Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Last night I couldn't sleep. My brain wouldn't turn off. One of the piles of thoughts that ricocheted around in my head was why Enix, in the 16-bit era, chose to publish all those RPGs/questy-type-things in the US but not a single DQ game. I mean, I liked Soul Blazer and EVO to certain degrees, but none of the others looked even remotely interesting compared to the stuff Square was putting out. As a kid/early teen I had to be picky due to no allowance and only getting games for birthdays/christmas. It makes me wonder if the combined sales of ActRaiser 2, RoboTrek, 7th Saga, etc. would be equal to or even less than say, Dragon Warrior V if it had existed, due to name recognition or something. I know RPGs weren't nearly as popular then, but I keep thinking that maybe the DQ series wouldn't tank these days if they were actually around to play on the SNES. Okay, I understand about the remakes... but no DQ5 or 6 and instead we get... Paladin's Quest? Was there an enormous production cost on publishing Horii/Sugiyama/Toriyama works internationally (licensing fees or whatever)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Ofecks posted:

Last night I couldn't sleep. My brain wouldn't turn off. One of the piles of thoughts that ricocheted around in my head was why Enix, in the 16-bit era, chose to publish all those RPGs/questy-type-things in the US but not a single DQ game. I mean, I liked Soul Blazer and EVO to certain degrees, but none of the others looked even remotely interesting compared to the stuff Square was putting out. As a kid/early teen I had to be picky due to no allowance and only getting games for birthdays/christmas. It makes me wonder if the combined sales of ActRaiser 2, RoboTrek, 7th Saga, etc. would be equal to or even less than say, Dragon Warrior V if it had existed, due to name recognition or something. I know RPGs weren't nearly as popular then, but I keep thinking that maybe the DQ series wouldn't tank these days if they were actually around to play on the SNES. Okay, I understand about the remakes... but no DQ5 or 6 and instead we get... Paladin's Quest? Was there an enormous production cost on publishing Horii/Sugiyama/Toriyama works internationally (licensing fees or whatever)?

The wikipedia article on DQ6 kind of reveals why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_VI:_Realms_of_Revelation#Development

quote:

According to Nintendo Power, Dragon Quest VI was originally planned for North American release in the spring of 1996 under the title "Dragon Warrior V."[41] However, the Super Nintendo localization of the game never took place, Enix having already given up on the US market.[3] Square, one of the only companies still willing to bring console role-playing games to the US, was also still struggling to get their games to sell in the US, and therefore, Dragon Quest VI had no companies willing to take a risk for it.[3] In Nintendo Power vol. 81, the staff wrote an article on Dragon Quest VI, hoping the game would find a North American release. They also suggested why the series might not appeal to the American audience: there is too much fighting and not enough adventuring.[7] Other critics have mentioned that class building becomes tedious and that the dual worlds are too overwhelming, both possible reasons against a US release.[3] Dragon Quest VI was listed as #7 among the 10 Best Japanese Games Never Released in the U.S. by GamePro magazine in their May 2005 issue.[42]

Maybe DW3 and 4 didn't do as well as we thought and combined with the niche games like ActRaiser and 7th Saga they kind of gave up on the US market.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 16, 2014

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Wasn't Paladin's Quest also a bit of a bomb stateside for Enix?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
That Dragon Quest VI special in Nintendo Power ruined my childhood. I read that section over and over again, imagining how amazing the game would be and marveling at the number of classes (18, I think?) and all for nothing.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Games from my childhood. :allears:

Actraiser was more action than role playing in my opinion, and the fun simcity parts. (Liked it)
7th Saga had that godawful difficulty ramp. (Liked it up to that point)
Paladin's Quest took a lot of getting used to and seemed preachy at times. (Liked it, headbutt all day err day)

Even though I liked them, I could see how certain elements would turn off an audience.

But yeah, none of them really sold. I mean, other than DQ the series that got me into the genre was Lufia and that seemed to only do okay.

e: By series I'm not including Zelda or FF.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 17, 2014

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
What's even more annoying about Enix was that they saw fit to release the stylistically similar Soul Blazer and Brain Lord on SNES around the same time while ignoring 5 and 6.

