Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

spacegoat posted:

Goddamn, I'm really digging this Apology supplement.

LoS to Gargoyles from a Tyrant? Hell to the yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

SRM posted:

I used to play against a guy with that Avatar mounted on the back of a Cold One. It looked like Mario on Yoshi.

I fully intend to use my as an avatar in my OOP Ulthwe. gently caress anyone who bitches about it I am not even going to put it on a 40mm base.

I have tried to paint the model twice but I can't get it to look right.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

TKIY posted:

loving seriously. 64 wound Flyrant is pretty good.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't have the sweet deets quite yet, but conuqest has a "build your named character" system in place.

gently caress

Yes

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren: 30K Legion Relics: :siren:

quote:

There are 28 relics. Most relics range from 30-50pts. Any independant character that isn't 'unique' may take one.

6 basic ones, that any HH army can take:
-rather lethal pistol, that has AP2, fleshbane, if a model dies to it, then on a 4+ they explode with a large blast, with the guns stats, any deaths from that can also cause explosions.
-warp field, that gives a 3+ invuln and can cause damage to the unit shooting at them.
-phase walker, allows you to redeploy to anywhere on the board, with some dangers.
-combat upgrade that allows you to auto-roll 6's for a turn, causes multiple toughness tests that can kill you.
-invisibility cloak, stops you from being targeted by shooting or charges.
-infantry carried void shield, creates a void shield the size of a large blast template,can regenerate, if the damage roll against it causes an explosion over the model.

^ Holy poo poo these are good ^

The mechanicum has access to two relics, any of the Mechanicum lists many have them.
scrapvirus attack that causes a single haywire attack against an enemy vehicle, if the vehicle is still in play the next friendly shooting phase then all other vehicles (friend or foe) take a single haywire attack as well, this carries on with all new infected vehicles, until no more vehicles can be infected.
super cortex controller, cybertheurgy used effects WHOLE SQUADS not just single models.

Solar Auxilla get two as well.
wargear that gives a 12" 'interceptor' bubble to all SA units.
digital weapon that can be fired once, like a lascannon, mulit-laser, multi-melta, plasma cannon or a volkite caliver.

Each legion gets a single relic.

Dark Angels get a relic that can force all enemy units in combat to take a fear test, covers the whole board.
Emperor's Children get a sword that allows you to swap attacks for +1 to your invuln save, (max 2+ save)
Iron Warriors get a rather lethal weapon thats 2d6 shots ap3. but can only be used in overwatch. also always at full BS skill.
White Scars get a super bow, thats ap2, skyfire, precision shots, interceptor, pinning and always hits at full BS skill regardless of other factors.
Space Wolves get a pair of super lightning claws, with +1str, master crafted and armourbane.
Imperial Fists get a cloak that gives eternal warrior plus +3 invuln against melta weapons.
Night Lords get a 'man catcher', +1str ap3, plus pick a single model in base contact, that model then takes a str test for each attack it can make (includes charge bonuses etc) for each failed test, they lose that attack for that phase.
Blood Angels get a ap2 sword that have soul blaze, fleshbane, fear and blind.
Iron Hands get a 3 shot grav-template weapon, (includes the difficult terrain part as well)
World Eaters get a trident, thats +2str AP2 and unwieldy, may be thrown once, at str10 ap1 instant death, is lost after that, but mark the local if it kills something, from the following turn onwards there is a 12" bubble of difficult terrain, and all buildings inside that lose 1HP each game turn.
Ultramarines get a gladius. +1str ap3, with rending and duelist's edge, ignores any saves that are caused by shields (combat, storm, breaching etc)
Death Guard get a 6" bubble rad grenade that applys at all times, even outside of combat (so for shooting etc) doesn't effect instant death, and any unit that suffers a shooting casualty while under the effect of it must take a morale test regardless of number of models. stacks with rad grenades in combat.
Thousand Sons get a savlo3/6 gun that has the str value of the enemy units leadership value.
Sons of Horus get a cataphractii terminator suit with a +3 invuln, eternal warrior and +1 toughness against shooting attacks
Word Bearers get a 12" bubble one use wargear piece that reduces all invuln saves by -2 (4+ becomes 6+ etc, 5&6+ saves lost) affects friends and foes
Salamanders get a combat shield that causes damage to enemy units charging them
Raven Guard get a +1str ap3 rending blade that wounds caused by it count as 2, for combat resolution
Alpha Legion get a pistol weapon that has poisoned 4+ ap4 rending, and if a unit suffers a casualty from it, then the unit must take D6 toughness tests at the beginning of all future AL shooting phases, for each failed test the unit takes a wound with no saves of any kind, stops if the unit passes all toughness tests in a single phase.

