Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

StashAugustine posted:

Just happened to see the (lovely) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, are the comics any good?

First two I think are great, after that it starts to get into the more obscure / esoteric stuff. Black Dossier was hit and miss and ultimately lost me, so I never really read Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah, vol 1 and 2 are top tier, enjoyment of the rest depends heavily on how much you know about obscure golden age UK comic strips

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

League is one comic I say is so much better with annotations. Read the first volume, and then go back and read it again with annotations and it makes the experience so much better. So much care is put into those comics, so many obscure references that are really interesting to read. Totally give it a shot, although they do get more obscure as time goes on. The last Nemo comic was entirely built around references to German cinema of the 1920's and 30's.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

Just happened to see the (lovely) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, are the comics any good?
Hell yeah they are. Vols I and II are the easiest to enjoy without having to dive into annotations (which is actually pretty fun to do for this series). Black Dossier is Moore having his way with all types of literary tropes, and there is some amazing material contained within, and stuff you will only want to read once. The three parts of Century (Vol. III) were overall pretty solid, even if the ending didn't quite hit like it maybe should have. Moore's re-lyric'd version of Sympathy for the Devil from the 1969 issue was a personal highlight. The new standalone hardcover Nemo adventures (Heart of Ice/Roses of Berlin/one more still to come called Rivers of Ghosts) have been very fun, and Heart of Ice is up there with Vol. 1 in pure pulp adventuring.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 9, 2014

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Are there any must read underground comics from the 60s and 70s? I've picked up random (I'm assuming lesser) works by Crumb, whose art was great, but the writing didn't wow me.

That whole period is just sort of a blind spot in my reading knowledge (along with tons of world comics) so I wondered if there was good stuff there I've been missing out on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steve Gerber's Man-thing maybe qualifies, despite being put out by Marvel.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Are there any good teen titan comics?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Vorik posted:

Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vorik posted:

The Marv Wolfman New Teen Titans from the 80's is a classic. I think people liked Geoff Johns' run. I've been liking the recently relaunched series from Will Pfeifer.
The Earth One Teen Titans graphic novel from Jeff Lemire is out soon. That should be good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vorik posted:

DC hasn't done a great job of collecting the Titans outside John's run from the 2000s. The Johns one is pretty divisive because a) it's one of the main sites for his adventures in continuity and b) it gets a bit violent (though maybe not to the same extent as his run on Green Lantern got a bit violent). I went into it with no knowledge of the comics Teen Titans, though I was mad keen on the cartoon. I've not read it since it was coming out, though, so I'm not sure how well it holds up.

Something I have read more recently which I'd recommend giving a go is the original New Warriors by Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley, because it's very much in the same vein as the "classic" (i.e. Marv Wolfman/George Pérez) Titans.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vorik posted:

Tiny Titans

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
On the Black Panther tip, Don McGregor on the original Jungle Action series is actually really great. I don't know that it makes me excited for a Black Panther movie, because I don't think the Wakanda stuff works at all in a contemporary movie, especially the tribal imagery? I don't actually like comics movies that much, though. They're good comics.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are there any must read underground comics from the 60s and 70s? I've picked up random (I'm assuming lesser) works by Crumb, whose art was great, but the writing didn't wow me.

That whole period is just sort of a blind spot in my reading knowledge (along with tons of world comics) so I wondered if there was good stuff there I've been missing out on.

I don't know how underground you mean so I'll go with Creepy, Eerie, etc if you want a sort of continuation of EC comics. At the end of the 70s Heavy Metal would be an obvious choice. I think Cerebus started around then, too?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I can't remember if I asked this or not, but I'm enjoying Arrow - what are some of the best arcs or books for the character?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Green Arrow 17-34 by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino is the one run you want.

It's close in tone to the series and also introduces characters like Diggle over to the DC Universe proper and is is partly focused around Ollie's time on ~the island~. The show has also original characters from the book appear and the Meryln/Thea stuff mirrors a lot of what is done with Komodo and Emico in the book.

