Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

LMAO look at that thing. Like driving a barn door down the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It was definitely worth it if you bought them before they went up in price 100x.

Look at this quote. Just look at it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Weatherman posted:

It's not a terrible point. If you got a few when the price was like $1, it would probably be worth the pain to cash out your now thousands of dollars.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I priced out one of these F150s just for fun. A loving king cab costs about 40k. A loving pick up truck

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Weatherman posted:

omg roflmao buttcoins i know

congrats on having 20 pages of posts, 95% of which are spread against 2 bitcoin threads, you seem like a hoot

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cultural Imperial posted:

I priced out one of these F150s just for fun. A loving king cab costs about 40k. A loving pick up truck

yeah but think of how cool you'd look driving it by yourself carrying nothing 90% of the time

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sweet, now how much does it really cost for the 7 year finance deal with no deposit? How long until you have truck equity?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Devian666 posted:

Sweet, now how much does it really cost for the 7 year finance deal with no deposit? How long until you have truck equity?

Lol

building equity through car ownership

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
They don't call them investment vehicles for nothing!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The Nards Pan posted:

They don't call them investment vehicles for nothing!

That's the second or third time that joke has been made in this thread and it's been funny every time :laffo:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

While buying a top trim pickup truck basically defines bad with money and automatically makes you a mall crawler, the interiors and features on a top trim F150 are pretty comparable to entry level luxury vehicles.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

While buying a top trim pickup truck basically defines bad with money and automatically makes you a mall crawler, the interiors and features on a top trim F150 are pretty comparable to entry level luxury vehicles.

F150s were crazy popular in my city back in the early 2000s and no one ever used them for anything (but once or twice a year you might have to pack up stuff for a hurricane evac so a lot of people bought cars that could handle that). The worst drivers too, because you're in this monster tank and you feel invincible.

But we had to get a rental once and it was the only thing available and it's surprisingly nice inside - like a trucker cab, I guess? Just so much room. The quality was pleasant too, but just the sheer space in a pickup was surprising.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

MJBuddy posted:

But we had to get a rental once and it was the only thing available and it's surprisingly nice inside - like a trucker cab, I guess? Just so much room. The quality was pleasant too, but just the sheer space in a pickup was surprising.

For 40k I'd basically want it to have a sleeper compartment with a kitchenette. If I could have a top-end pickup for like 20k I'd do it without hesitation though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MJBuddy posted:

F150s were crazy popular in my city back in the early 2000s and no one ever used them for anything (but once or twice a year you might have to pack up stuff for a hurricane evac so a lot of people bought cars that could handle that). The worst drivers too, because you're in this monster tank and you feel invincible.

Which is ironic, because they were some of the most unsafe vehicles produced in that era:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wb66PzljP8

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

One of my buddies picked up a brand new F150 for 38k, it did have a really nice interior but for a truck it seemed excessive. I know another guy who drives a F450 around on base for no reason other than the fact that it's bigger than everything else on the road. It also breaks down all of the time and gets like 8 miles to the gallon so whatever.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Grumpo posted:

I know another guy who drives a F450 around on base for no reason other than the fact that it's bigger than everything else on the road. It also breaks down all of the time and gets like 8 miles to the gallon so whatever.

So, something like this? http://imgur.com/gallery/i9LHlDK

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011

Minus the sweet paint job, yep. The unofficial nickname for his truck as picked by his joes is "The Overcompensator".

Loving the comments on that page '0 to freedom in 6 seconds'. Lord.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

xie posted:

I told the story in this thread a while back. When Bitcoin first hit $200 and then crashed down to 120 the next day I mentioned it casually to a coworker and he almost passed out. He had mined 2,000 of them back when he was in college on residence hall electricity & forgot all about them. He figured they were 'worth' a few grand maybe.

He sold em at about 60-65$

I have a friend who mined them back in college as well but can't find his hard drives and thinks his mom might have thrown them out...he doesn't know how many he mined but GOD drat that must suck. It's like the modern version of my grandmother throwing out my dads comic books. It's always the poo poo you think is worthless!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

District Selectman posted:

It's always the poo poo you think is worthless!

To be fair, she wouldn't be wrong.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Grumpo posted:

One of my buddies picked up a brand new F150 for 38k, it did have a really nice interior but for a truck it seemed excessive. I know another guy who drives a F450 around on base for no reason other than the fact that it's bigger than everything else on the road. It also breaks down all of the time and gets like 8 miles to the gallon so whatever.

