Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Polygon is holding their review until online features are turned on.

The weird one I read was on Business Financial Post.

greatn fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

greatn posted:

I read a weird negative one that opened with a couple of paragraphs about his dad threatening to throw their N64 in the garbage and lamenting about how a story mode must have been excised because this game was "rushed" and how the original Subspace Emissary brought him to tears.

I too could not hold back my emotions when Captain Falcon Power-Slided and killed all those Pikmin.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm considering getting a Wii U so my kids can have something to play non-handheld games together without hogging the TV. Is there a reasonable case for getting an additional one of the touchscreen gamepad things, and if so, is there anywhere you can get one for less than $130? That's the cheapest I've seen searching online, Nintendo doesn't seem to have any refurbs, and for that price it seems like you might as well just buy an entire Wii U and sell the console part to get the controller.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Polygon will argue that if Smash sells well it will be bad for the Wii U because it means people won't buy as many other games.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

raditts posted:

I'm considering getting a Wii U so my kids can have something to play non-handheld games together without hogging the TV. Is there a reasonable case for getting an additional one of the touchscreen gamepad things, and if so, is there anywhere you can get one for less than $130? That's the cheapest I've seen searching online, Nintendo doesn't seem to have any refurbs, and for that price it seems like you might as well just buy an entire Wii U and sell the console part to get the controller.

Unfortunately, no Wii U games support using multiple touchscreen gamepads. There can only be one gamepad and the other players have to use either a Wiimote or a pro controller. :(

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Each Wii U console can only support one of the touchscreen gamepads, if that's what you were thinking of doing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

raditts posted:

Theres no reason to buy a 2nd one unless the first one break.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

raditts posted:

The Wii U can only connect to one gamepad, there's no point in getting a second unless you break it. And the best bet there is calling Nintendo, since they're not normally sold alone.

So that plan won't work, multiplayer would need someone on the TV.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

raditts posted:

There are currently no games or apps (as in, not a single one) on the Wii U that support more than one gamepad controller. The system only supports up to a maximum of two of them, and even that only in theory; I don't think there's a way to even activate a second one with the current version of the Wii U OS. And I don't think there is a cheap way to buy one independent of the console. In practice this means you can only use a single gamepad controller with any given Wii U at a time; in multiplayer situations the other players will have to use Wii U pro controllers or backwards-compatible Wii controllers.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's really cool how Nintendo told everyone that when they announced the system, people complained until Nintendo said they would support more than one, and then they just never did it.

That's not sarcasm, I'm glad they decided to just shut everyone up and then ignore them.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

For additional controllers, instead of getting more Gamepads, what you're looking for are either Pro Controllers or Wii Remotes. The Pro is pretty broadly compatible with Wii U games and matches the Gamepad's button layout, but the Wii remote is necessary for original Wii games or for motion control stuff.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tender Bender posted:

Polygon will argue that if Smash sells well it will be bad for the Wii U because it means people won't buy as many other games.

Nintendo aware of failings of Wii U hardware, offers Gamecube controllers for Smash as apology.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

elf help book posted:

It's really cool how Nintendo told everyone that when they announced the system, people complained until Nintendo said they would support more than one, and then they just never did it.

That's not sarcasm, I'm glad they decided to just shut everyone up and then ignore them.
I disagree, I think this just highlights what a misstep Nintendo made with the controller/gamepad situation with the Wii U, in that because of this in any local multiplayer situation the controller distribution will pretty much have to be asymmetrical, unless everybody just ignores the gamepad entirely, in which case they might as well have made it optional in the first place. For a console whose library largely distinguishes itself from its competitors by its excellent support for local multiplayer, that is not an ideal situation. Mind, the gamepad itself is actually an excellent controller, but that still doesn't make this situation any less ridiculous; the fact, for instance, that in Mario Kart 8, the minimap was originally only displayed on the gamepad screen so they had to make a patch that would fix this and display it on the main TV screen as well illustrates this issue nicely.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Or you could just not give a poo poo and have fun playing video games with your buds instead of being angry at the person with the cool controller.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

PrBacterio posted:

I disagree, I think this just highlights what a misstep Nintendo made with the controller/gamepad situation with the Wii U, in that because of this in any local multiplayer situation the controller distribution will pretty much have to be asymmetrical, unless everybody just ignores the gamepad entirely, in which case they might as well have made it optional in the first place. For a console whose library largely distinguishes itself from its competitors by its excellent support for local multiplayer, that is not an ideal situation. Mind, the gamepad itself is actually an excellent controller, but that still doesn't make this situation any less ridiculous; the fact, for instance, that in Mario Kart 8, the minimap was originally only displayed on the gamepad screen so they had to make a patch that would fix this and display it on the main TV screen as well illustrates this issue nicely.

I'm going to read this post.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Good luck, friend.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

elf help book posted:

I'm going to read this post.

I read it, and it is bad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PrBacterio posted:

[giant_foghorn.wav]

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I got those Mario and Luigi themed Wii Remote Pluses and they work great on the Wii U. :)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

After a copycat exploit is discovered in the stage builder allowing system level access to the machine?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mercury Crusader posted:

I got those Mario and Luigi themed Wii Remote Pluses and they work great on the Wii U. :)

Heads up: they also make a Peach one

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

oddium posted:

Heads up: they also make a Peach one

I'm gonna go buy a Peach one.

