Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

gypsyshred posted:

I'm transitioning jobs, and long story short, I need to make some cash. I have my bass amp that I love, and I'm sure its worth something, but I'm not sure exactly what to ask for. It's a bit rare (Mesa Boogie Bass 400[not Plus]), so just looking at ebay ect isn't getting me anywhere. All my google-fu brings me prices for the Plus version. Is there a resource I can use to determine a fair price for it?

I was looking at those a couple years ago and I think at the time the plus and non-plus versions were going for about the same price, maybe slightly less for the non-plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Truthfully, I'd rather have the non-plus version, since 6550s are readily available again, and the tube complement for a 400+ makes a SVT seem reasonable.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

gypsyshred posted:

I'm transitioning jobs, and long story short, I need to make some cash. I have my bass amp that I love, and I'm sure its worth something, but I'm not sure exactly what to ask for. It's a bit rare (Mesa Boogie Bass 400[not Plus]), so just looking at ebay ect isn't getting me anywhere. All my google-fu brings me prices for the Plus version. Is there a resource I can use to determine a fair price for it?

Going by TalkBass looks like they tend to go for just under $800 including shipping.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Yeah its a great amp and I'm sad to see it go. Thanks for the info.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm looking for suggestions for a new amp. I've been playing for about two and a half years now, and finally have a bit of money spare for Christmas time. I'm quite happy with my guitars and pedals for the most part (Although who couldn't have more?) but I've been using a Vox Pathfinder 10 for the entire time. I really like the clean of the Vox, but the overdrive channel leaves something to be desired. It also suffers from the fact that to change from clean to dirty you need to physically press a button. I don't gig right now so it's more a convenience thing, but I do write songs and it helps me to go from clean to dirty immediately.

To currently do that I get my dirt via a Bass Big Muff and Jet City Shockwave Distortion. These are fine and I love the sounds they offer, but I'm also being outmatched in volume at jam sessions. 10W isn't really cutting it in a group session though it's fine for playing at home.

So I'm looking at a new amp. I'm thinking I might as well get something decently large I could possibly gig at small venues, with two channels, a nice clean and a heavy dirt channel. My dirt sound is not really traditional metal like Metallica and the like but veers more towards alternative rock (Think Pumpkins) to sludge/doom (Woods of Ypres and that sort). I could always get a single channel amp with a good clean, but I love the sounds you get from an amp's dirty channel. It's something that's hard to replicate with pedals.

Anyway, Big Muff good, Shockwave good (Although right now I use it at a low gain which is a rarity for me) but amp dirt needs to be good too. I downtune low enough (Maybe Drop B?) but not to Djent levels. I'm not really digging stock Marshall's or the classic rock/metal amps. Budget is around AUD$800 for a head. The big runners for me, if I can get a chance to play them all, are the Jet City 50W head, the Blackstar HT-50H and especially the Vox Night Train 50H.

If you need any specifics about my playing I can provide, but I'm leaning to the Vox because it's supposed to have AC30 style cleans (Like my current amp, but betterer!) and from what I've heard online it doesn't do "metal" that well, but seems to have a heavier, non-scooped sludgey sound when dimed.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for a new amp. I've been playing for about two and a half years now, and finally have a bit of money spare for Christmas time. I'm quite happy with my guitars and pedals for the most part (Although who couldn't have more?) but I've been using a Vox Pathfinder 10 for the entire time. I really like the clean of the Vox, but the overdrive channel leaves something to be desired. It also suffers from the fact that to change from clean to dirty you need to physically press a button. I don't gig right now so it's more a convenience thing, but I do write songs and it helps me to go from clean to dirty immediately.

To currently do that I get my dirt via a Bass Big Muff and Jet City Shockwave Distortion. These are fine and I love the sounds they offer, but I'm also being outmatched in volume at jam sessions. 10W isn't really cutting it in a group session though it's fine for playing at home.

So I'm looking at a new amp. I'm thinking I might as well get something decently large I could possibly gig at small venues, with two channels, a nice clean and a heavy dirt channel. My dirt sound is not really traditional metal like Metallica and the like but veers more towards alternative rock (Think Pumpkins) to sludge/doom (Woods of Ypres and that sort). I could always get a single channel amp with a good clean, but I love the sounds you get from an amp's dirty channel. It's something that's hard to replicate with pedals.

Anyway, Big Muff good, Shockwave good (Although right now I use it at a low gain which is a rarity for me) but amp dirt needs to be good too. I downtune low enough (Maybe Drop B?) but not to Djent levels. I'm not really digging stock Marshall's or the classic rock/metal amps. Budget is around AUD$800 for a head. The big runners for me, if I can get a chance to play them all, are the Jet City 50W head, the Blackstar HT-50H and especially the Vox Night Train 50H.

