Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

In Unity the Katana is the best sword you can buy for a while.

25k-ish, which isn't too bad. The next upgrades are 5 times that.
I've been using the 5k mace and wrecking things fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

In Unity the Katana is the best sword you can buy for a while.

25k-ish, which isn't too bad. The next upgrades are 5 times that.

Does it have the little Assassin symbol too? I'm wondering if we're finally getting our feudal Japan game next year.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

HaitianDivorce posted:

Does it have the little Assassin symbol too? I'm wondering if we're finally getting our feudal Japan game next year.

I know I'd be a total sucker for an Assassins Creed game set in feudal Japan. It's just the perfect and untapped setting for the series.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tracula posted:

It's just the perfect and untapped setting for the series.

You mean the next untapped fanservice genre period? We've done the Italian renaissance, we've done the American revolutionary war, we've done pirates of the Caribbean, we've done French revolution, what can we do in Japan now, Japan's popular, then maybe we can go to Germany during world war 1/2.

How about something a little more creative otherwise we're just going to get your typical Ubisoft lowest common denominator [popular theme] shite.

edit: apologies, forgot how many wars you guys have that the rest of the world doesn't give a poo poo about.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 20, 2014

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

You could get a fantastic story out of meji era japan, the gently caress are you on about.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just make a Rurouni Kenshin game, whoever.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Kin posted:

You mean the next untapped fanservice genre period? We've done the Italian renaissance, we've done the American civil war revolutionary war, we've done pirates of the Caribbean, we've done French revolution, what can we do in Japan now, Japan's popular, then maybe we can go to Germany during world war 1/2.

How about something a little more creative otherwise we're just going to get your typical Ubisoft lowest common denominator [popular theme] shite.

:eng101: fixed!

An American civil war AC game could be incredibly kickass if done right, though. Ubisoft would have to back off on the "but Templars are kinda good guys too, we promise :downs:" stuff and revert them back to cackling monsters but if it means we got a full-sized version of Freedom Cry I'd be down.

Imagine chatting with Frederick Douglass, confirming and spreading the story of Solomon Northup, working with Sherman on the March to the Sea... I really like the idea of the Assassins looking at the American revolution and going "Mmmm, not good enough" and taking a very activist role in bringing down an unjust institution rather than just looking at any dude with a red cross on his chest and shanking him in the kidney.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kurtofan posted:

Just make a Rurouni Kenshin game, whoever.

It'd be like AC only killing bad guys AND civilians would make you lose sync :ohdear:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In terms of Europe it's a shame they skipped over the entire 17th century and the Thirty Years War. Central Europe isn't something you get to see very often in games and they could have done some cool stuff with Prague or Vienna.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
My go-to 'what era should the series do next' has always been China during the Taipeng rebellion. Which could be folded into the naval subseries by way of piracy in the South China Sea, if that's the way to go.

(And as far as I'm concerned if they're going to do WWII, they should stay well away from the battlefields and instead set the game in London during the Blitz.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I think the french revolution is as modern as it gets, because the costumes are just looking stupider and stupider as fashion changes.
I mean it was fine in the original AC because it was the Crusades and monks wore cowls and hoods similar to the assassins so it was fitting. In Ezio's trilogy it was fine too because again fashion in the Renaissance was silly like that. By the time of the American Revolution and the Caribbean stuff it looks stupid, and they seem to be toying with the idea of extending it further into the 1920's with the pinstripe suit with the absurd hood.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If they went to Japanese or US history I'd probably pass. I'd like to see something in the east or Africa, stuff that westerners never learn about. Like Turkey could've been great if they didn't bungle it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly the furthest forward they could probably go and still have it feel like an AC game is World War I.

