Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Gross, a tail dragger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

Gross, a tail dragger.

Piper Cubs own hard. :colbert:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay yeah - My time in a piper cub was absolutly amazing.

That is, until I actually wanted to fly home.....

In something that was faster than 60mph.........

That had a heater.............

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
That's where a husky is useful.

Also tailwheel supremacy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Okay yeah - My time in a piper cub was absolutly amazing.

That is, until I actually wanted to fly home.....

In something that was faster than 60mph.........

That had a heater.............

Yeah we were planning on taking a Mooney but the loving mechanic put the tail on backwards.

Tailwheel for life. Sorry if you hate fun.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Only ever flown non-tailwheel Cubs.

Luckily they floated.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

Gross, a tail dragger.

Tail draggers are great when you're trying to land a plane on a helipad.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

fordan posted:

Only ever flown non-tailwheel Cubs.

Luckily they floated.

This is a valid excuse. I bet it was a blast.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Rolo posted:

Yeah we were planning on taking a Mooney but the loving mechanic put the tail on backwards.

I wish I could empty quote this for days.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Things that happened on last nights flight:

-Aircraft down for MX
-Aircraft listed at wrong gate
-Aircraft required security inspection prior to boarding that no one had bothered to sign off
-Aircraft had to be de-fueled by 7,000 LBS
-1+ hour wait for de-ice
-Manual Weight and balance requiring a load manifest that ramp had forgotten to do
-Multiple 30 minute waits for ramp personnel at various points during boarding/deiceing/push
-When we finally got ready to push, our path was blocked by an aircraft parking at the next gate that couldn't park because they were waiting on our push crew.
-We were being junior manned into an extra overnight (where it's 5 degrees F)
-Pax boarded airplane 2.5 hours prior to push on a flight scheduled for 45 minutes were understandably upset.

And the icing on the cake:

-FAA inspector in the jump seat watching the whole thing. (Our careers are still intact)

"I have never seen an operation fall apart this completely" -FAA inspector.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Rolo posted:

This is a valid excuse. I bet it was a blast.

It was, although I was amused that on the same trip to Florida to get the seaplane rating I also flew 1.0 dual in an aircraft that uses a hang-glider wing that went faster and higher than the seaplane.

But seriously, if you have 2 days to spend in central Florida or anyplace with seaplanes, do the seaplane rating; it's the best way ever to avoid a biennial flight review.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fordan posted:

It was, although I was amused that on the same trip to Florida to get the seaplane rating I also flew 1.0 dual in an aircraft that uses a hang-glider wing that went faster and higher than the seaplane.

But seriously, if you have 2 days to spend in central Florida or anyplace with seaplanes, do the seaplane rating; it's the best way ever to avoid a biennial flight review.

Name the school/location.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'm going to guess Jack Brown's school in Winter Haven

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Animal posted:

I'm going to guess Jack Brown's school in Winter Haven

Bingo. I usually try and get over there and do an hour or so with a CFI (since no one rents seaplanes without their CFI on board as far as I've seen) when down in the area for Sun 'n Fun.

The hang glider winged thing was a Revo WSC trike from Evolution Trikes in Zephyrhills. Still so in lust with the Revo; almost impulse purchased one last year at SnF when they had a discounted one that a buyer opted not to get after already putting a deposit down.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Colonel K posted:

That's where a husky is useful.

Also tailwheel supremacy.

Spent much of my summer making a fuckload of noise (and not getting anywhere too fast) in a Stearman. Best fun I've ever had in any aircraft ever.

Leave the tricycles for the toddlers.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Things that happened on last nights flight:

-Aircraft down for MX
-Aircraft listed at wrong gate
-Aircraft required security inspection prior to boarding that no one had bothered to sign off
-Aircraft had to be de-fueled by 7,000 LBS
-1+ hour wait for de-ice
-Manual Weight and balance requiring a load manifest that ramp had forgotten to do
-Multiple 30 minute waits for ramp personnel at various points during boarding/deiceing/push
-When we finally got ready to push, our path was blocked by an aircraft parking at the next gate that couldn't park because they were waiting on our push crew.
-We were being junior manned into an extra overnight (where it's 5 degrees F)
-Pax boarded airplane 2.5 hours prior to push on a flight scheduled for 45 minutes were understandably upset.

And the icing on the cake:

-FAA inspector in the jump seat watching the whole thing. (Our careers are still intact)

"I have never seen an operation fall apart this completely" -FAA inspector.

I'm pretty sure a fatigue call would be perfectly justified after putting up with that level of BS.