It's also a really good run.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Thanks!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Zachack posted:

I don't know how underground you mean so I'll go with Creepy, Eerie, etc if you want a sort of continuation of EC comics. At the end of the 70s Heavy Metal would be an obvious choice. I think Cerebus started around then, too?

Maybe I have my terminology wrong. I was thinking of stuff more like The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Robert Crumb's Zap. Are these "Hippie" comics, not underground? Everything I've read has these guys being inspired by Kurtzman and chiefly Mad magazine, and they always get a chapter in any comic history books with an anecdote about Robert Crumb selling Zap from a baby carriage in San Francisco, but I just find I haven't really read any of that stuff.

I picked up a book called Where Demented Wented which is this guy Rory Hayes's work, who is supposed to have been in the underground comics 'movement', but I don't find his work very interesting at all. Maybe my idea of this whole underground thing producing super important and interesting work just isn't borne out by reality?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

Green Arrow 17-34 by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino is the one run you want.

It's close in tone to the series and also introduces characters like Diggle over to the DC Universe proper and is is partly focused around Ollie's time on ~the island~. The show has also original characters from the book appear and the Meryln/Thea stuff mirrors a lot of what is done with Komodo and Emico in the book.

It's also a really good run.

I just want to point out you would also want to read the Green Arrow Future's End issue. Its a good capstone on the run.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Maybe I have my terminology wrong. I was thinking of stuff more like The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Robert Crumb's Zap. Are these "Hippie" comics, not underground? Everything I've read has these guys being inspired by Kurtzman and chiefly Mad magazine, and they always get a chapter in any comic history books with an anecdote about Robert Crumb selling Zap from a baby carriage in San Francisco, but I just find I haven't really read any of that stuff.

I picked up a book called Where Demented Wented which is this guy Rory Hayes's work, who is supposed to have been in the underground comics 'movement', but I don't find his work very interesting at all. Maybe my idea of this whole underground thing producing super important and interesting work just isn't borne out by reality?
Gotcha. While I haven't read this (I only have the 80s one) try:

http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Mini-Comics-Michael-Dowers/dp/1606996576/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416173327&sr=8-1&keywords=fantagraphics+mini

I've read like 10 pages of the following (one of these days it'll make it into the bathroom) and it also seems like what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Newave-Underground-Mini-Comix-1980s/dp/1606993135/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GEYVMS290NK1QM59RKY

HarveyxCosmonaut
Jan 27, 2009
Can anybody recommend any of the Ghostbusters comic series? I've really enjoyed a lot of the paranormal/science stuff from Hellboy, B.P.R.D., and Atomic Robo that has a sense of humor and doesn't take itself too seriously. There seems to be mixed opinions elsewhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HarveyxCosmonaut posted:

Can anybody recommend any of the Ghostbusters comic series? I've really enjoyed a lot of the paranormal/science stuff from Hellboy, B.P.R.D., and Atomic Robo that has a sense of humor and doesn't take itself too seriously. There seems to be mixed opinions elsewhere.

I dunno, they put Rhyno on a variant cover, so it can't be that great.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What's the reasoning for the dislike of Kevin Smith's Daredevil again. Had an urge to read it and need to be talked off the ledge.

e: starting a reread of the character

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 21, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

hadji murad posted:

What's the reasoning for the dislike of Kevin Smith's Daredevil again. Had an urge to read it and need to be talked off the ledge.

The main conflict is Mysterio convincing a character they have aids and trying to get Matt to kill a baby. It's also just badly written with it being a Loeb-esque "greatest hits" run where the villains motivation is Ben Reilly is around so they can't torment the "real Spider-Man".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The main conflict is Mysterio convincing a character they have aids and trying to get Matt to kill a baby. It's also just badly written with it being a Loeb-esque "greatest hits" run where the villains motivation is Ben Reilly is around so they can't torment the "real Spider-Man".

