Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

dishwasherlove posted:

Looks like Mordheim is about to hit early access on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o1H-qXAnO8

I think this looks awesome and I really want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SRM posted:

I think this looks awesome and I really want to play it.

Ditto.

I hope it works as well as it does in the demo. If it sells well can Necromunda be far behind? :pray:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
They said they'd like to do a Necromunda one if this takes off, and that excites me. Mordheim's cool and all, but I want far future space gangsters killing each other over scrap metal and sewer pipes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I wish I could be as excited as you guys. I don't like the system much and would have prefered isometric dice rolling, but I guess this makes the game accessible :shobon:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

JcDent posted:

I wish I could be as excited as you guys. I don't like the system much and would have prefered isometric dice rolling, but I guess this makes the game accessible :shobon:

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think GW games in general are hugely luck dependant, and prefer systems that limit that. HP instead of wounds, for example, or Blood Bowl system where one failure means end of turn and thus you have to decide how far to push your luck.

Any idea on whether there is some kind of Fog of War? I couldn't be sure either way with the video.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 18, 2014

Zakka
Apr 27, 2010
The developers said that there's a line of sight system but I'm not sure if that only apply to ranged weapons or sight as well.

I'm kinda excited for this. I was a bit sceptical with the camera but it grew on me as I watched the video.

I've never played Mordheim before but always thought it looked cool with all the options, upgrades and injuries for the individuals that gave your gang character and a bit uniqueness. I hope this game's able to remake that aspect!

And support for a few gangs to have a private campaign!

Zakka fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 18, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Zakka posted:

I've never played Mordheim before but always thought it looked cool with all the options, upgrades and injuries for the individuals that gave your gang character and a bit uniqueness. I hope this game's able to remake that aspect!

And support for a few gangs to have a private campaign!

The early look from RPS implied that there was a lot of unit customization involved. Regarding campaigns, I'd be happy with a lobby with random matches and some kind of after battle gang and territory management, which doesn't seem to dificult to implement.

Zakka
Apr 27, 2010
That's good to hear!

Found this thread on the official forum for the game: http://forum.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64

The developer answers the "question of the week".

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dishwasherlove posted:

Looks like Mordheim is about to hit early access on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o1H-qXAnO8

This doesn't control at all like I expected. I figured they'd go for a top-down scheme, but this looks awesome. Even though it's only going to be in early access I think I'll have to pick it up.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

JcDent posted:

What would isometric dice rolling add over what they have implemented?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

This doesn't control at all like I expected. I figured they'd go for a top-down scheme, but this looks awesome. Even though it's only going to be in early access I think I'll have to pick it up.

Maybe they will offer that as an option - BB and SH do it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, when I heard turn-based I was expecting another Space Hulk. I'm super excited for this after that gameplay trailer.

Zakka
Apr 27, 2010
E: Woops, hosed up.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I love the 'Introspection' option that pops up every now and then in that video. It's like they're contemplating the error of their ways after failing to cast a spell.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Been reading around the Mordheim forums a bit and didn't see a definite answer. Are they going to keep the Hero/Henchmen discintion? So far it seems the focus is in single units rather than small squads.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, I kind of expected more dudes (as in a pair of heroes and some henchmen) while isometric dice rolling would be easier on the engine, wouldn't put you close to the somewhat not exciting graphics, help mask the "missing at point blank range" and "attacks are basically just flailing at a dude" stuff, as well as do away with the health bars. I'm really oddly upset about the healthbars.

Then again, I like Focus as a publisher and I've only experienced good (not necessarily great) AA games from their roster. Maybe everything will be OK. Praise Sigmar, kill heretic, roll in money.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It definitely looks like they've decided to largely ignore the table top rules. Whether there will be a more TT-authentic version in there and this is their version of blitz mode, who knows. It's still in alpha after all.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was going to say that maybe GW wanted them to deviate from the TT rules to help keep it selling but then I remembered what thread I'm in.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Moving away from rules would help to sell it to Joe Blowjob and Jane...uh...Pants. Showing all the dice rolling to someone who isn't familiar to the rules would likely scare them away. Now it's all running around, hit percentage and stuff. Smooth and not scary.

Maybe even good, in the end.

I'd say that seeing how this works, a TT version is unlikely to be in game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I don't mind the change - it's different but still gets the point across and has the flavor of the setting and the tabletop game. If Necromunda (a game near and dear to my heart) got the same treatment I'd be ecstatic.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Devs have said that your warband will consist of ten units and you will have as a reserve five more units.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Been reading around the Mordheim forums a bit and didn't see a definite answer. Are they going to keep the Hero/Henchmen discintion? So far it seems the focus is in single units rather than small squads.

One of the answered questions was, "In our game, Henchman can already learn skills but they cannot Master them (upgrade their efficiency). When a Henchman takes the skill Lad's got Talent he becomes a Hero which increases his Offense and Strategy Points, the amount of Skill Points he gains when leveling up and he can also Master Skills."

