Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Wondering if they're setting up Shimotsuki to be brainwashed just like eye patch inspector (Shisui?). Her unstable behavior and overly-emotional investment in how Akane treats enforcers coupled with her starting to wish ill on others (hoping Akane's hue gets clouded) seems like the recipe for her to be concerned (to a dangerously crazy and obsessive level) about the clarity of her own hue which seems to be the factor Kamui preys upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dessel posted:

The inspector being brainwashed in such a blatant way is a bit too much for me.

We still don't have a idea exactly what Togane is planning and even if he's connected to Kamui's goal at all. He could just be interested in running his own crazy plan at the same time involving Akane because it's convenient

OnimaruXLR posted:

Also, I think there's something delightfully Japanese about the notion of realistic depictions of gore and death making people stop playing a shooting game instead of play it like 3x as hard.

Then again most average people (unless they grew up in war torn area) haven't experienced extreme IRL violence or gore. Not sure if I understand why players would take it more seriously if it's more realistic? Then again not a fan of FPS/zombie games either :v:

Also, Mika finally does something useful this episode even if it's just hacking into someone else's PC. At least she can tell Akane about the weird in-depth records she found there

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

glomkettle posted:

Holy poo poo is Kogami really Kamui?

I mean that could easily be a red herring. I honestly don't know.

Na, their general demeanor and MO are way different. Kogami was always gruff, reserved and impatient to charge into the heart of things. Kamui has the weird sympathetic grooming behavior going on and a meticulousness Kogami never demonstrated. If Kamui does turn out to be Kogami, then the character will have undergone an insane amount of change in a short period of time. Plus, Kogami already went through his big character changing trauma before the first season, I don't think the events of the during the first season would lead to another change of personality and principles.

Red herring all the way.

Alder posted:

Also, Mika finally does something useful this episode even if it's just hacking into someone else's PC. At least she can tell Akane about the weird in-depth records she found there

I bet she stays utterly terrible and finds someway to rationalize not telling her.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm glad they put in that bit about the safety switches, because you just know in real life, random jerks teamkilling would have thrown off the entire plan.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I bet she stays utterly terrible and finds someway to rationalize not telling her.

I want to believe :cop:

I know I joked about Kogami=Kamui but I don't think so if I were to be serious from everything we know in the episodes.

BTW: Anyone else on the GinoxAkane train?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

That episode was bad-rear end.

Loved the super casual info drop of "Oh yeah, we have these video game Holo systems around because we use them for our border guard." :tviv:

Mika standing by and freaking out while all the Enforcers blow the lid on the "whoops you've been killing people" secret is pretty hilarious. The Enforcers just want the killing to stop, gently caress people's Psycho-Passes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

I want to believe :cop:

I seriously want to believe it too. At least she acknowledged that she's kinda hosed up, even if it was only just one line, though the whole Tougane spying on Akane thing might not help that.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This episode was mad stupid, but still plenty action-packed and entertaining up until the lame anticlimax ending.

I've come to accept I enjoy this season for vastly different reasons than the first one.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Akane stopping Togane was stupid as poo poo. Yeah just let Kamui get away not like he hasn't had a track record of getting dozens of people killed on like a weekly basis so far.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

YF-23 posted:

Akane stopping Togane was stupid as poo poo. Yeah just let Kamui get away not like he hasn't had a track record of getting dozens of people killed on like a weekly basis so far.

Yeah, it was stupid, but emotional decisions have a tendency to be like that. She's got kind of a sore spot about that kind of thing, if you recall.

A fun/stupid/irritating (depending on your interpretation) thing about Akane is that you can argue that she should do things differently, but there's a good chance her bleeding heart by-the-book "Come what may" approach is the reason her Psycho-Pass stays so low. We've already seen two good, pragmatic cops who were less idealism-driven end up dead because of how this world works; Akane's dumb anime protagonist morality might be only thing that puts her in her in a position to do any real good, as opposed to being treated like a subhuman the way Enforcers end up

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 15, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

YF-23 posted:

I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I really wanted someone to just shoot out the boats engine/propeller/whatever with their gently caress off anti-material rifle. There's are actions between doing nothing and gunning them all down you know.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I really wanted someone to just shoot out the boats engine/propeller/whatever with their gently caress off anti-material rifle. There's are actions between doing nothing and gunning them all down you know.

