Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I turned on the Bellator main event after the hunto loss and good lord that was an awful fight. It was a battle of who could do the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Tito Ortiz: $300,000
Stephan Bonnar: $100,000
Ortiz def. Bonnar via split decision

Will Brooks: $62,000 ($31,000 to show, $31,000 to win)
Michael Chandler: $25,000
Brooks def. Chandler via technical knockout

Joe Schilling: $25,000
Melvin Manhoef: $10,000
Schilling def. Manhoef via knockout

Mike Richman: $30,000 ($20,000 to show, $10,000 to win)
Nam Phan: $5,600
Richman def. Phan via knockout

Muhammed Lawal: $10,000
Joe Vedepo: $10,000
Lawal def. Vedepo via technical knockout

Joao Faria: $5,000 ($2,500 to show, $2,500 to win)
Ian Butler: $1,500
Faria def. Butler via submission

A.J. Matthews: $10,000 ($5,000 to show, $5,000 to win)
Kyle Bolt: $2,000
Matthews def. Bolt via knockout

Jonathan Santa Maria: $4,000 ($2,000 to show, $2,000 to win)
Ron Henderson: $2,000
Santa Maria def. Henderson via split decision

Andy Murad: $8,000 ($4,000 to show, $4,000 to win)
Bubba Pugh: $2,000
Murad def. Pugh via split decision

Nicolas Garcia: $8,000 ($4,000 to show, $4,000 to win)
Matthew Ramirez: $2,000
Garcia def. Ramirez via submission

Jordan Bailey: $5,000 ($2,500 to show, $2,500 to win)
Alex Higley: $1,500
Bailey def. Higley via submission

Rolando Perez: $2,000
Mark Vorgeas: $2,000
Perez fought Vorgeas to a split draw

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mike Richman vs. Nam Poorman

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm not sure if it's unbelievable or completely believable that King Mo is supposedly only getting 10k a fight

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
He gets paid for TNA too or something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm just happy Brooks steamrolled Chandler again.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Cormier started seriously considering mma when he saw the money Mo was banking

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Nope

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 19, 2014

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm just happy Brooks steamrolled Chandler again.

They'll find another way to make Chandler the champ. Don't you worry.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

1st AD posted:

He gets paid for TNA too or something.

lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I like how Bellator is doing the burger king approach now. We aren't number one...so lets create poo poo with 50 thousand calories because when people complain about fast food being junk they're talking about McDonalds anyway.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Let's not call it Bellator anymore, there's no more tournaments and they have an entrance ramp. It's Strikeforce all over again.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like how Bellator is doing the burger king approach now. We aren't number one...so lets create poo poo with 50 thousand calories because when people complain about fast food being junk they're talking about McDonalds anyway.

uhhhhhhhh, excuse me?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Triticum Guzzler posted:

uhhhhhhhh, excuse me?

There was an interview a long rear end time ago with an (ex?) executive of theirs where they said when fast food really started getting hit for needing to be more healthy they purposefully didn't respond as forcefully or quickly as McD's because 1) they didn't have to, as McD's is the "face" of fast food (when people were saying fast food is giving everyone diabetes, they would say big macs and happy meals were doing it) and 2) to see if they could gain ground by still putting out new 1k calorie burgers while McD's focussed on healthier food. They came around eventually because it was later proven that there's money in it, but that happened.

The analogue being Bellator putting on gimmicky poo poo like putting Bonnar/Ortiz as the main event with glee and letting the UFC fret about whether or not they're hurting legitimacy when they put together a less than respectable matchup. Scott Coker doesn't have to worry about it as much because people talk and care more about Conor Mcgregor getting this or that than Bellator being trashy.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 19, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There was an interview a long rear end time ago with an (ex?) executive of theirs where they said when fast food really started getting hit for needing to be more healthy they purposefully didn't respond as forcefully or quickly as McD's because 1) they didn't have to, as McD's is the "face" of fast food (when people were saying fast food is giving everyone diabetes, they would say big macs and happy meals were doing it) and 2) to see if they could gain ground by still putting out new 1k calorie burgers while McD's focussed on healthier food. They came around eventually because it was later proven that there's money in it, but that happened.

The analogue being Bellator putting on gimmicky poo poo like putting Bonnar/Ortiz as the main event with glee and letting the UFC fret about whether or not they're hurting legitimacy when they put together a less than respectable matchup. Scott Coker doesn't have to worry about it as much because people talk and care more about Conor Mcgregor getting this or that than Bellator being trashy.