It looks like they are treating each unit individually but they will still be their own unit type. A step away from the game where your henchman squad would gain the same advance.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Well those are my main fears laid to rest. This game looks seriously awesome.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I wonder if they'll fix the problem where low end gear is too expensive, resulting in a bunch of random dudes with clubs comprising most henchmen while heroes with their better statlines get the real stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Peroxide Cowboy posted:

Devs have said that your warband will consist of ten units and you will have as a reserve five more units.

Phew. Thanks! Now, to hope that the games succeeds and leads to Necromunda. Or Gorkamorka.

I wonder if other warbands will be released as DLC, or as in clumps, like with BB game editions.

Panzeh posted:

I wonder if they'll fix the problem where low end gear is too expensive, resulting in a bunch of random dudes with clubs comprising most henchmen while heroes with their better statlines get the real stuff.

Like anyone would pay to get a dirty peasant armed at the expense of their own arms.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp

berzerkmonkey posted:

In addition, I played a game of Necromunda - I bottled at the beginning of the third turn. That should give you an idea of how badly things went for me that game...

Awesome work man! I'm thinking of doing a Goliath gang using Orks. I was going to use grots as juves, then I realized that I'd be modeling for advantage because of the height difference...

Just started up a Necromunda campaign using NEC rules. I'm running an ork gang using rules from the same place (http://gaming.yaktribe.org/community/vault/orks-in-da-ive.133/). Was kinda torn between using these rules and just running them as goliaths, but I figured I would try them out and I wanted to use my grot models.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Android posted:

Just started up a Necromunda campaign using NEC rules. I'm running an ork gang using rules from the same place (http://gaming.yaktribe.org/community/vault/orks-in-da-ive.133/). Was kinda torn between using these rules and just running them as goliaths, but I figured I would try them out and I wanted to use my grot models.

Let me know how it goes - I'd like to see if they are balanced or not. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket gangs/units/armies as I feel they are usually not playtested enough.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Is Mordheim looking like a PC only title at the mo? I gave up on PC gaming a good few years back and I don't have the inclination to bother getting back into PC gaming any time soon, so a console release would be kinda handy to get my kicks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I would imagine PC only, as console development is pretty expensive and requires a different subset of programming skills.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

berzerkmonkey posted:

I would imagine PC only, as console development is pretty expensive and requires a different subset of programming skills.

Curses! :argh:

Oh well, I'll just go play skyrim some more instead :(

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Did you watch the demo? That looks like a console control scheme if I ever saw one (probably one of the main reasons they aren't going in the more obvious click-to-move direction). Also, it's being developed in Unity, so making a console version is basically "pay for licence, push button". I'd be amazed if it didn't at least come to XBox and PS4, and there's really nothing stopping them making a tablet version.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Wolfsbane posted:

Did you watch the demo? That looks like a console control scheme if I ever saw one (probably one of the main reasons they aren't going in the more obvious click-to-move direction). Also, it's being developed in Unity, so making a console version is basically "pay for licence, push button". I'd be amazed if it didn't at least come to XBox and PS4, and there's really nothing stopping them making a tablet version.

I did watch it. I wasn't aware that there was a "click and convert" system out there for PC to console development though. So that would be cool then, if it was available on console. Especially the 360, as I have a ton of Xbox Live points collecting dust.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

As much as console ports or games designed with console constraints annoy me, I'll take it because more sales means more chance for Necromunda: War in the Underhive.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of which, I wonder why they decided to pick Mordheim instead of Necromunda as a setting.

I was under the impresion that the Necromunda fanbase was bigger, plus it would give the game a more distinctive feeling than generic medieval fantasy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I guess "dark medieval fantasy" is an easier sell than "space gutter punks stabbing each other and shooting each other with exploding handguns" but the latter definitely appeals to me more.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I did watch it. I wasn't aware that there was a "click and convert" system out there for PC to console development though. So that would be cool then, if it was available on console. Especially the 360, as I have a ton of Xbox Live points collecting dust.

I just realised that sounded more confrontational than I meant it to, sorry about that. I use Unity a lot at work, and the cross-platform stuff is pretty amazing when you see it working. Downside is that you have to work to the limits of the most restrictive platform, but PC gamers should be pretty resigned to that by now.

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder why they decided to pick Mordheim instead of Necromunda as a setting.

I was under the impresion that the Necromunda fanbase was bigger, plus it would give the game a more distinctive feeling than generic medieval fantasy.

Because it would give the game a more distinctive feeling than generic medieval fantasy. Marketing bots don't like distinctive, they like fits-into-established-genre because it's easier to sell. No, I'm not bitter...

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
They're probably gunning for cross over interest from all the WFB stuff that's been coming out lately

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

They're probably gunning for cross over interest from all the WFB stuff that's been coming out lately

Ditto on that.

Plus, I've eard people bitch about Unity a lot, in as muc that unity already runs like console ready.

On the flip side, it's better for idea/gameplay over visuals. I mean, Wasteland 2 isn't pretty, but that's OK. No need to slug it out with Inquisition or Wild Hunt.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So, when are we getting a thread for the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, Early Access.

• Locked thread