Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My review of the Voyage: "Buttons" are a gimmick, flush screen is nice, but Kindle Paperwhite 2 is perfectly fine for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think the next page buttons are mounted too low. The previous page buttons are perfect for where the next page buttons should be.

I have noticed that the battery life isn't super stellar. I'd easily sacrifice some thickness for an extra few weeks of battery. Right now I'm charging every 2-3 weeks while my Touch could go around 5.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think the next page buttons are mounted too low. The previous page buttons are perfect for where the next page buttons should be.

I have noticed that the battery life isn't super stellar. I'd easily sacrifice some thickness for an extra few weeks of battery. Right now I'm charging every 2-3 weeks while my Touch could go around 5.

What do you have the light set to?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Auto.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've got a Kindle keyboard and I'm really feeling that new Kindle itch.

I've looked at some vids of the Paperwhite 2 vs Voyage and the lighted display seems to have been improved quite a bit, the resolution and buttons are nice too, but not a deal breaker.

My options are wait a month or so and pay 200 + shipping overseas for a really nice, or 100 right now for something that may be 'good enough.'

Does anyone have experience of all 3 devices? Do you think the Paperwhite 2 would be good enough for someone looking to ditch the heavy lighted case and read in bed without waking up a baby.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Try keeping it down around bright enough for reading in a dark room at all times. Auto will often jack it up a lot in bright rooms to provide a little bit of extra contrast, which isn't really needed, and does drain battery much faster.

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001

smackfu posted:

My review of the Voyage: "Buttons" are a gimmick, flush screen is nice, but Kindle Paperwhite 2 is perfectly fine for most people.

Weird part is how hard it is to use at night. Have to guess where the buttons are.

Still don't understand why they have page forward/back on each side. Left should be back, right should be forward.

Sending it back and going to get a kobo h20 or paperwhite.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nilisco posted:

Still don't understand why they have page forward/back on each side. Left should be back, right should be forward.

Because that's standard design? Doing it the way you say could make it less comfortable to use for someone who holds the device with a different hand.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't really see why you need super accessible page back buttons. You probably use page forward 50x.

Another annoyance with the Voyage is that touching the screen still changes the page. So if you are trying to use the left side touch button and hit the screen instead, you go back instead of forward.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smackfu posted:

I don't really see why you need super accessible page back buttons. You probably use page forward 50x.

Right, which is why there should be a page forward button on both sides so you can account for people who hold it the opposite way. And if you're already putting a forward button on both sides why not a back button?

There's a good reason why the first Kindle was the only one to only have back on one side but forward on two sides.

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001
are you on the kindle dev team? i'm just posting impressions and you seem to be some sort of apologist for no good reason.

has issues for me. if it works for you congrats!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nilisco posted:

are you on the kindle dev team? i'm just posting impressions and you seem to be some sort of apologist for no good reason.

You asked why the buttons are on both sides, I told you. Simple isn't it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frozenpeas posted:

I've got a Kindle keyboard and I'm really feeling that new Kindle itch.

I've looked at some vids of the Paperwhite 2 vs Voyage and the lighted display seems to have been improved quite a bit, the resolution and buttons are nice too, but not a deal breaker.

My options are wait a month or so and pay 200 + shipping overseas for a really nice, or 100 right now for something that may be 'good enough.'

Does anyone have experience of all 3 devices? Do you think the Paperwhite 2 would be good enough for someone looking to ditch the heavy lighted case and read in bed without waking up a baby.

I went from a Kindle 2 to a Paperwhite 1 and have no desire to upgrade at all. If imagine a PW2 would be far beyond "good enough" for you, especially for less than half the cost with. I wait.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nilisco posted:

The buttons may not be great, but having forward/backward on both sides isn't the reason. Don't you see how that is way better for holding it one handed and reading? Is it that you accidentally hit backward when you mean to hit forward? I don't have a Voyage, but from using a Nook Simple Touch, having both buttons is just a lot handier.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Some of us are lefties and want to use it one handed. Why ya gotta be mean?