Also, I can't find my DW7 work files (probably on CD and Zip Drives in Mac format somewhere, but I can't be bothered. I did find a bunch of Pokemon text files from the original Ruby and Sapphire onwards, though.), so I can't find more memorable jester lines.
It's probably for the best.

"Meranza (a melon monster) wanted to run off with its lover, but it cantaloupe!"
"An imp fouled the well. It was impure in fact."

...Yeah, probably best forgotten.
They're in the game, play it and see, if you can stomach all the crashes that 7's prone to.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Adam Bowen posted:

That Dragon Quest VI special in Nintendo Power ruined my childhood. I read that section over and over again, imagining how amazing the game would be and marveling at the number of classes (18, I think?) and all for nothing.

Same here. I was also on Enix's mailing list at the time, they called the newsletter "Warrior World". Oh the irony. Seemed like every quarter they were like, "Okay so we want to release the DQ games in the US, really we do, but we need to show the higher-ups that there's actual interest. Please write us!" I did every time. It was clearly not enough.

As an aside, I was also on Square's mailing list, I think they called it "Ogopogo Examiner". I remember being excited for a possible FFV release. They wanted to call it "Final Fantasy Extreme". :krad: In hindsight, I was perfectly happy getting FF6 instead, and being introduced later to the job system with Tactics. They sent me the FF7 promo VHS, which was awesome and cemented my switching from Nintendo to Sony that generation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Also, I can't find my DW7 work files (probably on CD and Zip Drives in Mac format somewhere, but I can't be bothered. I did find a bunch of Pokemon text files from the original Ruby and Sapphire onwards, though.), so I can't find more memorable jester lines.
It's probably for the best.
You should make an A/T thread or something, I'd love to get stories behind stuff like this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Adam Bowen posted:

Same here. I constantly read it over and waited, all for nothing. Once I learned about NES emulators in high school I was able to find out SNES ones existed too, but we still had a crappy 486 so the DOS-based emulator that existed ran at about 1/10th normal speed.

When I finally built my own PC, with a blisteringly fast Celeron 333mhz cpu, DQ6 was one of the first unavailable games I tried to play.

Enix releasing Soul Blazer in the US was fine, but that nobody ever released Terranigma was a goddamn crime. EVO's still one of my favorite games of all time. Getting in to Eden as a quadruped dinosaur with a spikey shell and that poo poo-eating grin the t-rex jaws gave you. :allears:

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Games from my childhood. :allears:

Actraiser was more action than role playing in my opinion, and the fun simcity parts. (Liked it)
7th Saga had that godawful difficulty ramp. (Liked it up to that point)
Paladin's Quest took a lot of getting used to and seemed preachy at times. (Liked it, headbutt all day err day)

I swear that 7th Saga's brutal difficulty ramp was because of either a bug or terrible design decision that caused apprentices in your party to only ever gain the base range of stats, while the rest of them leveled up properly off-screen. I beat the game as a kid by letting it run overnight with a turbo controller so I went from the 30s to level 60 (at which point you needed some obscene amount of xp for lvl 61) and while Wilhem had decent stats, he was completely and utterly dwarfed by anyone else if I recruited them. Lux had the Sky Rune and was impossible to hit, while he'd do around 1k damage to me. I eventually got him to offer to join me instead and his stats were through the loving roof. With an attack boost he did around 1600-1700 damage when using the defend-attack method. On a non-crit.

Apparently the apprentices, outside your party, gained +1 per 10 levels to every stat on every level gain. So for example at level 55 they were gaining their normal rolls +5 which resulted in them completely overshadowing you. If you recruited someone in their late 30s or earlier 40s they likely had a significant stat gap on you, even if you're Lux/Wilhem and you recruited Valsu/Esuna they'd likely hit harder than you could. The final leg of the game was also far less bullshit with one of them at a properly scaled level, even if your own character still largely sucked. IIRC there's a fan patch that fixes your gains so they go up the same way and it apparently flattens the terrible difficulty curve. Doesn't make the ending scene any less of a massive gently caress You.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
So, Dragon Quest II on mobile seems to have some even more differences from the SNES/GBC version that makes things slightly easier. I just beat it last night.

