Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Also- was kept up last night worried about the world I'd created in HoI.

Maybe it's a good time to take a break from computer games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

COOL CORN posted:

Maybe it's a good time to take a break from computer games

Yeah, when you get to that stage you need to sit down and write a comprehensive AAR.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Drone posted:

I really like the art style of the leader portraits in HoI4, all of the historical guys are looking pretty good. How are you handling less well-known ministers? Are there somewhat generic portraits, or do we get a boring silhouette?

There are generics we use for less know ppl. Recreating the whole list of characters (17,000) from hoi3 would take 19.5 years in this style, so its not really feasible ;)

gradenko_2000 posted:

No automation at all? I really didn't mind production automation in 3 and thought that that + 2's actual combat mechanics were what I wanted out of the experience when I didn't want to get too in depth about running the whole country and just wanted to war a bunch.

yeah, but isnt it preferable if that part of the game was fun too

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

Call me silly, but I'd honestly kind of like to see Andreas Waldetoft's take on Soviet marches.

If current trends are any indication there will be country or theater specific music DLC.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

podcat posted:

There are generics we use for less know ppl. Recreating the whole list of characters (17,000) from hoi3 would take 19.5 years in this style, so its not really feasible ;)

welp the casuals win yet again

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If I want to use paratroopers in HoI3 what is a good ratio of Transport to Paratroopers to have? I think I read that the transports have 15 carry capacity so should be able to carry 3 brigades of paratroopers at the start of the war, but I don't recall if it was in HoI3 or 2 that the transports lost all of their org after a mission. That is why I am wondering, is it better to have more divisions of paras to do more drops or more units of transports to pick up and redrop the paras after they complete their objective?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Decrepus posted:

If I want to use paratroopers in HoI3 what is a good ratio of Transport to Paratroopers to have? I think I read that the transports have 15 carry capacity so should be able to carry 3 brigades of paratroopers at the start of the war, but I don't recall if it was in HoI3 or 2 that the transports lost all of their org after a mission. That is why I am wondering, is it better to have more divisions of paras to do more drops or more units of transports to pick up and redrop the paras after they complete their objective?

I believe the transports lose most/all their org after a drop, but I'm pretty sure they don't need to be at full (or near full) org to do another drop so long as you have decent air coverage? The paratroopers need to have the org at 95% or more to re-drop, but I think the transports can pretty much do whatever.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Question for people who played HoI 2 and 3 a fair amount- did the increase in number of provinces lead to you building larger armies?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Out of necessity, yes. I needed more troops to properly defend the same area, and more tanks to properly exploit the breakthroughs, more planes to soften up specific provinces so I could smash through them etc.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Ofaloaf posted:

Nah, they're still around. It's all kind of slow-burning now, from what I understand, since nobody's really wanted to bother with HoI3. KR for DH isn't really 'done', but it can be considered 'completed' far more than most other mod projects, so I mean what's there to do but wait until the next HoI4 for a rousing round of work?

If Paradox ever made KR and/or Hegemonia into DLC for HoI4, I would probably surrender my wallet to them and never leave my house.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Out of necessity, yes. I needed more troops to properly defend the same area, and more tanks to properly exploit the breakthroughs, more planes to soften up specific provinces so I could smash through them etc.

Ok I kind of figured. I was trying to figure out what the army in my last game compared in size to roughly IRL and it was pretty gigantic.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Since we have some paradevs running around here perhaps someone could answer a nagging question I've been wondering about. How the hell do you manage to get all these names?

I'm thinking specifically about crusader kings 2 where you can trace the lineage of some Islamic rulers back to the prophet Muhammad himself and beyond, or any number of other characters who can often trace their families back to nearly pre-Christian times.

I imagine a lot of names have to be more or less made up right? I mean sure you don't have to send an archaeological expedition to some cave in the Himalayas to get a list of the emperors of Rome, but I'd imagine tracing the history of some tribal baron in Pictland must be a tad more difficult.

Mind you, I'm not trying to call you guys out or anything or expose the "GREAT LIE OF GREAT UNCLE ABDUL HAKIM, NEVER AGAIN PARADUCKS!", I'm just genuinely curious about how much research goes into the process and how meticulous you get with it.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Since we have some paradevs running around here perhaps someone could answer a nagging question I've been wondering about. How the hell do you manage to get all these names?

I imagine a lot of names have to be more or less made up right? I mean sure you don't have to send an archaeological expedition to some cave in the Himalayas to get a list of the emperors of Rome, but I'd imagine tracing the history of some tribal baron in Pictland must be a tad more difficult.

Lots of people wrote things down. Monasteries are just coming into vogue as the period opens, and they are literate - it's one of the main functions of a monastery. For the Picts (along with many other societies), if they only write down one thing it's king-lists. They might be mythological, but most post-600 Christian societies have an official chronology written down somewhere, possibly even in a different part of the world (much of the Pictish king list, for example, is only known through Irish annals). This won't help you with lower titles but it gives you a name-base to work off.

When it comes to, say, eastern European pagans, they're probably relying on the names used by Christian chronicles, which are often a bit off but you can often guess what they meant if you've got a linguist to hand.

e: one thing I would love would be the ability to pick 'regnal' names so I can get a X the VIIth thing going on.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I think there was also a fair bit of history contribution by Paradox forum users too.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Obliterati posted:

e: one thing I would love would be the ability to pick 'regnal' names so I can get a X the VIIth thing going on.

