Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Quick update on the GV-N970WF3OC-4GD (Gigabyte 970 windforce NOT the "gaming" version).

It's still nice and quiet, I can overclock it to 1281/1420 without touching the voltage. I got a crash at 1450. I can't get too much from memory, right now I have a 40 mhz overclock on memory just as a placeholder.

For other's reference:

970 Reference = 1050base/1158boost
GV-N970WF3OC-4GD = 1114base/1253boost (+64/+95)
My current OC at stock voltage = 1281/1420 (+231/262)

I don't have much reason to go higher at the moment, but I'm sure I'll start playing with it not too far away. My power and temp are not near to peaked out when running with this OC configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I have mine stable at +150 core +500 mem.

I can't get furmark stable on those numbers; I haven't touched voltage though - are these numbers at stock voltage?

I think the limit before I see any flickering triangles is about +130/+400.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

dorkanoid posted:

I can't get furmark stable on those numbers; I haven't touched voltage though - are these numbers at stock voltage?

I think the limit before I see any flickering triangles is about +130/+400.
Yeah that's at stock voltage, tried pushing it further but driver crashed at beyond +175 core. Could probably make it there with voltage upped but +150 is good enough

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
:) all it took was a GPU release that was exactly as advertised, with somewhat unexpected OC headroom, and now look. It's beautiful.

Ironically for me this is the first card I haven't pushed to the absolute limit from the first 3 hours of owning it. I'm so used to typical nvidia OC that the numbers almost make me a little uncomfortable - and I know that's illogical as hell.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Quick question:

Can I run a GTX 980 (Gigabyte reference) and a GTX 970 (ASUS Strix) in SLI?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No, only the same chips can be used in SLI. 980 with 980, 970/970, etc.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: New Nvidia drivers released not just for supporting Far Cry 4, but it also includes MFAA (finally)! :siren:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Welmu posted:

Quick question:

Can I run a GTX 980 (Gigabyte reference) and a GTX 970 (ASUS Strix) in SLI?

Only if you put a 970 bios on the 980 :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, Zotac talked to their engineers and they told me that the Zotac 970 can SLI with other 970's only if those are using the reference board design (I think the only other one that does this is the PNY) so even though the NVidia official FAQ says that shouldn't be an issue, I'm poo poo outta luck.

Anyone wanna buy one or both of my Zotac 970's? If you have a slot of space the SLI would work fine or you can buy a single card.

$300 shipped each with the digital receipt if you ever need to warranty.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Zero VGS posted:

Welp, Zotac talked to their engineers and they told me that the Zotac 970 can SLI with other 970's only if those are using the reference board design (I think the only other one that does this is the PNY) so even though the NVidia official FAQ says that shouldn't be an issue, I'm poo poo outta luck.

Anyone wanna buy one or both of my Zotac 970's? If you have a slot of space the SLI would work fine or you can buy a single card.

$300 shipped each with the digital receipt if you ever need to warranty.

Wait, were you doing 3 way SLI or something?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So do GPUs go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I've been eyeing a this card, a Gigabyte GTX 970, and I just noticed the price jumped up on Amazon.

Now, strictly speaking, getting it by Christmas, while nice, isn't critical, I'm just trying to figure out if it's even worth rolling the dice over. Last time I was shopping for a new GPU was nowhere near Christmas.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

Wait, were you doing 3 way SLI or something?

No, I had two Zotacs in SLI together, but because they were in a Micro ATX case there was no space for the top cooler to breathe. So I tried a Gigabyte 3-fan cooler on top so two and a half fans would stretch past the bottom Zotac, but alas they don't work in SLI.

So now I ordered that mini-ITX Gigabyte model from Newegg and I'm gonna try that in the bottom with the other Gigabyte in the top, gently caress my life.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

So do GPUs go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I've been eyeing a this card, a Gigabyte GTX 970, and I just noticed the price jumped up on Amazon.

Now, strictly speaking, getting it by Christmas, while nice, isn't critical, I'm just trying to figure out if it's even worth rolling the dice over. Last time I was shopping for a new GPU was nowhere near Christmas.

970's are too new to go on sale. Your best bet is to find a bundle and sell the free game to save some cash.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ahh they have released a new tech demo for the Maxwell series:

http://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/apollo-11

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So can someone explain this MFAA that was added in today's Nvidia drivers?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

So can someone explain this MFAA that was added in today's Nvidia drivers?

I dunno I'm reading this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8734/nvidia-34475-drivers-mfaa-arrives-for-maxwell

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I hadn't realised it was maxwell only, guess I don't need to worry about it then. My 780ti isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got a MSI 970 and I think I may have "the fan issue".

Came back to the computer after an hour of not using it and I heard the fan spinning wildly.

1) what's the fan issue exactly?
2) is there a fix?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I hadn't realised it was maxwell only, guess I don't need to worry about it then. My 780ti isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It launched with Maxwell, but as with DSR it has been backdated to Kepler as well. No Fermi though it seems.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

It launched with Maxwell, but as with DSR it has been backdated to Kepler as well. No Fermi though it seems.

