Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I demand that I be able to text :dong: to everyone I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

withak posted:

I demand that I be able to text :dong: to everyone I know.

App Review says "gently caress you", sorry.

I may have paraphrased that quote.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've never messed with any of the GIF keyboards so I'm not familiar with how they work. Inside of Awful it just needs to put in the code, but what does it do outside? Insert a URL or a full copy of the gif?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

david_a posted:

I've never messed with any of the GIF keyboards so I'm not familiar with how they work. Inside of Awful it just needs to put in the code, but what does it do outside? Insert a URL or a full copy of the gif?

It inserts a full copy of the GIF, in a very roundabout fashion: you tap a key to copy the GIF data, then you tap the text field and paste it in. That's as close as a keyboard can get to inserting an image.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

pokeyman posted:

It inserts a full copy of the GIF, in a very roundabout fashion: you tap a key to copy the GIF data, then you tap the text field and paste it in. That's as close as a keyboard can get to inserting an image.

I'm not really familiar with alternate keyboards under iOS8, would this be under the emojii button once enabled?

Sounds pretty cool and I look forward to annoying my non-goon friends with :v: again.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I'm not really familiar with alternate keyboards under iOS8, would this be under the emojii button once enabled?

Yep. Though it turns into a globe icon once you add any non-default keyboards.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, what's the strategy? Just make little tweaks and submit again till you get a reviewer who's cool with the swinging dick gif?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've been removing the "objectionable" smilies from the keyboard. There's been some back and forth which is what's taking so long. The list of "objectionable" smilies has grown a couple times, and I misread what exactly they wanted me to do to fix it.

Most recently they've been nice enough to list the problematic smilies in a screenshot, so it's easy to just add them to a list and package it back up.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Post that screenshot

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Post that screenshot

I will instead perform a reenactment.

:sonia:
:gooncamp:
:goatsecx:
:flaccid:
:dong:
:ccb:
:flashfap:
:jackbud:
:regd05:
:shlick:
:newfap:
:huh:
:hawaaaafap:
:gizz:
:fh:
:fap:
:circlefap:
:bahgawd:
:a2m:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Isn't Jim Ross just shaking his fist? APPLE IS loving US AGAIN!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That's Jim Ross?! I thought it was a pilgrim

Edit: now the shortcut makes sense

david_a fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 20, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

It's possible I'm getting that one wrong, the screenshot isn't animated. But I couldn't find anything else that looked similar.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

It kind of, sort of looks like someone imitating a blowjob, but yeah Good Ol' JR is just shaking his fist. I can't help but picture this gif, but with JR instead of Shawn Michaels now:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So good, god bless 90s wrestling.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

pokeyman posted:

I will instead perform a reenactment.

:sonia:
:gooncamp:
:goatsecx:
:flaccid:
:dong:
:ccb:
:flashfap:
:jackbud:
:regd05:
:shlick:
:newfap:
:huh:
:hawaaaafap:
:gizz:
:fh:
:fap:
:circlefap:
:bahgawd:
:a2m:

That's a top collection of smilies for sure

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Tapping the page selector at the bottom automatically starts with page 1, not the current page like it did before. I think?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You think correct! It is fixed in some future version.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Sometimes (like right now) Awful gets into a state on my iPad where it doesn't respond to swiping left to close the sidebar (it looks like the thread scroll view uses the drag event and tries to scroll left) and the thread view shrinks to fit in the remaining space:

When this happens, I try restarting the app and changing the "hide sidebar in landscape mode" option, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Then, in a few days, it mysteriously fixes itself, and will stay fixed for a month or so.

Any ideas?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I think that's a combination of two problems. One is a bug that enables horizontal scrolling when in landscape, and the other is some fuckery with the "hide sidebar in landscape" setting. The first one is fixed in the next version, while the second one I still need to sort out.

I've found that it'll reset itself if you toggle the "hide sidebar in landscape" setting on and off, and/or rotate the device to portrait and back a few times. Though maybe that's only on the current beta version, it's hard to remember now.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Yes, this problem can be resolved with some fuckery of rotating the screen a few times and futzing with show/reveal. Maybe restart the program too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I reset my iPhone 6 and forgot how to get text to not be huge. While I'm able to get properly sized text while reading threads by setting text size to 80%, everything is still big when viewing the list of forums, bookmarks, or composing a post like this one. What am I missing?

