Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

alpha_destroy posted:

:words: Scully as victim

I realize I am wrong.

You're not. EDIT 2: Not entirely.

I’m reading reviews of X-Files episodes because I’m watching it again, and out of sheer curiosity, since I'd only seen it once, I went to Orison a bit prematurely.

Apparently Scully was, by several reviewers' standards, out of line for murdering a fetishist serial killer who focused on her as a target, and made it really drat clear that he wanted to turn her hair and nails into a source of sexual satisfaction. This'll be the second time he's done this to her.

The episode was poo poo to begin with for bringing him back and giving him a supernatural element that wasn't based on her fevered imaginings (the morphing effect in Irresistable). Given how poo poo-awful his reintroduction was into her life, besides, like, holy poo poo. Of course she’s going to murder him. The shitlords saying it's 'out of line' for her character honestly just blow me away. It's one of the few times she does exactly what you'd think she would without being 'saved,' and even then, Mulder's got him in custody.

I mean, my god, she should’ve killed him in the initial episode, gently caress’s sake.

And the ending conversation is what makes it even more terrible.

VV EDIT 3: You raise a good point VV

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It is a little weird to discuss Scully as always the victim when in most of the big mytharc episodes Mulder is the one needing rescue.

Season one ends with Mulder kidnapped and Scully having to retrieve the alien fetus to exchange for him. Season 2 Mulder is going insane and Scully has to shoot him to prevent him from falling into a trap, and he ends up unconscious at the end anyways. Season 4/5 is Mulder on the run and Scully covering up for him by pretending he is dead. 6/7 is Mulder in a coma and Scully saving him, and 7 through the end it is Mulder abducted/dead/infected and Scully saving him. Then there is the one with the submarine and Mulder on ice where Scully saves him (don't remember the season). Other than Scully's cancer and the 1st movie, the mytharc is all about Mulder in trouble and Scully saving him.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
All my bitching aside (Orison and its reviews seriously pissed me off), I've been going through M*A*S*H episodes again, and I realized--

Margaret Houlihan and her brief not-so-love-affair with Sergeant-turned-Private Scully.

Given all the other random nods, and homages in the show, I'd be surprised if that's not one of them.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
drat, Skinner is turning out to be one of my favorite parts of this show. He's kicked so much more rear end so far (just saw 'Paper Clip') than I was expecting him too. It's been really fun watching this along with Kumail Nanjiani's podcast.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That podcast is absolutely one of the best I've ever heard. His other one is kind of lame because it's just him joking around with a guest about whatever, but the demand to do some analysis of something specific really generates some good discussion.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

joepinetree posted:

It is a little weird to discuss Scully as always the victim when in most of the big mytharc episodes Mulder is the one needing rescue.

Season one ends with Mulder kidnapped and Scully having to retrieve the alien fetus to exchange for him. Season 2 Mulder is going insane and Scully has to shoot him to prevent him from falling into a trap, and he ends up unconscious at the end anyways. Season 4/5 is Mulder on the run and Scully covering up for him by pretending he is dead. 6/7 is Mulder in a coma and Scully saving him, and 7 through the end it is Mulder abducted/dead/infected and Scully saving him. Then there is the one with the submarine and Mulder on ice where Scully saves him (don't remember the season). Other than Scully's cancer and the 1st movie, the mytharc is all about Mulder in trouble and Scully saving him.

Agreed. Although there are numerous examples of white knight Mulder rescuing the damsel in distress Scully, quite often, it is the other way around. I think I've made this point in the thread before, but a strong female lead was a rarity in television until the X-Files, and I think that Scully paved the way for a long line of strong female characters in television in the past two decades.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Exploder posted:

Agreed. Although there are numerous examples of white knight Mulder rescuing the damsel in distress Scully, quite often, it is the other way around. I think I've made this point in the thread before, but a strong female lead was a rarity in television until the X-Files, and I think that Scully paved the way for a long line of strong female characters in television in the past two decades.

Yeah, I have to remind myself when it was made sometimes.

In other news, I finally watched the entirety of season 9, which I previously hadn't. I can't really pin down why, but I stopped hating on Reyes after the first few episodes. Hellbound and 4D gave a good sense of what her (and Doggett's) characters could have been if the plotline wasn't so baby baby baby Scully's baby oh my god WHAT'S HAPPENING TO THE BABY baby baby. I never really found her initial attitude jarring, either, because it was interesting seeing the rug get pulled out from under her, to a point where you could see that 'sunshine-and-kittens, just go with the vibe, man' attitude starting to flatline. I figure if the show had gone for another season, she'd have probably fit the tone a lot more, and added something the other characters couldn't.

