Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raenir Salazar posted:

Shinji's really popular with the ladies though; its hard to imagine why he'd want Tohsoka so badly when he could probably have almost any girl as his girlfriend.
She's the only person there who he views as even remotely part of the same class as he is, because she's the only one from another mage family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

She's the only person there who he views as even remotely part of the same class as he is, because she's the only one from another mage family.

That's kinda hilarious since even if he wasn't a dick she would never pick him due to him not being able to cast magic. :v:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
The real reason is that being so obviously rich, she's the only one who would never want him for his money.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The Evil Thing posted:

The real reason is that being so obviously rich, she's the only one who would never want him for his money.

People tends to forget this, but the Matou family is actually richer than the Tohsaka. Tohsaka mages spend a lot of money in expensive ancient gems for they magic, so Rin has a lot of economical problems.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

People tends to forget this, but the Matou family is actually richer than the Tohsaka. Tohsaka mages spend a lot of money in expensive ancient gems for they magic, so Rin has a lot of economical problems.

Yes, I was being ironic.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Technically even though Kirei totally ruined the Tohsaka family finances, Rin still has enough to live comfortably, but she's one of those prideful people that refuses to use money she didn't get by herself.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kyte posted:

Technically even though Kirei totally ruined the Tohsaka family finances, Rin still has enough to live comfortably, but she's one of those prideful people that refuses to use money she didn't get by herself.

Is it elaborated how he managed to do this and was it deliberate? Or is that still spoiler territory for UBW?

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I believe it is canon that Kirei bankrupted the Tohsaka estate by eating mapo tofu every day. It really adds up after 10 years.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is it elaborated how he managed to do this and was it deliberate? Or is that still spoiler territory for UBW?

I think it's pretty well-established Kirei likes to torment Rin in way he can. He might not get a chance to be a super villain in the years between zero and stay night, but it's not for lack of trying.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

jellycat posted:

I believe it is canon that Kirei bankrupted the Tohsaka estate by eating mapo tofu every day. It really adds up after 10 years.

Dramatic Mapo Tofu eating, Death Note-style.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rodyle posted:

Looks only

Lancer (FANGS FANGS FANGS)>Kirei>Gil>Archer>Waver>Kiri>Shirou>Avenger>Diarmuid>Lancelot when he's not losing his poo poo

Caster>Iri>Rider>Taiga>Maiya>Baz>Karen>Rin>Saber

Nobody else is particularly worth mentioning in the main series.

I think you're forgetting the Russian bombshell, Natalia Kaminski. :heysexy:

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I took a look at the Type-Moon wiki and it says (according to one of the material books), Kirei actually lost most of the wealth through honest mismanagement and ended up figuring, as a priest, humble poverty would be a good educational experience for Rin.

The wiki also says he orders multiple servings of mapo tofu when he eats, which I had forgotten about but only strengthens my theory.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

jellycat posted:

I took a look at the Type-Moon wiki and it says (according to one of the material books), Kirei actually lost most of the wealth through honest mismanagement and ended up figuring, as a priest, humble poverty would be a good educational experience for Rin.

I actually find Kirei as a bad financial administrator way more funny. Also, the side effect was making Rin greedy, stingy and generally obsessed by money. "Good educational experience" indeed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

I actually find Kirei as a bad financial administrator way more funny. Also, the side effect was making Rin greedy, stingy and generally obsessed by money. "Good educational experience" indeed.

Hollow Ataraxia suggests that Rin was like that even as a young child, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 20, 2014

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Hollow Ataraxia suggests that Rin was like that even as a young child, though.

I have to admit that I found a lot of the Rin segments in F/HA quite boring, so maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
The best Rin part in Hollow Ataraxia out of what I've played so far is the scene where Shirou says he doesn't have any problems being totally obedient to her and actually enjoys it.

I swear this is also like the fifth scene in HA where the topic of men being subservient to women in a relationship is brought up in a kind of humorous context, but also presented as enjoyable. God bless you, Nasu, now just stop putting rape in your stories.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hollow Ataraxia is a game in which Shirou goes shopping, only to run into Caster and Sakura, who made friends when Caster deep fried Lancer for creeping on Sakura. Sakura then launches into a lengthy rant about Rin while pretending (badly) that she's talking about Akiha (Shirou believe this because :downs:).

HA is loving weird (also great, play HA).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hollow Ataraxia also has Rin's rival in an ojou-type character from Finland who loving suplexes people.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Fate/hollow ataraxia is Carnival Phantasm: The Game, and possibly the best Type-Moon work ever created. I hope the Heaven's Feel movie doesn't come long after Unlimited Blade Works finishes, because everyone in this thread should play it after they've been through the whole story of Fate/stay night.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
nothing to see here

(I did forget it wasn't the megathread :downs:)

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 20, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol i hope there's nobody still reading this thread who cares about spoilers

hopefully they've learned by now

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

I think people forgot that this wasn't the type-moon thread somewhere around the Gilgamesh chat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

It's literally impossible to talk about stuff without spoiling it, as this subforum has taught me.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I'm trying to keep all my non-UBW talk limited to characterization stuff instead of plot spoilers because I'd like people who don't already know everything to be able to use this thread, but I don't know if that helps.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

jellycat posted:

I'm trying to keep all my non-UBW talk limited to characterization stuff instead of plot spoilers because I'd like people who don't already know everything to be able to use this thread, but I don't know if that helps.

Even though it's been said - multiple times - that if it's not in this show or its predecessor to not discuss it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a thread that was explicitly made to curb this kind of poo poo and everyone just started ignoring it. shake my loving head.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shyrka posted:

Caster is the true star of HA.

Yeah dude can you spoiler that please?

Anyways, saturday can't come soon enough.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The entire point of the Type Moon thread was to stop the spoilers in this thread, but for some reason people think this is the perfect place to post HA chat and major plot spoilers. I honestly think this thread would be better off closed during the downtime between episodes at this point since it just seems to derail into spoilers and type moon chat.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
By the way people were talking about it, I just assumed HA was some non-canon comedy thing, but I guess those are actual spoilers then?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tarodia posted:

By the way people were talking about it, I just assumed HA was some non-canon comedy thing, but I guess those are actual spoilers then?

It's complicated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At the very least don't worry about it for the duration of this show. Maybe look into after the show and/or movie(s) are over.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I'm not finished with it yet, so as far as I can tell it's basically a non-canon comedy thing, but it definitely assumes you've finished all of FSN. At the very least, it's not Unlimited Blade Works, so I will not post about it in here anymore.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
quote is not edit :(

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Tarodia posted:

Your first assumption was basically right. You should really wait until after F/sn to get to HA, but for the same reason that you'd want to hold off on Carnival Phantasm.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Returning to the topic of dudes and ladies…

I really like a lot of Fate/stay night's secondary characters, but Mitsuzuri Ayako is probably my favorite. For someone with so little importance to the plot, she felt like a very multi-dimensional character and I really liked that she had comfortable and friendly relationships with both Rin and Shirou.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah Ayako is particularly interesting to read in the LN, especially with Seorin's colourful commentary. :D

I liked how there was this one person in the whole world Rin could be comfortable and friendly around and do normal girl stuff.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ayako is cool but she just completely drops out of the story a few days in. Even though her prologue scene brings up a few potential plot threads.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well that is certainly different from the movie version. I can actually understand a little why Shirou and Archer start hating each other.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kojirou :syoon: Team Caster has always been my favorite faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This episode, like the one with Berserker, was glorious.

Archer: Renegade for life.

• Locked thread