Now I'm not familiar with the NES/SNES versions, and I only played through the GBC version once but I think these changes are correct. The Princess gets her Open spell once again (at level 36), which is now called "Click". Also, one of the Crests had its locations changed as apparently the Life Crest was originally in the Cave to Rhone, (not quite sure where I found it, I think it was just on the floor in one of the villages).

Game is still a little bullshitty with its encounters but I don't think I had any party members felled until Rendarak (originally Rhone), where the difficulty ramped up to the extreme (not even the Cave was that tough, I think the Frostburns are the only enemies who cast Thwack now).

Best change of all, Zoom lets you go to any town in the game. These gameplay changes and the higher quality music makes this the best version for me.

Now I hope Dragon Quest III comes out in English here, although apparently the monsters aren't animated anymore? :smith:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest 2 mobile added Zoom? That was exactly what I wanted that game to have.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, DQII mobile is fantastic, and DQIII mobile unfortunately doesn't have animated monsters.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How come the princess is kinda useless in DQ2 mobile? Her most damaging spell sucks compared to Green Dude's most damaging spell, and she's supposed to be the token mage. Is there a second page of spells, or is she stuck doing 20-30 damage to groups of enemies?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tucked In The Cut posted:

How come the princess is kinda useless in DQ2 mobile? Her most damaging spell sucks compared to Green Dude's most damaging spell, and she's supposed to be the token mage. Is there a second page of spells, or is she stuck doing 20-30 damage to groups of enemies?

Because DQ2 is poorly balanced. She eventually gets Kaboom, which does decent (~70) damage, but for the most part she's dead weight.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Tucked In The Cut posted:

The princess wasn't useful in the NES original, either. The hero is the only good offensive character. The other two are support or meat shields.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The princess is, in fact, just kinda useless yeah. Aside from being able to use healing magic.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fuckin drat!!!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

She was fine in the SFC remake, so I'm surprised that that would slide backwards. She gets Explodet and plenty of mana to use it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
So, I went out today to have some sushi (Sushi Sunday!) and I stopped by a local used game shop that I had heard about from a few of my students. You'll never guess what I found there: a slightly dusty copy of Dragon Warrior VII sitting naked (no box, no case) on a shelf in a glass case. Even though I have a copy now thanks to Himuro, I picked it up because the price was much better than anything going on eBay or Amazon. Just so nobody accuses me of "flipping", here's a screenshot of the Disc 1s and the 2s:

Assuming that Himuro has no objections, since (s)he was so generous with me I would like to do the same for the thread. The discs are in good shape and work just fine - I tested them briefly - and I will supply a 2-CD case as a courtesy. I don't want any money, but I bought Himuro a modestly-priced game as thanks for the generosity, and I would like to ask the same of the new owner of this one. As recompense, I ask for a gift copy of Shovel Knight on GOG as I have been gagging to play that game since it came out. I will send the game in a generic case on my own dime. This thread's been good to me and I'd like to be good to it, I just ask for a bit in return.

Edit: Sorry for the huge images, but I only have an iPod to take pictures with and I wanted the disc numbers to be easily seen.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 27, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

JustJeff88 posted:

So, I went out today to have some sushi (Sushi Sunday!) and I stopped by a local used game shop that I had heard about from a few of my students. You'll never guess what I found there: a slightly dusty copy of Dragon Warrior VII sitting naked (no box, no case) on a shelf in a glass case. Even though I have a copy now thanks to Himuro, I picked it up because the price was much better than anything going on eBay or Amazon. Just so nobody accuses me of "flipping", here's a screenshot of the Disc 1s and the 2s:

Assuming that Himuro has no objections, since (s)he was so generous with me I would like to do the same for the thread. The discs are in good shape and work just fine - I tested them briefly - and I will supply a 2-CD case as a courtesy. I don't want any money, but I bought Himuro a modestly-priced game as thanks for the generosity, and I would like to ask the same of the new owner of this one. As recompense, I ask for a gift copy of Shovel Knight on GOG as I have been gagging to play that game since it came out. I will send the game in a generic case on my own dime. This thread's been good to me and I'd like to be good to it, I just ask for a bit in return.