Indeed, but it might've sunk the boat and then we're lose his special brain to add to Sybil's collection of abnormal brains or just made S2 a lot shorter than intended.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, it was stupid, but emotional decisions have a tendency to be like that. She's got kind of a sore spot about that kind of thing, if you recall.

I agree it fits narratively, but plotting it that was was dumb as hell. This whole episode felt a bit badly done, with some weird animation too.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
She already lost a good friend in literally the exact same situation. I was 100% expecting her to have learned her lesson and just give him a zero hesitation headshot.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Alder posted:

Indeed, but it might've sunk the boat and then we're lose his special brain to add to Sybil's collection of abnormal brains or just made S2 a lot shorter than intended.

I was half expecting Togane to just shoot Kamui, and Togane be the main antagonist for the rest of the season after that whole "I want to turn her hue black" thing.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

YF-23 posted:

I think a better way that could have played out would be for Akane to fire at Kamui, but have the woman with Kamui jump in front of him and take the hit. The next episode could have dealt with the fallout from that.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 15, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

seizure later posted:

I was half expecting Togane to just shoot Kamui, and Togane be the main antagonist for the rest of the season after that whole "I want to turn her hue black" thing.

I think it'd be a cool plot twist but that'd be one helluva long set-up for a sudden villain switch in the beginning.

Great Rumbler posted:

I think a better way that could have played out would be for Akane to fire at Kamui, but have the woman with Kamui just in front of him and take the hit. The next episode could have dealt with the fallout from that.

Yeah, I think it'd be a better yet I think the show wants to either give Kamui a assistant or backup person otherwise he'll be stuck recruiting randoms all over again. Also, I wonder if Akane thinks Shisui can be talked down and returning to Inspectors w/info about Kamui's secret plans?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Episode Seven; or where you get a strange feeling you saw bits of this plot in Ghost in the Shell

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nine of Eight posted:

Episode Seven; or where you get a strange feeling you saw bits of this plot in Ghost in the Shell

With how Kamui keeps getting called a ghost, I was getting this feeling from the start. Wild guess, these cymatic scan thingies can somehow read your soul/ghost. And Kamui doesn't have one, so he doesn't get picked up on them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The plot thickens.

And Shimontsuki is tripping over death flags left and right. :(

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

The plot thickens.

And Shimontsuki is tripping over death flags left and right. :(

Even so it's a bit early into S2 for Major Character Death to show up unannounced and all. I'm still surprised Mika didn't tell anyone about all the files and photos? C'mon she distrusts Akane enough to send official reports to the Chief but not Togane who is shady as hell?

Oh, and Kogami making his belated cameo just in time to offer advice. IDK if the translation just awkward but that came off as clunky than insightful to me. For a min I thought Akane had indeed taken up smoking as a stress relief :bravo2:

Also, I feel bad for the Hinakawa as someone who has exp w/MDD and it's a pain deal w/it for careers and life. At least, we get to find out more about the Enforcers this time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This does seem to be moving really fast now. Is this season only 13 episodes?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Sindai posted:

This does seem to be moving really fast now. Is this season only 13 episodes?

It is 11 episodes.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda annoyed by this episode 'cause I feel like the team could've/should've already figured out the thing about Kamui and the crashed plane since they had already figured out that the first holo was an aged version of a kid who had died in the crash. Shouldn't this have raised flags in their heads? "Why a victim from the plane crash? What's his connection? Oh, hey look! He's on the passenger list!". I dunno; I feel like it's shoddy detective-work. Not sure if I'm missing something that would justify how they hadn't already figured things out..

