Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress Ohio State?
Yes
Yeah
Yep
Mmmhm
View Results

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lasagna Pilot posted:

When is the Big Ten switching to 9?

The obvious overall point though is just compare individual teams schedules to each other and factor in the 8 + cupcake as a factor that makes the schedule easier.

2016 and Thoguh is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Rooting for duke so hard. gently caress playing gt to hell.

Not because they're difficult, but because all they do is cut block and it hurts people.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Lasagna Pilot posted:

The obvious overall point though is just compare individual teams schedules to each other and factor in the 8 + cupcake as a factor that makes the schedule easier.

Nebraska's season:

Florida Atlantic University (3-7)
McNeese State (6-4)
Fresno State (4-6)
University of Miami (6-4)
University of Illinois (4-6)
Sparty (8-2)
Northwestern (4-6)
Rutgers (6-4)
Purdue (3-7)
Wisconsin (8-2)

Average opponents' wins: 5.2
Number of FCS opponents: 1 (McNeese State)

Arkansas' season:

Auburn (7-3)
Nicholls State (0-11) (lol)
Texas Tech (3-7)
NIU (9-2)
Aggie (7-4)
Bama (9-1)
UGA (8-2)
UAB (5-5)
MSU (9-1)
LSU (7-4)

Average opponents' wins: 6.4
Number of FCS opponents: 1 (Nicholls State)

???

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

pillsburysoldier posted:

Rooting for duke so hard. gently caress playing gt to hell.

Not because they're difficult, but because all they do is cut block and it hurts people.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lasagna Pilot posted:

2016?

I mean, for sure that's true about comparing individual teams' schedules (especially with these super conferences allowing for a lot of variance in SoS within a conference), but if you shuffle 7 more losses into the SEC, LSU's schedule wouldn't necessarily look like such a meat grinder.

It's hard to picture when you compare Big 10 to SEC, but the Pac 12 might be getting hurt by it this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Emron posted:

Nebraska's season:
Arkansas' season:

Arkansas doesn't get to play themselves though?

(oh christ they're going to dominate my team)

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Why is everyone mad that teams are playing cupcakes now? Everyone schedules cupcakes anyway so why should it matter who does it when? As long as everyone keeps it to one cupcake per season it should be fine.

The way the SEC is set up, if they wanted 9 conference games per they would need one more cross division game or to add two more teams. Since they already hinted that if they were to add teams it would be from non-represented states that doesn't really give a lot of decent teams to choose.

Also most big 10 teams should count as a cupcake

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spintzel posted:

Why is everyone mad that teams are playing cupcakes now? Everyone schedules cupcakes anyway so why should it matter who does it when? As long as everyone keeps it to one cupcake per season it should be fine.

Mississippi State has four. I don't get why Baylor gets poo poo for their schedule but Miss St doesn't.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I think we're gonna get delayed again lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spintzel posted:

The way the SEC is set up, if they wanted 9 conference games per they would need one more cross division game or to add two more teams. Since they already hinted that if they were to add teams it would be from non-represented states that doesn't really give a lot of decent teams to choose.

Well, the issue is twofold: one, these teams aren't just playing one cupcake. Teams like Alabama and Georgia are playing two or three. Two, they're all playing a cupcake the same weekend. This week's CFB lineup is pretty pathetic because the big teams want what is practically a bye week before rivalry week.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

Spintzel posted:

Excuse you. Northwestern, a fairly weak big 10 team has beaten the same amount of ranked teams as FSU and more currently ranked teams. :colbert:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pakled posted:

Well, the issue is twofold: one, these teams aren't just playing one cupcake. Teams like Alabama and Georgia are playing two or three. Two, they're all playing a cupcake the same weekend. This week's CFB lineup is pretty pathetic because the big teams want what is practically a bye week before rivalry week.

Also, starting the season with a cupcake can be almost justified as an exhibition game to get the kinks worked out as an extended practice.

By now all teams should be running at maximum efficiency, so there's not really a justification for playing a cupcake this late.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Also, starting the season with a cupcake can be almost justified as an exhibition game to get the kinks worked out as an extended practice.

By now all teams should be running at maximum efficiency, so there's not really a justification for playing a cupcake this late.

That's almost a worse reason to schedule a cupcake. You're setting up 2 rationale here: fear of losing to a good team, or taking a break before the end of the season/a rivalry game. Both are lame if you just object to cupcake games in general, but "if we're going to schedule one, let's make it early so we won't lose right off the bat" isn't a very good defense!

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Thoguh posted:

Mississippi State has four. I don't get why Baylor gets poo poo for their schedule but Miss St doesn't.

I had no idea they had such an easy schedule! Wowwwwwww. No wonder they weren't ranked before LSU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Emron posted:

That's almost a worse reason to schedule a cupcake. You're setting up 2 rationale here: fear of losing to a good team, or taking a break before the end of the season/a rivalry game. Both are lame if you just object to cupcake games in general, but "if we're going to schedule one, let's make it early so we won't lose right off the bat" isn't a very good defense!

I never claimed 'not losing right off the bat' was the reason. The whole point of scheduling a cupcake is 'not losing' so that much is irrelevant.

A cupcake could have a use besides being an easy win if it's at the start of the season, as it can give some extended live practice to work out the details that fall camp didn't quite address. There is no point whatever to having one late in the season other than just record-padding.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Spintzel posted:

I had no idea they had such an easy schedule! Wowwwwwww. No wonder they weren't ranked before LSU
Yeah as I mentioned before Mississippi State (like a number of normally low-rung programs) schedules to make 6-6, and it's making evaluating them properly a little weird when they played literally no one worth mentioning OOC.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
this sucks, this is miserable

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

I never claimed 'not losing right off the bat' was the reason. The whole point of scheduling a cupcake is 'not losing' so that much is irrelevant.