That's the point where the tech shifts and combat with blades stops being practical. Assassin's Creed wouldn't be Assassin's Creed without it. Anything afterwards becomes a Call of Duty clone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

If they went to Japanese or US history I'd probably pass. I'd like to see something in the east or Africa, stuff that westerners never learn about. Like Turkey could've been great if they didn't bungle it.

they did turkey

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

they did turkey

Yep. Did you read the second half of the sentence before mashing reply?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yep. Did you read the second half of the sentence before mashing reply?

They didn't really bungle Turkey though, just presented it through the limited viewpoint of the visiting white European. If we got a Turkish Assassin working within Turkish history that would obviously be better but Revelations isn't really bad in its presentation of Turkey.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

macnbc posted:

Honestly the furthest forward they could probably go and still have it feel like an AC game is World War I.

That's the point where the tech shifts and combat with blades stops being practical. Assassin's Creed wouldn't be Assassin's Creed without it. Anything afterwards becomes a Call of Duty clone.

I think an AC taking place after blades are rendered completely irrelevant would probably take the form of something more like The Saboteur. That game had building-climbing parkour with guns in a European city--the same city as Unity. Replace the hidden blades with a sleeve gun and bam--AssCreed with guns as the primary armament.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 20, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HaitianDivorce posted:

:eng101: fixed!

An American civil war AC game could be incredibly kickass if done right, though. Ubisoft would have to back off on the "but Templars are kinda good guys too, we promise :downs:" stuff and revert them back to cackling monsters but if it means we got a full-sized version of Freedom Cry I'd be down.

Imagine chatting with Frederick Douglass, confirming and spreading the story of Solomon Northup, working with Sherman on the March to the Sea... I really like the idea of the Assassins looking at the American revolution and going "Mmmm, not good enough" and taking a very activist role in bringing down an unjust institution rather than just looking at any dude with a red cross on his chest and shanking him in the kidney.

Yeah, maybe you can kill stonewall jackson, or even better you shoot J.W. Booth in the spine in a burning barn.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

pengun101 posted:

Yeah, maybe you can kill stonewall jackson, or even better you shoot J.W. Booth in the spine in a burning barn.

Part of me wants this to go fully insensitive and crazy in reverse and have it be that Lincoln was a Templar and Booth was, well, an Assassin.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Phetz posted:

I think an AC taking place after blades are rendered completely irrelevant would probably take the form of something more like The Saboteur. That game had building-climbing parkour with guns in a European city--the same city as Unity. Replace the hidden blades with a sleeve gun and bam--AssCreed with guns as the primary armament.

Do we really want to go to an AC universe where every single enemy has guns instead of swords and is therefore trying to shoot you all the time?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Tracula posted:

Part of me wants this to go fully insensitive and crazy in reverse and have it be that Lincoln was a Templar and Booth was, well, an Assassin.
In AC II it doesn't explicitly say where Booth's loyalties lay, only that he plotted with "political figures" to murder Lincoln and that he was subsequently killed by the Assassins, so I don't think he was one.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

This is the AC game I want to play next:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

kinmik posted:

In AC II it doesn't explicitly say where Booth's loyalties lay, only that he plotted with "political figures" to murder Lincoln and that he was subsequently killed by the Assassins, so I don't think he was one.

Yeah, I sort of figured something like that would be the case. I was just throwing that out there to be flippant and make a joke anyways. It would just amuse me if some actual real world assassins were made Assassins in universe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tracula posted:

X-men said that JFK was a mutant being assassinated because of it, and Magneto tried to stop it. So by comparison who is gonna be insensitive about Lincoln? I say do it.

Have all major assassinations be part of the plot. Why not?

Franz Ferdinand? Check. Gaius Julius? Check.

The only place where it gets insensitive is if we include MLK or John Lennon. :ohdear:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

macnbc posted:

If they built the mission sections of a modern AC game as a stealth/pistol run of Alpha Protocol with some quality-of-life improvements and parkour, I could dig it.

Of course, while I'm at it, I also want a million pounds of dank weed

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Crappy Jack posted:

Do we really want to go to an AC universe where every single enemy has guns instead of swords and is therefore trying to shoot you all the time?