Yeah, it's real clumsy and poorly considered; Smith is clearly trying to recapture some of that Miller style and prose but fumbles it all, and it just comes off as total grimdark 90s nonsense with a ton of extraneous narration. Everything involving Karen Page in that book is just the worst.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Are there any good Kevin Smith runs? Evidently his Daredevil stint sucked, and I read his Cacophany story on Batman and...jeesh, that was dire.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Phylodox posted:

Are there any good Kevin Smith runs? Evidently his Daredevil stint sucked, and I read his Cacophany story on Batman and...jeesh, that was dire.

Not really though people like his Green Arrow.

Now though you have to read the follow up series to Cacophany, Batman: The Widening Gyre, where Smith retcons it so that Batman pisses himself during his "dramatic reveal" to the corrupt officials of Gotham in Batman: Year One and don't you dare make fun of it cos Smith knows real Firemen who have had that happen to them so it's a real thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phylodox posted:

If you liked Clerks, his Clerks comics were good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Its really remember that great spider-man/Daredevil story? Here it is again!

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Metal Loaf posted:

Something I have read more recently which I'd recommend giving a go is the original New Warriors by Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley, because it's very much in the same vein as the "classic" (i.e. Marv Wolfman/George Pérez) Titans.

Thank you. I went and bought the New Warriors Classic vol 1 over at comixology and enjoyed it. Really sucks that they only have a volume worth of material out in digital right now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Vorik posted:

Thank you. I went and bought the New Warriors Classic vol 1 over at comixology and enjoyed it. Really sucks that they only have a volume worth of material out in digital right now.

The New Warriors comics that is ending this month is also really really good. Its fun and has two of the best new characters of the year.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm looking for some recommendations but I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for. I'd like to read a series that is similar to something like a Hong Kong action flick or Sleeping Dogs the video game, if that makes any sense. I just read the 4 issue Deadly Hands of Kung Fu from earlier this year and really liked it - wish it had been much longer. That or the old school Wolverine in Japan books would be good examples of what I'm looking for.

Does anything like this even exist?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dunbar posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations but I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for. I'd like to read a series that is similar to something like a Hong Kong action flick or Sleeping Dogs the video game, if that makes any sense. I just read the 4 issue Deadly Hands of Kung Fu from earlier this year and really liked it - wish it had been much longer. That or the old school Wolverine in Japan books would be good examples of what I'm looking for.

Iron Fist by Fraction.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Dunbar posted:

John Woo's Seven Brothers by Garth Ennis.

As for stuff similar to Claremont's Wolverine mini-series, Elektra: Assassin and Ronin by Frank Miller.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dunbar posted:

I can't remember the issues, but there's an arc in Bendis's Daredevil where he's fighting the Yakuza in New York. And that issue of Planetary with the ghost cop in Hong Kong, I'm on a tablet so looking it up is hard, but I'm sure someone else can pinpoint it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I can't remember the issues, but there's an arc in Bendis's Daredevil where he's fighting the Yakuza in New York. And that issue of Planetary with the ghost cop in Hong Kong, I'm on a tablet so looking it up is hard, but I'm sure someone else can pinpoint it.

Daredevil 56-60

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Also the current Iron Fist series by Karre would probably be up your alley.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm expecting one or two of our local comic shops to have some Black Friday and Small Business Saturday sales, so I'm hoping to pick up some of the last back issues I've been needing for a binding project, and hopefully the last Fatale TPB. But if I can only pick one of these, should I go with Charles Soule's She-Hulk Vol. 1 TPB or Warren Ellis' Moon Knight TPB?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't love Moon Knight as much as most do, so I'd go with my favorite current Marvel book, She-Hulk.
Folks do love Ellis' Moon Knight though, and it is a complete run.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I haven't really read Spider-Man since Erik Larsen was drawing Amazing, but the concept of "Agent Venom" seems really interesting to me. Where should I pick up if I want to see how that character was created, what he's been up to, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I haven't really read Spider-Man since Erik Larsen was drawing Amazing, but the concept of "Agent Venom" seems really interesting to me. Where should I pick up if I want to see how that character was created, what he's been up to, etc?

I think all you need is the Venom series by Rick Remender.