Edit: Sorry for the huge images, but I only have an iPod to take pictures with and I wanted the disc numbers to be easily seen.

Cool dude. I would totally be down for this - do you have PMs? Also, <timg> your pictures!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm a she and it's okay with me. Spread the love! LOVE AND PEACE!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

I'm a she and it's okay with me. Spread the love! LOVE AND PEACE!

That was a pretty drat cool move. You make me want to mail out my scratched old PSX games I just emulate these days anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

7th Saga stuff

There are a fair amount of bugs in the game, but IIRC the stat gain thing was intentional...on the localization team's part. They reduced the stats gains of everyone when you're playing/they're you're ally without doing any other balancing to up the difficulty. Another bullshit thing you didn't mention is if you fight Valsu and you're high enough leveled, he's high enough leveled to have a full cure he can cast as much as he wants, making killing him literally impossible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
By the time he gets that spell his stat difference is so high he's already able to kill you with certainty I think. I know I tried fighting him in the low 30s as Kamil once and his Ice 1 spell could one shot me while his physical hit was probably 50-60% of my HP.

There is a fanpatch that undoes the stat bullshit though so using that is a must if someone wants to play 7th Saga for whatever reason.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Slightly offtopic: if you're into DQ series, you owe it to yourself to watch Hero Yoshihiko. It's a short TV show parodying DQ and other JRPGs tropes with no budget, but pretty established cast (I'm pretty sure I saw the MC in Miike's 13 assassins) and awesome OST. First season subbed is available on Dailymotion in its entirety. I haven't watched the second, but I've heard it's more of the same and not that good.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
It's November. I wonder if we'll see DQ3 for Android released on the same schedule as 1 and 2 were - which would be either this or next Thursday. Fingers crossed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hell yeah, for some reason I've never finished 3 so I'd love playing it on my phone.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I think this will be the first ever Nintendo Direct where I am absolutely sure not a peep about DragonQuest in NA will be uttered, and I don't even have the slighest sliver of hope.
:smith:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

truly a World Of Darkness

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Orange Fluffy Sheep is doing a Let's Play of Dragon Quest VIII. It just recently started, so there aren't many updates to go through to catch up.

Does anyone collect the card game? I've been buying boxes to try and complete each set, but I'm still a few cards short if anyone wants to trade.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Didn't see anything about it in here, but supposedly the Dragon Quest edition PS4 comes out Dec. 11th in Japan

Siliconera posted:

This special console is silver and has a matching metal slime DualShock 4 controller. You also get a metal slime that plugs into the system’s USB port and sits on the console, a 15 day ticket for PlayStation Plus, a code to download a Dragon Quest Heroes theme, and a download code for Dragon Quest Heroes. People that purchase the 49,980 yen bundle will be able to play Dragon Quest Heroes one day early.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That LMS is the cutest thing.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What's the reason for it taking up a USB slot?

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

iastudent posted:

Didn't see anything about it in here, but supposedly the Dragon Quest edition PS4 comes out Dec. 11th in Japan

I really wanted to get this but I just bought a dog, so I probably won't. I also still have like 20,000 yen sitting on my Japanese PSN account too, so that probably indicates how often I console game these days. (almost never except for Destiny)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone just posted an interview with Robert Jerauld, a former producer at Enix USA mk1 - there's talk about 'Dragon Warrior V" aka DQ6, as well as the other games they worked on like the early Quintet stuff and the USA-developed King Arthur and the Knights of Justice:

http://gaming.moe/?p=331

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

What's the reason for it taking up a USB slot?

And why doesn't it add 8-32gb space? It's definitely big enough to.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Several places already taking preorders for the PS4.

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/playstation-4-console-japan/9856-ps4-dragon-quest-metal-slime-edition.html

No? How about...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BD%E...bs_videogames_2

Oh, I'm sorry. Still too inexpensive for you?

http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-4-system-dragon-quest-metal-slime-edition-paOS-13-49-en-70-84yd.html

:suicide:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Well poo poo. I wanted to buy one of those!

...oh well, I'm sure I can find a Japanese friend.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Seriously though, what does that metal slime do and why does it need a USB slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Is the iOS port of DQVIII worth it? I never played the game on PS2.