That said, I found myself kind of wishing that there'd be a Colonization mini-series or something, especially now that it's post-2012, just so we could get a look into how that plays out, since it's argued to be an inevitability (or at least a partial inevitability). The tone would be different enough to not be a re-hash, besides, which I think would be necessary if X-Files were to resurface anytime soon.

EDIT:

Oh, hey, well then...

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1777 posted:

I have an idea for it in my head. The colonisation date has passed and that is something we wouldn't ignore in that story. When they came to us and asked us to do the second movie, they told us the budget limitations and we knew we wouldn't be able to do another mythology story. So we did something much smaller and more intimate - I call it a standalone movie. But if we were going to go forward, I would go back to something that would really connect more to the mythology and to the first movie.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 18, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Old Boot posted:

In other news, I finally watched the entirety of season 9, which I previously hadn't.

Counterpoint: Season 9 had Sunshine Days, which I dug on a variety of levels. The 'monster' is sympathetic, Our Heroes search for respect/proof of weird poo poo turns out to be detrimental, etc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MisterBibs posted:

Counterpoint: Season 9 had Sunshine Days, which I dug on a variety of levels. The 'monster' is sympathetic, Our Heroes search for respect/proof of weird poo poo turns out to be detrimental, etc.

Its Ben from lost and written and directed by Vince Gilligan.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched X-Files here and there as a kid and even watched the first movie in theatres. I asked in the Couch thread which season were worth watching, to which I was advised to simply consider certain episodes. That led me to Empire's list of 20 episodes to watch: http://www.empireonline.com/features/greatest-x-files-episodes

Season 1, Episode 1 Pilot
Season 1, Episode 3 Squeeze
Season 1, Episode 8 Ice
Season 1, Episode 13 Beyond the Sea

Season 2, Episode 5 Duane Barry
Season 2, Episode 8 One Breath
Season 2, Episode 14 Die Hand Die Verletzt

Season 3, Episode 2 Paper Clip
Season 3, Episode 4 Clyde Bruckman's Final Response
Season 3, Episode 10 731
Season 3, Episode 12 War of the Cprophages
Season 3, Episode 15 Piper Maru

Season 4, Episode 2 Home
Season 4, Episode 7 Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man
Season 4, Episode 20 Small Potatoes

Season 5, Episode 5 The Post-Modern Prometheus
Season 5, Episode 12 Bad Blood (Gillian Anderson's favorite ep)

Season 6, Episode 2 Drive
Season 6, Episode 3 Triangle

Season 7, Episode 12 X-Cops

Recommended but not on Empire's list is 3x20, Jose Chung's From Outer Space. Would you guys recommend I revisit the series in this manner?

Aika
Mar 12, 2008

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEAL THE EXITS!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Its Ben from lost and written and directed by Vince Gilligan.

I believe you mean it's Finch from Person of Interest :colbert:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched X-Files here and there as a kid and even watched the first movie in theatres. I asked in the Couch thread which season were worth watching, to which I was advised to simply consider certain episodes. That led me to Empire's list of 20 episodes to watch: http://www.empireonline.com/features/greatest-x-files-episodes

Season 1, Episode 1 Pilot
Season 1, Episode 3 Squeeze
Season 1, Episode 8 Ice
Season 1, Episode 13 Beyond the Sea

Season 2, Episode 5 Duane Barry
Season 2, Episode 8 One Breath
Season 2, Episode 14 Die Hand Die Verletzt

Season 3, Episode 2 Paper Clip
Season 3, Episode 4 Clyde Bruckman's Final Response
Season 3, Episode 10 731
Season 3, Episode 12 War of the Cprophages
Season 3, Episode 15 Piper Maru

Season 4, Episode 2 Home
Season 4, Episode 7 Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man
Season 4, Episode 20 Small Potatoes

Season 5, Episode 5 The Post-Modern Prometheus
Season 5, Episode 12 Bad Blood (Gillian Anderson's favorite ep)

Season 6, Episode 2 Drive
Season 6, Episode 3 Triangle

Season 7, Episode 12 X-Cops

Recommended but not on Empire's list is 3x20, Jose Chung's From Outer Space. Would you guys recommend I revisit the series in this manner?

