Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
More money than I have to spend on alpha testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

JcDent posted:

Point me to material and tutorials, and I'll attempt not to cry
(VASSAL is one those things I always wanted to try, but was a little intimidated by use)

Ya i just gotta find a site with all the rule book sin one place.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Picked up Mordheim. In my first battle my rat ogre took himself out of action trying to climb a wall.

Just like old times... :yotj:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Heckler posted:

Picked up Mordheim. In my first battle my rat ogre took himself out of action trying to climb a wall.

Just like old times... :yotj:

Could you write some words about the game, please? Because...

goatface posted:

More money than I have to spend on alpha testing.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Currently the game is only simple deathmatch skirmishes between Skaven and Human Mercenaries. But you can play as/against some of the other factions in the tutorials.

The core gameplay seems pretty solid, you directly control each of your characters in turn and have a small variety of available actions. You spend tactical points to move, attack points to attack. There's also stances you can end your turn in if you have enough tactical/attack points left ie parry/dodge stance, ambush/overwatch stance.

It's promising so far, but it's basically a demo mode until campaigns and more factions are patched in.

I think there may be a slight memory leak at the moment as the performance got slowly worse for me as I played.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

At the moment think of it as the basic learning to play rules in the table top game - so you have the skaven and human warbands playable with chaos as an enemy warband only, no skill progression, equipment etc.

The gameplay itself is fun and work on a troop by troop basis rather than one warband after another. The atmosphere is great and the troops are animated really well. Skaven are very acrobatic except when falling off walls as mentioned previously.

It's alot of fun but i'd wait until it's a bit more filled out. To be honest i only bought it now because i'm desperate for them to do Necromunda. Then i can die happy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks.

Have you seen interesting maps? As in, can you hide your dudes in sniper spots and then spring an ambush when the enemy is in the open? Can the map spawn an area full of alleys where a melee-centered warband will have an advantage?

In fact, does the game have a cover mechanic? And do the Skaven and Mercenaries feel different enough?

I really want this game to be good :ohdear:

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The map i played had alot of multi-level buildings, so i had one skaven with a brace of warplock pistols hiding out on a balcony. seems you can only climb/jump down at certain spots. I'm not sure about cover but you have threat areas around your character - friendly troops can move through them but not stay in them, and it factors in counter attacks.

I've only played as skaven so far but they feel very skaveny - in terms of animation and character at least. I think the game is too basic at the moment to take skills/strategy into account yet.

The limited content they have so far is solid and enjoyable. they've definitely nailed the atmosphere. I really hope they do a map editor.

Edit: i forgot, if you hit left-alt you get a tactial view of the whole map, pretty much a tabletop view. it shows enemy positions so not sure how hiding/ambushes will work online...

everyone wear hats now fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 21, 2014

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think the map only shows enemies that one of your characters can see. Likewise until you see them enemy units have a ? icon in the initiative queue

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
This sounds promising and if there's a solid campaign included in the final version I'll probably give it a try. Thanks for sharing the experience so far!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I doubt there's going to be a plot driven campaign. Then again, do you need one in Mordheim? Fight other warbands, get warpstone, retire a sexy scarred man (...I don't know what the goal of Sisters of Sigmar is). Kind of like SP championships in BB.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There will be an eight mission plot driven campaign for each of the four starting factions that features one special character (dramatis personae I think they're called in mordheim) for each faction.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm about worried that 'every warband gets a big guy'. Those who've played the Alpha, does it seem like it's a no-brainer to take them? Because I hope there are times when you wouldn't.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 21, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ineptmule posted:

I'm about worried that 'every warband gets a big guy'. Those who've played the Alpha, does it seem like it's a no-brained to take them? Because I hope there are times when you wouldn't.

