Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hixalot posted:

Thank you.

I prefer the Large Fowl as a rule. The bantams are fun though and I donate a lot of birds to youth who often can't physically handle the big ones, it's a gateway drug, get them hooked on the bantam version then when they grow up they'll hopefully get into the large fowl as well!

THIS WORKS.

Not that I'm living proof or nuthin'...just sayin'...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I do not see any pictures of said bantam cochins, VS, so I don't know if I can believe you. :colbert: Does this mean that there should hopefully be bantam cochins in next year's chickam?

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Hixalot, that banty blue hen is freakin' gorgeous. :allears:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

There's been a huge red tail hawk lurking around lately. No wonder my chickens are acting weird, I was wondering why they've been acting depressed and hiding constantly :(

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Chido posted:

There's been a huge red tail hawk lurking around lately. No wonder my chickens are acting weird, I was wondering why they've been acting depressed and hiding constantly :(

Red tails are always bad at this time of year it seems. I've had some friends report some success with hanging shiny reflective strips around their coops, or CD's (reflective side up) on strings etc to help repel Hawks. They don't like the erratic movement and odd reflections is the logic. Hopefully the birds are in a covered run though, much safer.

Apathygirl, thank you very much. She is one of my favorites I've raised this year. Not sure what judge saw in the black that beat her but she's my pick.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Hixalot posted:

Just got back from Washington Feather Fanciers show in Chehalis, WA.

Best of Breed Bantam Langshan on a Black Pullet

Reserve of Breed Bantam Langshan on a Blue Pullet

Best of Breed Langshan Large Fowl on a Black Pullet

No pics yet but also had Best and Reserve of Variety on Single Comb Buff Leghorn, both on cockerels.

Wow, good work! I love the bantams - they're so dainty and their big black eyes are adorable :kimchi: And the large fowl pullet looks so regal! These are some good chickens.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Hix, those are some fine chickens! Great work.

Spooky, I love your success stories with the battery hens! :kimchi: They are so happy-looking now! You are a saint.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting chickens from PYF:

Fuzz1138 posted:

Here are some little baby chicks my mom recently incubated.

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Alright, so my husband decided to let the chickens out in the pouring rain today and it took me hours to actually get them all back in the run. They're soaked to the skin. It's 40 degrees now, but the low tonight is going to be 25 and it's not going to get above freezing for the next two days (wind chill in the teens tomorrow). So how the hell am I going to get them dry enough that they won't freeze/get sick tonight in an unheated coop? Will they dry off enough on their own or so I have to go out there with a hair dryer?

I know the standard answer is "they should be fine, just watch them for the next couple days" but this is complicated by the fact I'm having my first baby tonight. I'm a week overdue and scheduled to be induced tonight, so I won't be home for a minimum 2 days and my chicken sitter knows enough to feed them and pull eggs and that's it. To say I'm pissed/stressed out/freaking out is an understatement. Advice, please?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Get your hubby to take a couple of chickens into the house at a time and blow dry them with the hair dryer. How many chooks do you own?

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Yeah, that's what we ended up doing. Thankfully only 8, and thankfully they were too confused to really put up a fight.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Glad to see that all got sorted out with the chooks! Good luck with the new baby! :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

Glad to see that all got sorted out with the chooks! Good luck with the new baby! :)
Yeah, absolutely. Are you going to take requests for naming the baby, like VS does with the yearly Chickam hatching?

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Sorry guys, she's already named. :) Vivienne Amelia.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Congrats on your new baby, put your husband out in the rain/snow tonight as penance for the mortal sin of stressing out a very pregnant woman. :P

Or, you know, make him get up when she cries.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Posted on imgur.com: chickens getting a breakfast of warm oatmeal with added mealworms. YUM! :D

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 18, 2014

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Wow, it is cold. The lock on the feed door of the coop was frozen shut. I had to get a hammer to tap it open. Guess I'll be adding a hammer to my wintertime list of things to take down daily. Also bought a heated watering troth for them Saturday. 3 times in a row it has slowly leaked out overnight, going to take it back I guess.

