Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That's the one I have. Does what it says on the tin, not much else to say about it.
Don't leave it plugged in all the time though, OBD ports are on unswitched power so I have wrecked a battery with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, good to know I was hoping to just leave it plugged in always. What's the power draw like ?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I haven't measured it, but I can't see it drawing a ton of power. The only reason I killed that battery is it was sitting for 3 months with the car stationary, and while the battery probably would have survived even at that point had I charged it, it was just discharged enough to freeze at the first cold snap we got. Plus it was a cheapshit battery.
(hell, I had it constantly plugged into the Vibe for a few months prior to putting it into the Kia and forgetting about it, but I DD that car so it never caused an issue)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 20, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tommychu posted:

I haven't measured it, but I can't see it drawing a ton of power. The only reason I killed that battery is it was sitting for 3 months with the car stationary, and while the battery probably would have survived even at that point had I charged it, it was just discharged enough to freeze at the first cold snap we got. Plus it was a cheapshit battery.
(hell, I had it constantly plugged into the Vibe for a few months prior to putting it into the Kia and forgetting about it, but I DD that car so it never caused an issue)

Ok cool so a few days not driving here and there will likely be fine, it's an interstate battery which is fresh, the old one treated me well despite draining it dry many times while camping.

I've drawn up a cool relay circuit to use with a second battery that all my auxillary poo poo will run off of, amps, lights etc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How the hell do I sort by shipping time on amazon. Don't really care if the shipping is free if it won't arrive until january.

edit: Got one off ebay shipped from Winnipeg for $16. Thanks for the answers. Now I wonder if I can get torque to auto-clear my POS evap code on startup.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 20, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If it's not prime eligible, it's probably coming from China/Hong Kong. So if you want to make sure it's quick, see if it's sold or fullfilled by Amazon.

That said, seems to me mine only took about 2 weeks. Hell, I ordered a soft case for my drone last month from Hong Kong on Amazon and I get the thing, I poo poo you not, 4 days later. Blew me away.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

If it's not prime eligible, it's probably coming from China/Hong Kong. So if you want to make sure it's quick, see if it's sold or fullfilled by Amazon.

That said, seems to me mine only took about 2 weeks. Hell, I ordered a soft case for my drone last month from Hong Kong on Amazon and I get the thing, I poo poo you not, 4 days later. Blew me away.

Yup I've been bringing in a ton of lightbars from hongkong and they typically arrive in 7 days. It's cheaper and quicker to ship from China than California. gently caress you Monoprice and everyone between them and me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Yup I've been bringing in a ton of lightbars from hongkong and they typically arrive in 7 days. It's cheaper and quicker to ship from China than California. gently caress you Monoprice and everyone between them and me.

That so? Where are you getting said cheapo lightbars from, DX?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Yup I've been bringing in a ton of lightbars from hongkong and they typically arrive in 7 days.

I am intrigued by this statement. What kind of light bars? Off road/white light stuff or whacker/fire/ems stuff?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

I am intrigued by this statement. What kind of light bars? Off road/white light stuff or whacker/fire/ems stuff?

Yeah basically cheap chinese Rigid brand knockoffs. They work well, I've gotten the lens to fog up inside after pressure washing, but if you run it for awhile it will evaporate.

http://stores.ebay.ca/XXL-Technology/LED-working-light-/_i.html?_fsub=5195793015&_sid=1076333635&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 Is the ebay store I have been using however if you just search ebay with "light bar 30" or whatever size you want you can usually find something.

The newer curved bars are much better than the flat ones. the spotlight is stretched out more without wasting light like the "flood/spot" combo bars.

I just send one of these to my father for his birthday.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301270699651?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I had a chance to see it light up, and gently caress me does it work well. I use mine for traveling highway 40 at night, there are elk all over the place right now.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 20, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's pretty awesome. Thanks for the pointer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-winter-too-much-for-one-cbc-radio-listener-1.2840916

Not Alberta, but :canada:

1 minute on it gets good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nailed it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love how someone felt it was an important enough message that it had to get out to the people even though they couldn't air it because of the language.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
"This province is the rear end in a top hat of the world!"
Yup, this is pretty accurate. And I love the parts about hanging yourself. The drop gets real short when you fall into that snowdrift, though, which just makes you more depressed and now you've got rope burns on your neck, too.

I walk across the Train Bridge every day here, and

Wikipedia posted:

the bridge is one of the most well known suicide spots in Saskatoon.
though I've never seen a person I thought was going for it. I've seen kids sitting on the outside of the railing, or one the little platforms outside the railing, but they always struck me as "gotta show the world how I don't give a gently caress" rather than "gonna jump". And either there are relatively few jumpers or the news is good at suppressing the stories to avoid copy-cat suicides because the wiki article is the only place I've seen that bridge and suicide mentioned together.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If Saskatchewan is the rear end in a top hat of the world, does that make Alberta the hemorrhoid of the world?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
taint?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

No Manitoba is the taint because they are between the rear end in a top hat and the dick.

You see because Ontario is the dick of the world :smuggo:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Edit f b

Naw its the gooch.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That would make us a pilonidal cyst I guess?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Canada has weird anatomy, they put the rear end in a top hat right next to the armpit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrChips posted:

If Saskatchewan is the rear end in a top hat of the world, does that make Alberta the hemorrhoid of the world?

gunt
There is enough fat hillbilly trailer trash here, it really is.

