Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I'm not hip so the only person I've seen wear these kind of pants was Justin Beiber on tv once and I just assumed that was a fad that began and ended with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

davebo posted:

I'm not hip so the only person I've seen wear these kind of pants was Justin Beiber on tv once and I just assumed that was a fad that began and ended with him.

In a perfect world.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

couldcareless posted:

I'm so glad we have woot fatigue posts back in this thread

Add me to that train! This thread is both more interesting and more mind boggling with Woot Fatigue actively posting. I like to imagine Woot Fatigue wearing a 800$ plaid shirt while sitting on a 5000$ chair with a huge stack of 20$ bills right next to him while he browses the internet for something crazy/awesome/ridiculous/all of those at the same time.

It's crazy because I can't even imagine having enough money to even consider buying those sweat pants if I liked the style. But I'd probably make so many ridiculous purchase if I had that sort of money that I can't judge

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Nov 19, 2014

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Finally gonna upgrade my GPU from a Radeon HD6850. It's served me well but it's time to move on. :feelsgood:

Also if you guys aren't following Woot Fatigue on Instagram, you're missing out on so much raccoon action.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Upgrading as the previous cheapie broke:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-33-725-25-Feet-FatMax-Measure/dp/B00002PV66

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

The real test of a tape measure is how far you can reel it out in the air before it "breaks" and goes limp.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Woot buy a supercharger for a e46 and then ship it to me hahaha. It's for a project.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Humerus posted:

Finally gonna upgrade my GPU from a Radeon HD6850. It's served me well but it's time to move on. :feelsgood:

16 days ago someone posted that here and I made fun of the fan stickers trying to hypnotize me, but since hearing about the low fan noise I was actually very interested in this card and started reading reviews. I see a lot of complaints about coil whine and others saying they were concerned about it but weren't experiencing it on their cards. After you receive it would you mind posting your experience with it? Same applies to App13 if you're still following the thread.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Got this as a Christmas present for my older brother. Might need to get myself a copy now too.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Woot buy a supercharger for a e46 and then ship it to me hahaha. It's for a project.

I read that as "bought". So disappointed.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

davebo posted:

16 days ago someone posted that here and I made fun of the fan stickers trying to hypnotize me, but since hearing about the low fan noise I was actually very interested in this card and started reading reviews. I see a lot of complaints about coil whine and others saying they were concerned about it but weren't experiencing it on their cards. After you receive it would you mind posting your experience with it? Same applies to App13 if you're still following the thread.

I am always here.

So right after I plugged in the strix I though I had screwed something up, because it made literally no sound. Fans did not spin up, no whine, nothing. Turns out the fans are just completely off until they are needed. After figuring this out I opened up Heaven benchmark and maxed everything out (ultra settings, 8x AA, 1440p) to try and stress the card. At 40% fan speed the fan was still barely noticeable under the sound of the i5 4670k stock cooler. The highest that the fan got to was 50%, and I would describe the sound as "clean." You could hear a fan, and it sounded like a fan. There was none of the "jet starting" noise that I hear some people get, and any coil whine that may be there was not noticeable to me. After manually putting the fan speed to 100% for a moment I still did not hear any whine, but I did hear the fans quite a bit.

As for the card itself, it performs quite well. If you are looking for something to push 90+fps at 1440p, you might be out of luck, but 60fps at 120fps+ at 1080p is certainly doable. The fans are off during most normal computer usage, and the card idles at 35-40c. Also, the card is quite long, so keep that in mind if you have a small case. I had to remove the HDD chassis in my Fractal Core 1000 to fit this card in, though I was then able to put the chassis back. Overall I'm really happy with the card, and at $350 I think it has a pretty solid value.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Content:
Paid off my 2007 Civic today. Picture is of the day I bought it back in 2012. Debt free is the way to be!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Sappo569 posted:

Either that model has the most elongated pelvis in history or those are dangerously close to being 'drop crotch'

They are drop crotch sweat pants, and they're $600

I think you might be brain damaged :derp:

Please, don't drop-shame.

Content:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/207925240/bicycle-ultimate-universe-playing-cards/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/625059603/paperwallet-a-super-thin-tyvek-wallet-designed-by/

MaliciousOnion has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Nov 19, 2014

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Awesome, I'm a fan of tiny wallets, and the one I've owned for 6 years now is starting to fall apart.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Welp. I didn't think I needed playing cards. Apparently I was wrong.

Also backed this project because every once in a while you need to shotgun a beer. :colbert:

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales
AMAZING WHITE

SAVE FUEL (Really??)