Lastly, when I was doing the chicken chores I spotted something odd on top of the fenced in run. What is it, a fuzz ball, a big poop? Nope, it was an owl pellet :stare: Some owl decided to sit on one of the posts of the run and puke up it's last meal. Looked like a mouse, but I can't tell, frozen solid. Glad we put a top on the run in October.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

Posted on imgur.com: chickens getting a breakfast of warm oatmeal with added mealworms. YUM! :D

Our first three hens adored a bowl of warm poridge. In fact when they would camp out on the back door mat and start howling for treats &/or attention, porridge was the best thing to shut them up. They'd stuff their beaks, settle down for some serious preening and then fall asleep in a carb coma. Silly hens.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Any recommendations for cold-weather hardiness? I've got two golden comets and it's supposed to be a rougher winter (18-25F, it's GA). They're in a wooden coop but it's not too insulated. Was thinking about moving the coop closer to the house and throwing a heat lamp in there to turn on. Is there anything else I can do to help keep heat in the coop? Maybe more straw and pad the crevices in the walls. Haven't had them through a winter before

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Analogical posted:

Any recommendations for cold-weather hardiness? I've got two golden comets and it's supposed to be a rougher winter (18-25F, it's GA). They're in a wooden coop but it's not too insulated. Was thinking about moving the coop closer to the house and throwing a heat lamp in there to turn on. Is there anything else I can do to help keep heat in the coop? Maybe more straw and pad the crevices in the walls. Haven't had them through a winter before

Honestly cold isn't the enemy. Moisture is. Make sure the coop is well ventilated. If you go out in early morning and there is condensation on roof of coop, you need more ventilation, not having this will cause frost bite.

My birds coops are completely open air on one side with three sides to shield wind and even last winter with multiple weeks of single digit temps they thrived, including the large comb leghorns.

Edit: you can include some supplemental feeding of whole grains, maybe wild bird seed, especially before nightfall as it takes longer to digest and helps keep body temp up.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I've heard and read awful stories about heat lamps YIKES! They can be so very dangerous.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

piscesbobbie posted:

I've heard and read awful stories about heat lamps YIKES! They can be so very dangerous.

Bingo. I shake my head every time I see someone using a heat lamp. Risk is too high and benefit is almost nonexistent.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I've always wondered if those passive ceramic heaters weren't the better choice for animal enclosures since they never get really hot. But on the other hand I don't own or know chickens so what the hell am I doing wondering about it?

I mean, seriously.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tricky Ed posted:

I've always wondered if those passive ceramic heaters weren't the better choice for animal enclosures since they never get really hot. But on the other hand I don't own or know chickens so what the hell am I doing wondering about it?

I mean, seriously.

I use a 150 watt version of that in my coop. The coop top is open welded wire with a 5 inch gap and a tin roof above that. We set it over the roost so that they can huddle underneath it, mine is about 2 feet wide so they can all get under it of they need to.

They seem to love it and it keeps their combs from getting frostbite at night. Sine it doesn't touch wood or shavings so there is no fire risk and since there isn't any light they don't stay active.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Grape Soda posted:

I do not see any pictures of said bantam cochins, VS, so I don't know if I can believe you. :colbert: Does this mean that there should hopefully be bantam cochins in next year's chickam?

OK, ok, here!

The little black one is a full bantam Cochin, the other is half Sicillian Buttercup. No names yet for either, although we're thinking of Sophie for the Buttercup/Cochin cross and Molly for the black hen.

They are still shy of all of the other chickens, so we're thinking of cooping them during the day together with Mushroom (bantam Cochin roo) and Olive for a few days to see if a little bantam Cochin gang forms. Maybe with three hens and a roo we'll get bantam Cochins next Spring!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

OK, ok, here!

The little black one is a full bantam Cochin, the other is half Sicillian Buttercup. No names yet for either, although we're thinking of Sophie for the Buttercup/Cochin cross and Molly for the black hen.
Well ain't they a cute twosome.

Molly is a perfect name for the black bantam.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

OK, ok, here!

