Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

limeincoke posted:

just finished season 1. Holy poo poo Oliver is a mass murderer. He'll just straight up murder dozens of people whose only crime is being a bodyguard for the "bad guys." and noone says anything about this. It's a real disconnect when he then has moral dilemmas over killing 1 single person.

When Oliver came back from the island he was completely hosed in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

limeincoke posted:

just finished season 1. Holy poo poo Oliver is a mass murderer. He'll just straight up murder dozens of people whose only crime is being a bodyguard for the "bad guys." and noone says anything about this. It's a real disconnect when he then has moral dilemmas over killing 1 single person.

A lot of people cite this as an issue with the show, but I see it as more of an interesting facet of the character (and one that they acknowledge, so it is purposeful). You can easily have debates and discussions over the morality of this- is it for the greater good? Is the killing of a few bad guy lackies justifiable if it means saving innocent lives?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Captain Mog posted:

A lot of people cite this as an issue with the show, but I see it as more of an interesting facet of the character (and one that they acknowledge, so it is purposeful). You can easily have debates and discussions over the morality of this- is it for the greater good? Is the killing of a few bad guy lackies justifiable if it means saving innocent lives?

One of my best friends, who introduced me to the show, apparently missed all of this, because when I confronted him with the data, he said "well then, Oliver is completely unredeemable because he's a murderer."

Some people are only capable of seeing the world in black and white, good and evil. They can't conceive of shades of grey, doing bad things for good reasons and a person who has done bad things trying to change for the better.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Captain Mog posted:

That's not the issue. The issue is that said interesting facet has fallen into the memory hole of the writers and everyone. The show is pretending really, really hard that Oliver never killed anyone. Now you have the police captain saying "The police are working alongside a mass murderering vigilante," and Oliver going all holier-than-thou about Laurel hanging out with a vigilante who killed one guy and hung up his hood, and Oliver's body count is never brought up at all, even though it really should have been.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Captain Mog posted:

A few? Well more like hundreds. And no - it's not. Killing hundreds of people who, for all we know, are just independent contractors working a security mission and aren't bad guys at all, is not worth possibly saving lives. Especially when, like a poster before said, he gets to the big bad guy and decides to let him live. Also especially when news networks don't lead off with "Vigilante murders 25 people in downtown warehouse."

That said, that's the only problem I have with the show. It's a entertaining show so it's all good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He never should have stopped killing people. :colbert:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He never should have stopped killing people. :colbert:

Ollie lied, Tommy died. Merlyn was right.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

limeincoke posted:

A few? Well more like hundreds. And no - it's not. Killing hundreds of people who, for all we know, are just independent contractors working a security mission and aren't bad guys at all, is not worth possibly saving lives. Especially when, like a poster before said, he gets to the big bad guy and decides to let him live. Also especially when news networks don't lead off with "Vigilante murders 25 people in downtown warehouse."

That said, that's the only problem I have with the show. It's a entertaining show so it's all good.

But do we know they're "independent security contractors"? Maybe they're just as corrupt as the people they're serving. I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as you're making it out to be. I'm not saying, of course, that this justifies slaughtering them all and leaving the upper class guy alive, just that I'm not sure we as viewers are meant to think those people defending Bad Guy One-Percenter are perfectly innocent.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I won't link it, but the synopsis for episode 9 just hit the web, and it seems that the main story is going to pick up again, heading back in the direction of Sara's death and the LoA stuff.

Maybe these first few episodes were just filler for the crossover and then they were going to pick up the pace after it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Wasn't Ollie's bodycount in S1 some number in the 20s? I seem to recall them mentioning 26 at some point. Throughout a healthy chunk of the season (I'd say most, honestly) he mostly shot dudes in the shoulder.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Wasn't Ollie's bodycount in S1 some number in the 20s? I seem to recall them mentioning 26 at some point. Throughout a healthy chunk of the season (I'd say most, honestly) he mostly shot dudes in the shoulder.

Yes, it was said he killed 26 people late in the season. So it's not 'hundreds', maybe the very low dozens at most.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
At least a few of those were self defense.

How many people did he murder by Florida law?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

At least a few of those were self defense.

How many people did he murder by Florida law?

I don't recall him killing any black bodyguards.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This show is very much obsessed with its own history; its own of my favorite things about the creative team.

So I have to assume that someone is going to throw Oliver's murdering back in his face. But it hasn't happened yet, and I'm wondering if it ever will.

A perfect time would've been Oliver comforting Roy a few episodes ago.

Oliver: It wasn't you. It was the mirakuru.
Roy: But it was me. My anger. My hands.
Oliver: And my hands killed a lot of people when I got back from the island. No serum. And I'll carry that with me for a long time.
*Oliver puts a hand on Roy's shoulder
Oliver: Roy, there's redemption for all of us.

