Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Someone said earlier that Comic Zoom's motivation was to force Barry to time travel to save Zoom's family or something, and with the sob story about the wife, I hope that's not his motivation here, it's too.. janky. Like, why didn't he go back and save his wife himself instead of causing all this.. stuff in a convoluted plan to make Barry feel bad.

The whole time travel trope where good guys can never do anything with time travel without unfathomable consequences, while bad guys get to go back and murder your parents scott free is always a bit dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wells is honestly the most interesting thing in the show right now. The pilot cliffhanger and the cliché shanking didn't catch me so much, but these little sinister turns he has...

I still can't stand Iris and every scene she has, they are repeating the mistakes they made with Laurel almost beat-for-beat. Including the cop father teaching her self defense. Speaking of, Detective Not-Lance continues to be the best character and all round chill dude.

Woden
May 6, 2006
No kidding, hope they don't do too much time travel stuff.

Is Iris in the comic books and if so what does she do? Here it looks like she's going to be the one to find a lot of metahumans for Barry which I guess is kinda cool, the getting rescued poo poo will get old though so hopefully the writers(they are) are smarter than me with that part of it and have a plan.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Ahahahahaha god drat, when Barry picks up the flag and starts brawling with Girder and then the SUPERSONIC PUNCH :neckbeard:

Holy loving poo poo this show is so fun!

e: also Barry and Eddie bro-time :hfive:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 19, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Darko posted:

But...Barry has been moving much faster than sound multiple times on this show, just judging by what he's doing (yeah yeah yeah, I can't help analyzing his speed constantly).

Mid range bullets move faster than sound, and he can basically casually dodge them.

To be fair, you don't need to be moving 1:1 in order to dodge something, so long as you have enough distance to realise its there, and the ability to react. Mind you, the show hasn't been entirely consistent on how well Barry does the whole 'see it coming' thing, or the seeming scale of the effects, but the closest comparison I'd give is any pitch sport, where the ball can travel around a hundred miles an hour, and yet a person, the fastest speed for which we have in real life is a little under 28 mph, and that's being Usain freaking Bolt, can almost always have time to swing a bat.

Overall though, this episode seems more concerned than typical with the science that would come with having such absurd super speed. I doubt other writers will keep track.

This episode was good for character interaction though. Eddie especially, given what may happen later on in the series. On the villain... I'm both negative and positive about it. Negative in that, well, yeah, he is just a school bully that never grew up. Its hardly innovative and doesn't leave much room for the character to work with in future (which may be why they let him know Barry's identity, as aside of Barry getting the cathartic release, if Girder ever gets out, its personal for him too), but at the same time...
Well, some bullies don't grow up. Some mature the hell up, sure, but others make no such attempt. And having been bullied a tonne myself for most of my school life, yeah, the moment the supersonic punch (baby) connected was just wonderful.

Woden posted:

Is Iris in the comic books and if so what does she do? Here it looks like she's going to be the one to find a lot of metahumans for Barry which I guess is kinda cool, the getting rescued poo poo will get old though so hopefully the writers(they are) are smarter than me with that part of it and have a plan.

Iris was his love interest in the comics, in the Lois Lane of investigative journalist, but her real schtick was that the she and Barry actually married relatively early in.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

LordNad posted:

Could have been a stunt man

What else are you going to do with the Man of Steel :laugh:? He can't go to regular prison. I agree it's a dick move to shove him in no lunch supermax but there really isn't a better way to deal with him at the moment.

They could at least try to rehab the guy. I mean he's just a maladjusted bully not some evil psycho with grand schemes like wanting rule the world or destroy mankind. "You can rot in this 'no lunch supermax' or behave more reasonably, take some training and join our team of heroes" could be an option.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A remainder that Metal Bad Guy (Girder?) pretty likely killed two cops, although they didn't make that clear.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

DoctorWhat posted:

Am I the only person who's of the mind that Lance totally knows, at least on a subconscious level, but is being willfully dense in order to keep things simple?

Similarly, Gordon TOTALLY knows that Bruce is Batman.
That's my take on it. He doesn't want to find out because he already knows and wants some deniability.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like that Eddie is a really cool guy, legit wants to be friends with Barry and respects him instead of just being someone who is obviously the "bad boyfriend" that Barry will have to show up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LordNad posted:

Wells has to be Zoom now. There is no other explanation there.

Did you not notice the shot of Joe watching Barry's interview in the precinct? Where people not Wells, say for instance, another cop, could see him?

Including that scene but focusing on Wells this episode is pretty good misdirection if it's not actually Wells.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

VBane posted:

What I found most interesting is the fact that with Wells giving Joe his backstory, they decided to also have Thawne give Barry his backstory.

Is Thawne's name a red herring? So intrigued.

