Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

Blhue posted:

I don't see Clannad on that list, go watch that

seen it. i'm thinking recent. clannad's eyes bother me, otherwise i would rewatch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Okay. Browsing through Crunchy for things you didn't mention that I remember being good... Natsuyuki Rendezvous? Also Kawai Complex was decent, but the romance in that was secondary rather than being the focus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Your Lie in April is presently airing and getting good buzz.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Otome Youkai Zakuro is on CR
Kamisama Hajimemashita S1 is on Hulu and S2 is one of the upcoming winter shows so you might as well catch up.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 20, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Everything Burrito posted:

Otome Youkai Zakuro is on CR
Kamisama Hajimemashita S1 is on Hulu and S2 is one of the upcoming winter shows so you might as well catch up.

Neither of these "punch you in the face with the romance" but they're still good (more drama in Zakuro, more comedy in Kamisama).

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

Well what I mean with KareKano is how quick it was into a relationship. None of the teasing (Suzuka - god that poo poo drove me up the wall), or more comedy than romance, or god knows I've had enough harem crap. It was just the two of them and their problems they faced daily. It was satisfying to see it develop. I did watch Natsuyuki Rendezvous. Kamisama Hajimemashita was more reverse harem than anything.

Though I do appreciate the ideas thus far. Otome Youkai Zakuro sounds interesting, even if it's not strictly romance.

edit: though looking back at Suzuka, the anime was crazy different than the manga. or cut short. in that sense, I suppose it's like KareKano.

draconic fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 20, 2014

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

It's not anime, but if you want punch you in the face romance, there are some really good kdramas that really punch you in the face with it. Queen Inhyun's Man is by far the best.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My suggestions were mostly just based on Yona being in the have-watched list. I actually have no idea what "punch you in the face romance" is supposed to mean :shrug:

I would suggest another look at Kamisama Kiss before completely dismissing it as reverse harem because the extra guys aren't really any sort of competition for the main couple (or just read the manga because it is pretty awesome).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

draconic posted:

edit: though looking back at Suzuka, the anime was crazy different than the manga. or cut short. in that sense, I suppose it's like KareKano.

I kind of feel like that could only be an improvement, though. Suzuka's manga was infuriating.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I liked Kamisama anime more than the manga because it had a quick pace and maybe I liked the VAs too.

I don't read many sad/tragedy shoujo series but I can find entertaining romance/comedy series instead for you :3:

Horimiya
Kuragehime
Yukarism (on hiatus)
Don't Cry, Girl
Veins
Mascara Blues

Yeah, I prefer one-shots vs long series but then again I don't have as much time as I did when I was younger :v:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Alder posted:

I liked Kamisama anime more than the manga because it had a quick pace and maybe I liked the VAs too.

I've said it before but the MC's voice has so much character, I just love it.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

I kind of feel like that could only be an improvement, though. Suzuka's manga was infuriating.

well in any case, the sequel, fuuka, made me cry like a little bitch even though it's not even done. good lord. so i guess there's my taste in manga/anime. would be nice to watch an anime like that, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kare Kano really cut short before it got really drama and dark in the manga. I think a whole volume was based on Arima's past because they ran out of stuff to say.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

Tae posted:

Kare Kano really cut short before it got really drama and dark in the manga. I think a whole volume was based on Arima's past because they ran out of stuff to say.

but that was one of the best parts. how do you grow up with that kind of poo poo residing inside of you, and how do you reconcile it? she did that for him. it was so hosed up. also that's kinda why the artist said no to another season, they concentrated on the comedy rather than the drama/romance. i hate it, but i don't blame her. him. it. whoever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Arima's background is okay, but to have it span across multiple volumes was kinda a lowpoint for me when I was following along. At least she made a joke about the other characters going "Uh, we still exist, right?"

