirty episodes.

The resolution of the Zoey plot, Separation of Powers + Shutdown, and The Supremes, are pretty great. The rest meh.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Pierson posted:

At least Giant Politician John Goodman lives again in Alpha House.

I can not thank this thread enough for putting me onto that show. He is awesome in it too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

willie_dee posted:

What, i'm loving it.... I have loved everything Sorkin has done though, including Studio 60 and Sports Night.

Hey I liked Studio 60 too (Never saw Sports Night)... I do think the plotline about terrorism and whatnot at the end was a little out of place though. OTOH D.L. Hughley and Matthew Perry can basically sell me on anything.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just finishing up my ... third(?) see-through ... and Annabeth and Leo ARE supposed to either be having a relationship or about to start one, right?

Also, is it just me or did Bartlet's MS just disappear entirely aside from his cane in the last two seasons?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Raxivace posted:

Hey I liked Studio 60 too (Never saw Sports Night)... I do think the plotline about terrorism and whatnot at the end was a little out of place though. OTOH D.L. Hughley and Matthew Perry can basically sell me on anything.

Studio 60 started crawling up its own rear end toward the end of its mercifully brief run, but for a few episodes at the beginning it really was something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

brylcreem posted:

Also, is it just me or did Bartlet's MS just disappear entirely aside from his cane in the last two seasons?

Not really, the storyline of his China trip was in season 6 if I remember correctly, and the MS played a HUGE part there.

• Locked thread