I see a lot of Ford Raptors driving around now on base. All of them look like they have never seen a day of offroading in their lives.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It came from reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2mlkgk/the_risks_of_buying_used_cars/ posted:

A little back story. My wife is a stay at home mom, so we are a one income family. About 2 1/2 years ago the engine on my 2002 Ford Escape threw a rod. It was a piece of crap car and did not warrant the repair cost. We couldn't afford a second car at the time and managed for a year with 1 car. Fast forward and my son was starting Preschool, I got a raise and new position at work, and my wife was pregnant. We needed another car now.

We ended up settling on a $10,000 2006 Chrysler Pacifica with 90,000 miles. I very foolishly borrowed against my 401K to pay 1/2 of the cost and financed the rest with an optional $2,500 extended warranty. My wife loved the car, I did not live a Chrysler product with that many miles.

In the year that we have owned this car, we have had to replace the engine, the air conditioning fan, camshaft, rocker arm, and gas cap. It needs a new an air compressor and catalytic convertor.
The $2,500 warranty covered $9,000 of the repair cost, but I had to pay nearly $4,000 towards the new engine. The remaining repairs will be around another $1,000.
I am so upside down in the car it makes me want to puke. I now owe a total of nearly $17,000 on a car that I could hope to get $7,500 for.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

It came from reddit:

:psyduck:

One of the OP's replies reads:

quote:

I did research on the vehicle. What I found was that the vehicle did not have the best track record in regards to transmissions, like any other Chrysler. That was why I got an extended warranty just in case.

So, he/she knowingly bought a car that was known for well-established reputation for serious mechanical issues (from a manufacturer whose known for their poor quality vehicles) and figured that the 3rd party warranty would somehow protect them from said mechanical issues.

Bad with money, indeed. And why is it that any time someone cashes out their 401K/RSP it's almost guaranteed to be spent on something completely foolish?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
This guy too. And he's in the military. This is his logic of tipping 1 dollar per person at his table when he goes out to eat.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/2mq6oh/it_wasnt_a_lot_but_i_still_got_dirty_looks/cm6ouc2

quote:

Typically a dollar or so. Say the bill is 31.23 for three people. I will probably do 35, just to round it off... but here is where the math is great again.

5 minutes TOPs to take the order of the entire table, few minutes of refilling drinks (maybe) and a couple minutes of grabbing plates. So we have 10-15 minutes again? So 3 bucks would be about 12-18 an hour plus their base pay of like 2 bucks an hour.

Same idea for a fancy dinner place with a bill of 95.50... I would tip 4.50 to round it off... still a buck a head. 300 bucks... still only get roughly 3 bucks. They didn't do anything different then the other place... so they deserve no more. Also, it works great for the small diners. 5 dollar lunch, 2 dollar drink and you get a buck.

In the perfect world, I wouldn't tip at all... but I have more money then I did 10 years ago, so why not. I think waitresses should make minimum wage or so and require no tips at all. Then they wouldn't be so uptight about it and the tip would be more of an insensitive rather than required/expected.

TL:DR Like many places throughout Europe w/ gratuity... I tip about a buck a head

TIL that stealing from waitresses is being good with money.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

melon cat posted:

:psyduck:

One of the OP's replies reads:

So, he/she knowingly bought a car that was known for well-established reputation for serious mechanical issues (from a manufacturer whose known for their poor quality vehicles) and figured that the 3rd party warranty would somehow protect them from said mechanical issues.

Well...

quote:

My wife loved the car, I did not live a Chrysler product with that many miles.

I think he means he doesn't love a Chrysler product with that many miles. In other words, he was trying to keep the wife happy. What unbelievable poo poo that the warranty didn't cover the cost of the new engine.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I own a Pacifica and I love it and it works great so :colbert:

That said, if/when it poops out on me I'm gonna get a Honda Fit.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

pig slut lisa posted:

I own a Pacifica and I love it and it works great so :colbert:

That said, if/when it poops out on me I'm gonna get a Honda Fit.

Honda Fit masterrace. I wish I would have waited one year to get the ones with backup cameras though.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what sort of lovely vehicle this is so I did a simple search. Apparently $10,900 will get you a 2010 model in some places so I'm not sure why he paid that much for a 2006 piece of junk. Why you anyone pay for an SUV that's obviously targeting grandmothers.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

TLG James posted:

Honda Fit masterrace. I wish I would have waited one year to get the ones with backup cameras though.