If you need any specifics about my playing I can provide, but I'm leaning to the Vox because it's supposed to have AC30 style cleans (Like my current amp, but betterer!) and from what I've heard online it doesn't do "metal" that well, but seems to have a heavier, non-scooped sludgey sound when dimed.

Consider the egnater tweaker 40h, it has a lot of options and the 15H's AC setting is really nice. Not 100% sure what the footswitch has on it for the 40w version (the original 15w version requires flicking a switch or using an OD pedal) but yeah, I really love my 15h and am into similar stuff, and don't like marshalls either (including the marshall setting on the tweaker). Worth trying out IMO.

Anyway, I mentioned some fuzz behind clean signals in the guitar thread yesterday, coming from my old Australian 2x12 with what are supposed to be alnico speakers which sound really nice, and today I took the speaker out to try to fix coil rub, but seeing as I'd never heard it before I took the other speaker out to see what it should sound like... and ripped a huge chunk out of the cone in doing so.
:negative:

Guess I'll look into recones for both of them given the magnets but yeah, pretty angry at myself for being a clumsy idiot piece of poo poo moron fucker right now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

syntaxfunction posted:

One thing I would make sure to keep in mind is that speakers are going to make the biggest single impact in your sound, so if you're looking at heads, you'll need to really look at what you're putting in your cab as well, especially if you demo something at the store. Take note of whatever speakers you're using and what you like and don't like about them.

That being said, I'd probably avoid the HT Club 50 if you don't like vintage Marshalls, because even though it has that nifty ISF control, you're still more or less looking at a Marshall variant (which would actually be good for the music you like to play, but you said you aren't into Marshalls). I've owned a Jet City 50W combo and from what I understand it's the same circuitry as the head and I found it to be overly bright and harsh (which could be fixed with the right speaker, probably, but the Eminences and Celestions I had laying around did not like it). I guess I'd go with the Night Train of those three, but what I'd recommend doing is prowling your local pawn shops/consignment stores/whatever the hell it's called in Australia and see what kind of deals you can stumble upon.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

If anyone lives in the Seattle/Tacoma area, I'm selling my 1963 Tremolux amp.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/4769617111.html

It's fully restored, still has the original Oxfords. Beautiful amp but it's just too much for the kind of stuff I'm doing now.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Is that Tremolux one of the rare EL84 tremoluxes?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

jwh posted:

Is that Tremolux one of the rare EL84 tremoluxes?

Not sure, how can I tell? Here's the chassis and tube chart label:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

beatlegs posted:

Not sure, how can I tell? Here's the chassis and tube chart label:

Nope, that one has 6L6s.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Reason I ask is that there are ~300 or so known examples of Fender producing a Tremolux (already arguably one of the most rare Fender amps of the golden age) with Brit EL84 tubes. They're rare as hens teeth, and they command tremendous money.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Beautiful amp though, that looks great. You're a little high based on the 2015 price guide, but you'll get it- these amps usually go for up to as much as $3,800.

edit: in fact, i'd probably pop it on reverb.com at $3,399. You'll get it, and probably quickly.

jwh fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 21, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Thanks man, I wasn't aware of that site. Will do.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

So if I were to pick up an 11r, should I use full range speakers for gigging?

(also iostream if you still have the 11r you should pm me)

I tried using a PodHD into PA live a few times, the thing about that kind of modelling set up is that it places you at the mercy of the venues PA/monitoring system, singers in particular will hate your guts for filling the monitor mix with guitar. So while you could go without a FRmonitoring thing in practice I think you'd want one.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
E:http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/ValveCaster/ seems pretty cool.

Was looking for an amp. I might try to build this instead.

philkop fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 23, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I may have asked a variation on this before hand. I run a 40 watt Fender Hot Rod combo amp with a 50 watt Weber Load Dump, and there's a 70-watt Celestion G12 V-type speaker in there that was a present from my dad. I'm living in an apartment and left the cover band I used it for, so when I play the Load Dump really attenuates the signal.Sometimes I silence the signal to the speaker and take a line out from the Load Dump as preamp before treatments in the DAW. An acquaintance told me about underpowering speakers causes the voice coil to overheat. How true is this?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I've got a Fender red-knob Super 112 that I adore for guitar. It occurred to me that since it's got an effects loop I could probably hook a bass head to the effects loop input if the impedance matched, or was lower.

Should this work or is it gonna blow up the speaker or electronics or something?

Edit, realize I'm being an idiot and need to connect the speakers, not the effects loop output. Not sure if I can do that have to take a look.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 24, 2014

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

I may have asked a variation on this before hand. I run a 40 watt Fender Hot Rod combo amp with a 50 watt Weber Load Dump, and there's a 70-watt Celestion G12 V-type speaker in there that was a present from my dad. I'm living in an apartment and left the cover band I used it for, so when I play the Load Dump really attenuates the signal.Sometimes I silence the signal to the speaker and take a line out from the Load Dump as preamp before treatments in the DAW. An acquaintance told me about underpowering speakers causes the voice coil to overheat. How true is this?