I do hope this is not the case. Maybe I want to run the team without a horrible looking spawn.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Customisation isn't in yet so we dunno.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you can field 10 pieces with 5 in reserve, and they can be any ten pieces, and you have the option of a big guy, I'm not sure why you wouldn't have one. Especially if you get to see the map before you pick which 10 you start.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

goatface posted:

If you can field 10 pieces with 5 in reserve, and they can be any ten pieces, and you have the option of a big guy, I'm not sure why you wouldn't have one. Especially if you get to see the map before you pick which 10 you start.

I'm a boring person that doesn't use a Minotaur in BB Chaos teams. I assume the Big Guys will have some kind of negatrait as well?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would hope they're at least easier to hit by ranged pieces.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Rat ogres have the stupidity thing where they sometimes fail to do anything

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, so they are BB big guys.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I've heard that the Mordheim PC game plays like the most recent XCOM. C/D?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It looks like the four factions in the mix so far are Mercenaries, Chaos Cultists, Skaven and Sisters of Sigma? Is that right? If so, I am wondering what the 'big unit' is for Sisters. It would be kind of disappointing for them to just copy-paste the Ogre over to them, but I am not sure what other options are there for a human faction.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ashcans posted:

It looks like the four factions in the mix so far are Mercenaries, Chaos Cultists, Skaven and Sisters of Sigma? Is that right? If so, I am wondering what the 'big unit' is for Sisters. It would be kind of disappointing for them to just copy-paste the Ogre over to them, but I am not sure what other options are there for a human faction.

Probably a bad-rear end Mother Superior. Not every faction gets a Big Guy in Mordheim unless you hire them as a mercenary or Dramatis Persone (or whatever)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

The Sisters of Sigmar don't actually have a big guy. Their special unit is called the Maiden of Sigmar and she's normal-sized, but seemed just as powerful. She's decked out in fancy plate armor and wields two maces. You get to play as the Sisters in the third tutorial and the Maiden knocked out a rat ogre without breaking a sweat.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Silhouette posted:

I've heard that the Mordheim PC game plays like the most recent XCOM. C/D?
It does in that it's a turn based percentage-based game, but it's not on a grid and the hit points are a lot more granular than XCOM's. There's a gameplay video that I think's already been posted in the thread, but here it is again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqi7lVl7xfI

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Safety Factor posted:

The Sisters of Sigmar don't actually have a big guy. Their special unit is called the Maiden of Sigmar and she's normal-sized, but seemed just as powerful. She's decked out in fancy plate armor and wields two maces. You get to play as the Sisters in the third tutorial and the Maiden knocked out a rat ogre without breaking a sweat.

Oh, that is actually pretty cool. I must have misunderstand what they said to mean 'a large unit' instead of a 'big hitter', so I was trying to work out what huge beast they could give Sisters. A badass Abbess or something is pretty cool. I hope this does well enough for them to expand the factions with some more varieties of Merc. Except Dark Elves, gently caress those guys.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah she's basically unstoppable I took her around to kill off the other skaven after the set tutorial section ended

Zakka
Apr 27, 2010
I found this really informative video with the developer talking about the game while playing: http://www.twitch.tv/focushomeinteractive/b/590892631

E: The game looks really, really cool!

Zakka fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 21, 2014

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

In the video the guy on the couch is playing the game with an xbox/playstation controller.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zakka posted:

I found this really informative video with the developer talking about the game while playing: http://www.twitch.tv/focushomeinteractive/b/590892631

E: The game looks really, really cool!

"Each campaign has it's own storyline". Well, I'm sold, I guess!

I also the small detail that failure/success of a jump is only displayed in the middle of the jump, and not instantly when you press the button. It's fun to see the Skaven flop.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 22, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
A few posts back, someone posted a rough 'Tier Guide' to tabletop Mordheim warband power levels. My group seems keen on running a Mordheim campaign sometime in the next year, and I wanted to play Beastmen because they are cool and the plastics available should make for a sweet warband. I'm a bit concerned as they seemed to be at the top of the tier list, and I wondered if they are simply too broken (and why) or if there is a way to build them that isn't going to be un-fun for the rest of the players.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I would take that tier list with a grain of salt.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ineptmule posted:

A few posts back, someone posted a rough 'Tier Guide' to tabletop Mordheim warband power levels. My group seems keen on running a Mordheim campaign sometime in the next year, and I wanted to play Beastmen because they are cool and the plastics available should make for a sweet warband. I'm a bit concerned as they seemed to be at the top of the tier list, and I wondered if they are simply too broken (and why) or if there is a way to build them that isn't going to be un-fun for the rest of the players.