I recommend watching the whole drat thing but that certainly is an exceptional list of episodes. Post-Modern Prometheus sucks, though. One of the problems with including a number of light-hearted episodes on the list is that they were really few and far between so the contrast to the constant doom and gloom was more striking. Jose Chung's From Outer Space is a glaring omission along with Pusher.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
That actually reminds me of something: in Post-Modern Prometheus, did the monster rape those women? I always thought that myself, but I think I heard a line during my last watch that implied it was more of an artificial insemination thing.

I realize it's a semantical thing, but the sperg in me is curious.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

That actually reminds me of something: in Post-Modern Prometheus, did the monster rape those women? I always thought that myself, but I think I heard a line during my last watch that implied it was more of an artificial insemination thing.

I realize it's a semantical thing, but the sperg in me is curious.

Great episode though it is, he did rape the women. Sex through deceit and all that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why oh why won't fox release a blu-ray box set? The HD remastering work is done. Slap them on a disc and push them out the door. Don't wait on some sort of brand synergy with a possible reboot/sequel.

I really want to listen to Kumail Nanjiani's podcast and I want to couple it with a rewatch of the series. I really don't want to rewatch it again though until I can do so in HD.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

bull3964 posted:

I really want to listen to Kumail Nanjiani's podcast and I want to couple it with a rewatch of the series. I really don't want to rewatch it again though until I can do so in HD.

Haha, this is precisely where I'm at. I don't think we know for sure that they've finished the remastering of the entire series, do we? It must be a ton of work to remaster 200+ episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Slate Action posted:

Haha, this is precisely where I'm at. I don't think we know for sure that they've finished the remastering of the entire series, do we? It must be a ton of work to remaster 200+ episodes.

They finished up this summer. It's done. Really, the only thing that's holding it up it talk about new x-files.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Great episode though it is, he did rape the women. Sex through deceit and all that.

Yeah it's a really awkward episode, because it ends on such a :haw: feel-good moment and then you're like, wait, that dude is a rapist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just watched the pilot. A few things in the beginning of the episode really confused me.

-When Scully first meets Mulder, him talking about marks found on bodies in Sturgis, SD and Shamrock, TX was incredibly distracting. It took me half a dozen tries to realize they had nothing to do with the "4 deaths" that Mulder and Scully keep talking about because those 2 plus the girl who dies at the beginning of the episode + the body they exhume is 4 deaths.

-When Mulder and Scully are driving to the town, Scully mentions that the other 3 autopsy reports didn't indicate anything strange, but they were done by a different medical examiner than did the girl's autopsy. She then says, "You don't think it's the medical examiner, do you?" and Mulder says they want to see if they can get a tissue sample from one of the 3 bodies to match the substance from the girl. Are they implying that the ME who did the first 3 autopsies is a suspect since his reports didn't show anything strange, or are they implying something fishy about the girl's ME?

-It took me even more tries to realize the ME who shows up when they're exhuming the body, he wasn't the one who did the girl's autopsy - he did the first 3. This had made his defensiveness about possibly missing something in the other autopsies confusing. My assumption occurred because, when Mulder and Scully are on the plane to Oregon and Scully is reading a newspaper clipping about the girl's death, the camera focuses on that ME's name in the article, implying he did her autopsy.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 22, 2014

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah it's a really awkward episode, because it ends on such a :haw: feel-good moment and then you're like, wait, that dude is a rapist.

This is my primary objection to that episode. The episode is basically lighthearted because it told us it is. The events depicted are really horrifying and you're just supposed to be ok with it because...? It's too bad the production values are so good because the story is a complete miss.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

cenotaph posted:

This is my primary objection to that episode. The episode is basically lighthearted because it told us it is. The events depicted are really horrifying and you're just supposed to be ok with it because...? It's too bad the production values are so good because the story is a complete miss.

That and Small Potatoes. Je Souhaite is a much better "light hearted" episode than either.

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010

joepinetree posted:

That and Small Potatoes. Je Souhaite is a much better "light hearted" episode than either.

The Ghosts Who Stole Christmas is my favorite light-hearted ep that never seems to get any love. It's funny and a little creepy, plus there's some good commentary on the Mulder-Scully dynamic.