A cupcake could have a use besides being an easy win if it's at the start of the season, as it can give some extended live practice to work out the details that fall camp didn't quite address. There is no point whatever to having one late in the season other than just record-padding.

Or, by your own wording, an extended live practice before a big rivalry game.

Also, I don't see how an easy win is ever NOT "record padding," regardless of where it falls in the season. A cupcake is a cupcake, dude. I'm saying this as a fan of a school that's playing 2 this year. The reason is really always the same: because you want an easy win. I'm arguing with you because pretty much any justification of it for anything other than "easy win" is kind of dumb.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Gonna take this opportunity to go into a thread from about a month ago when you got real mad that I said you'd end up with 4 or 5 losses and end the season unranked.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Uh, just which three teams do you think are going beat us there, bub?

Hey, Hey Guys! My Team Is Really Bad At Football. I am going to have bad opinions about football teams I can't admit might be okay at football. Are you still on this weird kick where you think your lovely football team is going to beat us because ~reasons~.

Iowa State fan notoriously full of poo poo, why I never.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"They're going to be a five loss team (cause they're gonna lose to my mighty cyclones), so they don't deserve to be ranked higher based on their current record." ~ Thoguh.

Also, lol, if you don't think we'd be favored if we rolled into a Thursday night homegame 8-2 after having beaten a Top 5 and presumably a Top 10 team and having ran the table with two roadgames with losses to a Bama in a neutral site and OU. Yeah boi.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'm just gonna assume you're talking about cupcake chat.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

To be fair, I don't think any of us thought that Texas was going to dunk on WVU like that.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Spintzel posted:

Why is everyone mad that teams are playing cupcakes now? Everyone schedules cupcakes anyway
UCLA :colbert:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
game cancelled

3 nights in a hotel

like 10 hours on a bus

no game

lm b o

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

kittenmittons posted:

I'm just gonna assume you're talking about cupcake chat.

Kittenmittons you are really cool. All of your posting tonight has made me happy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

This thread talks about the SEC more than ESPN, and it's not even the SEC posters doing it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

game cancelled

3 nights in a hotel

like 10 hours on a bus

no game

lm b o

Hey, not everybody gets to spend three days in Buffalo. Count yourself lucky.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Detroit_Dogg posted:

game cancelled

3 nights in a hotel

like 10 hours on a bus

no game

lm b o

lo ciento, goon

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

PostNouveau posted:

2016?

I mean, for sure that's true about comparing individual teams' schedules (especially with these super conferences allowing for a lot of variance in SoS within a conference), but if you shuffle 7 more losses into the SEC, LSU's schedule wouldn't necessarily look like such a meat grinder.

It's hard to picture when you compare Big 10 to SEC, but the Pac 12 might be getting hurt by it this year.

The committee can fix this but they have to give teams with multiple losses more credit and stop ranking teams just for W/L record.

Like LSU has a "bad" loss to Arkansas, and then losses to ranked teams that are all better than Missouri, so why is Missouri ranked above LSU when Missouri's bad loss is to a worse team than Arkansas and when Missouri doesn't have any wins as good as Wisconsin or Ole Miss.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Detroit_Dogg posted:

game cancelled

3 nights in a hotel

like 10 hours on a bus

no game

lm b o

Still a better deal than sending Lowtax ten dollars

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
i wonder how much we just spent on these buses and hotel rooms and food and holy poo poo what a loving joke ahahahahhahahahahhahahaha

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Detroit_Dogg posted:

i wonder how much we just spent on these buses and hotel rooms and food and holy poo poo what a loving joke ahahahahhahahahahhahahaha

drink the pain away

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lasagna Pilot posted:

The committee can fix this but they have to give teams with multiple losses more credit and stop ranking teams just for W/L record.

Like LSU has a "bad" loss to Arkansas, and then losses to ranked teams that are all better than Missouri, so why is Missouri ranked above LSU when Missouri's bad loss is to a worse team than Arkansas and when Missouri doesn't have any wins as good as Wisconsin or Ole Miss.

I mean, in this case, having another SEC conference game would solve the problem. Throw out one of Mizzou's cupcake wins like South Dakota St. and make them play an additional SEC game. The possible opponents for that game are:

Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi St.
Ole Miss.

So now you're looking at a Mizzou team that has 3 losses, no good wins, a loss to Indiana, and in all likelihood a total butt-loving from one of those teams.

Thoguh posted:

Gonna take this opportunity to go into a thread from about a month ago when you got real mad that I said you'd end up with 4 or 5 losses and end the season unranked.

Since we're doing some petty score settling, after W.Va. hung around with Bama in Week 1 and ESPN was like "WVU is clearly now the front-runner in the Big 12," I said WVU wasn't even gonna sniff the Big 12 championship and Andichu called me a dumbass for it. :colbert:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Since we're doing some petty score settling, after W.Va. hung around with Bama in Week 1 and ESPN was like "WVU is clearly now the front-runner in the Big 12," I said WVU wasn't even gonna sniff the Big 12 championship and Andichu called me a dumbass for it. :colbert:

I think I did too, WVU has baffled me this year, man.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
gently caress Akron tho

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

NippleFloss posted:

This thread talks about the SEC more than ESPN, and it's not even the SEC posters doing it.

Let's talk some more about the SEC. Take a guess the only teams in the top 10 that don't have two or more wins against currently ranked opponents?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Since we're doing some petty score settling

Its all I have left.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
the wvu-isu rivalry is the best

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

"hanging with bama" is a nebulous concept this year.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

pillsburysoldier posted:

Reminder: Emron's avatar is a thing that exists because Bama always plays deceptively lethargic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

pillsburysoldier posted:

"hanging with bama" has traditionally turned out very poorly for minorities

• Locked thread