Your acquaintance is dumb and full of poo poo

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Yea, that's a myth that is often brought up when the subject of pairing a high wattage speaker with a low wattage amplifier pops up. The argument is that clipping the speaker at low volumes overheats the voice coil the same as if it was being clipped by a more powerful signal. My girlfriend uses a 75 watt Blackheart by Eminence speaker in her AC15C1, a 15 watt tube amp with maybe a 22 watt peak when cranked for more clean headroom. She uses pedals for dirt and she hasn't had any problem.

At the same time though I've heard stories in the hi-fi audio world of people routinely blowing out tweeters rated for a few hundred watts with sub 100 watt power amps, so there is SOME truth to the myth.

Honestly, I think with an attenuator you're more likely to wear out your tubes and or kill your power transformer before your speaker.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Tweaters are comparatively fragile though. Drive a sub-bass note through a 2" speaker at a high enough volume and it will undergo mechanical failure when a high frequency note would play fine.

Except those little 1.5" DevilBomb keychain phone speakers. Those things can take a Bass VI through a fully cranked VOX Metal Amplug and piss off your neighbours if you have thin walls. Far from perfect but they're designed to plug into a smartphone so you can listen to bass heavy electronic music in mono for Reasons?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What's the current attenuator market? I think I'm going to get one for my OR15 but I don't know a single thing about them.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kilometers Davis posted:

What's the current attenuator market? I think I'm going to get one for my OR15 but I don't know a single thing about them.

Weber consistently makes good ones, there are some little hand made attenuators that are a million dollars as well. You want more attenuator wattage rating than your amp, so 25-50 would be the way to go for an OR15.
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm

You should know that you'll chew through power tubes a little quicker if you run the amp hard.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I was actually reading about these the other night in my amp handbook. In the end, he reccomended the Dr.Z Air Brake (http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html) as probably the most robust and useful.

There are some differences in the level of attenuation, and in his opinion, none really offer the best version of power tube distortion when used at maximum settings. With that in mind, he recommended the Dr. Z (as it doesn't attenuate as much load as some other units). The higher end units add depth switches, brightness switch, headphone jack, DI silence modes, etc.

Dr. Z. Air Brake- http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html
Webber MASS series (which can be resistors or speaker load style) - http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
THD Hotplate - http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html
Jet City Jettenuator - http://www.jetcityamplification.com/#!jettenuator/c12ve
Rivera Rock Crusher - http://www.rivera.com/products/power/rockcrusher.php

I'm sure there's lots more, but there's some reading for now.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ok, my amp sounds like poo poo and hums like crazy recently. Im guessing its the valves since I've never changed them

However, there is also a smell, a kind of burning solder type deal when its on. Is this normal for valve failure or does it indicate something more serious?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

massive spider posted:

Ok, my amp sounds like poo poo and hums like crazy recently. Im guessing its the valves since I've never changed them

However, there is also a smell, a kind of burning solder type deal when its on. Is this normal for valve failure or does it indicate something more serious?

what kind of amp is it?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Blackstar HT40

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

massive spider posted:

Blackstar HT40

yeah it's probably a power tube going bad. if you want get a small wooden stick or something like a chop stick and tap on the individual tubes while it's on. prob can find the culprit that way but most likely a bad tube.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

Sockington posted:

I was actually reading about these the other night in my amp handbook. In the end, he reccomended the Dr.Z Air Brake (http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html) as probably the most robust and useful.

There are some differences in the level of attenuation, and in his opinion, none really offer the best version of power tube distortion when used at maximum settings. With that in mind, he recommended the Dr. Z (as it doesn't attenuate as much load as some other units). The higher end units add depth switches, brightness switch, headphone jack, DI silence modes, etc.

Dr. Z. Air Brake- http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html
Webber MASS series (which can be resistors or speaker load style) - http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
THD Hotplate - http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html
Jet City Jettenuator - http://www.jetcityamplification.com/#!jettenuator/c12ve
Rivera Rock Crusher - http://www.rivera.com/products/power/rockcrusher.php

I'm sure there's lots more, but there's some reading for now.

I bought my Airbrake two years ago from Long and McQuade and I have yet to have a problem with it. I have used it with a 50 and 100 watt Marshall Superlead without fault and it sounds fairly decent as I crank the ever loving poo poo out of those amps.

I don't know what kind of amp you have but if it's a higher wattage amp like mine, you are best to mismatch the load (set head to 8 ohms if using single 16 ohm cab). I find it keeps things running cooler and it's even suggested in the airbrake manual.

