Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I'll be honest I am no expert on judo but on the guard pull he pulled away instad of just going with him and practically swept himself.

He forces that by getting a grip on the arm, blue tries to pull away but his feet are square and so far apart that he basically can't do anything in response. It is a really cool set up but the armbar after was just embarrassing. Judo would be so much cooler if the competitors worked their newaza more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.bjjee.com/featured/braulio-estima-suspended-for-2-years-following-usada-banned-substance/

quote:

Last June during the 2014 Jiu-Jitsu world championships, Braulio Estima took the gold medal in the medium heavyweight class closing out the bracket with team mate Romulo Barral. After the tournament, Estima was controlled by USADA.

The results came back positive for Methylhexaneamine (DMAA) which is commonly found in some pre-workout drinks. Estima has been stripped of his title by IBJJF and USADA and has been given a 2 year suspension.

:smith:

There's a video statement from him on the site right now but I can't watch it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Does anyone have a list of the weight divisions? I'm guessing this in house tourney I'm will be IBJFF rules/weight classes or whatever. I don't think I'm going to be under 195 now that I found out you weigh in same day with your gi on...yeah...I guess I need to focus on not being over 208 with the gi on. That switches my plan up a little bit. I float around a flabby midsection 200 pounds so we will see how that goes down.

EDIT FOR CLARITY - I have a Jiu Jitsu tournament on Saturday

Also, as some of you know I used to fence and was coached by a guy who coached many junior olympians to gold medals and people who went on to the olympics. I asked for his insight on how an athlete like me (thinks to much, really bad cardio) should warm up before my tournament on Saturday. He had some recommendations and things to say about the Olympics. You might not give a gently caress but I thought I'd post it here. I'll just call the athlete we talk about Blondie, and my coach is named Doug.

Just a little snippet from our conversation about warming up -

"You should warm up like Michelle Jenneke. Or Kate Hansen"

When I first looked them up I thought he was loving with me. But nope, further conversation shows he believes low level jackasses like me and high level athletes like Blondie should warm up the same way. I'll link some videos. Apologies that the video posters title these things like, "HUUURRR SEXY GIRL DANCE HURRR" and the lovely loud music

Jenneke -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx0bi1CjGBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJenAiKMQg

Hansen -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi8RO0R0_ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTdp2P58wUc

A little more from Doug about the Olympics -

"The Olympics ruin your life. I realize that when I met a gold medalist from Barcelona who drove a Ford fiesta, lived in a crappy condo, and had a cubicle job he hated. But yes Blondie's college coaches coach through fear and intimidation and she,like many, does not respond well to that at all"

I think it's kind of interesting that a guy who has done some pretty high level coaching of various athletes thinks videos of Olympians dancing around is a good way to get loose and warmed up for competition. I like his philosophy. Any thoughts?

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 20, 2014

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I'm not sure I understand your post, actually.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Opal posted:

I'm not sure I understand your post, actually.

Sorry, just talking about getting warmed up for events, what works, mindsets, competition, poo poo like that. I meant to put a tangent warning at the top. I thought people might think it interesting to talk about what you do to get prepared to compete.

I spoke with my old coach from a non-gay hug sport and put his thoughts here. Didn't mean to get too out there.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
This guy is a mess.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think Doug might be an idiot Captain Log.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
To warm up to do jiu jitsu, you should warm up like you usually do when you do jiu jitsu.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Just about any warmup that takes you through a good range of motion and gets your heart rate up without getting you too tired or at risk of hurting yourself is good, and for that purpose dancing is about as good as anything else. But one of the other purposes of a warmup is to get you mentally ready to go, and for that probably the best thing for somebody new to competition is

Keg posted:

To warm up to do jiu jitsu, you should warm up like you usually do when you do jiu jitsu.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
As far as I'm concerned the best warmup is just low intensity rolling. Gets everything nice and loose without much injury risk and has the added benefit of giving you a chance to work on techniques in a live but low risk setting.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
we did that sweep from the judo video at my old home gym often enough that we named it "The Bugs Bunny" sweep. You know because its really simple and embarrassing. When guys slip it in, they can trip ya up though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I regularly hear it called the Idiot Sweep, because you feel like an idiot when you get caught with it.