Also, the scene with Akane's grandmother seemed so randomly thrown in... Not sure what that was all about other than some way to have Akane reaffirm her convictions or something.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

krnhotwings posted:

Also, the scene with Akane's grandmother seemed so randomly thrown in... Not sure what that was all about other than some way to have Akane reaffirm her convictions or something.

she's totally been swapped out. doesn't really confirm this, but her earring sparkles for a frame at the end. totes something's going on

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

she's totally been swapped out. doesn't really confirm this, but her earring sparkles for a frame at the end. totes something's going on
That's what I thought (and still think,) too. I just have doubts 'cause I can't see how it would aid Kamui.

But yeah... poo poo's way too fishy. I dunno if I'm reading too much into the scene, but...
- The lobby's all hosed up and the grandma is calm and seemingly unaware of the robot rampage? Chyeah, sure.
- When Akane ran into the room, the first thing you see is a vase of flowers. Not sure if it's purely decorative or if it implies that somebody had visited.
- When Akane ran in, the grandma was facing forward rather than facing toward Akane when she was asked why she looked pale. But I'm not sure if this is some strange animation error 'cause the next cut immediately shows the grandma facing Akane. But regardless, the grandma wasn't surprised at all to see Akane, and the first words out of her mouth seemed immediate (meaning, scripted.)
- The cut with the wheelchair panning in the foreground felt strange. Not sure how to explain this one other than it felt out of place and contrasted to the rest of the scene. But I'm not a director, so what do I know.

GAH, guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm just rambling and overthinking things.

e: Actually, scratch all that. My new (and more obvious) theory is Kamui visited the grandma and gave her whatever drugs to keep her color clear, and the grandma controlled the robots and hosed poo poo up (she was holding a tablet-like device when Akane came running in) maybe due to pent up anger for being neglected (or whatever reason..) But still not sure why/how this helps Kamui.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 21, 2014

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

krnhotwings posted:

I was kinda annoyed by this episode 'cause I feel like the team could've/should've already figured out the thing about Kamui and the crashed plane since they had already figured out that the first holo was an aged version of a kid who had died in the crash. Shouldn't this have raised flags in their heads? "Why a victim from the plane crash? What's his connection? Oh, hey look! He's on the passenger list!". I dunno; I feel like it's shoddy detective-work. Not sure if I'm missing something that would justify how they hadn't already figured things out..

Yeah, the fact that they apparently never even typed his name in to a search of their databases seems like a massive blundering oversight, especially for someone as thorough as Akane.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm guessing they assumed Kamui to be a nickname instead of the guy's actual name. I know I did. But yeah the police in Psycho Pass has been largely incompetent all throughout the show so this doesn't exactly break my suspension of disbelief.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Plus they had all that info like a week ago but the worlds worst inspector hasn't been checking her email.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Plus they had all that info like a week ago but the worlds worst inspector hasn't been checking her email.

Now that you mention it, that actually seems like almost the worst suspension-of-disbelief violation yet.
Sure, she's absolutely incompetent, but it seems more likely she'd be the inspector saying:
"No, I've got to check my e-mails. I don't care if there's a madman with a cleaver chopping people up in Seaward Square, procedures say you check your e-mails first thing after getting into the office."

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

krnhotwings posted:

Kamui visited the grandma and gave her whatever drugs to keep her color clear, and the grandma controlled the robots and hosed poo poo up (she was holding a tablet-like device when Akane came running in) maybe due to pent up anger for being neglected (or whatever reason..) But still not sure why/how this helps Kamui.

I agree with the latter theory as she is acting way too calm considering everything happening elsewhere in the city and how Akane works for the Safety Bureau too.

The_White_Crane posted:

Now that you mention it, that actually seems like almost the worst suspension-of-disbelief violation yet.

See proper email procedures really do improve workplace efficiency?!

Anyways, I figured in the future all tech would be interconnected, so if I were to get a new mail my smartwatch would tell me to check the inbox and etc. Then my future boss/employer can contact me anywhere at anytime :unsmith:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I really dug when Akane and Togane were standing at the dock and Togane goes something to the effect of "Of course, only you can stop them." Dude is being delightfully manipulative.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sounds like he turns his inspectors into criminals for fun and Sybil assigned him to Akane as an experiment.