Now the Knight household.
Knights count as Mechanicum on the allies chart. Standard FoC chart, any knight type may be taken as any FoC slot (one HQ and single Troop choice compulsory) each then gains access to a selection of upgrades based on their type. ranges from -35pts to 50pts. also has room for unique freeblades showing up later.

These can only be taken when knights are the primary or ally detachment and using the knights FoC chart or the plain one. No new legion units or rules other than the relics. looks like it all got cut, for later books.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 19, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
GODDAMN :stonk:

Pretty much everything in there is great. With the Detachment FOC change there's really no reason to shoot fro another unless you really want and rerolling Instinctive Behavior is a pretty big free bonus (especially considering you still get the Warlord table reroll). Yeah. Lemme go get my wallet... :homebrew:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BULBASAUR posted:

That relic pistol is loving hilarious.

Also Dark Angels legion rules when. You gimme a relic and that's it? :cmon:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Those Tyranid formations actually look pretty good even if GW seems to really like gargoyles. Even the FOC isn't that bad, but it could've expanded Elites a little. The warlord traits are pretty drat mediocre though and half of them aren't even new. Why would you even want an infiltrating Hive Tyrant?

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't have the sweet deets quite yet, but conuqest has a "build your named character" system in place.

gently caress

Yes

BULBASAUR posted:

:getin:
And of course Dark Angels get a dumb fear relic.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Death Guard relic sucks, game is dead.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
These rules are comically good. I can't believe half of them.

'Scrapvirus' is down right nasty against any parking lot list. The combat upgraydd seems like a potential game breaker, as it will let a Praeator instant death any model in the game, automatically, with 5-6 attacks (you will fail one of those invulns). Warp Field combined with a Navigator and Iron Hands or Iron Warriors is hilarious... even more so if you give them a man portable void shield. Invisibility cloak lets you drop pod in an IC that is invulnerable to enemy fire or assault the turn it touches down, which seems, you know, game breakingly good.

Almost all the legions got cool relics as well. The Iron Warriors, White Scars, Dark Angels, Thousand Sons, Word Bearers, and Alpha Legion stand out to me.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Safety Factor posted:

Why would you even want an infiltrating Hive Tyrant?

Infiltrating Prime in a unit of Hormas or Gants could be pretty good.

Or Canifex. Can he attach to MCs?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacegoat posted:

Infiltrating Prime in a unit of Hormas or Gants could be pretty good.

Or Canifex. Can he attach to MCs?

If they come in a group, I'm pretty sure he can. (I feel like carnifexes come in broods, but it's been forever since I played against them)

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
That Hive Fleet Detachment is a big wet fart: Take more of arguably the worst troops in the game, and lock yourself into the worst Warlord Traits table we have yet to print, to gain access to one more HQ slot and the ability to re-roll IB tests. I'd rather Ally in more Nids or a 2nd CAD to get access to additional HQ slots oh and more elite slots too.

Hypertoxic Node is pretty nice, I'd put the Toxicrene in a Pod and put Toxin Sacs on an otherwise standard issue flyrant, adn you get 3 single-model venomthrope broods to spread Shrouding around without clogging up your Elite slots. The buffs it provides are nice too.

Neural Node is crap mostly because it brings the Maleceptor which is crap and dosent fix it or improve it much, also it requires 9 loving Zoanthropes so its really a "Please buy these new kits we just released" kind of formation.