In BJJ, it's absolutely a legitimate sweep, but mostly it gets used to set up other sweeps from your opponent defending it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

fatherdog posted:

Just about any warmup that takes you through a good range of motion and gets your heart rate up without getting you too tired or at risk of hurting yourself is good, and for that purpose dancing is about as good as anything else. But one of the other purposes of a warmup is to get you mentally ready to go, and for that probably the best thing for somebody new to competition is

I like the thoughts of anything mentally ready to go. But I think this is going to involves a playlist of music on my iphone that make me feel tough enough to not burst into tears at the first sign of adversity. I'm probably putting way more thought into this than the other thirty or so people competing, but it should be fun. I also wish there was a way to be a thirty year old man dancing around in front of people about to compete without collapsing in a black hole of all the shame ever felt by humanity.

I'm not sure if there will be enough room in the gym for some low intensity rolling, but I think that sounds like a drat good idea. I'll try that too if able.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Metamoris V GDT is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682956

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
drat it, the IJF thing is real

The IJF posted:

With regards to your worries towards the IJF decision to limit the migration of judokas to other sports and disciplines, I would like to make the following clarifications: IJF, the Continental Unions, the National Federations, as well as the Judo clubs made serious efforts in these past years on all levels, in order to support and participate in the development reform of our sport.

The International Judo Federation and its Member Federations have extensively invested in training and competitions programs, setting up of structures, equipment donation and media coverage. All these investments must be preserved, like in any other sports, having in their rules a return toward the formative structures.

This extensive development program has an impact on the complexity of the competition program, the media and marketing strategy, the promotion, the IJF solidarity programs worth several million dollars every year, the Sports Department, the Refereeing Department, the Financial Department, Judo for Children, Judo for Schools, Judo for Peace, as well as prize money for athletes and coaches, all of this as part of an idea of radical change of our sport, reflected by the inclusion of Judo, for the first time in history, in the third category of Olympic Sports among the five existing and meanwhile having as major aim the introduction of the Team Event in the Judo Competition at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

All our achievements, as well as our objective to have the team event for the first time in Tokyo 2020, strengthens our conviction that we must maintain our sport in a homogenous, unitary, clean and integral community, in order to achieve all our other objectives for the following period. Judo wishes to preserve its heritage.

It is important to remember that when Wrestling was temporarily removed from the Olympic program, one of the reasons was also the fact that this sport associated with and integrated also other combat disciplines incompatible with the educational values of sport.

IJF does not exclude collaboration and partnership with other combat sports disciplines, but these must be carried out within the limits of mutual advantages and without the migration of athletes from one community to the other. Some agreements were established with federations that specify the conditions of participation.

In this period of reforms and development of Judo, other sports and disciplines noticed our evolution and they showed to be more and more interested in attracted our athletes ready formed, due to the investments made by their clubs, their National Federations, their Continental Unions, as well as IJF, in order to benefit from their services and to generate financial benefits in the interests of certain leaders from other sports, as well as in order to promote the image of these sports through the performances of our athletes, achieved with a lot of efforts and hard work in the Judo competitions at all levels, as well as the Olympic Games. Moreover, private bodies of match organization exploit the work of our federations without any compensation.

At the same time, the migration of athletes to several sports would only represent a spiritual contamination of our sport once these athletes come back to Judo, a sport whose spirit and values were acquired and transmitted through generations, from Jigoro Kano onwards. We should not forget the history of Judo and the merits of all the heroes and legends of our sport.

I consider freedom to be one of the supreme values of humanity but we should not forget that before Freedom, Honor and Loyalty are primary values of any community or generation. The principles and values of our sport are more than enough for individual perfection, on a sports level as well as on the formational level for society.

The values of our sport, together with the Honor and Loyalty to Judo mean a lot more than a few extra dollars for which we could sell our identity and than a bleeding on inhuman face on various podiums of other sports that never made any efforts for the education and sports preparation of the athletes involved.

I can reassure you that the IJF decisions always serve the interests of our sport and our athletes, as well as preserving and developing continuously the values of Judo and the welfare and integrity of our community.

I consider that for all of us, Judo is the true path in life, in sport and in society.
We have to keep Judo strong and united!