Thawne's name could definitely be a red herring, and he could turn out to be a totally normal guy himself, and the reason he's named as such is simply because he's an ANCESTOR of someone in the future who becomes Reverse Flash (be it Wells or someone else.) For some reason I seem to vaguely remember a Flash comics story that did this exact thing, where there was a guy named Thawne who turned out to be a totally innocent red herring and was simply the future Reverse Flash's great grandfather.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It would be sort of lame if both Thawne and Wells ended up being bad guys. One guy turning evil for sure but having two of the cast both be friends turned enemies seems a little ridiculous.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

He only shanked a photograph this episode! I demand more thorough shanking or psychic gorillas at the end of my episodes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Did you not notice the shot of Joe watching Barry's interview in the precinct? Where people not Wells, say for instance, another cop, could see him?

Including that scene but focusing on Wells this episode is pretty good misdirection if it's not actually Wells.

Why would a superpowered guy spend 20 years working in a precinct just for this one opportunity to discover that someone was looking that one murder and frame job he committed? Seems more then a little farfetched.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pwnstar posted:

I like that Eddie is a really cool guy, legit wants to be friends with Barry and respects him instead of just being someone who is obviously the "bad boyfriend" that Barry will have to show up.

Its always refreshing to see this, as usually the other guy is a complete douchebag. That is one reason I like Superman Returns as Lois's boyfriend is a good guy.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

New drinking game!!

take a shot every time someone says the word "impossible"

two shots for wells making a pithy remark about the FOTW's powers

take three every time a character says something can't be done and wells goes "yet."

that said, show still owns

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Posted this in the Arrow thread, but still relevant to Flash: Paul Anthony has been cast as Rainbow Raider/Chroma for the big crossover

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Joe really needs to take away Iris' laptop. It's the only way she'll learn.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its always refreshing to see this, as usually the other guy is a complete douchebag. That is one reason I like Superman Returns as Lois's boyfriend is a good guy.

Doesn't hurt that James Marsden is all kinds of goofy charm.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

hiddenriverninja posted:

take three every time a character says something can't be done and wells goes "yet."

You trying to give us all alcohol poisoning?!?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Tom Cavanagh is really great at being subtly threating. Neither he nor his character are overtly intimidating, but the scene in the restaurant between him and West were incredible tension-packed.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Posted this in the Arrow thread, but still relevant to Flash: Paul Anthony has been cast as Rainbow Raider/Chroma for the big crossover

If you had told me as a child that I'd be watching The Rainbow Raider battle The Flash on a beloved weekly tv series as an adult, well...given that NOBODY other than myself EVER liked The Rainbow Raider & I knew it, I'd have told you to shut your loving whore mouth.

This show.....:worship:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

If you had told me as a child that I'd be watching The Rainbow Raider battle The Flash on a beloved weekly tv series as an adult, well...given that NOBODY other than myself EVER liked The Rainbow Raider & I knew it, I'd have told you to shut your loving whore mouth.

This show.....:worship:

Knowing Geoff Johns opinion on him I do not expect him to last the episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Gorilla Grodd? Well that's a given on The Flash.

Rainbow Raider? Are you kidding me?

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

e X posted:

Arrow has the Barrowman smily, we really need a combination of :corsair: and :ese: for Flash.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Pwnstar posted:

It works way to well with the way Hunter Zoloman is written in the comics to be anything but a teaser.

*edit*
After reading up on characters we clearly need the pre-52 Top on this show.

sbaldrick fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 19, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

:swoon:

You beautiful bastard.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's pretty amazing :3:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pulling off his mask in front of his old bully was stupid as hell but everyone can completely relate with it, so I understand.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 19, 2014

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Needs a bubble beard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Pulling off his mask in front of his old bully was stupid as hell but everyone can completely relate with it, so I understand.

Flash was a bully in that scene. "You're dumb and peaked in high school, now rot in my personal prison forever without a trial even though it's not entirely clear a normal sturdy prison couldn't hold you, and if you killed anyone it certainly wasn't said or shown directly on screen."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but on the other hand, gently caress that guy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

greatn posted:

Flash was a bully in that scene. "You're dumb and peaked in high school, now rot in my personal prison forever without a trial even though it's not entirely clear a normal sturdy prison couldn't hold you, and if you killed anyone it certainly wasn't said or shown directly on screen."

You know by the end of the season there is going to be a jail break of everyone there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's gonna be funny when we're in season seven and it occurs to us that The Mist and Girder are still in that prison.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So are they really going to drag Wells' plot through the whole season?

I feel like it has hit the limit of how far they can push a "has secret knowledge of the future" plot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Gorilla Grodd? Well that's a given on The Flash.

Rainbow Raider? Are you kidding me?

I'm sure there's a way to make the Rainbow Raider not a joke villain.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

You know by the end of the season there is going to be a jail break of everyone there.

Hope none of them knows his secret identity then... Woops.

Between that scene and the "friendzoning" I feel like whoever writes this show never got out of high school emotionally.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Well it starts with calling him Chroma.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

I remember when Geoff Johns was writing Flash he was revamping all the villains, and said that one it was impossible to do. Guess which one it was?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

I remember when Geoff Johns was writing Flash he was revamping all the villains, and said that one it was impossible to do. Guess which one it was?

What is Rainbow Raider's special shtick? Does he have a gun, or mutant color powers? Is he on rollerskates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

He had goggles that could do lots of visual based stuff, but particularly, he could control people's emotions.

• Locked thread