Why did you have to do a manual weight and balance? We use an in-house iPad app for our weight and balance, and despite the fact that IOS 8 kinda broke the software, I don't think anyone here has done a manual weight and balance in several years outside of ground school.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I don't even know how to do a weight and balance in a CRJ. You guys don't use ACARS?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Animal posted:

I don't even know how to do a weight and balance in a CRJ. You guys don't use ACARS?

We have an electronic W&B system that normally sends us a closeout over ACARS. The night of the fuckup our airplane was in the hanger having something fixed with the landing gear. After the mechanics signed off the airplane in the computer, but before the taxied it from the hanger to the gate it was assigned to our flight number in the computer. When the mechanics closed the door and released the parking brake ACARS sent an out time which the computer interpreted as our flight blocking out. At that point the W&B system locks out certain aspects of the closeout (Pax count) so when the airplane arrived at the gate the electronic W&B was effectively useless.

Since the system W&B gets it's data from* is literally a 50+ year old computer program it's prone to failure, which is why we have the capability to do a manual W&

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 6, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

azflyboy posted:

I'm pretty sure a fatigue call would be perfectly justified after putting up with that level of BS.

Didn't we have some discussion before where I was shocked about these statements.

A 3 hour delay is a "I'm too fatigued to fly" call? I mean if it was the 4th day and the 3rd leg and crap sleep all 3 nights then yeah, but taken at face value... this normal in the civilian world?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

xaarman posted:

Didn't we have some discussion before where I was shocked about these statements.

A 3 hour delay is a "I'm too fatigued to fly" call? I mean if it was the 4th day and the 3rd leg and crap sleep all 3 nights then yeah, but taken at face value... this normal in the civilian world?

Fatigue generally doesn't carry the risk of killing a couple hundred people in the normal civilian world either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Fatigue generally doesn't carry the risk of killing a couple hundred people in the normal civilian world either.

"What do you mean you're too fatigued to fly? Pussy! Fly anyway!"

* accident occurs *

"Obviously the pilot didn't have enough experience. Pilots should all have a million billion hours before flying with any passengers!"

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

So I'm asking for a friend here not me, thank gently caress. He has a significant amount of hours training done and is well over halfway through his atpls. But he's young and dumb and got caught driving drunk, he's months away from a court date but I'd imagine he's going to get a conviction out of this.
My question is how hosed is he regarding an airline career? I'm not going to defend the drink driving but he's a good kid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

So I'm asking for a friend here not me, thank gently caress. He has a significant amount of hours training done and is well over halfway through his atpls. But he's young and dumb and got caught driving drunk, he's months away from a court date but I'd imagine he's going to get a conviction out of this.
My question is how hosed is he regarding an airline career? I'm not going to defend the drink driving but he's a good kid.

Depends, how does he feel about poverty and Great Lakes?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

I can only speak for what I've heard in Canada, but: pretty hosed. Say goodbye to international flights even if someone's willing to ignore it and hire him, because a DUI conviction will make you inadmissible to a lot of countries.

He should spend all of his money on a really, really good lawyer and do whatever it takes to plead down to a traffic violation rather than a criminal offence (it can be done, I know a guy who's been caught around 6 times and pretty much spends his way out of it every time, in both the US and Canada).

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

When I was younger (and more stupid than I am now), I got a DUI.

At the time, I was in school to be a physical therapist. When I went to court, I explained to the judge that a DUI would severely impact the years of schooling and could greatly affect my chances of employment after college. He had some degree of sympathy, and ordered me to pay $2,000 fine for running essentially a stop sign (I didn't come to a complete 2 second stop) and I had to do 100 hours of community service work. Granted, my BAC was .09 (legal limit is .08), I had been in no trouble previous to that, so that may have factored into his decision. There was also extenuating circumstances involved that caused my court date to be delayed for almost 2 years (I lived 300 miles away, the original judge had a stroke (small one judge town), my lawyer got throat cancer).

Get a lawyer, plead the case as best as possible and hope for the best.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

We're in Europe, if that makes any difference. That's basically been my advice to him so far, lawyer up and try to minimise the damage as much as possible. It would be the first time he's been in trouble but I think he was a nice bit over the limit.
If he eats the conviction and gets an interview down the road how is this going to be found out by the airlines, will they ask him to disclose it on an application? I'm disregarding the police vetting process for ramp security clearance here.