Skytyrant Swarm looks pretty baller, a 64 wound Flyrant... but since he's forced into gliding it'll be subject to pieplates and templates and being assaulted, and @ majority T3 those wounds are gonna melt away. Buy more Gargoyles! Keep something that gives Shrouding close.

Really, the rest of the formations are more "Please buy these new kits we just released" kind of things but they arent as crap as the neural node so theres that going for them.

Dissapointed at the lack of a tyranid version of the "Drop Pod Assault" rules.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Some of that 30K poo poo looks pretty bonkers. The issue would be keeping it from just turning into a slapfight between two special snowflakes with the theorycrafted optimal loadouts, but I don't know enough to tell at a glance whether the options are balanced well enough to discourage that outcome. (And of course we don't seem to know yet what the points costs will be, which could be fairly significant.)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Safety Factor posted:

:getin:
And of course Dark Angels get a dumb fear relic.

Seriously. I've been waiting for their rules to come out to even look at 30k but if it's a choice between giving my basic squads ~fear~ and a world-destroying trident I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go with World Eaters, especially as I already have Angron painted up.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
All of the new options in IA13 is making my brain explode with options for a CSM 1850 list. With the high cost of all things Forge World, though, I'm scared of getting into a buying spree of stuff I'll never use or be satisfied with. I could use some input into a list, and I know some of you Hams are aces when it comes to this.

I've got a back bone of a Slaneesh bike Lord, two five-man Noise Marine units with Blastmasters and Sonic blasters, and a three Obliterators. I want to build up a biker unit around the bike lord, for sure. I'm thinking about a Sonic Dreadnaught, a pair of Hell Blades, a unit or two of Chosen with dedicated Dreadclaws and maybe a rapier weapons carrier if I can fit it in. Any thoughts?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The DA relic is pretty good in 30k, actually. Nobody is fearless and it sounds like it forces a fear test for any enemy on the entire board that gets into combat with you. For a leadership 9 army that's going to break squads.

It feels weird that it's not a night lords thing, though.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Hot drat. I might actually kit out a close combat hive tyrant.

The toxic one would be better with fewer venomthrope broods, but that's still pretty nasty.

I think Tyranids are going to be back in a big way. It's just too bad about poor Genestealers.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Hahahahahah I just loving noticed the Thousand Sons relic. Hopefully this means Thousand Sons are actually loving good in 30k.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah its bonkers. Aren't all vehicles considered leadership 10? Because if so, then its hilarious on a master of signals or siege breaker.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Tequila Ranger posted:

That Hive Fleet Detachment is a big wet fart: Take more of arguably the worst troops in the game, and lock yourself into the worst Warlord Traits table we have yet to print, to gain access to one more HQ slot and the ability to re-roll IB tests. I'd rather Ally in more Nids or a 2nd CAD to get access to additional HQ slots oh and more elite slots too.

Skytyrant Swarm looks pretty baller, a 64 wound Flyrant... but since he's forced into gliding it'll be subject to pieplates and templates and being assaulted, and @ majority T3 those wounds are gonna melt away. Buy more Gargoyles! Keep something that gives Shrouding close.

You are so wrong on these points. Having 3 HQs means they can run 3 flyrants before an allied detachment/formation and since you can generally only have 2 detachments at tourneys this means 'nids can easily have 4 flyrants on the table.

And a walking flyrant isn't the end of the world when Malanthropes/venomthropes, cover/area terrain, and having 60 bros to soak wounds exist. Both of those options are extremely strong and will help put 'Nids on the top tables.

Master Twig posted:

Hot drat. I might actually kit out a close combat hive tyrant.

The toxic one would be better with fewer venomthrope broods, but that's still pretty nasty.

I think Tyranids are going to be back in a big way. It's just too bad about poor Genestealers.

Genestealers were good for like, one edition. let it go man. :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What's the minimum points to run Skytide? It looks like a really huge formation.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Direwolf posted:

Seriously. I've been waiting for their rules to come out to even look at 30k but if it's a choice between giving my basic squads ~fear~ and a world-destroying trident I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go with World Eaters, especially as I already have Angron painted up.