I also think it's hilarious the author couldn't just ask the director Hideki Anno, the creator of Evangelion, to try and get grim for a 2nd season (also hilarious that the new Rebuild movies use soundtracks directly from Kare Kano).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The second half of the Kare Kano manga just doesn't have the same charm that the first did. As I remember it, it meanders on the weirdest character arcs and just drags drags drags trying to reach the end of the line. It was basically 12 volumes of "Arima had lovely biological parents but he turned out OK...OR DID HE?" over and over again. I think at one point it had gone so far down the rabbit hole that it wound up spending a whole volume on his foster dad's backstory, a character no one ever really gave a poo poo about before. At least when they did it with Yukino's dad it was because he much more interesting character in the present.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also the last couple of panels of the manga ends with Arima's daughter being the "soul mate" of his best friend, like some sort of bad metaphor that his love for both carried over to their child.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I remember about Kare Kano was that after watching the anime I decided I wanted to know more, and really really liked the continuation of the story about those two kids whose parents remarried (I think it's vol 12, or maybe 11), and after that I don't remember anything at all, which probably means it was so bad my brain blocked everything except the fact that I didn't like it.

E: I till heavily recommend reading/watching it though, because the first half is glorious.

Allarion posted:

What I mostly remember from the last couple arcs of Inuyasha was him fighting some random boss, absorbing their power, and upgrading his sword, rinse and repeat. It did lead to a dick move by their dad where Sesshomaru found out his sword was also gonna be absorbed by Inuyasha's sword as well. I dunno, I felt like Inuyasha felt was too formulaic in general, especially at the end so I don't really hold it in any high regard. I still think all her stuff pre-Inuyasha was still pretty solid, but I never got around to reading Takahashi's latest series.

I hate you for this, because I'm now watching again even though I don't have the time to. Thanks though, it's a really nice show still.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 21, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tae posted:

I also think it's hilarious the author couldn't just ask the director Hideki Anno, the creator of Evangelion, to try and get grim for a 2nd season (also hilarious that the new Rebuild movies use soundtracks directly from Kare Kano).

Although, I've never watched/read KareKano but now I want to because HIDEKI ANNO and all. I did read there were some budget cuts in the anime e.g. it featured some QUALITY animation work as in still images ripped from the manga instead of well, IDK animation?

I still need to watch NGE anime or the movies too :sigh:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alder posted:

Although, I've never watched/read KareKano but now I want to because HIDEKI ANNO and all. I did read there were some budget cuts in the anime e.g. it featured some QUALITY animation work as in still images ripped from the manga instead of well, IDK animation?

I still need to watch NGE anime or the movies too :sigh:

Yeah, there are a few really half assed episodes, with one being more or less a goddamn slideshow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think KareKano is probably the only Hideki Anno directed thing I've never seen, purely because of its reputation for going to the dogs halfway through.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The episodes he directed are pretty incredible. Like I honestly think Kare Kano Eps. 1-18 are the best shoujo I've ever seen, anime or manga. It's got that Evangelion post-modernist touch to it that just makes the presentation so much more unique and appealing compared what you usually get with romance stories. It was doing great faces and character antics way before Lovely Complex, for example. The soundtrack (Shiro Sagisu, Evangelion again!) is a really neat blend of strings and jazz as well. All told it's a cool little show even if it peters out at the end.

Related, one of the only AMVs I still think is pretty great and what originally convinced me to watch the show in the first place: "Far and Away" by Maboroshi

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Watch the anime or read the manga first? For me, I prefer anime as they will fix awkward art and side plots which went no where in manga. I can tolerate old anime series as long as the story is interesting enough.

BTW: Everyone should watch RoV for shoujo masterpieces. Great VAs and story.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really should watch Rose of Versailles one of these days, especially considering how much I love Utena and RoV is to that what Ideon is to Evangelion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Alder posted:

Watch the anime or read the manga first? For me, I prefer anime as they will fix awkward art and side plots which went no where in manga. I can tolerate old anime series as long as the story is interesting enough.

BTW: Everyone should watch RoV for shoujo masterpieces. Great VAs and story.
The anime's take on manga events is pound for pound better in almost every instance. It's just that you're only getting half of the story by the time it's over. And even then the other half in the manga isn't that great.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

The anime's take on manga events is pound for pound better in almost every instance. It's just that you're only getting half of the story by the time it's over. And even then the other half in the manga isn't that great.