We already have that, it's called Unity.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Definitely not with AC's current cover and firearm mechanics, but they could change that up. If they improved those and brought them more in line with say, GTA, I think that could potentially be cool provided they do enough other stuff to differentiate it from every other open-world game with cover mechanics out there.

Then again, with the apocalypse or whatever averted in present day and Desmond's story finished, does Ubi even have a reason to progress the games past that technology shift? I'm not up to date on the present day story past ACIII.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Phetz posted:

Definitely not with AC's current cover and firearm mechanics, but they could change that up. If they improved those and brought them more in line with say, GTA, I think that could potentially be cool provided they do enough other stuff to differentiate it from every other open-world game with cover mechanics out there.

Then again, with the apocalypse or whatever averted in present day and Desmond's story finished, does Ubi even have a reason to progress the games past that technology shift? I'm not up to date on the present day story past ACIII.

There isn't one!

Well there's all sorts of supplementary bullshit about what Desmond's dad is doing trying to lead the modern day Assassins and his buddies but it doesn't amount to anything. Meanwhile Shaun and Rebecca infiltrated Abstergo Entertainment in Black Flag to get some information but apparently as of Unity that hasn't amounted to anything. And in Rogue Juno's making some noises about being kind of a SHODAN rip-off I guess? But she has about a paragraph of her monologueing with an echo computer person voice so that really hasn't amounted to anything.

The charitable reading is that the last three games are just a bunch of setup for something really cool down the line! The sensible reading is that they're spinning their wheels, drawing out the metaplot for as long as they can and putting as little effort into it as possible.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I can't see how they can end the series,if they even do it before the series gets canceled, beyond the Templars and Assassins teaming up against a greater threat. Seeing as the last few games have been them painting the both teams as having good and bad sides and the truth being somewhere down the middle.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HaitianDivorce posted:

Meanwhile Shaun and Rebecca infiltrated Abstergo Entertainment in Black Flag to get some information but apparently as of Unity that hasn't amounted to anything.

Well, they did get a random hacker douche in Chicago to kill the COO of Abstergo Entertainment.

And if we're going hypothetical future games, I'd kill for a game set during the twilight years of the Qing dynasty. The old order is dying, there are guns but most people are too poor for them, and the Assassin's and Templars fit in a lot better because they could be sponsoring factions during the inevitable civil war. Though that's not likely because other than me, who the hell wants an Assassin's Creed game in a period that obscure?

Along those lines I'd love the Mexican Revolution. Pancho Villa could be an Assassin and Victoriano Huerta could be the Templar :yayclod:. And an overly convoluted plot would fit right in because holy crap that entire era was a clusterfuck.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

HaitianDivorce posted:

The charitable reading is that the last three games are just a bunch of setup for something really cool down the line! The sensible reading is that they're spinning their wheels, drawing out the metaplot for as long as they can and putting as little effort into it as possible.

I really, truly want to believe that someone at Ubisoft has a Master Plan for the modern-day story post AC3 and is playing a long game that will have a really awesome payoff in a year or three.

But I think we all know that isn't going to happen.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Man I really dislike a lot of the suggestions for new games going on in this thread. There are so many unique settings you could set these games in, and people are picking poo poo like Feudal Japan and the Civil War. The former has already been done (go play Tenchu), and do you really want these developers doing the Civil War after how they handled AC3? The only thing I can say to the suggestions of the 1920's is :barf::barf:.

For a game series about historical tourism and two secret cults fighting a hidden war against each other, there are way more interesting settings throughout history that are virtually untapped in video games thus so far. Here are some acceptable settings that would actually make good unique games:

1. An origin story for the Assassins vs Templar taking place in the last 60 years of the Neo-Babylonian Empire. Go back to the multi-city format of ACI and ACII with the 4 cities being Babylon of NeoBabylonia, Judah and Israel of Kingdom of Judah (Jerusalem), and Memphis of Egypt. Start in Babylon under Nebuchadnezzar II, move onward towards the invasion of Jerusalem, the mass deportation of the Jews to Babylon, and the writing of the Old Testament. Then go to the war in Egypt, showing off the great pyramids. End the game back in Babylon when the city falls to Cyrus the Great, and you witness the birth of the Achaemenid (Persian) Empire, as the new found assassins are forced to flee west to Rome.