In other news I'm preparing to do a mock flight test for my cpl in the next few weeks. In a matter of a couple of months I'll be qualified to join the welfare queue with all the other pilots while I try to get hired. :smug:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Got an interview for PSA coming up in a couple weeks :dance: Also had one for Air Whisky, but they never called me back. Still waiting on Skywest, and I haven't even applied to Horizon yet...

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Butt Reactor posted:

Got an interview for PSA coming up in a couple weeks :dance: Also had one for Air Whisky, but they never called me back. Still waiting on Skywest, and I haven't even applied to Horizon yet...

Way to go!!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

The argument isn't that if fatigue is bad or not, it's that a 3 hour delay warrants a fatigue call, based on the information provided.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

Well,
Air Whisky is getting all Endeavor's CRJ200s and PSA is getting all over Envoy's CRJ700s.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Friend just got hired by Horizon Air!

Said 2/4 got the CJO, 1 sent home for being an rear end in a top hat (dropping f bombs in front of everyone, bragging about rocking the technical section) and the other apparently didn't have the sim go very well.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

xaarman posted:

Yeah usmc pilot here and obviously if it was a larger crew/maintenance/pax/weather issue here we'd call it but we work on a 12 hour crew day. The idea of calling it after 3 hours is pretty...different. Now I'll admit I may need a cup of coffee and a moment to recage my brain for flying after dealing with BS but when it comes down to it, there is no hard limit preventing you from flying.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

A single 3 hour delay is not worthy of fatigue. After 4x 10-12 hour days filled with this sort of thing is a different story.

For what it's worth, most of the former military pilots that I know who have transitioned into part 121 civilian operations say that fatigue is MUCH more prevalent on the civilian side. We average about 80 flight hours per month and hit the 100 hour monthly cap a few times a year which is apparently a lot more than the military guys.

Butt Reactor posted:

Got an interview for PSA coming up in a couple weeks :dance:

I've spent a good portion of the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how I wanted to respond to this. All I'll say is make drat sure you do your research before you show up for a class at PSA (Or any airline for that matter).

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

I've spent a good portion of the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how I wanted to respond to this. All I'll say is make drat sure you do your research before you show up for a class at PSA (Or any airline for that matter).

Well it's not Great Lakes :suicide:. What's your humble opinion? Any way I can talk to you in private so we both don't get in trouble?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Edited from :words: to: do your homework

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 6, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I can understand why the Peidmont vote went the way it did, since a sizable chunk of their fleet was going to time out in the near future (they'd already started parking airplanes), so the vote was basically a self-preservation move.

The PSA vote still makes no sense to me, since they were just another RJ operator at that point and were facing exactly the same issues as ExJet, Eagle, and Republic. At the time PSA voted, Eagle, Exjet and Republic had all rejected concessionary contracts, so it was pretty clear that regional pilots were finally gaining some leverage in negotiations, until PSA sold everyone else out.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 21, 2014

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

ALPA posted:

November 21st, 2014
Pilot Retention Program TA Reached

The MEC is excited to announce to all Endeavor Air pilots a new tentative agreement which for the first time meaningfully addresses our pilots’ economic concerns while taking an important step towards securing a more promising future for our airline. Over the past few weeks, the company and the MEC have worked to develop a range of concepts designed to address attrition, particularly FO attrition, which has recently risen to unsustainable levels. The retention provisions include cash bonuses and vacation buy-back. Along with the proposed letter of agreement, all sides are currently involved in and dedicated to completing the development of a Delta interview program for FOs. Additionally, the company will offer referral bonuses for employees who bring new pilots to Endeavor and longevity restoration for former company pilots returning to Endeavor.

The retention bonus program will run through the end of 2016, paying $15,000 each year to each eligible pilot ($30,000 total per pilot). The payments will occur on September 30, 2015 ($15,000), April 30, 2016 ($7,500), and December 31, 2016 ($7,500). Any pilot on the seniority list at the beginning and end of each period will be paid the full retention bonus for that period. Pilots who have months of inactivity, new hires, and pilots who leave mid-term for Delta will receive a pro-rated retention amount. This represents an investment from Delta of tens of millions of dollars in our pilot group. It would make total annual compensation of our first officers the highest among U.S. RJ operators while bringing total pay for our topped-out captains near the industry and Delta Connection averages. The company will additionally offer to buy back any pilot’s 2015 vacation, in one-week increments at 150% premium. This will provide pilots in financial crisis an opportunity for a short-term cash infusion.