Why the hell would you need a backup camera in a car that small? That's like my coworker who wanted a backup camera for his mini.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

TLG James posted:

This guy too. And he's in the military. This is his logic of tipping 1 dollar per person at his table when he goes out to eat.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/2mq6oh/it_wasnt_a_lot_but_i_still_got_dirty_looks/cm6ouc2

How is not giving tips = stealing from waitress?

He's logic is retarded but he's not really stealing. Anyway don't want to start a loving tipping argument.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

melon cat posted:

It can be a pretty fun lifehack, if done correctly.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

TLG James posted:

If he really tipped like that he wouldn't get served. Unless he only does that at places he knows he's not going back to, In which case... wow.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Suspicious Lump posted:

He's logic is retarded but he's not really stealing. Anyway don't want to start a loving tipping argument.

How is it not stealing? If you're expected to give 15%, and you give them 1 dollar, I don't know what else that would be. Or you could argue that if the place was busy, they're literally wasting space of someone who would actually tip properly.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TLG James posted:

How is it not stealing? If you're expected to give 15%, and you give them 1 dollar, I don't know what else that would be. Or you could argue that if the place was busy, they're literally wasting space of someone who would actually tip properly.

While it's the height of being a dickhead, you're legally only obligated to pay the amount of the bill. It's not theft to only pay what was officially charged.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

TLG James posted:

How is it not stealing?
I don't know, why don't you call the cops and report people for stealing when they don't tip enough? See what they say.

Bad with money quote of the day:
"My cat needs her teeth cleaned so bad, but I can't afford it. Once I win the lottery, maybe." - After showing off her new boots that cost over $200. That poo poo drives me bananas.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Suspicious Lump posted:

You just did, you loving goober.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What's even more awkward than people in your party not tipping enough is people in your party insisting that everyone should leave a 35% tip because they used to wait tables and blah blah blah

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What? Only 35 percent? Dude, that waitress has a hard job. All you did today was carry packs of shingles up a ladder for 11 hours, and you made a whole 7 bucks an hour for it! Give her another 10 percent.

Sorry, flashbacks. I don't hang out with that guy anymore.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Lots of misinformation about the design fields ITT.

melon cat posted:

That's... lame. So they've got no problem racking up 6-digit debt, just so long as they're not viewed as one of those "groundfeeding community college people".

I can understand getting the whole "uni" experience (I've been down that road), but I wouldn't pay over $100K for it when there's a less expensive, perfectly-viable alternative for it. There's nothing prestigious about putting off your long-term savings/home-buying/car buying plans for several years because of some strange sense of pride.

A glance at that program she took boasts about the program being "CIDA accredited (Council for Interior Design Accreditation)". This is something else that I've been noticing a lot of, lately. Instead of getting actual work experience, people are paying for all of these trumped up, bizarre "accreditations" that obscure organizations are offering. Do they really think that your clients aren't going to let you feng shui up their shoebox condo simply because your program wasn't "CIDA accredited"? What a scam.

Anyone looking get a serious career in interior design will most likely not be able to achieve that with a degree from a community college. Interior design and interior architecture can be very lucrative fields with limited liability exposure and, as another poster noted, your alumni network can play a critical role in the employment opportunities that you will have.

Certification in the design fields is also certainly not a scam - the national boards administer professional licensure that require applicants to be from certified programs. Maintaining your certification is a very big deal for the university programs and getting a degree from an unaccredited program is definitely bad with money.

That couple still made a boatload of bad decisions, particularly if her portfolio or career aspirations weren't commensurate with her debt load.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think an interior designer would have any say in architecture though they might consult with one.

Depends on the scale of the projects and the firms involved but interiors definitely influence architecture.

melon cat posted:

That's what I had initially thought, too. But if you take a look at their program requirements it's filled with courses called 'Textiles for Interiors', 'History of Art', 'Painting', 'Sculpture', 'History of Modern Architecture', and 'Interior Lighting'. There's a few "Studio" courses, but who knows what goes on there.

In either case, similar programs are definitely offered at local community colleges at a much lower cost, and usually with co-op placements.

Education in the arts is a cornerstone of any creative profession and studio classes are a critical part of design education that allow students to develop the creative problem solving skills necessary to be successful design professionals. You typically get 1 hour of credit for every 3 or 4 hours in class, and that doesn't even address the significant time you will need to spend outside of class developing your projects.