An Eric XIV, perhaps?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Obliterati posted:

Also whatever happened to spousal titles differentiated by gender? Like yeah Paradox, we get it, jure uxoris makes "prince consort" ahistorical, but your loving game does not model jure uxoris. If only as a modder-friendly or QoL thing, the capability should be in the game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

OhGreatAGinger posted:

I'm thinking specifically about crusader kings 2 where you can trace the lineage of some Islamic rulers back to the prophet Muhammad himself and beyond, or any number of other characters who can often trace their families back to nearly pre-Christian times.

Mind you, I'm not trying to call you guys out or anything or expose the "GREAT LIE OF GREAT UNCLE ABDUL HAKIM, NEVER AGAIN PARADUCKS!", I'm just genuinely curious about how much research goes into the process and how meticulous you get with it.

None of the CK team post here, so you're unlikely to get a super detailed answer, but they had a scripter spend a long time researching them as well as recruiting a number of the forum posters involved with the very historical mods for other games or who had posted a lot about the need for historical detail early in the process.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder how many Balkan volunteers they received.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Video of me sperging about tanks at a museum and hoi4 for 10 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCeEy1IFyX4

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
That comments section is going to be full of masturbation about SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING.

Too bad that after the glory days of the panzers on the west front, the Soviets simply did the tanking business much better than the Germans who aimed for the stars they could not reach.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Trogdos! posted:

That comments section is going to be full of masturbation about SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING.

Too bad that after the glory days of the panzers on the west front, the Soviets simply did the tanking business much better than the Germans who aimed for the stars they could not reach.

Better to dream and fail than never dream at all!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Soviets dreamed too, they just had more practical goals than 'let's make a tank so heavy it destroys roads as it drives upon them'.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

BBJoey posted:

The Soviets dreamed too, they just had more practical goals than 'let's make a tank so heavy it destroys roads as it drives upon them'.

It's ideal if you retreat and want to tear up the road so the enemy can't use it! Paradox, we better see this highly efficient technology represented ingame!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

podcat posted:

The views expressed in this video do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the entire HoI4 team :ussr:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

podcat posted:

I, too, dream of the day I can strap tank treads to the USS Iowa and drive it through its namesake.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

podcat posted:

Is there going to be a system that allows a player to control how much manpower is directed towards industry (versus military), or will it mostly be an IC system like before?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Is there going to be a system that allows a player to control how much manpower is directed towards industry (versus military), or will it mostly be an IC system like before?

Perhaps arranged in some sort of POP system?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

podcat posted:

Better to aim for the stars and hit Honolulu than aim for Honolulu and hit the ocean!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Only if the system is broken down by age groups to properly model the impact of millions of young men serving in the military.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'll be honest, I can't tell if Paradox would be accused of making light of the holocaust by implementing a pop system where certain groups in your control can't be used for anything because your political ideology is built in part on hating them...

edit- like if there was a specific system that allowed me to say yes my magical Germany did not commit the holocaust, I'd probably be less queasy about playing them? Same with Japan...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 20, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ArchangeI posted:

Only if the system is broken down by age groups to properly model the impact of millions of young men serving in the military.

Experience the impact of the lost generation.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'll be honest, I can't tell if Paradox would be accused of making light of the holocaust by implementing a pop system where certain groups in your control can't be used for anything because your political ideology is built in part on hating them...

edit- like if there was a specific system that allowed me to say yes my magical Germany did not commit the holocaust, I'd probably be less queasy about playing them? Same with Japan...

"Guys, what the hell do i do with the Roma pops?"

The video talked about wolfram. Will the game separate a ton of metals into their own economic sections or are they simply using an example of the importance of the rare material resource?

Mans fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 20, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mans posted:

"Guys, what the hell do i do with the Roma pops?"

The video talked about wolfram. Will the game separate a ton of metals into their own economic sections or are they simply using an example of the importance of the rare material resource?

That stuck out to me also- because I thought one of the previous diaries said that at least all the general resources (steel/energy/rare/oil) were kinda just getting rolled into one basic resource. I know 3 also had strategic resources on top of those that more provided global effects to the player...maybe it's more like that?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Decisions:
  • Genocide the: [Dixie]".

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Mans posted:

we have identified a couple of important resources we call strategic resources (it doesnt work like the ones in hoi3) that are critical for certain industry. Wolfram (or tungsten) is one.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tomn posted:

I, too, dream of the day I can strap tank treads to the USS Iowa and drive it through its namesake.

I thought the times when it was okay to wage war on Native Americans were long since over?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That stuck out to me also- because I thought one of the previous diaries said that at least all the general resources (steel/energy/rare/oil) were kinda just getting rolled into one basic resource.

Wait what

How exactly can you make a WWII game where oil isn't represented as its own resource? It was, you know, kind of a significant factor.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
There's a separate oil icon visible in the video, together with what I guess is aluminium, rubber, cone thing, steel, and ballbearings/marbles.

e: Wait it's oil, aluminum (nnnooo), rubber, tungsten, steel, and chromium. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCeEy1IFyX4&t=455s

Koesj fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 20, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm sorry but I don't this game will be any good without the Free City of Danzig. I might have to pass this one up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

Wait what

How exactly can you make a WWII game where oil isn't represented as its own resource? It was, you know, kind of a significant factor.

No time to fact check, gotta get mad! :justpost:

Oil is still a resource, Slime Bro Helpdesk is thinking of raw materials - the metal/energy/rare materials used to run IC in previous HoIs have been rolled into one, there's a DD about it here.

• Locked thread