Fear is a big big thing in 30k since there are almost no fearless units. That trident is good, but the DA relic can win a game if used at the right time.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Doesn't look like the book has a formation I'd be interested in, since I don't run any Gargoyles. Well, too bad, then I don't have to buy it I guess :v:

Had another game today against my World Eaters buddy, pictures courtesy of him:

Chaos Deployment and closeup:

Tyranids after turn 1 and closeup:

Midgame, everything is a huge clusterfuck:

Heldrake doing its thing, Carnifexes moments before wrecking a Defiler:

Game ended when the swarm outlasted the Chaos Marines after several sustained rounds of combat and controlled both objectives. It was pretty fun!

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 19, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

Fear is a big big thing in 30k since there are almost no fearless units. That trident is good, but the DA relic can win a game if used at the right time.

It's just really bland compared to most of the other relics and LD 8 or 9 still has a really good chance of passing. That earthquake trident may be situational, but even the idea of it is rad as hell.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

BULBASAUR posted:

The DA relic is pretty good in 30k, actually. Nobody is fearless and it sounds like it forces a fear test for any enemy on the entire board that gets into combat with you. For a leadership 9 army that's going to break squads.

It feels weird that it's not a night lords thing, though.

Well firstly, leadership 9 fails a fear test 16% of the time, so even if you're in 6 combats across the board it will probably only affect one. And Fear means they're WS 1 for that combat, which is great but super random as to where it will end up mattering, and most of the time it won't even go off.

It's also just not thematically accurate. It should be a night lords thing because the Dark Angels thing isn't inspiring fear, it's being stoic, sometimes at times that are stupid to do so. In 30k we're also supposed to be the tactical geniuses, so that's another idea - either way, though, it's out of line with the other relics just being cool weapons or shields.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Brinner posted:

I'm not adverse to painting blobs, although I'd probably wait and see if something popped up on eBay. Australia isn't cheap for models, as I'm sure some people here know. I might just hang out and see what happens on the second hand front, something may come up to tide me over for now. Thanks again.

Check out AA Wargames on eBay. They're based in the UK but they do combined shipping if you buy multiple items and it's pretty easy to score stuff at low prices. Their auctions end on Sundays (I think) and they post new items every week. I managed to grab a load (maybe a hundred models all up?) of Space Marines, Eldar and Dark Eldar for painting practice and including shipping it ended up being around 50c per figure.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Fear is a big mechanic in Dark Angels. I'm pretty sure their codex has multiple ways to give it, IIRC.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Fear is a big mechanic in Dark Angels. I'm pretty sure their codex has multiple ways to give it, IIRC.

This is true. They're supposed to have a bunch of spooky relics laying around in 40k. But didn't they get spooky during the destruction of Caliban? Or were they always spooky? :iiam:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 19, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Naramyth posted:

You are so wrong on these points. Having 3 HQs means they can run 3 flyrants before an allied detachment/formation and since you can generally only have 2 detachments at tourneys this means 'nids can easily have 4 flyrants on the table.

And a walking flyrant isn't the end of the world when Malanthropes/venomthropes, cover/area terrain, and having 60 bros to soak wounds exist. Both of those options are extremely strong and will help put 'Nids on the top tables.

Genestealers were good for like, one edition. let it go man. :v:

Actually you can have more 4 Hive Tyrants and FMCs than you can shake a stick at. People forget that you can get the Mucolid Spores now as troops and their 15 points.

That's the cheapest loving Troop choice, so you could have ..

(If your using adepticon rules)

Hive Detachment
Flyrant
Flyrant
Flyrant
Troop
3 Spores

Self Ally
Flyrant
Troop
Mucolid Spore

Formation
Skyblight Swarm
Flyrant
Hive Crone
Harpie
Harpie
Gargoyles

I'm pretty sure this could fit in 1850.