The issue with Mordheim is that some warbands can be good or bad depending on the length of a campaign. Dwarfs are often seen as "broken" because they are very hard to kill and therefor over time gain huge amounts of experience which leads to them being powerhouses in long term campaigns. With Beastmen the problems are slightly more complex:

The main issue is that the thing thats supposed to hamper them (no access to non-rare armor) isn't an issue at all because in most Mordheim games armor is heavily overcosted and rarely worth it if it's not special or rare (basically Elf/Dwarf armor). What they get in return is almost universal access to T4 on a large segment of their models which is generally waaaaay better than armor ever was.

Minotaurs, the Chieftan and Gors are loving great for their points. Not much else to say but that really.

They suffer from playing really well to a meta game that didn't exist when they were written. This goes with the armor thing basically. The way most people play Mordheim was not at all how the guys who wrote a lot of Mordheim seemed to have played. And so by mostly chance Beastmen ended up with a large segment of things people consider to be really good in Mordheim and generally have access to a lot more of them than normal warbands do. They have cheap dogs, a tough big dude, a fast guy who can grab objectives (although he is generally a bit spendy), good magic, hard hitting HtH frontline troops and access to cheap missile weapons. Also they have AMAZING special racial skills, every single one of them is extremely awesome.

They aren't "ruin the game" broken like some warbands can be (Elves, Carnival, Pestilens) and they aren't a "hard counter" warband to existing popular ones (Amazons). They are just very high tier because there are very few things about them that are bad.

They aren't without weakness, their ranged game is fairly poor, they really don't have BS4 guys at all and their missile weapon selection is kinda poor. However they can get cheap missile troops, are tough enough to try and engage with the enemy and if push comes to shove they can hire a small selection of mercenaries who can bring ranged weaponry.

Edit: It should also be noted that many warbands can be built poorly. Pestilens and Carnival are insanely good as long as you build their power builds otherwise they are pretty OK. I've played in many games where people picked Dwarfs and got really mad they weren't winning all the time because they had like five guys on the field due to spending all their dosh on armor and guns. Whats more likely to unbalance a game of Mordheim is someone getting really good rolls on random tables by total chance and ending up with their warband being led by a dude with Conan level stats while everyone else keeps rolling +1BS upgrades on their merc who's kitted out to scrap in HtH and has no ranged weapons whatsoever.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 22, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Ok cool, that's very helpful. Thanks.

I was just looking over one Beastmen list which is in the Yaktribe vault ("Beastmen Raiders") which sounds like it has some differences from what you're explaining - mainly in that there appear to be no missile weapons available at all. What is the list you're referring to called?

Edit: I guess I also was wondering if it's possible to play Elves in a non-broken way. Eg. without going balls to the wall with bows. Because again, I like Elves and would like to model a warband of them, but don't want to play an un-fun list.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 22, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ineptmule posted:

Ok cool, that's very helpful. Thanks.

I was just looking over one Beastmen list which is in the Yaktribe vault ("Beastmen Raiders") which sounds like it has some differences from what you're explaining - mainly in that there appear to be no missile weapons available at all. What is the list you're referring to called?

Edit: I guess I also was wondering if it's possible to play Elves in a non-broken way. Eg. without going balls to the wall with bows. Because again, I like Elves and would like to model a warband of them, but don't want to play an un-fun list.

For some reason I though Beastmen had access to Short Bows, not sure why. You can still buy a bunch of bows after your first game assuming you have the cash laying around tho.