With friendship,

Marius Vizer

Basically they're mad that they aren't getting kickbacks from MMA promoters.

Guess I picked a good time to move on. This is especially infuriating when you consider that the way Judo gained acceptance and prominence in the first place was by Kano sending out his students to fight people who trained in other disciplines.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 22, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
You didn't even highlight the most hilarious part:

quote:

At the same time, the migration of athletes to several sports would only represent a spiritual contamination of our sport once these athletes come back to Judo, a sport whose spirit and values were acquired and transmitted through generations, from Jigoro Kano onwards.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Yuns posted:

You didn't even highlight the most hilarious part:

That part is great since Kano founded Judo to be the exact opposite of what it has become at the international level.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Wasn't there a guy in the A/T Martial Arts thread years back that was the personification of the "Judo is being contaminated :qq: " nonsense?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Is there any alternative to the IJF? Like, would it be possible for me to do judo for a few years without paying their fees or entering their lovely-rules competitions?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

1st AD posted:

Wasn't there a guy in the A/T Martial Arts thread years back that was the personification of the "Judo is being contaminated :qq: " nonsense?

Based on absolutely nothing I'm guessing civildisobedience

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

origami posted:

Based on absolutely nothing I'm guessing civildisobedience

I think he's actually thinking of Ridley's Revenge

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Is there any alternative to the IJF? Like, would it be possible for me to do judo for a few years without paying their fees or entering their lovely-rules competitions?

In the US there are three Judo organizations that all recognize each other for the purposes of tournaments, rank, and so on. The USJF is the most grassroots friendly and generally supports a more open style of Judo rather than what the IJF has turned it in to.

Not that I hate everything the IJF has done lately. The rule changes for out of bounds scoring have been great, they dealt with the issue of guys playing the edge orders of magnitude better than wrestling did and I would love to see wrestling copy Judo on that rather than sticking with their stupid push out rule. And I like the changes for shorter pins and to be more discriminating about what deserves an Ippon. But for every good tweak they make to the rules there are a dozen bad ones.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Are there any Judo competitions, or schools, anywhere that use the full range of the art as Kano intended?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

doverhog posted:

Are there any Judo competitions, or schools, anywhere that use the full range of the art as Kano intended?

YHes, they're called BJJ competitions.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

doverhog posted:

I know some of my sambros do AAU judo, which I think has way fewer restrictions and a bigger focus on groundwork.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

I think he's actually thinking of Ridley's Revenge

Was that the guy who said counters and setups have no place in Judo?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

fatherdog posted:

YHes, they're called BJJ competitions.

So are Judo throws slams or not under those rules? Ronda's moves look pretty slammy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

doverhog posted:

So are Judo throws slams or not under those rules? Ronda's moves look pretty slammy.

No.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok cool.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

to add to this, to get something classified as a slam you essentially have to take a running/leaping start or specifically spike someone directly onto the top of their head

I've seen some really rough takedowns but especially at purple and above you have to be kind of an rear end in a top hat to get called on slamming

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

doverhog posted:

Kosen Judo is about as close as you can get. It is basically the same thing as BJJ, which makes sense because both of them branched off in the early 1900s as Judo moved it's focus away from matwork and started removing leglocks and neck cranks. if the IJF didn't have it's head up it's rear end they would have made a big push for that style of training and hosting tournaments under that ruleset a long time ago. But the only places that really do it are a handful of university teams in Japan. Though the AAU's "Freestyle Judo" tournaments are a big step in that direction.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Also many judo clubs will kinda eye roll whatever rules they find ridiculous and teach not approved stuff or let you use more open rules for randori if both people are cool with it.

I tried judo and kept doing illegal things due to bjj instinct but the gym overall was like "no that move works so keep doing it" which was cool.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Dangersim posted:

Was that the guy who said counters and setups have no place in Judo?

That's pretty crazy. I got told by guys at the Kodokan that playing for setups was being too noncommittal but I've never heard of anyone being against counters

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
White belt tourney trip report -

Had an absolute blast. Because of the size of the event it was round robin style, so in the middleweight/light heavy division I made by a pound it was round robin. The absolute, which I did, only had four competitors because everyone was so exhausted. Considered pretty much all of these white belts had at least a year of experience to my two months, I think it went pretty well.