It's disappointing to see that they did not get a formation for a similar drop pod assault, however this is just the first book and there may be more formations coming for the Tyranids.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 19, 2014

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, entered a contest held by TitanTerrainStudio. Looks like I won a painted Forgeworld model, Horus the Warmaster.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
A devourer flyrant with hypertoxic, holy poo poo. Might as well call it Wraithbane.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A devourer flyrant with hypertoxic, holy poo poo. Might as well call it Wraithbane.

I wish, poison (and hypertoxic) only apply to his melee. If I'm reading it right it's only on the attacks that are poison.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

TKIY posted:

T3 Hive Tyrants that are hit on normal Ballistic Skill? Hell to the no.

Naramyth posted:

Eh. The Leviathan detachment may see some use, but most lists of Skyblight + normal FoC are enough to fill an 1850 list without a ton of wiggle room, so I'm not sure anyone is gonna bother. Especially with the additional formations available, I'm not sure it'll be worth being forced to roll on an awful, awful warlord table and buy extra troops.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, I thought the same thing as well, but it only works on your Poisoned attacks, which Devourers aren't.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Sporefield to me looks like a pretty nice formation, especially considering it's got the whole 4+ it goes back into reserve and comes back out and it's less than 100 points. It seems kind of lovely at first glance then you realize how cheap it is.

Skytyrant is actually pretty boss. Considering challenges will go against his Toughness.

Sure T3 sucks, but 2+ LOS, then basically 20+ ablative wounds. He will get into CC.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 19, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Uroboros posted:

So, entered a contest held by TitanTerrainStudio. Looks like I won a painted Forgeworld model, Horus the Warmaster.

Well looks like you're collecting a Luna Wolves army.

Chop loving chop mate.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, I thought the same thing as well, but it only works on your Poisoned attacks, which Devourers aren't.

Whoops, read it as all attacks from a model in this formation have poisoned.

Maybe that weird Miasma relic biomorph could finally be useful?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

It's really not. Since 3rd ed Dark Angels have had Stubborn on all of their troops, we're stoic, silent warrior monks, not scary, spooky warrior monks. Ominous, maybe, but not scary.

The fear special rule is entirely absent from the codex except on two pieces of wargear and one special character; no one takes the wargear or the character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Haha what the gently caress Fighter Ace, +35 point upgrade to fliers, then the flying machine get's its own special rule.

You roll on a special chart and they get a special rule.

One of the Tyranids special rules they can get? Leaving the drat board at the beginning of your opponents Shooting phase.

What.

The.

gently caress.

Blood Angles get a chance to give preferred enemy once per game to every friendly model with in 12 inches of the flier.

I just seriously doubt people will allow these in normal games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

AbusePuppy posted:

Eh. The Leviathan detachment may see some use, but most lists of Skyblight + normal FoC are enough to fill an 1850 list without a ton of wiggle room, so I'm not sure anyone is gonna bother. Especially with the additional formations available, I'm not sure it'll be worth being forced to roll on an awful, awful warlord table and buy extra troops.

Screw Troops. I just made up a list that would be an abslute pain in the rear end to play against.

3 Hive Tyrants, wings, 2x devourers, elecroshocks

2 crones

2 Muculid spore broods of 1 each.

2 Tyrannocites with barbed stranglers

Hypertoxic Formation
1 Hive Tyrant, wings, 2x devourers, electroshock, toxin sacs
1x Venomthrope
1x venomthrope
2x venomthrope
Toxicrene

You put the brood of 2 venomthropes into a tyrannocite and the toxicrene into the other.

You split up the four hive tyrants and crones at deployment and give a venomthrope to each. They would of course be in cover (and the venomthrope completely out of LOS of the enemy if possible). They then have to deal with six flying monstrous creatures, and a nasty close combat unit dropping right down in their front lines. You also drop the other venomthropes in an area that would allow some fliers to gain a 2+ jink (or just a straight up 5+ cover). Plus, they're pretty nasty against certain squads too. Especially other MCs.

It's cheesy, it's bullshit, and I loving love it.

• Locked thread