EDIT: There's also a Yoshi one but not in the US but I'm still gonna buy one.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

PrBacterio posted:

You can easily have symmetrical (gamepad acting as a regular controller) or asymmetrical (making use of the screen.)

Where's the problem?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Supercar Gautier posted:

For additional controllers, instead of getting more Gamepads, what you're looking for are either Pro Controllers or Wii Remotes. The Pro is pretty broadly compatible with Wii U games and matches the Gamepad's button layout, but the Wii remote is necessary for original Wii games or for motion control stuff.

I've got original Wii remotes / controllers still lying around, so if it's possible for them to play with the remote screen with two separate controllers that would probably work too. Sounds like that might not be an option either though...

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
At this point you'd be better off buying them a cheap TV. They still have CRTs at Goodwill and the likes; although I think you need a Wii display cable to output in good ol' standard definition.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

raditts posted:

I've got original Wii remotes / controllers still lying around, so if it's possible for them to play with the remote screen with two separate controllers that would probably work too. Sounds like that might not be an option either though...

If you've got any wii games that's an option. Backwards compatibly sent to the screen (though the wii pad's buttons don't work with old games.)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

raditts posted:

You mean using the gamepad as a TV and them playing with other controllers? Depends on the game, but anything with off-screen play would work that way. The Mario games, Mario Kart, Smash probably. Off-screen play and what controllers exactly are supported vary by game to game, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shelf Adventure posted:

I can imagine the use of Megaman in other games will be incredibly low.

It still isn't determined if Nintendo allows developers to use amiibos in whatever way they choose. If they do, I hope Comcept makes Mega Man compatible in Mighty No. 9. :unsmigghh:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Joystiq is streaming Smash Bros. U on twitch right now. https://www.twitch.com/joystiq

They also said that the wavebird works flawlessly.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fremry posted:

Joystiq is streaming Smash Bros. U on twitch right now. https://www.twitch.com/joystiq

They also said that the wavebird works flawlessly.

http://www.twitch.tv/joystiq

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mercury Crusader posted:

Those are the best. I love how the secondary colors are slightly different to be accurate with the characters.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, the only non-glowing review of Smash U so far (which is an 80, not even that low) bashes it for having no story. Is this like Persona 4 Arena's fault or something? Since when are fighting games supposed to have fleshed out stories?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

enojy posted:

Oh, the only non-glowing review of Smash U so far (which is an 80, not even that low) bashes it for having no story. Is this like Persona 4 Arena's fault or something? Since when are fighting games supposed to have fleshed out stories?

Probably because Brawl had Subspace Emissary?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I found it hilarious he thought there was no story mode because the game was rushed, not because no one liked subspace emissary last time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Subspace Emissary loving sucked so I'm glad the devs decided not to waste their time with another tediously over-long story mode that all of the unlocks are gated behind.

e: Yeah I mean I guess you could also do 450 Smash battles. :rolleyes:

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 19, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

enojy posted:

Fighting games having full-scale stories have been the norm for quite some time now. Pretty much every anime fighter, from your AquaPazzas and BlazBlues to your Dengeki Bunkos and now Guilty Gears have a huge VN-style story mode, NetherRealm has been pushing hard on cinematic story modes with Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice, and Bandai Namco's been doing wonders experimenting with the formula with Soulcalibur, Tekken, and their other anime fighters du jour like JoJo ASB and Naruto. Games like Street Fighter that have story modes comprised of 6 or 7 fights bookended by anime cutscenes and an occasional Vs. Rival scene are quickly becoming archaic.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fighting games are basically the worst possible genre you could try to build a story around. BlazBlue/Persona 4 Arena/Injustice all put a lot of effort into it and it always turns out pretty bad

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
I played through all of Subspace Emissary and all I can remember is how bored and annoyed I was at having to play it through to unlock characters. Thank god they didn't do that again.

Edit: and i skipped all those interminable cutscenes in Injustice single player. I can't really imagine the person who plays fighting games for the stories.

Eindyin fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 19, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Policenaut posted:

Fighting games having full-scale stories have been the norm for quite some time now. Pretty much every anime fighter, from your AquaPazzas and BlazBlues to your Dengeki Bunkos and now Guilty Gears have a huge VN-style story mode, NetherRealm has been pushing hard on cinematic story modes with Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice, and Bandai Namco's been doing wonders experimenting with the formula with Soulcalibur, Tekken, and their other anime fighters du jour like JoJo ASB and Naruto. Games like Street Fighter that have story modes comprised of 6 or 7 fights bookended by anime cutscenes and an occasional Vs. Rival scene are quickly becoming archaic.

People actually pay attention to those????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm beginning to decide I don't need the Gamecube adaptor in my life. It's been confirmed that it's only compatible with Smash Bros, right?

Anyway I'm going to cancel my preorder of the Smash + GC Adaptor bundle ($89.95 at EB Games, :australia:) and just pick up Smash for $58 at Big W (or failing that, $69 at JB Hi Fi)

• Locked thread