Whatever, poo poo's bright.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wow these are fantastic. Backed. Want to do a framing project or something with the colored deck.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

wigbot v2.0 posted:

AMAZING WHITE

SAVE FUEL (Really??)

Where did you get this? I've been thinking about doing my car, but hate trying to figure out which codes match up with the non-led codes.

ndPunkOne
Aug 5, 2002

All the blanket talk and cold weather pushed me over the edge. Picked up a couple wool blankets from Faribault since they are MADE IN AMERICA :fsmug:, no more made in china fleece.

http://www.faribaultmill.com/our-heritage

App13
Dec 31, 2011

IndyPunkOne posted:

All the blanket talk and cold weather pushed me over the edge. Picked up a couple wool blankets from Faribault since they are MADE IN AMERICA :fsmug:, no more made in china fleece.

http://www.faribaultmill.com/our-heritage

If I had known how much wool blankets cost, I would have nabbed one from the ship before I left the Navy.

Granted it would have to be a new one, not one of the gross used ones.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

Ran out of mustache wax, bought some more

yes, I am indeed an insufferable rear end in a top hat, how did you guess

My moustache never grows BUT this did make me look into the existence of Beard Wax! Thanks!

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

PleasusChrist posted:

Where did you get this? I've been thinking about doing my car, but hate trying to figure out which codes match up with the non-led codes.

Not sure if they have any that would match your car but I ordered LED lights for my G35 from Diode Dynamics. They work great, direct plug and play fitment, stupid bright and are very cheap. Check out their website.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I didn't think wool was anything special until I bought a genuine merino wool cycling jersey. On cold nights I would bike up hill and i'd start sweating like crazy, then when i'd coast downhill my body temperature would drop and my own sweat would start making me shiver. But the wool keeps you warm even when its wet, while allowing moisture to evaporate. It's naturally anti bacterial so after using it on 3 rides without washing it, it barely smells, when a cotton shirt would be reeking of b.o.

Time to ride elephants and blow poo poo up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That cover is worse than the original Mega Man cover. Yeesh.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Let's not say things we can't take back.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ragequit posted:

Wow these are fantastic. Backed. Want to do a framing project or something with the colored deck.

Yeah I wish I could justify getting a print; I guess i can live with just the cards.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PleasusChrist posted:

Also backed this project because every once in a while you need to shotgun a beer. :colbert:
USA only, gently caress those guys.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
After 24 years of playing bass I've decided that it's finally time to go ahead and get on the fretless train. Since my current money situation precludes my being able to buy a new fretless version of my beloved Spector NS-2 (or even a used one for that matter), I figured my best bet would be to find the nicest budget version of an NS-2 I could and either pay someone to convert the fretboard or do the work myself. So I went and lucked into finding a really nice used Spector NS-2A from around 1987-88 or so in great condition:

Grand total was a whopping $449 (plus $40 shipping) on ebay.

Even though Spector is still making inexpensive versions of their basses in the same Korean factory, the new ones aren't really on the same level as the ones they made back in the day (at least in my opinion, anyway). Unlike the modern ones, these old NS-2As are all neck-through instead of bolt on (just like the USA NS-2s) and they have solid maple body wings instead of having a laminated maple top over mahogany. Granted it's not figured maple, but the tone is still pretty close to the USA ones. So between the price I paid for the bass and the cost to have the frets removed and filled in (I'm still collecting estimates from various luthiers for that part) I'll be getting myself a really nice instrument for a fraction of the cost of either an American or European made NS-2 (list prices $5899 and $3099 respectively). Plus, it will fit in nicely alongside the two NS-2s that I already have (a glossy tobacco sunburst and a natural hand rubbed oil finish, both over solid figured maple body wings). So yeah, I'm pretty drat excited about this as you can tell from all the words I'm typing about a bass that no one else is really gonna care about. I'm just happy to finally have something cool to post in the 'Favorite Recent Purchases' thread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I care. Spektor's rule and that's a great find. Have fun realizing you have terrible pitch :v:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
drat that's a good price for a neck-thru bass from a good maker. Don't skimp on the luthier work, if they mess up the fingerboard or create a dead spot it will be a pain in the rear end to fix.

E: make sure you post updates in the Bass thread in Musician's Lounge. I can't be the only one who would like to do a similar project myself.

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Nov 20, 2014

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Bottom Liner posted:

I care. Spektor's rule and that's a great find. Have fun realizing you have terrible pitch :v:

Yeah, I can't wait to see just how poo poo I am at hitting the right notes without frets. It's gonna take some practice but I'm sure I'll get it eventually. I'm really hoping that the last 25 years haven't been a total waste, you know? I've also been a Spector user for 20 of those 25 years, so I've got my fingers crossed that my familiarity with the neck and body shape will help. And hey, since I now know there are other folks here who like Spectors (and since I really like showing them off) here are some pics of the two USA made NS-2s (both from the Kramer era) I have now:

A group shot:

A close up of the tobacco sunburst one (made around Halloween 1990), which I've had since 1994:

(can you believe this bass is 24 years old?)