Today I learned that sometimes a person can go from standing infront of you to jumping guard, grabbing a deep collar choke while airborne, and spend the next thirty seconds choking you drat near unconscious.

The main coaches brother who won my division and the tiny absolute tournament tapped out everyone but me. A small victory but I'll take it.

Something popped in my elbow and my considerable resistance to death meant I'm developing a reputation as being really hard to tap out. Everyone kept telling me I have ox strength and strong will, which I think is Jiu Jitsu talk for, "You suck bad, but good effort." I had my vision go black twice and made a bunch of weird snorting noises, but I only tapped at that point.

The recommendation for light rolling to warm up was really good. Whether or not you think he's an idiot my old coaches advice of, "Stay loose, listen to music you like, try to remain calm at all costs." was money. Only problem was when I rolled with the two hundred and forty pound blue belt Iraq vet who only has the speed of, "Maim, kill, tap." That was a little rough.

Overall it was a really fun experience. The guy who tapped me out of the absolute weighed like 135 and I nearly poo poo myself when he did. I really want to train more and go to more tournaments. It was just a bunch of fun. But Jesus I'm really loving bad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It sounds like you don't tap early nor often enough.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

A Wry Smile posted:

That's pretty crazy. I got told by guys at the Kodokan that playing for setups was being too noncommittal but I've never heard of anyone being against counters

One thing I'd like to hear from like FD or other experienced grapplers: I feel like "correct" modern judo is very explosive and favors compact bodies. but if you aren't built for that you're always pushing up hill to meet the standard. I'm 6ft 2 and very light so frustrating with my reach and countering works better than charging in for a big throw. However when I watch older judo, I see a wider range of games and things that more resemble what works for me.

Wrestling had kinda the same vibe. the only wrestling I can apply, despite being in my 20's is old man wrestling taught to me by older guys who've had to change their game to compensate. I've heard that European wrestlers tend to be more technical but I haven't had the exposure to know.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
You guys are aware there is a movie about Mark Schultz coming out right?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8361stZ8n0w

With Steve Carell as the creepiest man on earth.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Captain Log posted:

White belt tourney trip report -

Had an absolute blast. Because of the size of the event it was round robin style, so in the middleweight/light heavy division I made by a pound it was round robin. The absolute, which I did, only had four competitors because everyone was so exhausted. Considered pretty much all of these white belts had at least a year of experience to my two months, I think it went pretty well.

Today I learned that sometimes a person can go from standing infront of you to jumping guard, grabbing a deep collar choke while airborne, and spend the next thirty seconds choking you drat near unconscious.

The main coaches brother who won my division and the tiny absolute tournament tapped out everyone but me. A small victory but I'll take it.

Something popped in my elbow and my considerable resistance to death meant I'm developing a reputation as being really hard to tap out. Everyone kept telling me I have ox strength and strong will, which I think is Jiu Jitsu talk for, "You suck bad, but good effort." I had my vision go black twice and made a bunch of weird snorting noises, but I only tapped at that point.

The recommendation for light rolling to warm up was really good. Whether or not you think he's an idiot my old coaches advice of, "Stay loose, listen to music you like, try to remain calm at all costs." was money. Only problem was when I rolled with the two hundred and forty pound blue belt Iraq vet who only has the speed of, "Maim, kill, tap." That was a little rough.

Overall it was a really fun experience. The guy who tapped me out of the absolute weighed like 135 and I nearly poo poo myself when he did. I really want to train more and go to more tournaments. It was just a bunch of fun. But Jesus I'm really loving bad.

Tap out when someone's got a thing on you, don't force them to hurt you. There's nothing admirable about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

One thing I'd like to hear from like FD or other experienced grapplers: I feel like "correct" modern judo is very explosive and favors compact bodies. but if you aren't built for that you're always pushing up hill to meet the standard. I'm 6ft 2 and very light so frustrating with my reach and countering works better than charging in for a big throw. However when I watch older judo, I see a wider range of games and things that more resemble what works for me.

The consensus best Judoka in the world the past few years is 6 foot 8 and weighs almost 300 pounds.