Speaking of which, I was surprised Sybil didn't justify not revoking the subverted inspector's credentials by pointing out that from where it's standing she's not much different from Akane.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the angle is that she's supposed to somewhat represent empty adherence to the system; she talks the talk but has never really walked the walk.

Alder posted:

Anyways, I figured in the future all tech would be interconnected, so if I were to get a new mail my smartwatch would tell me to check the inbox and etc. Then my future boss/employer can contact me anywhere at anytime :unsmith:

Dude.. I think you just described a circle of hell.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Dude.. I think you just described a circle of hell.

Also, in the future I hope we will have the glasses from Dennou Coil:

Instead of what looks like rainmeter desktops on the PCs at the office...

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
what if it "wrong" coller inestead of "what color". holy jesus fucks!

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Alder posted:

Even so it's a bit early into S2 for Major Character Death to show up unannounced and all. I'm still surprised Mika didn't tell anyone about all the files and photos? C'mon she distrusts Akane enough to send official reports to the Chief but not Togane who is shady as hell?

Oh, and Kogami making his belated cameo just in time to offer advice. IDK if the translation just awkward but that came off as clunky than insightful to me. For a min I thought Akane had indeed taken up smoking as a stress relief :bravo2:

Also, I feel bad for the Hinakawa as someone who has exp w/MDD and it's a pain deal w/it for careers and life. At least, we get to find out more about the Enforcers this time.

isnt the season only 11 episodes?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The_White_Crane posted:

Sure, she's absolutely incompetent, but it seems more likely she'd be the inspector saying:
"No, I've got to check my e-mails. I don't care if there's a madman with a cleaver chopping people up in Seaward Square, procedures say you check your e-mails first thing after getting into the office."

This is the same woman who didn't even know one of her enforcers was an inspector like a year ago. She has never shown even the slightest ability to keep track of information. Actually most of her protests could just be read as not wanting to do extra work.

I'm curious if Sibyl is refusing to help or if the programming literally can't think of itself as faulty. It's just super annoying that it will acknowledge a warehouse full of brains it couldn't judge but still insists this slightly different error is impossible.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't remember how they explain things in season one but is Akane supposed to be asymptomatic? I imagine that if Makishima had been asymptomatic but had lived as an upstanding citizen, then he would have been undetectable, because being asymptomatic only matters if you're actually violating the law. In that case, if Akane is asymptomatic but has been doing a good job as a law enforcer, then Sibyl probably wants to force her to cross her moral threshold so they can prove that she's not just a well-adjusted officer but is actually criminally asymptomatic. Sibyl could have planted Togane to enable her to do something morally unjustifiable, and it could also have set up Kamui as an impossible case. It'd be easy enough for the Sibyl system to turn a blind eye toward Kamui for the sake of frustrating Akane's attempts to capture him. If Sibyl forces Akane to do something evil in order to catch Kamui, and sees that her score is unaffected, then it can deem her criminally asymptomatic and incorporate her into its collective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cephas posted:

I don't remember how they explain things in season one but is Akane supposed to be asymptomatic? I imagine that if Makishima had been asymptomatic but had lived as an upstanding citizen, then he would have been undetectable, because being asymptomatic only matters if you're actually violating the law. In that case, if Akane is asymptomatic but has been doing a good job as a law enforcer, then Sibyl probably wants to force her to cross her moral threshold so they can prove that she's not just a well-adjusted officer but is actually criminally asymptomatic. Sibyl could have planted Togane to enable her to do something morally unjustifiable, and it could also have set up Kamui as an impossible case. It'd be easy enough for the Sibyl system to turn a blind eye toward Kamui for the sake of frustrating Akane's attempts to capture him. If Sibyl forces Akane to do something evil in order to catch Kamui, and sees that her score is unaffected, then it can deem her criminally asymptomatic and incorporate her into its collective.

Huh, that's an idea. We did see Sybil actively try to manipulate events for its benefit back in season 1 so there is a precedent. It would also explain that segment of the op that I pointed out several episodes ago that connects Sybil to Togane, and would explain the motive for paralleling him to Kogami.

• Locked thread