Yeah, I've never liked the Postmodern Prometheus, either, for all of the reasons mentioned above and also Cher.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I gotta say, the lady in Monday is pretty poo poo at dealing with the groundhog day. Bill Murray would have had it all figured out in 2 tries.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Cristatus posted:

The Ghosts Who Stole Christmas is my favorite light-hearted ep that never seems to get any love. It's funny and a little creepy, plus there's some good commentary on the Mulder-Scully dynamic.

It's very underrated indeed. I love the dialogue between Maurice and Mulder.

"Because you're a lonely man. A lonely man chasing paramasturbatory illusions that you believe will give your life meaning and significance and which your pathetic social maladjustment makes impossible for you to find elsewhere. You probably consider yourself passionate, serious, misunderstood. Am I right?"

Mulder: "Paramasturbatory?"

I'm not a big Christmas guy, but I've made it kind of a tradition to watch my favorite Christmas themed TV episodes around this time of the year. "The Ghosts Who Stole Christmas" is one of them, along with the Simpsons pilot, A Very Sunny Christmas, Seinfeld's "The Strike" and South Park's "Woodland Critter Christmas" and "Mr. Hankey".

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Cristatus posted:

Ed Asner and Lily Tomlin together in a single episode made this one of my absolute favorites. I grew up with the Mary Tyler Moore show on Nick at Nite, and Tomlin is fantastic in everything she's been in, so the notion of those two getting married and becoming crotchety ghosts cracked me up way more than it ever should have.

Also, yeah, Mulder-Scully dynamic, but I think this was the first episode I watched solely for the guest stars.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I've just resumed rewatching this on Netflix after lengthy break, and now it appears all the on-screen captions(locations, subtitled dialogue, etc) have been removed. And also the "THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE" tagline and all it's numerous variations have also gone. Someone on reddit claims it was because of licencing issues with the fonts used, which sounds like nonsense to me but there doesn't seem any other explanation forthcoming.

Also Seasons 6-9, which were previously in 16:9 ratio, have now been switched to 4:3 versions. Hmm.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just posting to thank whoever mentioned the x-files files. Really good podcast.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

I gotta say, the lady in Monday is pretty poo poo at dealing with the groundhog day. Bill Murray would have had it all figured out in 2 tries.

Well she's got the responsibility of stopping an event from happening, Murray's just hanging out learning to play piano. Its like the scenes where Murray tried to save the homeless guy, how'd that work out for him?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I always kinda hated the resolution of Monday. She goes through however many iterations of the day, and then figures out the way to resolve it is by yelling at Mulder until he realizes he's stuck in a Groundhog Day and that fixes it somehow. :confused:

There may be more to it than that as I haven't seen it in a few years, but I remember being really disappointed by the ending.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
She resolved it by dying, she was never going to fix it to the point that the robbery didn't happen and she got a happy ending with her boyfriend. Mulder realizing the situation was just what let him and Scully escape.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok that's fine enough, it's just the "Mulder realizes he's in a Groundhog Day because he gets yelled at" that always stuck out to me as annoying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

She resolved it by dying, she was never going to fix it to the point that the robbery didn't happen and she got a happy ending with her boyfriend. Mulder realizing the situation was just what let him and Scully escape.

Yea I think the implication was that the robbery wasn't supposed to happen, but the reason she couldn't figure out how to stop it is because her death was the only thing that could stop it, and obviously that's something that didn't ever occur to her. She was probably supposed to overdose or something the night before and then her boyfriend would be too distraught to rob the bank. Or without her around he wouldn't even have a reason to do it because she's the reason he was so desperate for money.

^^^^^Edit: Mulder getting yelled at isn't what does it, its that she lays the whole thing out for him right before he dies, then when he sees that she was right he repeats "he's got a bomb" over and over to himself like a mantra. Then when he goes back the next day the mantra pops back into his head via deja vu.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 11, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I decided to rewatch the series, and I always wondered why they never mentioned ice again. It seemed like the monster in that is like the black oil, but they never mention a connection. So far season one has had some great episodes and some godawful ones. Its also amazing how much chemistry Mulder and Scully had, and is a bright spot in some terrible ones.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

bobkatt013 posted:

I decided to rewatch the series, and I always wondered why they never mentioned ice again. It seemed like the monster in that is like the black oil, but they never mention a connection. So far season one has had some great episodes and some godawful ones. Its also amazing how much chemistry Mulder and Scully had, and is a bright spot in some terrible ones.