The term for this I believe is "shadow marketing." It's brilliant because it not only displaces responsibility, as you say, on the market leader, but it allows you to appeal to the demographics which are sick of all of the bullshit that accompanies whatever the main trend is. To extend the food example, in a marketplace obsessed with health, fitness, and discipline, to package something as a treat, indulgence, or luxury is that strategy. Bellator is establishing itself as the platform for people who care more about cool knockouts to competitive elite decisions, who prefer trash talk to respectful athletes, and who couldn't care less about talent development, prospects, or legitimacy, as long as that stuff gets in the way of witnessing someone get hurt in an entertaining way. Bellator is Micheal Bay to the UFC's Wes Anderson (rough analogy, but it makes the point).

The trick in MMA is that the people (like me) who like the competitive technical fights, respectful athletes, and legitimacy will still tune in for the popcorn promotion in which fat guys who consider it cowardly to slip punches get put up against K1-level kickboxers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If I thought the UFC was a movie director I would say they are Christopher Nolan, because they had to bankroll their own breakout and think their livelihood has meaning beyond hunky guys being violent and embroiled in inexplicable timelines.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Christopher Nolan sounds good. I just went with the first non-asplosiony-blockbuster but still pretty popular and money-making director that came to mind. Maybe Bellator could be Uwe Bol, in that he doesn't actually try to make good movies, and many of the viewers are on board just to see what kind of trainwreck results.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Oplot is Tommy Wiseau that's all I know

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oplot is Tommy Wiseau that's all I know

SFL would be Wiseau, Oplot would be movies that only show up in 8mm or a film made by Serbians

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yuriy posted:

SFL would be Wiseau, Oplot would be movies that only show up in 8mm or a film made by Serbians

Srđan Spasojević

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

PRIDE would be Takeshi Kitano who's works are either comedic or extremely violent, also Yakuza involved.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Joshua Oppenheimer is a lot like Oplot in that both of them filmed war criminals

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

masato tatanka posted:

PRIDE would be Takeshi Kitano who's works are either comedic or extremely violent, also Yakuza involved.

And both of them wound up overdubbed on Spike

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I rescind all my prior Bellator statements, effective immediately.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Is this man, a manager of fighters with UFC contracts, aware that he looks like a homeless hobo talking to a nudge at night court?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Vanessa Porto out, roxy fights some chicked named Andrea Lee

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuriy posted:

At this rate I'm starting to get concerned that Roxy is going to put together a winning streak against novices and cans and then end up welcoming Cyborg to 35. That won't be pretty.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Captain Log posted:

Is this man, a manager of fighters with UFC contracts, aware that he looks like a homeless hobo talking to a nudge at night court?

I'm glad someone else understood how many layers of weirdness were in this picture because there are a few

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

According to the guy who conducted the interview, Kogan isn't actually Nate's manager anymore.

Bloody Elbow posted:

I was told Kogan resigned because the UFC wouldn’t talk to him so he thought it was a waste of his clients money to pay an intermediary.

:laffo:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
So Kogan resigned and Nate immediately got a decent fight?

weird.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I realize I have noted and posted a shitload of examples of how incompetent and racist Kogan is but jesus how incompetent do you have to be to get blackballed so bad by the UFC even you know it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I'm glad someone else understood how many layers of weirdness were in this picture because there are a few

Exactly.

What's going on with that weird chair back there? Where did it come from? That's a weird looking chair.

Did someone go to Home Depot and hammer together abunch of cheap wood to make some sort of work bench? It doesn't look like someone spent more than twenty bucks and spent thirty minutes of times to get that together.

Also, are those blank cork board behind him in the photo?

I would like to challenge someone to find a not problem in that photo. Everything is a problem on some level.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yuriy posted:

If that's KGB Lee then Roxy is gonna get murdered.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

1st AD posted:

If that's KGB Lee then Roxy is gonna get murdered.

Apparently it is, who is she and what has she done

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

She's like a flyweight Cerrone. Lanky striker, wears a cowboy hat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh poo poo she was on Invicta 9. There were many extra vaginas visible in the ring when she was finished with her opponent.

She actually reminded me more of Wonderboy than of Cerrone.

Yeah. Roxy is in trouble.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

She actually reminded me more of Wonderboy than of Cerrone.

She fights way more like Cerrone than Thompson. How does she remind you of him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I honestly can't remember, so it was just the impression from the one fight which I saw. It could have been that she threw a kick like the one he used to KO Stittigen. Upon reflection she did spend more time in the clinch than either of them tend to.