Gotta admit though, I love the far south. Even though it's full of bible thumpers gently caress me there are a lot of attractive women and the weather is generally pretty decent.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

bible thumpers

Haha that makes sense now with all the pro life billboards on #3

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
yo I heard you like Alberta so I put some Alberta in yo Alberta

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Get out you Saskatchewan hutterite

Timmy Cruise posted:

Haha that makes sense now with all the pro life billboards on #3

If I had money to burn I'd buy a chunk of highway frontage and put up a billboard on either the Crowsnest or Hwy 4 to the US border that says "ABORTIONS FOR ALL" just for the frothing at the mouth letters to the editor in the paper that would immediately follow.

I mean, we have an honest to god Creation Museum down here.

The ironic part is that Lethbridge itself is a diverse & vibrant city (well, as much as a 100K city can be) in several ways compared to much of Alberta. We have a great University with students from all over the world and a college with students from all over Canada & US. I think it's largely due to the negligible oil/gas industry base which seems to breed redneck behavior.

But Mormons and hardcore Catholics are everywhere.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

Hey now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

slidebite posted:

If I had money to burn I'd buy a chunk of highway frontage and put up a billboard on either the Crowsnest or Hwy 4 to the US border that says "ABORTIONS FOR ALL" just for the frothing at the mouth letters to the editor in the paper that would immediately follow.

That would be hilarious. I have to look at all those billboards every time I come there.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

The ironic part is that Lethbridge itself is a diverse & vibrant city (well, as much as a 100K city can be) in several ways compared to much of Alberta. We have a great University with students from all over the world and a college with students from all over Canada & US. I think it's largely due to the negligible oil/gas industry base which seems to breed redneck behavior.

But Mormons and hardcore Catholics are everywhere.

I miss Lethbridge now

For all its craziness and "gently caress you if you want to do something other than church on a Sunday" attitude, it's still such a great town.

Also you get like two less months of winter

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MrChips posted:

No Manitoba is the taint because they are between the rear end in a top hat and the dick.

You see because Ontario is the dick of the world :smuggo:

Being from Manitoba and now living in Ontario, this is mostly true.
Manitoba's more the forgotten zone that everyone ignores. But at least we're not Saskebush. loving Bunnyhugs. Its a hoodie, guys, its a loving hoodie.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Siochain posted:

loving Bunnyhugs. Its a hoodie, guys, its a loving hoodie.

I agree with you, being from Ontario & Alberta (born, grew up, respectively) but you don't have to convince me, you have to convince all of these people:

and they don't look very willing to listen to anyone who voluntarily chose to move to Onterrible.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

I'm spending the weekend in big valley. Home of the big valley creation science museum (HOOOOOO-DOGGIES). It's literally that and Jensen contact flooring on the map when you look at that town on Google maps.

Siochain posted:

loving Bunnyhugs. Its a hoodie, guys, its a loving hoodie.

Seriously, my brother in law is from Provost and he calls them that. How did that even become a thing?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think I have ever heard the term "bunnyhug" until now. Sounds sexual. :ohdear:

DrakeriderCa posted:

I miss Lethbridge now

For all its craziness and "gently caress you if you want to do something other than church on a Sunday" attitude, it's still such a great town.

Also you get like two less months of winter

For what it's worth, Lethbridge misses you too. :love:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ExecuDork posted:

I agree with you, being from Ontario & Alberta (born, grew up, respectively) but you don't have to convince me, you have to convince all of these people:

and they don't look very willing to listen to anyone who voluntarily chose to move to Onterrible.

Hahah. I actually don't mind Sask, had a lot of good times in Regina/Saskatoon. I honestly love pretty much everywhere in Canada, except Toronto. gently caress you Toronto. Most places have pretty cool people, and we've got so much gorgeous country. Best place I've been was Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. Nicest folks in the world, and some of the prettiest views ever.

And nobody knows how bunnyhug ~really~ started, but man is it ever a weird term hahah.

fake'ish edit - moved to Onterrible for wifes stupidly-good-paying job. If she can get one somewhere else, we'll probably leave in a year or two.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

I'm spending the weekend in big valley.

I will write up a full trip report upon my return, but wow, this is quite a place.

Notables thus far:
-Casual bar talk behind my table involved claims of running over a moose with a combine harvester.
-comparing 'war' wound stories from midnight truck rollovers, both drunken and sober.
-me telling seat safety switch that I feel like an albertathropologist via text message.
-losing my camouflage pants on the bed sheets for five minutes because I couldn't see them :saddowns:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And you haven't even experienced the best part. The small wafting over from the oilfield waste disposal site less than 2km off main street. If you're in town, look northeast and you'll probably see the flare.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I don't understand the bunny hug hate. It's a better word than Hoodie. :colbert:

Y'all haven't even tasted Vico you don't know how to live

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What the Christ is vico?

That some kinda eastern thing? :bahgawd:

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Slung Blade posted:

What the Christ is vico?

That some kinda eastern thing? :bahgawd:

It's chocolate milk...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've been in Saskatoon for 5 years, I've heard "bunny hug" many, many times and I drink lots of chocolate milk and related beverages. I've never heard of Vi-Co.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

ExecuDork posted:

I've been in Saskatoon for 5 years, I've heard "bunny hug" many, many times and I drink lots of chocolate milk and related beverages. I've never heard of Vi-Co.

They shut down Vico in 95, so that's probably why.