Beyond the financial incentives, the MEC and company are actively developing a Delta interview program for first officers which will commence interviews shortly. Successful candidates would receive a CJO contingent on a finite term of service with the company prior to movement to Delta. The parties expect to finalize the program in the coming weeks. Other opportunities include a re-hiring program, which would allow former company pilots who return to Endeavor to receive restoration of previously-accrued longevity (but not seniority), and a pilot referral program which would confer a $2,000 bonus to any Endeavor Air employee who refers a new-hire pilot who is successful in training. While these programs alone will not solve our hiring shortfall, they offer a unique inducement to our former coworkers to rejoin our ranks while rewarding current employees’ recruitment efforts.

To further their hiring efforts, the company also intends to cancel the EtD hiring commitment. Our executives have stated that they need the ability to quickly offer employment to qualified pilots who express an interest in Endeavor Air and that this ability is hampered by the EtD selection process. While the prospect of additional hiring is encouraging, the loss of this unique program and the implications for our relationship with Delta will be understandably troubling for some pilots, as will the elimination of the supplemental Delta hiring commitment that ran concurrent with the EtD program. The MEC would point to the magnitude of Delta’s new monetary commitment as a positive sign and an indication of Delta’s renewed commitment to sustain this operation into the future.

Pilots have also undoubtedly heard by now of the agreements to send twelve of our former CRJ200s to SkyWest and send twenty-six to Air Wisconsin. Endeavor management has assured us that these arrangements will not result in loss of employment for any current pilots nor will they cause aircraft to be retired at a faster pace than planned. Simply, our inability to meet staffing targets this year has caused us to be unable to operate thirty-eight of the jets we were planned to operate for 2015. However, there are CRJ200s that remain in the 2015 plan as well as aircraft we have parked in the desert; we hope that this pilot retention program will be an important first step in positioning our airline to take advantage of those and future opportunities.

This tentative agreement offers considerable financial gains to all pilots who choose to remain with Endeavor Air for the retention program duration. For pilots who wish to act as informal recruiters or sell their vacations for premium, the upside is even more substantial. Lastly, in recognition of our pilots’ desire for career progression and in response to first officers’ desire for a job opportunity with Delta, we commit to finalize the interview program. While this deal does not accomplish all of our pilots’ strategic goals, it raises the bar in many areas that the MEC believes will be desirable and beneficial to our pilots. We appreciate the collaborative process that has led to this arrangement, and we recognize that this deal would be impossible without Delta’s continued support. The MEC will vote on the tentative agreement Monday evening. In the meantime, please express your sentiments regarding these provisions and the coming decision to your local status representatives.

Hot off the presses.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

I have heard rumors that American and U.S. Airways Captain review boards have copies of that list and are under instructions to not hire any one on it.*
Wishful thinking I'm sure. AA is still taking PSA pilots in thier bridge program to the tune of 90%.

quote:

Many airline pilots at both the regionals and the majors have little to no respect for PSA pilots. Being associated with PSA at this point may have negative career implications later down the road.
Most major pilots (that weren't regional pilots) have no idea about any of the regionals or what their pay/QoL/etc is like. I've had plenty of them look down their nose at me in the terminal then show up at the gate asking for my jumpseat. You should see the look on their faces when I show them my annual pay (I carry last year's W2).

Everyone said this same stuff about the GoJets pilots as well and they've had no problem finding employment. I REALLY wish it was true because it would slow/stop this kind of thing but it just doesn't hold water. As the majors need more pilots, they are going to hire anyone with a pulse.

Edit: That being said, MANY pilots are filling PSA's halls right now for the chance at upgrade (just like GoJets).

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 21, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Which brings us to PSA and Piedmont. Both were presented with concessionary contracts and both voted yes. In exchange for some shiny new airplanes and a weak flow though agreement PSA and Piedmont have effectively negated any leverage the regional airline pilots held. We waited 20+ years for this kind of an advantage and PSA sold us all out. Cheaply. To say that there is a lack of respect for PSA pilots amongst other regional pilots would be a colossal understatement. In the past few months I have heard PSA pilots called sellouts, SCABs and much much worse. I have personally seen a black list containing the names and hire date of every pilot currently at PSA. I have heard rumors that American and U.S. Airways Captain review boards have copies of that list and are under instructions to not hire any one on it.*

So PSA and Piedmont pilots approved contracts which include flowthroughs which AA and US may not adhere to in the end because the review boards are pissed off at the pilots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

excellent post :golfclap:

You're right, I knew some of that already, but I didn't know the exact details of scope clause and the other nastiness. The main reason I'm going is to get experience and practice for other interviews, I just haven't had any firm interview offers from anyone else yet.

• Locked thread