Also buy a used one because the prices are becoming retarded.

Plus the dude who made Trainwreck amps helped design the drat thing!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was pretty set on a weber mass but that air brake looks perfect for what I need. I've got a local dealer for Dr. Z so maybe I could get a good deal on one. Still have a $100 gift card for the shop too.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

massive spider posted:

You should probably get it checked. My Ampeg V3 smells like an electrical fire, so when I brought it up with my tech he told me that's normal for 6550s in the place of 7027As given the current requirement difference or some such moon language.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
looking for some suggestions for some 12ax7 to put into my v4. I am finding the original GEs have a bit too much low end and the highs are too sharp/brittle sounding. Looking for a smooth articulate high end that's more rounded than bright. Mids are negotiable usually keep them at a minimum.

playing guitar out of it mostlyz

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Smash it Smash hit posted:

looking for some suggestions for some 12ax7 to put into my v4. I am finding the original GEs have a bit too much low end and the highs are too sharp/brittle sounding. Looking for a smooth articulate high end that's more rounded than bright. Mids are negotiable usually keep them at a minimum.

playing guitar out of it mostlyz

I have a Telefunken in V1, an RCA in V2, and a Tungsram in V3. Also the orange globe Amperex's are nice, I have two in my V3 head. Tungsrams are my favourite overall preamp tube, but the RCA/Telefunken combo before the Tungsram is pretty drat nice too, and considering that I only have one Telefunken, it's going in V1 of my V4. Also remember it's the 6K11 that's integrated into the mid section and might do you more favours as far as tone is concerned, but it's soldered to the board, not that easy to find, and would be a hassle to replace.

I don't have any real answers for you because you might want to look at the 12DW7 and 12AU7 if you want to change how the highs sound, and I haven't replaced either of them in my VT22 so I have no idea what a difference they make. In any case, you should probably read this: http://atomiumamps.tumblr.com/post/37098604769/ampeg-v-4-analysis-post-restoration

Edit: What brand/type of power tubes are you running?

Also, you would be a fool not to throw the mid toggle to the lowest setting and crank it up on the knob. Holy drat that low mid honk is the best sound ever.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 27, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Handen posted:

I have a Telefunken in V1, an RCA in V2, and a Tungsram in V3. Also the orange globe Amperex's are nice, I have two in my V3 head. Tungsrams are my favourite overall preamp tube, but the RCA/Telefunken combo before the Tungsram is pretty drat nice too, and considering that I only have one Telefunken, it's going in V1 of my V4. Also remember it's the 6K11 that's integrated into the mid section and might do you more favours as far as tone is concerned, but it's soldered to the board, not that easy to find, and would be a hassle to replace.

I don't have any real answers for you because you might want to look at the 12DW7 and 12AU7 if you want to change how the highs sound, and I haven't replaced either of them in my VT22 so I have no idea what a difference they make. In any case, you should probably read this: http://atomiumamps.tumblr.com/post/37098604769/ampeg-v-4-analysis-post-restoration

Edit: What brand/type of power tubes are you running?

Also, you would be a fool not to throw the mid toggle to the lowest setting and crank it up on the knob. Holy drat that low mid honk is the best sound ever.

I will consider grabbing a replacement 6k11 whenever I have to bring if into my tech. and will definitely check out the rest of the tubes and info, I just had no idea where to begin since tube descriptions are usually so stupid.

right now I have some JJ 7027/6l6s in the power section.

I will try the mud toggle switch thing, everytime I've tried to push the mids too much, it gets compressed and lifeless to me.

edit : tried the mid switch to the left and put mids to 2 o'clock and I definitely dig it

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 28, 2014

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Can anyone comment on how close of an approximation the JC channel on the Roland Cube GX series is to a real jazz chorus? I'm looking for a reasonably cheap low-ish volume amp for Jazz and I love the jazz chorus sound but I have no real need for the full size version. I also have no need for the other models/effects, so if there's a better low-volume amp with excellent cleans in that price range I'd like to hear about it - I was looking at the fender champion 600 since it's $150 at musiciansfriend, but I'm kind of soured on the weight and maintenance that comes with tubes.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Keep an eye out for real JCs on craigslist. Schmucks like me by them and then can't get rid of them since they're so loving big.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The JC-77 sounds just as good, but if you're worried about the weight of a combo amp with a single 6" speaker, you aren't going to want a 2x10.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Tubes don't make amps heavy; that would be the transformers, cab/enclosure material, and the chassis.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
tubes don't make amps heavy, I MAKE AMPS HEAVY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
I'm looking for something in entry-level $300 range. Should I go solid state or tube?

Would something like the Vox AC4C1 be appropriate for casual playing with a band/drummer? I'm seeing mixed things online.