*End Scene*

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Narcissus1916 posted:

Oliver: It wasn't you. It was the mirakuru.
Roy: But it was me. My anger. My hands.
Oliver: And my hands killed a lot of people when I got back from the island. No serum. And I'll carry that with me for a long time.
*Oliver puts a hand on Roy's shoulder
Oliver: Roy, there's redemption for all of us.

*End Scene*

"If you believe hard enough, Roy, and you really REALLY mean it, God will forgive you. He totally forgave me."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They're waiting to cover all of this until season 4 when they introduce The Spectre.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's still so weird to see this Thea plotline when she voiced Artemis in Young Justice.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I actually wrote a half-finished Arrow spec script after the first season was over, and it was a pretty kickass writing exercise. The show is so wonderfully structured and gives plenty of opportunity for banter, but you also HAVE to have those "I'm explaining things i've already explained to you" bad writing dialogue bits that are also part of the show.

Also, nice shoutout to Young Justice. I never got around to the second season, though I heard great things.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

ufarn posted:

It's still so weird to see this Thea plotline when she voiced Artemis in Young Justice.

Wait, really? That's kind of rad. Maybe we'll get more YJ actors on the show in the future just like we're getting a Spartacus round-up :haw:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Narcissus1916 posted:

I actually wrote a half-finished Arrow spec script after the first season was over, and it was a pretty kickass writing exercise. The show is so wonderfully structured and gives plenty of opportunity for banter, but you also HAVE to have those "I'm explaining things i've already explained to you" bad writing dialogue bits that are also part of the show.

Also, nice shoutout to Young Justice. I never got around to the second season, though I heard great things.

Post the script.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

The Episode Where Katana Showed Up and Nobody Cared (Except Me)

Not true - I'm loving the Japan/Katana stuff.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Good to see Roy being addressed as Arsenal, but he's getting sidelined over everything else. Even the fern got more screen time this episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

No she didn't

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

spookygonk posted:

Good to see Roy being addressed as Arsenal, but he's getting sidelined over everything else. Even the fern got more screen time this episode.

I will say, Arrow is not handling it's roster glut poorly compared to last season.

Also, I want more Dig kicking rear end.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ollie is totally gonna gently caress that guy's wife, right?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

spookygonk posted:

The only mistake they made with Roy in this episode was not showing him doing some more flips. :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
DJ and Roy should duel over Thea. DJ keeps pressing buttons to play cliche popular dance songs, causing Roy to stumble, but Roy keeps doing sweet rear end flips and the DJ is all like "Whoa!"

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
cross fading skills of the DJ vs Roy's silly parkour

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well he certainly won't be mixing, he's a house DJ

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

greatn posted:

My wife said Ollie it totally going to gently caress Katana, she also felt back that Felicity just can't get laid.

Also after reading the AV Club article about that was pretty much about Felicity, I realized that she has caught CWistis and is now kind of in a love quadrangle.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

He is Ollie, so yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Not true - I'm loving the Japan/Katana stuff.

It's China.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rhyno posted:

It's China.

Hong Kong! :eng101:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nutranurse posted:

Hong Kong! :eng101:

Uh-huh, and what country is Hong Kong in?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Uh-huh, and what country is Hong Kong in?

Hong Kong is historically its own administrative region/virtually independent. Calling it another part of China would be... well, wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nutranurse posted:

Hong Kong is historically its own administrative region/virtually independent. Calling it another part of China would be... well, wrong.

What language do they speak there? What nationality of people live there?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

What language do they speak there? What nationality of people live there?

English.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hong Kong is not "virtually independent", as evinced by the political controversy you might have seen on the news recently; it would be accurate to say that it is a part of China. It may have special laws until 2046 but they only go so far

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hong Kong is not "virtually independent", as evinced by the political controversy you might have seen on the news recently; it would be accurate to say that it is a part of China. It may have special laws until 2046 but they only go so far

nutranurse posted:

Part of the reason Hong Kong's gripped by protests is because, historically, they enjoyed a fuckton of freedoms that mainland Chinese polities didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay that episode was great. Bit of a filler one, but this show does filler pretty well. Plus it always chucks in a few extra hooks. I like that boomerang guy.

And I guess watching this episode right after the 4th of Flash threw me off a bit. Barry needs to get his salmon ladder on. I really need some kind of timeline guide thing or I will be so confused. Especially when the full-on crossover episodes start happening.

Also Ray is really growing on me. He came off a total jerk his first few scenes but he seems to be a genuinely good guy. If he turns out to be a baddy I will be cross with him.

• Locked thread