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

The buttons may not be great, but having forward/backward on both sides isn't the reason. Don't you see how that is way better for holding it one handed and reading? Is it that you accidentally hit backward when you mean to hit forward? I don't have a Voyage, but from using a Nook Simple Touch, having both buttons is just a lot handier.

I use it mostly at night. You can't see the buttons and I usually hit forward instead of back. Very confusing especially when using it with two hands, which gives you a grand total of six ways to turn the page. Mix that with how easy it is to accidentally touch the screen to turn the page and you can get some absolutely bizarre behavior. Thankfully you can disable touch screen page turns, but I find them much more intuitive to use than the weird stacked next page / tiny back button system they have going on.

I wish it had a texture or something. Or better yet I just wish they'd put real loving buttons on the device again god drat.

I'm also returning it due to the back light color issues. It isn't very uniform. This in itself isn't a deal breaker, but with the weird button behavior and the extremely premium price it isn't even remotely close to worth it for me. Voyage 2 might be pretty sweet though.

Nilisco fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 10, 2014

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Nilisco posted:

I'm also returning it due to the back light color issues. It isn't very uniform. This in itself isn't a deal breaker, but with the weird button behavior and the extremely premium price it isn't even remotely close to worth it for me. Voyage 2 might be pretty sweet though.

That's interesting. most of the reviews I've read have specifically commented on how the lighting is very uniform now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's funny how the old Kindle used to be $350 a few years ago, but now $200 is extremely premium. Progress!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just put a tiny piece of electrical tape on the back or forward button. Boom, tactile feel in the dark.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you disable Special Offers on a Kindle, do you need to swipe to unlock still?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hotsauce posted:

Just put a tiny piece of electrical tape on the back or forward button. Boom, tactile feel in the dark.

Duck brand even makes glow in the dark electrical tape!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

smackfu posted:

If you disable Special Offers on a Kindle, do you need to swipe to unlock still?

I don't need to swipe to unlock on my non special offers Kindle Voyage. I just have to find the power button in the back.

e: I spent the extra on a Kindle Voyage without special offers but I don't think that should matter.

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

chippy posted:

That's interesting. most of the reviews I've read have specifically commented on how the lighting is very uniform now.

They seem to have quality control issues. I wasn't too happy with my Voyage at first because the screen upgrade seemed marginal compared to my Paperwhite 1. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess) the Voyage also had a huge bright light pinhole in the middle of the screen, so Amazon sent a replacement and the difference in the screens is ridiculous. I've always thought people exaggerate tinting and screen hues, but my first Voyage is distinctly yellow vs my Paperwhite and the new Voyage, and the light distribution uniformity is very uneven.

(For what it's worth, the new one looks great and I'm quite happy with it, but it seems like you have to play Kindle roulette to get a good one.)

letthemreadprose fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 11, 2014

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

letthemreadprose posted:

They seem to have quality control issues. I wasn't too happy with my Voyage at first because the screen upgrade seemed marginal compared to my Paperwhite 1. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess) the Voyage also had a huge bright light pinhole in the middle of the screen, so Amazon sent a replacement and the difference in the screens is ridiculous. I've always thought people exaggerate tinting and screen hues, but my first Voyage is distinctly yellow vs my Paperwhite and the new Voyage, and light distribution uniformity is.

(For what it's worth, the new one looks great and I'm quite happy with it, but it seems like you have to play Kindle roulette to get a good one.)

You got a defective device and they replaced it as per advertised on their warranty, thus subsequent buyers must play kindle roulette. I ordered a coke at this restaurant once and my waiter brought me a Sprite on accident, apologized, and got me a new coke, so beware the soda roulette!!