I think you can play elves without it being too broken. The main issue with them stems from really great statlines. They can lock down a board, especially one thats been poorly laid out, with high BS shots and can make the game hell for a lot of starting warbands. In combat they have very high I and WS which means you tend to be able to go toe to toe even with really strong stuff like trained Bears or Ogres and not break a sweat. They even out and become less good as a campaign goes on but they come out of the gate very strong. A lot of the elf hatred stems from the fact that they draw in people who are very competitive and have a good grip on strategy for wargames due to their ability to lock down boards and have a huge amount of control over objectives. Setting up your board in a similar way to, say, Infinity goes a long way towards curbing their power, but stat wise they are always going to be monsters in the early game.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A lot of the elf hatred stems from the fact that they draw in people who are very competitive and have a good grip on strategy for wargames due to their ability to lock down boards and have a huge amount of control over objectives.

Elf hatred comes from how the group's meta changes when someone plays them. Games rapidly turn into people spending 10-15 minutes a turn trying to abuse as much LoS stuff as possible, as anyone out in the open are going to get pincushioned from 3 stories. They also don't have any real weakness, considering their main weakness in fantasy (poorly armored and frail) aren't in mordheim since armor isn't that important and elves can become toughness 4 via skillups.

I played as dwarves in a 4 player league against Shadow Warriors, Dark Elves, and Wood Elves, and I almost stopped playing the game entirely. Reminder that due to not being able to run within 8", an elf can just casually backpedal and continually shoot at anything with M3 or less until they reach a table edge.

edit: We played a houserule that you can only buy armor that was in your starting items as well as a more nuanced crit table, which did a lot to balance the game out.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Business Gorillas posted:

Elf hatred comes from how the group's meta changes when someone plays them. Games rapidly turn into people spending 10-15 minutes a turn trying to abuse as much LoS stuff as possible, as anyone out in the open are going to get pincushioned from 3 stories. They also don't have any real weakness, considering their main weakness in fantasy (poorly armored and frail) aren't in mordheim since armor isn't that important and elves can become toughness 4 via skillups.

I played as dwarves in a 4 player league against Shadow Warriors, Dark Elves, and Wood Elves, and I almost stopped playing the game entirely. Reminder that due to not being able to run within 8", an elf can just casually backpedal and continually shoot at anything with M3 or less until they reach a table edge.

edit: We played a houserule that you can only buy armor that was in your starting items as well as a more nuanced crit table, which did a lot to balance the game out.

Dark Elves are also a bit bullshit because they weren't ever balanced to fight against normal Mordheim warbands. All the Lustria ones were basically balanced only against themselves and are nutty good for no reason other than they were meant to be more of a Skirmish version of a Fantasy campaign rather than part of Mordheim as a whole. As I've said before, Horned Hunters are basically the "fixed" version of Elves, much like how Black Orcs and Forest Goblins are the fixed version of the Orc list. You still get that expert hunters who snipe and kill dudes who step wrong in the woods vibe, but with statlines that aren't loving bonkers and actual drawbacks. Horned Hunters is a fun as hell list too, it's basically Elves+Witch Hunters and their special hunting arrows that they can buy are cool beans.

Your situation is really the rawest tho. Like, if its a campaign of five people and four of them are stuff like Witch Hunters, Brets, Dwarfs and Chaos and then one rear end in a top hat who brings Shadow Warriors, you can just adjust the elf guys rating slightly and be fine. But three elf bands on one not-elf band is pretty lovely for the not-elf unless he's playing, say, one of the Skaven warbands (since they do OK vs elves).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

rzal posted:

In the video the guy on the couch is playing the game with an xbox/playstation controller.

It's possible to hook up xbox controllers to a PC :(

I so want to get my hands on this but until it appears on a 360, I'm SOL

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Just a reminder: Adepticon registration has started. My buddy will be running the Epic tourney (well, series of games, since it isn't competitive at all) and there will also be Necromunda (this is going fast) and Warmaster.

If you're thinking about coming this year, do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Can someone do a quick breakdown of what epic actually plays like? I always wanted to get into it but I'm not sure if I'd dig the gameplay.

• Locked thread