Ah ok.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BurritoJustice posted:

Nope, not even just Maxwell but just GM2xx Maxwell.

The Anandtech article posted:

Like VXGI, MFAA apparently requires new hardware to function, which means MFAA will only be enabled on GM204 GPUs – specifically, you need a GTX 980, GTX 970, GTX 980M, or GTX 970M GPU.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Just got a new R9 290 Sapphire Tri-X OC card. Beastly. But the fans sound crazy loud when under high load. I played BF4 yesterday on Ultra and it sounded like a jet engine. Is this typical, or are maybe my fans in need of re-configuring? How should I go about doing that?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
MSI Afterburner or (more-appropriately) Sapphire Trixx. Set up a custom fan profile and you should be able to set the upper limit to something manageable. You'll probably still want to set the fan speed higher at the upper end (>85C) of sane temperatures as a failsafe.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

wolrah posted:

Nope, not even just Maxwell but just GM2xx Maxwell.

this driver introduces multi-frame sampled anti-aliasing (MFAA), which can be enabled across GeForce GTX 600, GTX 700, and GTX 900 series graphics cards

:shrug:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
That's wrong.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hace posted:

That's wrong.

Serves me right for trusting TPU then.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hace posted:

That's wrong.

Yeah I don't have an option for it anywhere.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm trying to regulate my R9 290 (Sapphire Tri-X OC) crazy fans. This is the custom profile I came up with:

...Is this a good configuration? I don't want my card to roast but I also don't want a friggen jet engine to launch every time my machine takes on a high load.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Is it odd to use 99% of a GPU's capability? Playing FarCry 4 my MSI 970 Gaming was maxing out at 65 degrees, but 99% usage.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Schiavona posted:

Is it odd to use 99% of a GPU's capability? Playing FarCry 4 my MSI 970 Gaming was maxing out at 65 degrees, but 99% usage.

Sounds about right.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Schiavona posted:

GPUs are like CPUs, in that you can be using every cycle on every core for useful work but not use the most energy-intensive (and thus most heat-generating) parts of the chip because of the work you're doing.

Also GM200 is probably the most efficient usefully-powerful GPU series to date. Skylake might change this if Intel's GPU division knocks it out of the park, but it's still not even going to compete for what the 970 owns right now (1440p, or probably even 1080p).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 20, 2014

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I just realized why my R9 290's fans were going crazy. It's my case. I removed the side panel and now they're barely ramping up at all even under heavy load.

I know nothing about airflow and how to remedy this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just realized why my R9 290's fans were going crazy. It's my case. I removed the side panel and now they're barely ramping up at all even under heavy load.

What case do you have?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Radio Talmudist posted:

Front fans set as intake. Rear fan set as output. Top fans as out. Side fans set as input.

Edit: How long ago did the MSI 970 Gold come out? I can't find any info on the card except for press releases.

I am wondering if the full copper heat sink is worth it over the regular MSI aluminum heat sink.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

SlayVus posted:

I am wondering if the full copper heat sink is worth it over the regular MSI aluminum heat sink.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is:
Copper conducts heat well from stuff it's in direct contact with (GPUs, CPUs, TIM, etc.)
Aluminum transfers heat to passing air better than copper does.
So the best coolers are copper on the bottom, with aluminum fins.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Radio Talmudist posted:

What kind of case and fans? You'll need to balance out airflow, sounds like you may have too much exhaust and not enough intake and it's making your card (and other hardware) overheat. Look up the specs on your fans and rearrange as needed to even out the flow of air in your case.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

td4guy posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is:
Copper conducts heat well from stuff it's in direct contact with (GPUs, CPUs, TIM, etc.)
Aluminum transfers heat to passing air better than copper does.
So the best coolers are copper on the bottom, with aluminum fins.

The best coolers are gold... or solid silver.. but yea, if you gotta be poor, then copper /w aluminum fins wins out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

The best coolers are gold... or solid silver.. but yea, if you gotta be poor, then copper /w aluminum fins wins out.

Silver is ever so marginally more conductive than copper. I doubt that thing about aluminum conducting to air better, that doesn't make sense.

Can't wait to see graphene heatsinks, that'll be something.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that air transfer abilty sounds odd. Do you have a link for that? Is it a density/surface area ratio thing? My understanding of the switch to aluminum is that with heat pipes in the mix it is good enough and cheaper.

Regarding case fans, basically, go front to back with your flow. Does your power supply have a fan that is pulling air out of the case out the back of the power supply unimpeded? Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks on a high rated quiet pair for your machine, you don't want to get loud case fans to get rid of loud gpu fans. Also, find out how many fan headers your motherboard has and where they are.

Anyway, the reason I'm here is I'm wondering if anyone has benchmarked or knows of a performance matrix with Shadowplay that shows different quality/resolution combinations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Zero VGS posted:

Silver is ever so marginally more conductive than copper. I doubt that thing about aluminum conducting to air better, that doesn't make sense.

Can't wait to see graphene heatsinks, that'll be something.

Never thought you could use graphene in heatsinks. All this time I was preoccupied with using it in TIM.

I'm guessing it will be used in all electronics then?