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001

Guilty posted:

You got a defective device and they replaced it as per advertised on their warranty, thus subsequent buyers must play kindle roulette. I ordered a coke at this restaurant once and my waiter brought me a Sprite on accident, apologized, and got me a new coke, so beware the soda roulette!!

or you could, you know, read reviews on amazon.com or mobileread from people who actually use the ereaders as reading devices and don't just do a one day quicklook for engadget. here's a spoiler, there are indeed issues with some kindle screens. whoa!!

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

Guilty posted:

Roulette may be overstating it, but there are unboxing posts across various ereader/Amazon forums reporting similar experiences. Multiple people claim they went through 3-5 unit return cycles before a "good screen" unit and when I called, Amazon customer service also said they'd heard similar complaints about units from the first round of shipments, so it does seem like a general quality control issue rather than a once-off defect. Anyway, my point was that the Voyage screen can be really nice, but to look out for batch variability if you're not happy with yours.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On one hand, someone shouldn't be satisfied with something that's clearly defective.

On the other hand, it gets under my skin a bit to know people are exchanging upwards of 5 times when I have to wait until December to get one.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Holy crap! I just swapped my Keyboard for a Paperwhite and I'm in awe at this thing! I really regret waiting a year to see if anything better was coming out now.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like Family Sharing and other features are coming to 2nd gen paperwhite (but not 1st :( )

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/14/amazon-new-kindle-update/

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Real Goodreads support?

quote:

Goodreads on Kindle now allows you to easily share your reading progress updates, add books from your Kindle library to your Goodreads shelves, and see your friends’ updates, ratings and reviews when looking at a book on Goodreads.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Real Goodreads support?

Is that also only for 2nd gen Paperwhites and up?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like Family Sharing and other features are coming to 2nd gen paperwhite (but not 1st :( )

Clearly the new features require the small speed bump the 2nd generation of Paperwhite received.

This behavior is one reason I'd never ever buy an Amazon phone. It probably wouldn't even make it out of contract before Amazon stopped supporting it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mnemosyne posted:

Is that also only for 2nd gen Paperwhites and up?

Looks that way :(

fordan posted:

Clearly the new features require the small speed bump the 2nd generation of Paperwhite received.

This behavior is one reason I'd never ever buy an Amazon phone. It probably wouldn't even make it out of contract before Amazon stopped supporting it.

Ha, luckily it looks like they're on track to only make one phone. :)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Unless I'm missing something, Goodreads still sucks. No status updates and no recommendations. There's better integration with the Kindle store.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I don't even bother with any of Amazon's fancy-schmancy poo poo. I just wanna read books. If I wanna wank around on Goodreads, I'll go to Goodreads on my desktop PC.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to update the Kindle from the device?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to update the Kindle from the device?

Sure. Just leave it connected to wifi and eventually (like weeks or months) the OTA will be downloaded. Menu--Menu "update your Kindle."

Manually downloading using a computer is way faster though. I never have received a wifi delivered update...it takes forever to hit the Kindle. Just manually update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After three ordering attempts, I finally managed to snag one of the on again off again stock from Best Buy and my Voyage arrived today.

It's really nice. I finally feel as if this is an upgrade from my Simple touch. I still think the Simple Touch shape fits a bit better in the hand, but the Voyage exudes quality and is tiny as hell.

The virtual page turn buttons are perfect. The haptic feedback works perfectly to give the impression that you clicked a button.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Some of us are lefties and want to use it one handed. Why ya gotta be mean?

he's a rightist, ignore him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My Voyage came early!

I upgraded from a K4T that had started to have battery problems. The Voyage is worth it to me simply to not have to dig crumbs/cat hair off the sunken screen. The increased resolution is very nice, and I enjoy the page turn buttons. I didn't think I'd use the buttons, but laying on the couch reading proved their worth.

The origami case makes a good a stand and seems sturdy enough to keep my Kindle safe in my bag. I do miss the strap my old Marware case has, so I may pick up another case at some point.