And a close up of the oil finish one (made sometime in 1987/88), which I've had since about 1998:

(I hope it's ok to post pics of stuff we already have; if not I'll be happy to edit them out)

CaseFace McGee posted:

drat that's a good price for a neck-thru bass from a good maker. Don't skimp on the luthier work, if they mess up the fingerboard or create a dead spot it will be a pain in the rear end to fix.

E: make sure you post updates in the Bass thread in Musician's Lounge. I can't be the only one who would like to do a similar project myself.

I'm definitely not gonna cheap out on the labor for converting the NS-2A. That would just render the whole project a big 'ol waste of money, and as you can tell from what I just posted I don't really tolerate lovely workmanship on my instruments. I haven't really poked around the Musician's Lounge all that much (except for an occasional foray into the gear exchange thread) so maybe I'll have a look at the bass thread and post some progress pics once the bass arrives and I've had the work done.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

wigbot v2.0 posted:

AMAZING WHITE

SAVE FUEL (Really??)

You will actually save a little bit of fuel because there is less demand on your alternator meaning the engine doesn't have to work quite as hard to turn it. The difference is probably negligible though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bought another fully-furred moose hide for my bed.

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice
Heading to the US on some business soon so I'm loading up on some hardware that is expensive to get in Europe. In particular bought the 500 GB model of this:

I'm tired of my only 130 GB SSD primary in my desktop running out of space for games so it's time to upgrade and start replacing various components in the computer over the next two years.

Not pictured: a bunch of miscellaneous electronics, video games and an Xbox One.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JEEVES420 posted:

The real test of a tape measure is how far you can reel it out in the air before it "breaks" and goes limp.

The "Fat Max" I have did a full 10' when I first got it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Novara Headwind Bike Gloves.

Fellow studio-mate & goon Crosshatch recommended these gloves for riding in the winter, and they're on sale at REI. Found out that getting the women's version gives me better touchscreen controls since it's more snug than the men's version.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Boots and snowshoes I posted earlier come today, decided to order this to go with them.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

PleasusChrist posted:

eBay, as it happens. Just search "[car model] LED interior pack" or something similar. Came up straight away. £21 delivered from China to the UK, and in only 10 days.

It came with a little invoice too, which showed which bulbs went where so installation really was a doddle. Hardest part was getting the light housings out of the drat car.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I like to think that if Woot Fatigue was in poverty, he'd still post things he got great deals on or acquired through some client or networking but it would be things like sandwiches, off brand TVs and Snuggies.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The Mentalizer posted:

Yeah, I can't wait to see just how poo poo I am at hitting the right notes without frets. It's gonna take some practice but I'm sure I'll get it eventually. I'm really hoping that the last 25 years haven't been a total waste, you know? I've also been a Spector user for 20 of those 25 years, so I've got my fingers crossed that my familiarity with the neck and body shape will help. And hey, since I now know there are other folks here who like Spectors (and since I really like showing them off) here are some pics of the two USA made NS-2s (both from the Kramer era) I have now:

A group shot:

A close up of the tobacco sunburst one (made around Halloween 1990), which I've had since 1994:

(can you believe this bass is 24 years old?)

And a close up of the oil finish one (made sometime in 1987/88), which I've had since about 1998:

(I hope it's ok to post pics of stuff we already have; if not I'll be happy to edit them out)

I'm definitely not gonna cheap out on the labor for converting the NS-2A. That would just render the whole project a big 'ol waste of money, and as you can tell from what I just posted I don't really tolerate lovely workmanship on my instruments. I haven't really poked around the Musician's Lounge all that much (except for an occasional foray into the gear exchange thread) so maybe I'll have a look at the bass thread and post some progress pics once the bass arrives and I've had the work done.
god bless ned steinberger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mr_Angry posted:

Heading to the US on some business soon so I'm loading up on some hardware that is expensive to get in Europe. In particular bought the 500 GB model of this:

I'm tired of my only 130 GB SSD primary in my desktop running out of space for games so it's time to upgrade and start replacing various components in the computer over the next two years.

Not pictured: a bunch of miscellaneous electronics, video games and an Xbox One.

Was it a good price? And from where?

I have the same problem, as I bought an 80gb and 120gb SSD back when they were still $200+ for the 80gb, my C drive is constantly running out of space.