The black cochin is so pretty! The gold one is very cute and has obviously settled in already. Since those tiny cochins don't take up much room, you can easily keep all four in the kitchen this winter! :D

Where did Olive and Mushroom come from again? Let's see a picture of all four of them together! :henget:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 19, 2014

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
awwww VS, they are so ADORABLE! Now, how are you going to set up the housekeeping for the shorties? Bloop and Mushroom both small guys.... who will get bragging rights to the new gals!?! Will you set up a separate area for the 4 new kids or put them in with Bloop and his gals?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Right now the entire flock is together. The new girls are still shy and Cowbell and Buzzard won't leave them alone. :rolleyes:

Once everyone settles down I'm sure the new girls will learn the 'run to Weedcat' trick like the other hens do when being bothered by young rooboys.

Come Spring, when things warm up and we are wanting pure bantam Cochin eggs, we'll separate the cochins for a few weeks.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
d'awwwwww. :3

I can't wait for Chickam in the spring!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Due to the hooting that is going on outside my bedroom window every night, I've found that we have a Great Horned owl out there who is serenading us. :keke:

And on that subject...here, have an adorable Saw-Whet owl vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRnk3vEEMqs
I freakin' guarantee you'll be melting in the first 5 seconds of watching.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Anyone know any tricks for getting chooks to change where they roost? My hutch at the moment has only one upper level to stand on, and the new girls wont let them anywhere near it, so they've taken to camping out on my windowsill, which means every night I have to pluck them off and drop them onto the ground of the nice safe hutch.

Also I'm peeved that the older girls are still henpecking, you think they would be used to them.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Due to the hooting that is going on outside my bedroom window every night, I've found that we have a Great Horned owl out there who is serenading us. :keke:

I bet that Great Horned owl knows that there are tasty chickens around. I love Great Horned owls though, as well as their distinctive hoot. :)

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

And on that subject...here, have an adorable Saw-Whet owl vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRnk3vEEMqs
I freakin' guarantee you'll be melting in the first 5 seconds of watching.

Hah, can I borrow him for a couple of weeks? We're having big time rat trouble now that the weather's gotten cold... Does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with small, unwelcome visitors to the coop?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'd loan you Haterade but her rat murdering beady eyed face is necessary here. She and my barred rock destroyed a rat that dared put it's paw in the coop. I've never seen chickens play tug of war.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Griffball posted:

Anyone know any tricks for getting chooks to change where they roost? My hutch at the moment has only one upper level to stand on, and the new girls wont let them anywhere near it, so they've taken to camping out on my windowsill, which means every night I have to pluck them off and drop them onto the ground of the nice safe hutch.

Also I'm peeved that the older girls are still henpecking, you think they would be used to them.

Out another roost slightly, ower the pan the first one. Begin placing them on that at night,mas long as the older girls have their higher spot they won't care if the new girls have a roost slightly lower.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Out another roost slightly, ower the pan the first one. Begin placing them on that at night,mas long as the older girls have their higher spot they won't care if the new girls have a roost slightly lower.
Either you're typing with your other hand or you've been on the sauce.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

spookygonk posted:

Either you're typing with your other hand or you've been on the sauce.

I pictured Errant Gin Monks trying to type while holding a flapping chicken. :D

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Inveigle posted:

I pictured Errant Gin Monks trying to type while holding a flapping chicken. :D

In HIS food truck, handling the lunch rush.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Micomicona posted:

Hah, can I borrow him for a couple of weeks? We're having big time rat trouble now that the weather's gotten cold... Does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with small, unwelcome visitors to the coop?

Our owl comes around late at night and is clearly after mice, although come to think of it I haven't seen our squirrel around lately...

For rats/mice, make a bucket trap. You can fill the bottom of the bucket with water to drown them, or don't and instead do catch and release the mousies somewhere out in a field. The nice part about bucket traps is that you can catch multiple mice every night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSk79YcuIRQ

Griffball, I make my roosts all at one level, like a bench. Then there IS no fighting over a higher or lower roost, they all snuggle together or spread out as they like.