Edit: got it. it was text size in the display settings

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 22, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

When my phone is on wifi, about 1 out of 4 or 5 times I load a page it just hangs. This can happen in bookmarks or regular thread view and I have to back out of the thread, rendering all the posts on that page marked as read. Not the end of the world, but definitely annoying. It never happens when I'm on 4G so when it starts chronically hanging repeatedly then I just switch off wifi.

By "hanging" I mean the blank page with the "loading" icon, the UI still works well

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

dusty posted:

Yes, this problem can be resolved with some fuckery of rotating the screen a few times and futzing with show/reveal. Maybe restart the program too.

Haha, so that really did fix it the previous times. Okay, thanks :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

When my phone is on wifi, about 1 out of 4 or 5 times I load a page it just hangs. This can happen in bookmarks or regular thread view and I have to back out of the thread, rendering all the posts on that page marked as read. Not the end of the world, but definitely annoying. It never happens when I'm on 4G so when it starts chronically hanging repeatedly then I just switch off wifi.

By "hanging" I mean the blank page with the "loading" icon, the UI still works well

That's kinda weird. I'll make a note and keep an eye out!

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BobbyDrake posted:

First, let me say thanks for the app, it's pretty awesome. That being said, ever since upgrading to iOS 8.1, the app has been very stuttery on both my iPad Air and iPhone 6. I'll be reading a thread and try to scroll, and it will lag something fierce. Not a major issue, it's just the only app it happens on and it's on both iOS devices I have.

This. I came to this thread for this. It is pretty bad on my 5S. Every time a page is loading scrolling leads to stutters. If I wait about 10 seconds when loading a page it clears up. Definitely has something to do with loading a new page.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Two updates in one day. Christmas came early for goons this year. :neckbeard: smilie keyboard as well.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Update's lookin nice.
:dance::fedora::fedora::fedora:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
:vince::vince::vince::vince:

Oh yeah this is sweet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Currently texting :anttony: to everyone I know.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This update ooooooooooooowns :frogc00l::razz::iamafag::feelsgood:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
:vince:Smilie keyboard!

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
:captainpop::captainpop::captainpop:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Yayyy new version fixed sidebar in landscape for me! :coolfish:

And smilie keyboard is :krad:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Yayyy new version fixed sidebar in landscape for me! :coolfish:

I can't wait for you to discover the new ways it's broken!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I can't wait for you to discover the new ways it's broken!

I don't seem to run into other problems people run into so maybe I'll be lucky? Regardless Awful App is amazing.

Related, is there any reason why I would not want to enable the awful emoticons across my whole OS? Besides awesome overload and annoying my friends? Like performance or glitches?

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

Comatoast posted:

This. I came to this thread for this. It is pretty bad on my 5S. Every time a page is loading scrolling leads to stutters. If I wait about 10 seconds when loading a page it clears up. Definitely has something to do with loading a new page.

I used to have this problem on my 5S but I think it has more to do with Wifi than the Awful app.

I first experienced this problem when I upgraded to iOS 8. It was quite frustrating as all my apps worked fine except for Awful app(it's easily my top 3 apps in terms of usage).

But after reading the apple support forums and reading about people's experience, I tried a few workarounds and the only one which worked was going to my router to set the current interface to b/g(legacy)-only mode.

It was an acceptable fix to me at that time only because that setting was used for the 2.4ghz frequency while I have N-mode going for the 5ghz so all my other devices were unaffected. All this however, was fixed for me in 8.1.1. So YMMV.

This guy has investigated the source of iOS 8's wifi issue and I think its a worth a read:
https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Related, is there any reason why I would not want to enable the awful emoticons across my whole OS? Besides awesome overload and annoying my friends? Like performance or glitches?

The only thing I can think of is that the startup time can be significant on certain devices, and that may be annoying when trying to cycle quickly through keyboards.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

So what did you have to cull from the smiley keyboard this time to make the cut? Or did you just luck out and get a reviewer who didn't give a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
:f5h::f5:

Smilies!

:allears:

• Locked thread