Thinking on it a little further, i don't think junior colleges in California offer more than an associates degree that then feeds you to a "real" design school.

melon cat posted:

But I (partially) disagree. Sure, there are some fields where a 4-year undergraduate college program is necessary to gain entry into the industry. Engineering, medicine, pharmaceuticals, investment banking, to name a few. But Interior Design isn't one of those fields. If you want to become a drafter or work with CAD, a few years at a half-decent community college will do just fine. You'll need even less if you want to become an Interior Decorator.

That "Interior Design" program offered by Drexel, which that person is currently paying >$100K for, is just one of the many bullshit, overpriced programs that universities are conjuring up to win business from the community colleges. Heck, a lot of Universities are offering programs for Photography majors. And I work with a guy who foolishly spent money on a Masters Degree in Graphic Design. It's ridiculous.

Yes, that couple and your coworker made bad decisions but you don't really seem to actually know anything about design education or the industries and your assertions aren't accurate at all.

Anne Whateley posted:

Interior design is a) for rich people and b) all about image. "Took a few classes at Podunk Community College two towns over" really doesn't seem like it's going to get clients, even if you end up with comparable knowledge.

Nope, corporations definitely don't care about interior design and it's certainly not important to retailers either.

melon cat posted:

And that's exactly it- interior design is for rich people. So if they're going to hire an Interior Designer, they're going to find this person through their own small network of personal contacts. They're not going to send out a wanted ad and grill potential interior designer about their educational background. So if someone does insist on studying interior design, they might as well spend as little $$ as possible on course fees. I know that this is a tired, repetitive thing to say (because we've all heard it before), but your success in this type of industry is all about networking, not over-leveraging yourself in a overpriced college program that has questionable value.

Creative work is a lot more complicated and diverse than you seem to think that it is. Interviewing for projects is most certainly a thing; your ability with people and creative output are more important than your pedigree, but the quality of your education feeds into both of those things.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Noggin Monkey posted:

Creative work is a lot more complicated and diverse than you seem to think that it is. Interviewing for projects is most certainly a thing; your ability with people and creative output are more important than your pedigree, but the quality of your education feeds into both of those things.

It's not worth the energy responding to people's comments when they don't understand professional degrees and they have no involvement in the construction industry. There are other crappy degrees worth picking on. Most people don't realise the actual links between building science, interior design and architecture. All useful degrees and employable graduates which leads to the ability to pay off a student loan. Versus a film and drama degree with no practical component.

It is strange to work with people who have done film and drama as their degree yet they can't even frame up a shot. Especially given that I'm an engineer and I've ended up changing the shots so they don't look like poo poo. I don't understand why a functionally useless degree like that even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Noggin Monkey posted:

Lots of misinformation about the design fields ITT.

Actually, I am employed in creative work (Graphic and UI designer at a major company) so I'm pretty certain that I know how complicated and diverse creative work is. :)

I can tell you with 100% certainty that you don't need a fancy, overpriced 4-year university degree for many parts of the creative services industry. My formal education is absolutely not related to the "creative" industry, but I've been successful in getting into the industry. I simply did a lot of side projects so I could assemble a large portfolio, and learned all of the relevant software on my own.

That whole belief of "quality of your education feeds into both of those things" is just flat-out wrong. We just hired a few more graphic designers in our office, and a lot of the applicants who had these fancy, obscure-sounding degrees failed the practical tests that were part of the interview process. A lot of them couldn't locate basic tools in Adobe Creative Suite, and when asked how to do perform certain web development functions they had no idea how, and tried to bullshit their way through. Because in the end, bullshitting is all their degree taught them. In our particular segment of the industry, having a great portfolio and thorough knowledge of the relevant PC applications absolutely trumps a stand-alone "creative" college degree held by someone with zero practical knowledge.

In either case, your post just reads like something straight out of a college brochure, and I really do question how much you really know about working in the creative industry. I'd caution anyone from taking career advice from you.

quote:

Certification in the design fields is also certainly not a scam - the national boards administer professional licensure that require applicants to be from certified programs. Maintaining your certification is a very big deal for the university programs and getting a degree from an unaccredited program is definitely bad with money.
Just because a "certification" exists doesn't mean that you need it. Some are necessary, while some aren't. For example, I recently learned that there's a "Certified Graphic Designer" designation here in Canada. And I can tell you that this designation is absolutely not necessary to work in graphic design. There's a wealth of dubious certifications that have come out of the woodwork over the past few years that definitely should be questioned before you dump your hard-earned money on them. Adding a bunch of abstract letters at the end of your name doesn't make you look more "qualified" to people who are currently employed in your industry of interest.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 20, 2014

• Locked thread