So is it similar to Soul Eater? which had a fun start w/magic HS adventure and then it started to actively decline after episode 20 out of 52 because it got confusing for no reason. Does that mean I can watch up to a certain point and pretend it had a unofficial ending?

I've done it before for series because I'd rather not watch an otherwise entertaining story just fall apart in the final chapters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are basically two problems with the anime that have nothing to do with the manga or otherwise the quality of the story: First, Anno and the manga author had some sort of falling out and it wound up getting him removed from the project after the 18th episode. Second, there was seemingly no money to go around and so you get a bunch of power point presentations disguised as episodes towards the end. The story presses on as best it can but them's the breaks.

The manga is actually pretty good, if a little bit less interesting/unique. At least for the "Yukino arc" that represents something like the first 10 volumes. After that it goes into the "Arima arc" which we talked about earlier that just isn't as good.

There's no perfect answer here since if you want the rest of the story you need to read the manga, but the rest of the story is the equivalent of the sound of a wet fart so meh. Honestly what I'd do is watch the anime and maybe look up an ending summary.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Once Armia and Yukino get together, the rest of the manga is about exploring other's relationships, Arima's past, and that one play they did about robots. I mean it still does get more details on the two main characters, but for the most part it's just details. Nothing really bad happens to them externally to threaten breaking them apart.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
Someone mentioned Orange Chocolate earlier in the thread and I'm looking for something similar to it.

Problem is I'm not sure whether I like it for the relationship between the two leads or the fact that I can read Chiro and Ukon as yelling every line at the top of their lungs.

Probably a mix of both.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Had to nuke and pave my computer, it was acting funny. Need a pointer back to this one manga I was reading, it involved an OL approaching 30 who got laid off because the company went bust, and then she gets into financial trouble with a loan shark and her moocher college-age scam artist boyfriend, and then moves into the attic of her old boss's new venture, a cafe.

I know some of you know, because I heard about it from here first, but don't remember how many pages ago it was.

EDIT: Son of a bitch, I clicked on a random josei manga to read over at Kissmanga to wait for a response, and it was it. It was Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai.

Speaking of which, new chapter: http://reader.psscans.info/reader/read/dame_na_watashi_ni_koishite_kudasai/en/3/9/page/1

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 22, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.mangahere.co/manga/dame_na_watashi_ni_koishite_kudasai/c001/5.html

I think it's this.

E: I should read the whole thing before posting :cripes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh it's a good series though and could do with having attention called to it. Twice. :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yep, it's Please Love Useless Me, same author as Lovely Complex and it owns, so it's good to have a new chapter.

Lettin your imagination get a little out of control there Michiko.

edit: good god i love this manga. It can make me laugh and tear up at almost the exact same time

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 22, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

You don't have to bold titles.

The new chapter of Real Clothes is real good. http://bato.to/read/_/286440/real-clothes_v9_ch62_by_wingtip-cafe

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god I am still cracking up over the BATTLE PANTIES.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I really should watch Rose of Versailles one of these days, especially considering how much I love Utena and RoV is to that what Ideon is to Evangelion.

AFAIK there isn't a direct connect b/t the 2 series other than they both wear military uniforms and save people from villians. Oh and extreme use of flowers as backgrounds/motifs.

Still waiting for the modern ROV movie :confuoot:

Nate RFB posted:

Honestly what I'd do is watch the anime and maybe look up an ending summary.

Thanks for the info and this will save me time instead of having to read the manga and/or watch the entire series. Now to see if the subs are yellow or any other annoyingly bright colors.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I noticed that Margaret comics punishes both Dame na Watashi and Ore Monogatari - do they have any other ongoing series worth reading?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Real Clothes is good. Uso Lilly too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

coathat posted:

Real Clothes is good. Uso Lilly too.

Usolily tends to become draggy after awhile but I commend the scanlators for their self-dedication to a long series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter of Haru x Kiyo if anyone else is reading it. I wish there was more and that it came out faster because I really like this one. The art is really expressive and the characters are fun.