The parasite in Ice only makes you violent. The main thing I would've expected them to bring up again in relation to it is the fact that a) the parasites that have that kind of destructive quality are clearly not meant for the host they're inhabiting (re: the parasite, though able to reproduce (somehow) brings on the death of both it and its host, which is a dead end), which means that b) they were meant to infect something not-terrestrial, and that it specializes in something extraterrestrial, or - of you're listening to anyone other than Mulder - something long-extinct.

The black oil, by contrast, is perfectly engineered to infect humans, does not reproduce (it jumps from person to person instead, and is only a parasite in the sense that it's hitching rides and changing higher-level cognitive behaviours. It can survive on its own, and doesn't depend on the host for (whatever), other than having a walky-talky skin car to test-drive for a little while. Granted, the Ice worms didn't seem to depend entirely on a host, either, but since they seemed to have been working off of theories regarding toxoplasma gondii, I'd imagine that, if the idea was thoroughly explored, the worms were only reproducing asexually, and were missing a crucial second host (or definitive host, if you want to be technical) that enabled sexual reproduction, and for the life cycle to start over again.

EDIT: That said, the black oil does become more of a legit biological parasite during the movie, in that it uses a host's body to allow its "progeny" to gestate. But it's not a failed parasite like the Ice worm was (encounter/compatibility filters are too remote).

The similarities are there, but not enough to make it a talking point, and I'd imagine that spending that kind of time debating the differences between it and a legit parasite would've made a lot of peoples' eyes glaze over.

I'll, uh... :spergin: see myself out now.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 11, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Old Boot posted:

The parasite in Ice only makes you violent. The main thing I would've expected them to bring up again in relation to it is the fact that a) the parasites that have that kind of destructive quality are clearly not meant for the host they're inhabiting (re: the parasite, though able to reproduce (somehow) brings on the death of both it and its host, which is a dead end), which means that b) they were meant to infect something not-terrestrial, and that it specializes in something extraterrestrial, or - of you're listening to anyone other than Mulder - something long-extinct.

The black oil, by contrast, is perfectly engineered to infect humans, does not reproduce (it jumps from person to person instead, and is only a parasite in the sense that it's hitching rides and changing higher-level cognitive behaviours. It can survive on its own, and doesn't depend on the host for (whatever), other than having a walky-talky skin car to test-drive for a little while. Granted, the Ice worms didn't seem to depend entirely on a host, either, but since they seemed to have been working off of theories regarding toxoplasma gondii, I'd imagine that, if the idea was thoroughly explored, the worms were only reproducing asexually, and were missing a crucial second host (or definitive host, if you want to be technical) that enabled sexual reproduction, and for the life cycle to start over again.

EDIT: That said, the black oil does become more of a legit biological parasite during the movie, in that it uses a host's body to allow its "progeny" to gestate. But it's not a failed parasite like the Ice worm was (encounter/compatibility filters are too remote).

The similarities are there, but not enough to make it a talking point, and I'd imagine that spending that kind of time debating the differences between it and a legit parasite would've made a lot of peoples' eyes glaze over.

I'll, uh... :spergin: see myself out now.

I was thinking just a line about how they both come from ice and they have seen something similar.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

bobkatt013 posted:

I was thinking just a line about how they both come from ice and they have seen something similar.

Oh. Well. That works, too.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Old Boot posted:

Oh. Well. That works, too.

I love you, for what it's worth.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just finished War of the Coprophages. Great comedic timing and visual gags. I particularly loved the phone calls between Mulder and Scully. It was fun to see what Scully gets up to when she's not on a case. Cleaning her gun, cleaning her dog, eating ice cream... Great episode. I'm looking forward to Kumail Nanjiani talking to Darin Morgan again about this episode. The third season has been really great so far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I did a rewatch with my roommate this year and we're right at the end of Season 7 where Mulder is about to exit. Its a loving bummer because the chemistry between Duchovney and Anderson is so strong by this point, their banter in some of these episodes carries the whole thing. It would have been great to have another full season of them reacting to ridiculous poo poo like genies, dopplegangers and garbage monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I'm watching X-Files for the first time and just hit episode 21, Tooms, which is the first episode where they revisit a previous monster of the week. In later seasons, do they almost always do a new mystery every week with follow-ups like that being few and far between? Do later seasons have more metaplot?

• Locked thread