2. Another 50-60 year lifespan story a la Ezio starring a Greo-Roman born in Athens, and taking place in the final years of the transition from the Roman Republic to the Roman Empire. The first half of the game would be in Athens, focusing on conflicts between the multiple Roman factions following Caesar's death. The second half would take place in Alexandria focusing on the Final War of the Roman Republic between Octavian and Mark Antony. Key things you could see in the game are Great Library, Great Lighthouse, Parthenon, Octavian, Mark Antony, Cleopatra.

3. A game taking place in the African kingdoms of Mali, Gana, or Songhai. I don't really know much about the history here, but it's a relatively untouched area in almost all forms of modern media, and I'm sure you could make a pretty cool story.

4. If you really must keep the time period moving forward, then at least do something interesting like India under the rule of the British in the 1800s.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is the game unplayable for anyone else? My wife can't play on our xbone - it won't load at all. It just sits at the "Checking for additional content" screen forever and ever and ever and ever, even if we disconnect the xbox from the internet. It worked just fine two days ago, this seems like a recent problem.

EDIT: After about five minutes it finally loaded the game but it appears to have deleted her save game and has started her all over. That's...not ideal.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 20, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Arcturas posted:

Is the game unplayable for anyone else? My wife can't play on our xbone - it won't load at all. It just sits at the "Checking for additional content" screen forever and ever and ever and ever, even if we disconnect the xbox from the internet. It worked just fine two days ago, this seems like a recent problem.

EDIT: After about five minutes it finally loaded the game but it appears to have deleted her save game and has started her all over. That's...not ideal.

Does XBL have cloud save backups like PS+?

Because if not.. Uh.. Oops?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Any word on new patches and stuff for the PS4? Or is 15-20fps and constant sandwich-making-length load times this as good as the game is going to get?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 20, 2014

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

macnbc posted:

Does XBL have cloud save backups like PS+?

Because if not.. Uh.. Oops?

Yeah, it should...I think the problem is that for some godawful reason it doesn't normally save the save file locally, so it currently can't access the cloud save file and created one locally. We've deleted the local file and are currently hoping that it's inability to access the cloud save covered the time when it had a duplicate save. i.e. we're hoping it'll properly download the cloud save eventually. But I'm super pissed in any event, because it should keep a local copy of the save. What if I wanted to play offline?

EDIT: Welp, apparently the local overwrites the cloud so my wife's save is completely deleted. She had something like 20 hours into that save over the last week and is really mad right now.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 20, 2014

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone is forgetting one era for future games.... The far future. I'm talking about climbing megastructures insides arcologies on Mars, or Earth if you are boring. Maybe even on generation ships. If anything the Templars have been shown to be patient and the Assassins as incompetent(talking about you AC Rogue but able to bumble along and by chance stop the Templars;so this could be a while.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcturas posted:

EDIT: Welp, apparently the local overwrites the cloud so my wife's save is completely deleted. She had something like 20 hours into that save over the last week and is really mad right now.

Enjoy your AAA $60 game :iamafag: Expect more where that came from. Please give us $60 for our next game. Please. I know our stocks are down but please give us more money.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Tracula posted:

Enjoy your AAA $60 game :iamafag: Expect more where that came from. Please give us $60 for our next game. Please. I know our stocks are down but please give us more money.

Only you`re actually giving $60 to some wall street guy who thinks video games are a waste of time. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antequek
May 30, 2014
If I never played played Assassins creed 4, would it be worth grabbing rogue or should I just grab a copy of 4 for cheap come boxing day?

• Locked thread